Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: Several players aren't thrilled with Urban's coaching style

Anonymous player: “Coach said I need to get better or I would be sitting the bench man. Plus he tells us we got to hustle between drills. What is this, high school?”

Pisco: “Meyer is losing the team.”
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-27-2021, 06:43 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Anonymous player: “Coach said I need to get better or I would be sitting the bench man. Plus he tells us we got to hustle between drills. What is this, high school?”

Pisco: “Meyer is losing the team.”

hah... Prisco was talking about this a week or two ago about how he didnt like it.  But at the time he never made mention of players not liking it.  He probably found one or two guys on the team that didnt like it so he could amplify his own feelings about it.  "I told you it was stupid!!"

(08-26-2021, 05:41 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Too freaking bad. Deal with it. Start winning games. Any player who was 1-15 last year and is complaining should quit football. You are getting paid thousands and thousands and more to play a kids game. Anyone would love to be in your shoes. Stop being the generals and start being the globe trotters.

sure, if agreeing with the coach is all it takes to win championships.

do you think the Giants were on board when Coughlin was there? No, the players were vocal about how they didn't like the way he ran his ship. But, the wins came, and suddenly it wasn't that big of a deal.

Same thing with sprinkles - nobody had a problem with rah-rah, let's have fun until we looked like amateurs on the field. If they were getting to the postseason every year, Gus's schtick might have become the new trend in coaching.

I'll wait for a few regular season games but this has been looking bad for a while, the whole thing not just this.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(08-27-2021, 09:14 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I'll wait for a few regular season games but this has been looking bad for a while, the whole thing not just this.

I can't believe it !  A 1-15 team with a lot of new players, coaching and different schemes looking bad? Hey they had what all of 3 weeks of practice, what gives! You guys crack me up...lol
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-27-2021, 09:37 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-27-2021, 09:14 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I'll wait for a few regular season games but this has been looking bad for a while, the whole thing not just this.

I can't believe it !  A 1-15 team with a lot of new players, coaching and different schemes looking bad? Hey they had what all of 3 weeks of practice, what gives! You guys crack me up...lol

Dude you are dumb. 

I said the whole thing, like trading Oliver and bringing Tebow, drafting a RB at #25, wasting FA money, not upgrading the OL, keeping Warhop etc etc etc.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2021, 01:05 PM by Brett. Edited 1 time in total.)

When you come back and see that your news story is stirring up the pot with 3 pages of replies

[Image: giphy.gif]

Understood you had issue with some if not all of their moves. No issue with your opinion, we all have one. I am entertained by the expectations everyone seemed to have going into this season. Like drafting TL was some sort of silver bullet or something. We win 3-4 games somehow, I would be happy...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I’m honestly not worried. If Urban can show that we can even win a few games with this team, Morale will hold up. Those that don’t want to be here can get dealt or released. It’s going to be a process, perfection takes time. I just hope that he can get the right pieces in place for it to work. Need to start with bolstering the offensive line.

I'm taking this to mean that none of you ever experienced High School football drills in the late 90s.

High school drills from then are by far... BY FAR... tougher than anything these PROFESSIONAL athletes have to deal with anymore.

Why? Because they are beyond them. They lived it, they did it; they are PROFESSIONALS now - they don't need to be told ANYTHING. Why is that hard to understand? Oh wait, I know.. you've never been through a two-a-day.

It always seems like Jags players are unhappy with staff doesn't it? Guess what fixes it? WINNING. If you win, nobody complains.

(08-27-2021, 10:54 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm taking this to mean that none of you ever experienced High School football drills in the late 90s.

This is at least the 4th or 5th time recently that this board has just flatly refused to realize that players now are different than players a generation ago. Everyone may long for the "good ol days" but that's just not reality anymore.

Look, I hated the Urban hire and I was outspoken about that, but are we really getting these reports ALREADY? I seriously hope not.

Hopefully Prisco is just reaching. I would very much like to see success.

