Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Got out coached today...

Baguars already. Smh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 08:37 PM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-12-2021, 08:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 08:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's difficult to believe people are already talking about Meyer leaving after one game. Good gravy, he's just coached his first NFL game, give him a chance to adjust.

The problem is so many folks were wearing Trevor Lawrence glasses that they forgot about the rest of the team coming off a 1-15 season with an all new staff.

New coaches+bad players+inexperienced QB=rough season. We got the change we wanted from last year, let's give it time to develop.
Culley coached his first game with a far worse roster and yet severely outcoached Urban.

There were so many issues here but Shipley lays it out better than me.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/gameday/t...owout-loss

Exactly! some people just love to ignore that to... well, make excuses, like always.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Dang that writer encapsulated my heart break this off season. Jeez I hope this is just one game and not a bigger problem.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I think our players have some problems. Loser mentality. No heart. Try to out coach with that. Hopefully this gets improved

(09-12-2021, 08:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 08:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's difficult to believe people are already talking about Meyer leaving after one game. Good gravy, he's just coached his first NFL game, give him a chance to adjust.

The problem is so many folks were wearing Trevor Lawrence glasses that they forgot about the rest of the team coming off a 1-15 season with an all new staff.

New coaches+bad players+inexperienced QB=rough season. We got the change we wanted from last year, let's give it time to develop.
Culley coached his first game with a far worse roster and yet severely outcoached Urban.

I agree, but you have to take into consideration the experience level between Culley and Meyer. 

Meyer was terrible today, but I just don't see a guy with a head for success like his to continue doing the same wrong things over and over. I'll give him a four or five game benefit of the doubt before beginning to doubt his abilities to be an effective NFL HC.

(09-12-2021, 08:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 08:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Culley coached his first game with a far worse roster and yet severely outcoached Urban.

I agree, but you have to take into consideration the experience level between Culley and Meyer. 

Meyer was terrible today, but I just don't see a guy with a head for success like his to continue doing the same wrong things over and over. I'll give him a four or five game benefit of the doubt before beginning to doubt his abilities to be an effective NFL HC.
I think if this had been against any other team in the NFL, I wouldn’t be as skeptical.

But this Texans team is atrocious and they blew out the Jags.

Today reminded me a lot of opening day 2019 against Andy Reid. 

Mollywhooped.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 03:54 AM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

Meyer will likely pull a Nick Saban and leave on his own accord before season's end. Of course this is a really early statement.. but he was hired to help turn the team around he didn't inherit a pro bowl roster of a renowned franchise.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 06:32 AM by The Real Marty.)

(09-12-2021, 04:27 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Team wasn't ready, came out nervous, had no fire. Didn't look as though they game planned for the Texans. Did Trevor no favors by not running the ball. Team was undisciplined.

That's the most complete and accurate assessment, using the least number of words, I've seen yet.

(09-12-2021, 04:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The unforced errors with clock Mgmt, pre snap issues, formation and false start penalties, secondary and LB corps looking frantic and lost pre-snap on dozens of plays…

All this points to coaching. Not that it’s all on coaching, but those issues typically do indicate a lack of preparation that has to be partly blamed on the staff.

Yes, that.  Totally, that.  ^

(09-12-2021, 04:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And this all means that Meyer will micromanage the whole process even more next week.

80 passes?

(09-12-2021, 04:41 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Houston was the aggressor and they came away with the win.  Sixteen game losing streak. Team looked tentative and unprepared.

The difference in coaching approaches on the sideline was noticeable. Culley was his team's biggest cheerleader, was right there to greet and celebrate with his guys after a defensive stop or score, and had all kinds of enthusiasm.

Urbz just scowled like he always does. Has he even smiled since signing an 8-figure contract?

On a few plays, the wide outs were uncovered pre-snap and then covered by a linebacker. Better QBs are going to quick snap and eat that up. Can we redraft and redo free agency too?

How about a different hire?

A few weeks from now, I hope this post will seem like a total knee jerk reaction but this feels bad.
The Khan Years

(09-12-2021, 04:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 04:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You assume he's open to change.

It's not like he has a choice. Continuing on the same path will not only conflict with his desire to succeed, but will get him fired, which I think would be worse than death to someone like him.

wrong, continuing on this path will re-kindle his prior health problems. He will step away before the heat focuses solely on him, as he tends to do.

