Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Urban or Bevell
Urbz
Bev
[Show Results]

Was it Urban or Bevell?

Who should we blame for the huge imbalance between pass and run?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-13-2021, 02:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: Who should we blame for the huge imbalance between pass and run?

Well based on Bevells previous stops I'd say him. Detroit and Seattle relied on their QB throwing too much.

That being said we had like 3 really good runs early negated by damn penalties which could have changed the direction of play calling.

But I agree. Way too unbalanced early.

I took the liberty of adding a poll.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-13-2021, 02:32 PM)Kane Wrote: Seattle relied on their QB throwing too much.

Pretty sure that's never been said lol.

It is the owner
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Both

If Bevell isn’t getting it done HC must intervene

I don't really even agree with the premise tbh. We should have run it a bit more perhaps, but if we're ~66% passing that's not a big deal if we do the rest of the stuff right. The penalties, drops, defense getting torched, etc were much bigger problems than the run/pass split. The whole run game is a QBs best friend is antiquated.

And if we force the run and that doesn't work, then what? Wrs dropped the ball. Refs didn't help. Some penalties were legit and hurt. The defense needs to knock a bomb pass down. Little out routes need to get defended. Need some effective blitzing right up the middle. Need to get momentum and stop letting the other team have all the momentum

(09-13-2021, 03:43 PM)Jag88 Wrote: And if we force the run and that doesn't work, then what? Wrs dropped the ball. Refs didn't help. Some penalties were legit and hurt. The defense needs to knock a bomb pass down. Little out routes need to get defended. Need some effective blitzing right up the middle. Need to get momentum and stop letting the other team have all the momentum

We ran, it worked. They quit doing it for whatever reason.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'd blame Bevell. Or maybe Meyer if this was the actual game plan.

But if you look at the play by play, there are so many 1st and 10s, followed by 1st and 20 or 1st and 15. And we always threw on first and long after a penalty. 1st and 10 we might have a running play, and get a penalty, then we have 1st and long, and we throw the ball. Should we run on 1st and 20? I'd say yes.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401326310

(09-13-2021, 03:39 PM)Upper Wrote: I don't really even agree with the premise tbh. We should have run it a bit more perhaps, but if we're ~66% passing that's not a big deal if we do the rest of the stuff right. The penalties, drops, defense getting torched, etc were much bigger problems than the run/pass split. The whole run game is a QBs best friend is antiquated.

You don’t have incompletions on handoffs to backs who are averaging 5 yds a carry. 

That’s still a significant aid to a QB

(09-13-2021, 03:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 03:39 PM)Upper Wrote: I don't really even agree with the premise tbh. We should have run it a bit more perhaps, but if we're ~66% passing that's not a big deal if we do the rest of the stuff right. The penalties, drops, defense getting torched, etc were much bigger problems than the run/pass split. The whole run game is a QBs best friend is antiquated.

You don’t have incompletions on handoffs to backs who are averaging 5 yds a carry. 

True, but really, if you think about it, if we hadn't had 6 dropped passes, loads of penalties, and a defense that couldn't stop anything, we probably wouldn't be talking about the run-pass balance.

(09-13-2021, 03:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

And we don't end up with several early drive killing 3rd and 17s if we don't commit penalties on the runs either.

You cant run the ball when they call holding everytime haha.

(09-13-2021, 03:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 03:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You don’t have incompletions on handoffs to backs who are averaging 5 yds a carry. 

True, but really, if you think about it, if we hadn't had 6 dropped passes, loads of penalties, and a defense that couldn't stop anything, we probably wouldn't be talking about the run-pass balance.

I would 

I’ve been talking about (concerned about) this staff not seeing the value they have in Robinson since they drafted a back early. 

Getting single digit touches to #25 is an egregious error. Baffling mismanagement of talent available.

(09-13-2021, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 03:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: True, but really, if you think about it, if we hadn't had 6 dropped passes, loads of penalties, and a defense that couldn't stop anything, we probably wouldn't be talking about the run-pass balance.

I would 

I’ve been talking about (concerned about) this staff not seeing the value they have in Robinson since they drafted a back early. 

Getting single digit touches to #25 is an egregious error. Baffling mismanagement of talent available.

Giving Hyde 9 carries and Jrob 5 is very dumb. If Robinson had 12 of those carries and then didn't drop those passes we'd be looking at a 16 or 17 touch game and that would be perfectly fine.

(09-13-2021, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 03:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: True, but really, if you think about it, if we hadn't had 6 dropped passes, loads of penalties, and a defense that couldn't stop anything, we probably wouldn't be talking about the run-pass balance.

I would 

I'm not privy to what feedback a HC is subjected to, but I wonder if Meyer will be getting an earful concerning his neglect of one of our offense's brightest stars? Were I Shad Khan, I would have been up his [BLEEP] about it as soon as the final whistle blew. Unfortunately that's not Khan's style. At least I don't get that impression.

(09-13-2021, 04:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I would 

Giving Hyde 9 carries and Jrob 5 is very dumb. If Robinson had 12 of those carries and then didn't drop those passes we'd be looking at a 16 or 17 touch game and that would be perfectly fine.
Just as dumb as having an o-line that protects worse than a wet paper bag yet run blocks pretty well — 
But you have fewer than 20 runs and + 50 passes. 

This staff seemingly has no clue of its own roster’s strengths and weaknesses. 

This isn’t an argument about “balanced play calling” or “antiquated run focus” — it’s about not utilizing the talent available to you and failing to mitigate  the weaknesses glaringly apparent among your roster.

(09-13-2021, 04:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I would 

I'm not privy to what feedback a HC is subjected to, but I wonder if Meyer will be getting an earful concerning his neglect of one of our offense's brightest stars? Were I Shad Khan, I would have been up his [BLEEP] about it as soon as the final whistle blew. Unfortunately that's not Khan's style. At least I don't get that impression.

I don't want the owner involved in football matters really, but in this case I would agree.

Until the HC is relieved of duty, it's always going to be on him. The coordinators are responsible for gameplan, but the HC must be the one driving that plan. If Bevell comes in with a plan that the HC doesn't agree with, the HC is responsible for telling his OC to rework the plan to suit the team's strengths or exploit a team's weakness.

That's why he makes the big bucks.