(08-27-2021, 11:33 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Look, I hated the Urban hire and I was outspoken about that, but are we really getting these reports ALREADY?  I seriously hope not.

Hopefully Prisco is just reaching.  I would very much like to see success.

Yes, let's go back to ice cream socials after embarrassing losses, where everything is bright, shiny and euphoric..

Let's not push these guys at all, ya know, cause they're not professionals or anything.. 

If they can't stand the heat, exit the kitchen.. Next man up..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(08-27-2021, 11:25 AM)Upper Wrote:
(08-27-2021, 10:54 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm taking this to mean that none of you ever experienced High School football drills in the late 90s.

This is at least the 4th or 5th time recently that this board has just flatly refused to realize that players now are different than players a generation ago. Everyone may long for the "good ol days" but that's just not reality anymore.

I mean, why do we need coaches?  Let's let players dictate how things are run.  That makes perfect sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-27-2021, 09:37 AM)Jag149 Wrote:

You couldn't be more correct regarding the overreaction of many to the Jaguars' poor start. History tells us that even generational quarterbacks need at least one year to get acclimated to the NFL. Why would anyone expect the 2021 Jaguars to be any better than Aikman's 1989 Cowboys or Peyton Manning's 1998 Colts? Those teams won a combined 4 games despite their rookie q.b.'s who became 1st ballot Hall of Famers. There was no way this team could have acquired enough talent in one off-season to make the 2021 team competitive. 

Time will tell whether Meyer can handle coaching a losing team. Regardless of who is coaching this team, the general manager must do better than Baalke has shown during his time here. He failed to bring in one decent tight end despite having Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry as free agents and passing on Pat Freirmuth 3 times after selecting Lawrence. The same can be said about the offensive line. Bringing back all 5 starters from a horrible 2020 performance (specifically pass blocking) and only drafting one offensive lineman (who should eventually be good, but hadn't played in 2 years) was even more inexcusable than the tight end mistakes.  Imagine if Baalke drafted Cosmi and Freirmuth instead of Etienne and Campbell. I still have high hopes for the two guys they did take, but the need was much greater at offensive line and tight end.

Being a Jaguars fan has been very painful for the past 15 years. We have often been disappointed due to unreasonably high expectations at the beginning of each season. My only hopes and expectations for this season is to see the team get better each week regardless of how many games they win. As long as Lawrence can stay healthy and Baalke/Meyer do better in player acquisition the future cannot help be much brighter for this franchise- hopefully as soon as the 2022-23 season.

I think this is a case of a sports reporter (even Prisco) reaching to make a tabloid header...

Of course there will be players who are dissatisfied with certain moves or procedural changes - I mean its basic HUMAN psychology for anyone to possess an opinion regarding any situation.

What you don't want is for something to escalate and boil over into complete defiance or malignancy, a la the Jalen Ramsey debacle. The issue I have with this is that sometimes these media outlets stir the pot for a headline-grabbing piece and if things were poorly run, like the previous FO, would be a catalyst for a volatile relationship between a player and coach/FO.

I highly doubt we are at that point yet given how new this coaching staff is into their tenure and this is more at the level of the media generating clickbait/likes/replies on non-issues like a person potentially having a negative opinion about something at this point.

Prisco is always wrong. Nothing to see here
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Well crap, better bring back Gus. He gave ice cream to everyone, can't beat that!

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2021, 02:37 PM by p_rushing.)

(08-27-2021, 05:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-27-2021, 12:34 AM)p_rushing Wrote: It only matters why he is losing the team. For players to already speak out, that isn't good. If he is working them too hard, announcing losers, etc then who cares. Suck it and play football. If he loses them because of terrible coaching and decisions then that will be bad.

The fact that players are talking means they have no fear and he doesn't have control. Now he has to get rid of those players  or address the issues.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

'Losing the team'.

LOL

It spreads fast and there are always more players that don't speak out. It could just be 1-2 players for now but it will grow specially if they don't win. It could be good to get rid of those players also.