Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sidney Jones Traded?

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 10:11 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 09:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 09:09 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [Emphasis added.]  The problem is that we can't keep trading existing players for draft picks that are highly likely to result in lesser talent.  That's not the way to rebuild.  In fact, that's a great strategy to remain a rebuilding team indefinitely.

Agreed completely.

As I said earlier, the odds of getting a 6th rounder to produce at Sidney Jone' level is low.  Granted, Jones did not have a good game against the Saints.  But for the bulk of his Jaguars career, he vastly outperformed a 6th round pick.

At this point, I have to think Baalke intends to stockpile picks to move up in the next draft.  If that is the ultimate goal, then I might be okay with this.

But if not, if the goal is to just stockpile 3rd day picks for no apparent reason, then it was a mistake getting rid of Jones, even with the bad game against New Orleans.

(08-31-2021, 09:31 AM)Sibelius Wrote: With Baalke it makes sense. Stockpiling all the day 3 picks allows him to grab up all the guys with torn ACLs that no other team will touch.

But he's willing to do that with second and third round picks (Walker Little, Cisco).  If only he were willing to do that with the Tennessee OG that went to KC.  But he had no torn ACL

(08-31-2021, 09:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: People that didn't like this move our the guys that didn't watch the preseason games and just remembered the couple good games he had with us last year.  His play regressed more than any player on the team from last year and not to mention the injury history

I know he had a bad game against New Orleans.

But he's had way more good games with us than bad, and the odds are he'll be better than any 6th rounder we could get.

Is that the only get you watched this preseason?  Lol, you obviously did not watch the Dallas game.  He was the only corner that was getting roasted on every other play by WRs that will likely get cut.  After the 2 or 3 good games he had with us last year he regressed after those as well and started to play poorly.  He hasn't had more good games than bad with us and at least with a 6th you have a chance at getting a player that won't be a liability and can be a role player.  At this point Jones is a liability and we don't need those on the roster. Look at my post and the Dallas he day thread

(08-31-2021, 09:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote: zactly this. It is the same move as we made with Minshew, but nobody soiled their shorts over that move.

Jones wasn't our future at the position. He had plenty of opportunity to convince the new bosses that he was worth keeping, and failed to do so. We got ourselves a sammich of some meat-adjacent substance instead of cutting him and ending up with nothing.

We're in a build. ground up. We're going to see some of the old guard get gone. Let's just hope we get some value out of the picks we're hoarding.

We had a better guy ahead of Minshew, and arguably a better guy behind Minshew.  I can't think of anyone saying Minshew should start over Trevor Lawrence because he was the better player.  Some felt as long as the OL could not pass protect, Minshew should start to take the abuse until the OL could get it together enough to not get TL killed, but nobody thought he should start over TL on the pure merits.

Even with his bad game against New Orleans, there are plenty who see Jones is a better alternative than Herndon or even Campbell, and he's likely to be better than any 6th rounder we could get.

That's the difference.

You keep saying bad game against NO like that's the only bad game he has had lol.  His game against Dallas was worse than that and not even gonna talk about when his play fell off last year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-31-2021, 09:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 08:12 AM)Mikey Wrote: zactly this. It is the same move as we made with Minshew, but nobody soiled their shorts over that move.

Jones wasn't our future at the position. He had plenty of opportunity to convince the new bosses that he was worth keeping, and failed to do so. We got ourselves a sammich of some meat-adjacent substance instead of cutting him and ending up with nothing.

We're in a build. ground up. We're going to see some of the old guard get gone. Let's just hope we get some value out of the picks we're hoarding.

We had a better guy ahead of Minshew, and arguably a better guy behind Minshew.  I can't think of anyone saying Minshew should start over Trevor Lawrence because he was the better player.  Some felt as long as the OL could not pass protect, Minshew should start to take the abuse until the OL could get it together enough to not get TL killed, but nobody thought he should start over TL on the pure merits.

Even with his bad game against New Orleans, there are plenty who see Jones is a better alternative than Herndon or even Campbell, and he's likely to be better than any 6th rounder we could get.

