Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impresssions from the Texans Game-Wk 1

(09-13-2021, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 10:49 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I posted this in another thread, but in Jimmy Johnson’s first game coaching Troy Aikman and new roster, they: 

- Were shutout 28-0
- Committed 10 penalties for 92 yards 
- turned the ball over twice 
- Aikman didn’t even crack 200 yards 

This was against a middle of the road Saints team. Familiar right?

I’m not saying Urban is going to become a great coach. My point is that even for the great college to NFL coaches, it’s a learning curve. 

Now if this crap is happening still in Week 9, yeah. Let’s release the wolves

See my response above. We came out with a rookie QB, rookie Hc, new staff, mediocre at best line, and so on. 

The Colts lost to the worst team in the league week 1 last year and made the playoffs. You can’t judge overall prospects on week 1 you just can’t

You have to really give it to mid season to truly gauge what the team will be, and truly evaluate Meyer. Some would even say that’s too soon. But with the weird off-season, I think it’s not

I agree with all of this.

I guess what really surprises me is so many people on this board, who routinely demonstrate extensive football knowledge, are so shocked we did so badly yesterday. What it was, was Trevor Lawrence fever. Too many people convinced themselves that Sunshine was going to cure all, regardless of the fact that he's a purely raw rookie, as is the Head Coach, who are both trying leverage a team that was 1-15 last season.

Breathe people. Yes, we lost to the projected worst team in the NFL.  But truly, what ever convinced ANYONE that we could possibly be better than any team with the bad roster, an atrocious OL, and the rookie players and coaches we have? Most of you guys set the bar wayyyy too high with almost nothing realistic to set it on. 

Take off the Trevor glasses and soak in the suck. This is the reality. The good news is we will get better. Is a .250 season reachable? I thought I was being optimistic with that. But as long as we see steady improvement with the basics and things start to tighten up, there's no need to talk about burning it down, unless as Samus says, we're 9 games in and nothing is improving. Personally, I'll give it 5 games, but I'm flexible.

I did not expect the '92 Cowboys, but I expected a team that could do football basics like lining up in formation on the first play of the game and covering a running back on a wheel route. The team we saw yesterday didn't look bad, they looked unprepared.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-13-2021, 10:49 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I posted this in another thread, but in Jimmy Johnson’s first game coaching Troy Aikman and new roster, they: 

- Were shutout 28-0
- Committed 10 penalties for 92 yards 
- turned the ball over twice 
- Aikman didn’t even crack 200 yards 

This was against a middle of the road Saints team. Familiar right?

I’m not saying Urban is going to become a great coach. My point is that even for the great college to NFL coaches, it’s a learning curve. 

Now if this crap is happening still in Week 9, yeah. Let’s release the wolves

See my response above. We came out with a rookie QB, rookie Hc, new staff, mediocre at best line, and so on. 

The Colts lost to the worst team in the league week 1 last year and made the playoffs. You can’t judge overall prospects on week 1 you just can’t

You have to really give it to mid season to truly gauge what the team will be, and truly evaluate Meyer. Some would even say that’s too soon. But with the weird off-season, I think it’s not

I guess what really surprises me is so many people on this board, who routinely demonstrate extensive football knowledge, are so shocked we did so badly yesterday. What it was, was Trevor Lawrence fever. Too many people convinced themselves that Sunshine was going to cure all, regardless of the fact that he's a purely raw rookie, as is the Head Coach, who are both trying leverage a team that was 1-15 last season.

Breathe people. Yes, we lost to the projected worst team in the NFL.  But truly, what ever convinced ANYONE that we could possibly be better than any team with the bad roster, an atrocious OL, and the rookie players and coaches we have? Most of you guys set the bar wayyyy too high with almost nothing realistic to set it on. 

Take off the Trevor glasses and soak in the suck. This is the reality. The good news is we will get better. Is a .250 season reachable? I thought I was being optimistic with that. But as long as we see steady improvement with the basics and things start to tighten up, there's no need to talk about burning it down, unless as Samus says, we're 9 games in and nothing is improving. Personally, I'll give it 5 games, but I'm flexible.

Woah, another level headed take.