Good lord. This is almost comical to read. Let’s give them at least a few weeks to figure it out before calling for tying stones to their legs and tossing them in the river. 6 wins would’ve been a good season with this roster, if we see growth from Lawrence and Meyer. If it looks this bad 3-4 weeks from now, then it’s a much larger problem. Let’s just see what happens?

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 08:42 AM by Mikey.)

(09-12-2021, 05:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 04:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I know best so I must do more. That's the ego of a personality like Urban Meyer.

We'll see, but I don't think that will be the case. People like Meyer don't get to be that successful without being receptive to differences.

As I've stated in the game day thread, this was our worst game. We will improve with every game.

Just based on his past controversies, I will choose to differ with you on this one. If Urbz thinks something is ok, he's not considering the outside perspectives that might be justified or the consequences of his ego.

(09-12-2021, 05:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 05:07 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: It looks like a good pick to me, he's just hurt.

Hate to be the villain, but as I said, Robinson is nothing special. He has nice wiggle, but for only a few yards. The run game was no threat. I think he's what Urban saw him as, a good 2 back in a 1/2 punch.

On the bright side...I think we lost one we should've won, and we'll win one we should lose. Such is the NFL for mediocre teams.

Robinson had a grand total of 5 carries... LOL

baptism by fire for the rook. Doesn't help that a number of runs (not just JRob's) were called back due to penalty.

(09-13-2021, 08:40 AM)JeepJag Wrote: Good lord. This is almost comical to read. Let’s give them at least a few weeks to figure it out before calling for tying stones to their legs and tossing them in the river. 6 wins would’ve been a good season with this roster, if we see growth from Lawrence and Meyer. If it looks this bad 3-4 weeks from now, then it’s a much larger problem. Let’s just see what happens?

I don't think anyone is checking out already, but it was discouraging to say the least.

I am not confident that "build from the ground up" plays to our coach's strength. I am confident that we have a damn good prospect at QB. We'll see on both accounts as the season progresses.

(09-13-2021, 08:41 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 05:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We'll see, but I don't think that will be the case. People like Meyer don't get to be that successful without being receptive to differences.

As I've stated in the game day thread, this was our worst game. We will improve with every game.

Just based on his past controversies, I will choose to differ with you on this one. If Urbz thinks something is ok, he's not considering the outside perspectives that might be justified or the consequences of his ego.

In what world would Urban Meyer believe “something is ok” out of yesterday’s result?

(09-13-2021, 08:41 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 05:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We'll see, but I don't think that will be the case. People like Meyer don't get to be that successful without being receptive to differences.

(09-12-2021, 05:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Robinson had a grand total of 5 carries... LOL

baptism by fire for the rook. Doesn't help that a number of runs (not just JRob's) were called back due to penalty.

You can't abandon half your plays because of a penalty.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-13-2021, 08:40 AM)JeepJag Wrote: Good lord. This is almost comical to read. Let’s give them at least a few weeks to figure it out before calling for tying stones to their legs and tossing them in the river. 6 wins would’ve been a good season with this roster, if we see growth from Lawrence and Meyer. If it looks this bad 3-4 weeks from now, then it’s a much larger problem. Let’s just see what happens?

Thing is we have a whole off season of head scratching decisions. And in each case we have some chicken little responses and other people saying wait for this wait for that.

Hey we would have to over pay for the big free agents, he likes the oline and he can work with it

Hey the draft didn't go like you wanted but they got these jars on the shelf guys coming off injury that would have graded higher otherwise

Hey Meyer let the Front Office sign Tebow let's see how it shakes out

Hey a QB competition is good because Lawrence can learn and be challenged don't worry about the snaps and working with the 1st stringers there is time

Hey it is just preseason and vanilla game plans, do you really want them tipping their hand

Hey it is just week 1 and sure the other teams coaching staff exposed our coaches but there is time to fix things

Bad patterns and trends are bad until change occurs. I don't expect miracles but it would be nice if....

We used James Robinson more
Lined up correctly 
Saw game plan adjustments 
Executed plays without formation and procedural errors
The Khan Years

(09-13-2021, 08:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 08:41 AM)Mikey Wrote: Just based on his past controversies, I will choose to differ with you on this one. If Urbz thinks something is ok, he's not considering the outside perspectives that might be justified or the consequences of his ego.

In what world would Urban Meyer believe “something is ok” out of yesterday’s result?

Honestly this is the first time he's really experienced something like this because he could always outscheme lesser coaches and out talent better ones. Now he's dealing with a level playing field and I just don't know that he is all that great when that's the case.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato