Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can we redeem the season with a coaching change?

Quote:I think so, but it won't happen until we are 0-5 or something similar and it will be too late.
I think that no change will take place unless we get to the point where 8-8 cannot be reached; then it's possible that Shad may sack Gus... but I doubt it. If we have another losing season I think Shad will wait until the end of the season before Gus gets his walking papers... for better or worse.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This team is 19-63 since Oehser joined incase anybody lost count.

Quote:Everyone on this board that wants Gus and the staff fired to "change the scheme" does not understand that teams cannot change scheme's mid season, especially given the new practice limitations instituted by the CBA.

Any new scheme would be so simple that every NFL team would destroy it. Teams are too smart and scouting is too good. Granted, today Rivers tore up the Jags anyways, but that was more about players making mistakes on the field, Rivers getting the team to show their disguises, and TO's. Less so the purely bad schemes.

Paul Poz covering the Chargers fastest receiver was all scheme.

Quote:Just play nickle defense, Telvin and Jack at lb, d-line Fowler, Odrick or Marks rotate Jackson, and Yannick. Play cover 3 or single high behind it. That's literally all they need to do.

You really think they can just play that base defense and get away with it in the NFL? Heck, teams cannot do that and get away with that in the SEC.

Only teams that do at and win are ones with great players or players with a career year at basically every position, especially at pass rusher. All our potential great players are too young in their careers, and no one currently expects any defensive player to have a career year.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:You really think they can just play that base defense and get away with it in the NFL? Heck, teams cannot do that and get away with that in the SEC.

Only teams that do at and win are ones with great players or players with a career year at basically every position, especially at pass rusher. All our potential great players are too young in their careers, and no one currently expects any defensive player to have a career year.
I don't know what you have been watching but what we currently have been running is not working. Nothing has worked lol. They have ran everything other than what I just suggested. And of course I know you can't run the same thing but at some point you have to play to your players strengths. Run a scheme around the player you got. That is the scheme we should run based on our personal. Either Nickle or 2-4-5.

There is no way you truly believe they are putting our players in the best positions possible.

Quote:Paul Poz covering the Chargers fastest receiver was all scheme.

To me that was a recognition on Poz. I remember it as a Nickel with 3 WR on Poz's side. Telvin took the TE coming off the line and Poz stayed where he was.

In that situation, Telvin and Poz have to switch sides pre-snap.I highly doubt any defensive coach has requires Poz to cover that receiver as part of any scheme.

I would agree, that is a reason to have Jack in at least sometimes in Nickel. However, you could tell Jack was slow in recognition and lacking some game awareness in the 4th quarter. 

Quote:I don't know what you have been watching but what we currently have been running is not working. Nothing has worked lol. They have ran everything other than what I just suggested. And of course I know you can't run the same thing but at some point you have to play to your players strengths. Run a scheme around the player you got. That is the scheme we should run based on our personal. Either Nickle or 2-4-5.

There is no way you truly believe they are putting our players in the best positions possible.

The coaching issues I think are more with reading the situations and understanding what the offense is trying to do on every play. The defense, especially the LB's were reacting every time instead of knowing where every play was going at the snap. 

Sure you cannot do that every time, but we have faced this team before and they have had a similar offense for a few years. You have to scout and prepare the players better. I feel that is more of an issue than the wrong scheme. 

Also the penalties. 

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016, 08:28 PM by Etdavis2006.)

There are schemes that you can run that will put your best talent on the field. Odrick at DE and Poz on a wideout against a 3 receiver set is inexcusable. This is basic stuff this team should understand in certain situations and all to often I see a big end on a 3rd and 7. I see linebackers coveringing receivers on passing downs. Our slowest and worst coverage backer at that. Other teams are exploiting this simple lapses in poor scheming.

Normally I don't critique coaching but the talent level is too improved to play a game like this. Our roster is better than San Diego's. Coaching is the issue now...

Pull the plug and lettem die already.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Fire them now, the scheme stays or becomes basic. Fire them at the end of the season and we still get torched all year. I'm fine with cutting ties now. At least we won't be wondering after week 17 if something is going to change
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016, 08:26 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:The coaching issues I think are more with reading the situations and understanding what the offense is trying to do on every play. The defense, especially the LB's were reacting every time instead of knowing where every play was going at the snap.