Again, I am definitely down in the dumps over the result yesterday. The texans are bad. But crazy stuff happens in Week 1 every year, and the pundits who declare "Team X has arrived' or "team Y will not win a single game" almost always end up adjusting their "hot" take. We need a body of work before we embrace cautious hope or abject disappointment. The Modis building   Wells Fargo Building isn't going anywhere folks.

(09-13-2021, 11:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I did not expect the '92 Cowboys, but I expected a team that could do football basics like lining up in formation on the first play of the game and covering a running back on a wheel route. The team we saw yesterday didn't look bad, they looked unprepared.

Not to sound like a broken record, but those Cowboys you referenced; when they started their long rebuild in week 1 '89, came out just as unprepared and got smacked in the mouth. Committed multiple turnovers and penalties. Didn't even score. Bad teams with new coaches just tend to start unprepared.

And our QB threw three interceptions. Rookie QB and rookie HC. 

Improvement will happen.

(09-13-2021, 11:26 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 11:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I did not expect the '92 Cowboys, but I expected a team that could do football basics like lining up in formation on the first play of the game and covering a running back on a wheel route. The team we saw yesterday didn't look bad, they looked unprepared.

Not to sound like a broken record, but those Cowboys you referenced; when they started their long rebuild in week 1 '89, came out just as unprepared and got smacked in the mouth. Committed multiple turnovers and penalties. Didn't even score. Bad teams with new coaches just tend to start unprepared.

And I said somewhere else that I think most of these things can be corrected, but it's still disappointing to see the team do those basic things fairly well in the exhibitions and then act like they got hit with the Stupid Stick in pre-game yesterday.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Did James Robinson sleep with Urbans wife?

Having your rookie QB throw 51 times in his first gsme against the 29th ranked run defense from.a year ago is unforgivable.

Exactly. No one expected young players to be like veterans, we expected the team to look like it had the largest coaching staff on the league preparing them to not look like they had not practiced at all with repeated procedure penalties.

It reminded me of when I was a kid (back in the dark ages) and would play organized youth sports, and there were two kinds of coaches you could have. One kind was the guy that had everyone practice drills and awareness exercises, and helped kids learn from the bottom up, so to speak. And the other kind was the guy that just wanted everyone to have some fun and would just let everyone play for a couple of hours as the practice, and spend minimal time on things like understanding the rules or how to do the basics.

Watching the Jaguars vs the texans yesterday made me think of the Jaguars as being coached by the latter kind of coach and the Texans being coached by the former kind.

(09-13-2021, 11:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 11:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I did not expect the '92 Cowboys, but I expected a team that could do football basics like lining up in formation on the first play of the game and covering a running back on a wheel route. The team we saw yesterday didn't look bad, they looked unprepared.

Exactly. No one expected young players to be like veterans, we expected the team to look like it had the largest coaching staff on the league preparing them to not look like they had not practiced at all with repeated procedure penalties.

It reminded me of when I was a kid (back in the dark ages) and would play organized youth sports, and there were two kinds of coaches you could have. One kind was the guy that had everyone practice drills and awareness exercises, and helped kids learn from the bottom up, so to speak. And the other kind was the guy that just wanted everyone to have some fun and would just let everyone play for a couple of hours as the practice, and spend minimal time on things like understanding the rules or how to do the basics.

Watching the Jaguars vs the texans yesterday made me think of the Jaguars as being coached by the latter kind of coach and the Texans being coached by the former kind.

Their guy:

[Image: MV5BMGI0YWViYjMtMDk5Yy00ODUyLWFhYWYtNzU4...@._V1_.jpg]

Our guy:

[Image: MV5BMzcyNzJkMTMtMGJhMy00NDllLWIzOTAtOTM0...@._V1_.jpg]

No one expected them to look as unorganized as they did, but you need to ask yourself, were they really capable of being as good as you thought they would be?

We can sit here all day and make comparisons with past teams and school coaches from a child's perspective, but it doesn't hide the fact many people came into yesterday's game blinded with Trevormania.

We suck and reality never stopped telling us we would suck. Too many wouldn't listen.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 11:59 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-13-2021, 11:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: No one expected them to look as unorganized as they did, but you need to ask yourself, were they really capable of being as good as you thought they would be?