That's the difference.
Jones isn't a better alternative than Herndon.  Herndon has shown he is decent at nickel and was the best corner in camp before the injury, and Campbell hasn't even played in a regular season game yet.  Campbell got beat a couple times in Preseason but at least he was there and didn't get his head around.  Jones has just been getting roasted all preseason and likely at practice

(08-31-2021, 10:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 09:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: We had a better guy ahead of Minshew, and arguably a better guy behind Minshew.  I can't think of anyone saying Minshew should start over Trevor Lawrence because he was the better player.  Some felt as long as the OL could not pass protect, Minshew should start to take the abuse until the OL could get it together enough to not get TL killed, but nobody thought he should start over TL on the pure merits.

That's the difference.
Jones isn't a better alternative than Herndon.  Herndon has shown he is decent at nickel and was the best corner in camp before the injury, and Campbell hasn't even played in a regular season game yet.  Campbell got beat a couple times in Preseason but at least he was there and didn't get his head around.  Jones has just been getting roasted all preseason and likely at practice

That's laughable.

It proves Campbell is not ready. Throwing him out there now, means he will be a huge liability.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 11:00 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones isn't a better alternative than Herndon.  Herndon has shown he is decent at nickel and was the best corner in camp before the injury, and Campbell hasn't even played in a regular season game yet.  Campbell got beat a couple times in Preseason but at least he was there and didn't get his head around.  Jones has just been getting roasted all preseason and likely at practice

That's laughable.

It proves Campbell is not ready. Throwing him out there now, means he will be a huge liability.

Did you watch him in camp or did you miss the reports?  

Neither is Jones, it's clear you haven't watched him play if you are upset about getting a pick for him lol.  He was torched more than any corner on this team in the preseason against guys that likely won't make their team.

(08-31-2021, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's laughable.

Did you watch him in camp or did you miss the reports?  

Neither is Jones, it's clear you haven't watched him play if you are upset about getting a pick for him lol.  He was torched more than any corner on this team in the preseason against guys that likely won't make this team.

I don't care about camp or the preseason. In actual games, Jones has been much, much better than Herndon. For years I have watched Herndon give up big play after big play. He should be nowhere near the starting rotation. Now, we have a huge liability (Herndon) and a guy who is nowhere near ready to see the field (Campbell.) If we don't develop some kind of pass rush, (which we didn't have last year and so far, I have yet to see in preseason,) this is gonna be a horrible year for the pass defense.

(08-31-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did you watch him in camp or did you miss the reports?  

Neither is Jones, it's clear you haven't watched him play if you are upset about getting a pick for him lol.  He was torched more than any corner on this team in the preseason against guys that likely won't make this team.

I don't care about camp or the preseason. In actual games, Jones has been much, much better than Herndon. For years I have watched Herndon give up big play after big play. He should be nowhere near the starting rotation. Now, we have a huge liability (Herndon) and a guy who is nowhere near ready to see the field (Campbell.) If we don't develop some kind of pass rush, (which we didn't have last year and so far, I have yet to see in preseason,) this is gonna be a horrible year for the pass defense.

[Image: vxl-virgin-xl.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did you watch him in camp or did you miss the reports?  

Preseason is a game going against lesser competition, what do you think happens when he goes up against a better WR?    Jones was arguable the worst player on defense this Preseason and you are crying about getting a pick for him lol.  For the 2 good games he had last year his play fell off after that as well, he just isn't good and not to mention the injury history.  Luckily to get a pick for a guy that was a huge liability against guys that will get cut and a guy that we would of cut

Jones is an outside cb. Meaning he needs to be 1 or 2. Slot corners are generally shorter and need to be good tacklers and feisty due to blitzing. Jones is a taller, leaner, OUTSIDE cb.