Sure you cannot do that every time, but we have faced this team before and they have had a similar offense for a few years. You have to scout and prepare the players better. I feel that is more of an issue than the wrong scheme.

Also the penalties.
It's that as well as scheme. Trust me. I am not one to jump on coaches. I have beat the drum for Gus. But what I'm seeing is inexcusable. A big end should not be rushing the qb on 3rd and 7. We play no type of bump and run consistently even though we specifically go after long, tall corner because they do that well.

I could keep going on the the schematic deficiencies I'm seeing. Now for the record I'm no NFL coach but if I can see these thing I know paid professionals can. There are simple things we can do that would make our defense at least middle of the pack and that isn't happening.

Quote:It's that as well as scheme. Trust me. I am not one to jump on coaches. I have beat the drum for Gus. But what I'm seeing is inexcusable. A big end should not be rushing the qb on 3rd and 7. We play no type of bump and run consistently even though we specifically go after long, tall corner because they do that well.

I could keep going on the the schematic deficiencies I'm seeing. Now for the record I'm no NFL coach but if I can see these thing I know paid professionals can. There are simple things we can do that would make our defense at least middle of the pack and that isn't happening.

It probably is everything. My earlier point was just that, it is extremely difficult to change everything midseason, even if none it has been working before. I mean this is scheme some of these guys have been learning for a few years, one of the late TD's was still because Gratz was stupid and played man instead staying in the flat for the zone coverage that everyone else was playing. If players are still making mistakes like that with a scheme that they have been learning all offseason, how many mistakes do you think they will make changing schemes mid season. And he was not the only one making those mistakes. 

Put Denard in  

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2016, 08:39 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:It probably is everything. My earlier point was just that, it is extremely difficult to change everything midseason, even if none it has been working before. I mean this is scheme some of these guys have been learning for a few years, one of the late TD's was still because Gratz was stupid and played man instead staying in the flat for the zone coverage that everyone else was playing. If players are still making mistakes like that with a scheme that they have been learning all offseason, how many mistakes do you think they will make changing schemes mid season. And he was not the only one making those mistakes.

This is true as well. It just seems like that still falls back on coaching. The thing about having a young team is that they may not have experience but they will do what you are telling them to do. Wether it works or not. Wether they want to or in spite of you. They will run exactly what you tell them too. That may have been a mental lapse but this many mental lapses is baffling. I can understand 1 here or there but we have multiple mental lapses every play. We always have 3 or 4 guys out of position or running the wrong thing every play. That is coaching.

REFS can't seeing nothing 

They have to fire Gus.. this cant keep going on

I think gus is one of the many coordinators who have been hired as a head coach over the years, purely because of a good two or three years by their respective side of the ball, where the players out played the coaches schemes so to speak. There is absolutely no reason that after three years and how much gus has supposedly "molded" or "built" this team, that we should have had to watch this display today. There is no reason myles jack should have not been out there covering guys that burned poz. He has no idea how to make adjustments or gameplan or even manage a clock. He's a swell fella, but he is crippling this team with his incompetence, especially on the side of the ball that is his specialty.

I attribute this loss to one poster that jinxed us by trying to convince a few others on here that, "gus has cultivated a winning environment and attitude on this team."

Also I'm not sure what's going on with oly but those screens have got to go, as well as trying to make plays succeed without trying to set them up first. He has no rythym in his calls right now and seems to try and run the same plays after the defense has already made adjustments.

And yes I understand that I'm ranting because we lost, but the more disheartening fact is that I don't really know of any other coaches on this roster or in the league that can step in and take this team to success land.

So waah.
Chicken nuggets is like my family.

Greg Roman's unexpectedly available after being scapegoated for the Ryan brothers' ineptitude. The guy made something out of nothing with Kaepernick and Tyrod anyhow.

Quote:Greg Roman's unexpectedly available after being scapegoated for the Ryan brothers' ineptitude. The guy made something out of nothing with Kaepernick and Tyrod anyhow.

Roman would be very welcome here