We can sit here all day and make comparisons with past teams and school coaches from a child's perspective, but it doesn't hide the fact many people came into yesterday's game blinded with Trevormania.

We suck and reality never stopped telling us we would suck. Too many wouldn't listen.

There's a difference between being overmatched and outcoached. Your players not being able to line up correctly isn't because you have bad players, it's because you have bad coaching.

I expect most of the games left this season the coaching will be able to hide behind inferior talent, but not all of them, and this game, against a team that doesn't have superior talent to the Jaguars, should have had Khan considering what his options are moving forward, because that game was a direct indictment on Meyer.

(09-13-2021, 11:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: No one expected them to look as unorganized as they did, but you need to ask yourself, were they really capable of being as good as you thought they would be?

James Robinson.

Urban ignored him for the guy he coached in College... a guy nowhere even close to as good as Robinson.

Why? There is no good reason.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 12:05 PM by SamusAranX. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-13-2021, 11:56 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

James Robinson.

Urban ignored him for the guy he coached in College... a guy nowhere even close to as good as Robinson.

Why? There is no good reason.

It's not a "good" reason, but in my brain, the staff "outsmarted" (and I use that term facetiously) themselves. they probably thought, well, the Texans will expect us to run, since we saw their bad 2020 rush defense film! We shouldn't play into that they are gonna go all out to stop robinson! Let's go pass heavy and get Trevor into a rhythm and they will be flat footed! Then we can run more! 

I mean, in times past, JDR and Marrone and Bradley have come out in post game conferences when asked the same question (why didn't you run MJD / Fournette / etc. more) and they literally have given the same reasoning. That teams would expect that and sell out to stop the run, so lets go the opposite.

Not justifying it, but I could see that gameplan formulating behind the scenes. But sometimes, doing what your bread and butter is will be the smart plan. You force your will, not take what's given.

(09-13-2021, 11:55 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

There's a difference between being overmatched and outcoached. Your players not being able to line up correctly isn't because you have bad players, it's because you have bad coaching.

I expect most of the games left this season the coaching will be able to hide behind inferior talent, but not all of them, and this game, against a team that doesn't have superior talent to the Jaguars, should have had Khan considering what his options are moving forward, because that game was a direct indictment on Meyer.

After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 12:06 PM by SamusAranX.)

(09-13-2021, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 11:55 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: There's a difference between being overmatched and outcoached. Your players not being able to line up correctly isn't because you have bad players, it's because you have bad coaching.

After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

There's no patience anymore. 

Could you imagine this fanbase in 1989? They would have run JJ out of Dallas.

(09-13-2021, 12:06 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

I'm a big believer in body language and facial expressions.

Watch JJ. Watch Urban.

JJ was fired up, angry and looked eager to make it better.

Urban looked defeated, sad and pathetic.

(09-13-2021, 12:07 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:06 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: There's no patience anymore. 

Watch JJ. Watch Urban.

Bill Belichick says you should stick to reading tarot cards.

(09-13-2021, 12:07 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:06 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: There's no patience anymore. 

Watch JJ. Watch Urban.

It's meaningless. Plenty of bad coaches get angry, fired up, yell on the sidelines, bench players for poor performance, and it means nothing. If you have a crap roster, even with a potential franchise QB in their infancy, you're gonna get crap results. 

i am not advocating for 3-4 years for Urban, but I also think it's silly to start panicking after week 1. yes, it looks concerning, but let's watch and see. Then if he gets fired or leaves, I am sure those who said "I told you so" will feel so much better for being right and their fandom will be enriched greatly.

(09-13-2021, 12:06 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:04 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: After one game? Really? That’s stunningly shortsighted.

Armchair GMs gonna armchair.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2021, 12:11 PM by TrivialPursuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-13-2021, 12:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:07 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I'm a big believer in body language and facial expressions.

Watch JJ. Watch Urban.

Bill Belichick says you should stick to reading tarot cards.

Bill sucks without Brady. He got so lucky to get him.

(09-13-2021, 12:11 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 12:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Bill Belichick says you should stick to reading tarot cards.

Bill sucks without Brady.

But he would rock with Trevor, while still being stoic. Give up the body language argument, it’s utterly baseless.