(08-31-2021, 11:10 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't care about camp or the preseason. In actual games, Jones has been much, much better than Herndon. For years I have watched Herndon give up big play after big play. He should be nowhere near the starting rotation. Now, we have a huge liability (Herndon) and a guy who is nowhere near ready to see the field (Campbell.) If we don't develop some kind of pass rush, (which we didn't have last year and so far, I have yet to see in preseason,) this is gonna be a horrible year for the pass defense.

Preseason is a game going against lesser competition, what do you think happens when he goes up against a better WR?    Jones was arguable the worst player on defense this Preseason and you are crying about getting a pick for him lol.  For the 2 good games he had last year his play fell off after that as well, he just isn't good and not to mention the injury history.  Luckily to get a pick for a guy that was a huge liability against guys that will get cut and a guy that we would of cut

Herndon has consistently been beaten the entire time he has been here. Campbell surely hasn't proven he is ready to play. What's your point?

(08-31-2021, 09:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:57 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: There was talk of us talking to teams about trading Henderson so im guessing hes staying and Jones was the odd guy out.

He was solid last season for us and i rate him above Herndon. 

Be interesting to see what we do with all these 6th round picks.

Knowing Baalke's history, I have to think moving up is a possibility.

I get you, we certainly have plenty of later round picks to use to trade up but i cant see them being of much use until late 3rd round onwards. We only have one pick (so far) in the first 4 rounds and i just cant see anyone switching say 2nd rounders unless we gave them all the 6th round picks if you get me.

Id kinda like to see us try and use those later picks to bring in guys, basically the opposite to what weve been doing. Most of us a few weeks back would have had Schobert and Jones as starters/key backups.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 01:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-31-2021, 12:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 11:10 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Preseason is a game going against lesser competition, what do you think happens when he goes up against a better WR?    Jones was arguable the worst player on defense this Preseason and you are crying about getting a pick for him lol.  For the 2 good games he had last year his play fell off after that as well, he just isn't good and not to mention the injury history.  Luckily to get a pick for a guy that was a huge liability against guys that will get cut and a guy that we would of cut

Herndon has consistently been beaten the entire time he has been here. Campbell surely hasn't proven he is ready to play. What's your point?
Jones has proven he gets destroyed by back ups.  Campbell is a rookie that at least has had good position if he turns his head around, Jones just gets burned

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 01:41 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-31-2021, 01:15 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 09:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Knowing Baalke's history, I have to think moving up is a possibility.

I get you, we certainly have plenty of later round picks to use to trade up but i cant see them being of much use until late 3rd round onwards. We only have one pick (so far) in the first 4 rounds and i just cant see anyone switching say 2nd rounders unless we gave them all the 6th round picks if you get me.

Id kinda like to see us try and use those later picks to bring in guys, basically the opposite to what weve been doing. Most of us a few weeks back would have had Schobert and Jones as starters/key backups.

They could be maneuverability in moving back in the draft. Make a team feel more likely to give up 2 higher picks or such.

I just feel that people are overestimated these guys. Sure they are depth and okay.

But this team was 1-15 last year and will be lucky to win 5-6 games even with those Vets. Better to see which younger players can perform instead of just paying these guys and holding back any development for guys that just need reps to see how they turn out.

(08-31-2021, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 12:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Herndon has consistently been beaten the entire time he has been here. Campbell surely hasn't proven he is ready to play. What's your point?
Jones has proven he gets destroyed by back ups.  Campbell is a rookie that at least has had good position if he turns his head around, Jones just gets burned

In preseason. It's basically practice. Herndon on ther other hand, gets destroyed in actual games....... that count! Despite whether Campbell gets good position, he isn't ready to play, at all. That is very evident. Hopefully, he gets better, but for now, he needs to sit and learn. We can't have 2 liabilities in the secondary.

(08-31-2021, 02:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones has proven he gets destroyed by back ups.  Campbell is a rookie that at least has had good position if he turns his head around, Jones just gets burned

In preseason. It's basically practice. Herndon on ther other hand, gets destroyed in actual games....... that count! Despite whether Campbell gets good position, he isn't ready to play, at all. That is very evident. Hopefully, he gets better, but for now, he needs to sit and learn. We can't have 2 liabilities in the secondary.

Jones was getting beat like a drum last year after his 2 good games.  Herndon never really got destroyed in the slot, it was when he was playing outside against the other teams starters.  Jones is getting destroyed against players that won't even make those teams.   It's funny you think Jones is automatically gonna go out here and not be a liability against teams starters lol, not to mention the injury history lol.  Campbell hasn't even played a game yet so how do you know?  It's just practice remember.

(08-31-2021, 02:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 02:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In preseason. It's basically practice. Herndon on ther other hand, gets destroyed in actual games....... that count! Despite whether Campbell gets good position, he isn't ready to play, at all. That is very evident. Hopefully, he gets better, but for now, he needs to sit and learn. We can't have 2 liabilities in the secondary.

Jones was getting beat like a drum last year after his 2 good games.  Herndon never really got destroyed in the slot, it was when he was playing outside against the other teams starters.  Jones is getting destroyed against players that won't even make those teams.   It's funny you think Jones is automatically gonna go out here and not be a liability against teams starters lol, not to mention the injury history lol.  Campbell hasn't even played a game yet so how do you know?  It's just practice remember.

Jones has consistently been less of a liability than Herndon has over the years. I've seen all the games and that is exactly what I've witnessed. Neither Jones or Herndon are ideal, which is why they aren't starters, but given the choice between the two, I'd take Jones 10 times out of 10. I would've cut Herndon a year or two ago. As far as Campbell, it's not even about his poor preseason. He couldn't track a ball in college either which is why that was on all of his scouting reports. He wasn't even the best CB on his college team. Eric Stokes was. I stand by what I said. This kid is not ready to see the field, until he proves he can track the ball in the air.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 03:31 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

There's been nothing about Urban's coaching that makes me think he's ready for the big boy leagues. Including personnel decisions.

He's just crap.

Ohh hooray he beat the Cowboys who rested every single starter... our guys beat future grocery baggers... awesome.. I'll congratulate them at Publix.

(08-31-2021, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 02:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones was getting beat like a drum last year after his 2 good games.  Herndon never really got destroyed in the slot, it was when he was playing outside against the other teams starters.  Jones is getting destroyed against players that won't even make those teams.   It's funny you think Jones is automatically gonna go out here and not be a liability against teams starters lol, not to mention the injury history lol.  Campbell hasn't even played a game yet so how do you know?  It's just practice remember.

Jones has consistently been less of a liability than Herndon has over the years. I've seen all the games and that is exactly what I've witnessed. Neither Jones or Herndon are ideal, which is why they aren't starters, but given the choice between the two, I'd take Jones 10 times out of 10. I would've cut Herndon a year or two ago. As far as Campbell, it's not even about his poor preseason. He couldn't track a ball in college either which is why that was on all of his scouting reports. He wasn't even the best CB on his college team. Eric Stokes was. I stand by what I said. This kid is not ready to see the field, until he proves he can track the ball in the air.

Neither Jones or Herndon are ideal but you keep pounding fists on table?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-31-2021, 05:17 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Jones has consistently been less of a liability than Herndon has over the years. I've seen all the games and that is exactly what I've witnessed. Neither Jones or Herndon are ideal, which is why they aren't starters, but given the choice between the two, I'd take Jones 10 times out of 10. I would've cut Herndon a year or two ago. As far as Campbell, it's not even about his poor preseason. He couldn't track a ball in college either which is why that was on all of his scouting reports. He wasn't even the best CB on his college team. Eric Stokes was. I stand by what I said. This kid is not ready to see the field, until he proves he can track the ball in the air.

Neither Jones or Herndon are ideal but you keep pounding fists on table?

Because your never going to have the ideal player at every position. Sometimes you have to settle for the guy that's gonna cause the least amount of damage on defense.

(08-31-2021, 05:42 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...fgAZg&s=19

He'll win it by default, even though he sucks. Who's he even competing with now that Jones is gone? Campbell certainly isn't ready and the rest of the corners left are complete scrubs.