Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rating your confidence level on Meyer

(09-19-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 08:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Meyer isn't calling the play, is he?

I don't know, but a HC surely influences the play scripts. 

Let me add another issue confronting this team. Our top scorer, the top scorer of any team, has fallen off a cliff. Lambo is in crisis which subtracts potentially 5-10 points per game from our score.

And so we don't know if Meyer is the one forcing the pass, but he's certainly able to change the plan if he wants to, so maybe Bevell and TLaw are doing it the Meyer Way. Which doesn't bode well for us if true.

As fro Lambo, the issues have been present since he returned from injury. Maybe his time is just over, but we can't keep running him out there if he's no good from 48. Hopefully it was just an issue with the weather, but he looks like a guy who's lost it. I think Cooke was doing the kickoff duties last year, maybe he should be doing that again for the time being to take some of Lambo's workload off.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Was a 5 prior to this game, now a 4/10.

Will be a 3 after next week most likely

(09-19-2021, 09:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't know, but a HC surely influences the play scripts. 

Let me add another issue confronting this team. Our top scorer, the top scorer of any team, has fallen off a cliff. Lambo is in crisis which subtracts potentially 5-10 points per game from our score.

And so we don't know if Meyer is the one forcing the pass, but he's certainly able to change the plan if he wants to, so maybe Bevell and TLaw are doing it the Meyer Way. Which doesn't bode well for us if true.

As fro Lambo, the issues have been present since he returned from injury. Maybe his time is just over, but we can't keep running him out there if he's no good from 48. Hopefully it was just an issue with the weather, but he looks like a guy who's lost it. I think Cooke was doing the kickoff duties last year, maybe he should be doing that again for the time being to take some of Lambo's workload off.

What a fall from grace for Lambo. It's tough to watch. I truly feel sorry for the guy.

(09-19-2021, 09:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 09:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't know, but a HC surely influences the play scripts. 

Meyer doesn't call the plays, but how much influence he has on the game plan/calls is undetermined. Bevell calls the plays up from the box, he isn't down on the field. Schottenheimer is the one who's down on the field interacting with the QBs on the sidelines, going over past plays on the little touch pad etc.

Lambo missed 1 FG and 1 XP in the Browns preseason game. He also missed another FG in the Saints preseason game. He then missed another FG against the Texans and 2 more today. He just hasn't been the same since that Hip injury. He used to be automatic and now he isn't just missing kicks, he's shanking some of them badly. Maybe he's just inside his head, maybe it's the hip, but he's certainly not the same Lambo we were used to.

2 outta 10 and sinking. I think he bails after Year Two and Lawrence goes out the door with him. We will be ready for another rebuild with a new coach and a top draft pick QB by then. Groundhog Day is my guess.

(09-19-2021, 10:23 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: 2 outta 10 and sinking. I think he bails after Year Two and Lawrence goes out the door with him. We will be ready for another rebuild with a new coach and a top draft pick QB by then. Groundhog Day is my guess.

Yeah I don't think so...  groundhog day is appropriate but I don't see then bailing on Lawrence. Look at all the time they gave the boat.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-19-2021, 10:58 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 10:23 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: 2 outta 10 and sinking. I think he bails after Year Two and Lawrence goes out the door with him. We will be ready for another rebuild with a new coach and a top draft pick QB by then. Groundhog Day is my guess.

Yeah I don't think so...  groundhog day is appropriate but I don't see then bailing on Lawrence. Look at all the time they gave the boat.

That dude is just a Minshew nut hugger. He's the literal definition of a smooth brain.

I think Meyer is still a ways off from directly affecting a lot (assuming he is still learning and deferring more to assistant coaches than most).  The team did show improvement today in less mistakes, hopefully the improvement continues.

I go from a 6 down to a 3. Denver just dominated this game outside of the first drive. This coaching staff seems to not have a clue. They still passed it double of what they ran. Robinson under 10 carries again. This whole mess is a dumpster fire.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I've lost what little optimism I had for Meyer and co, even just 2 games into the season, but it's all about making the necessary adjustments and being adaptable for the week ahead.

The problem for them is that it's the Cardinals we have to face.

(09-19-2021, 11:30 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I go from a 6 down to a 3.  Denver just dominated this game outside of the first drive. This coaching staff seems to not have a clue.  They still passed it double of what they ran.  Robinson under 10 carries again. This whole mess  is a dumpster fire.

Robinson actually had 11 carries, but still, it's not enough. Feed him the rock.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 02:48 AM by JagFan81. Edited 1 time in total.)

We have seen plenty of career college coaches not able to make that jump to the NFL and Meyer is certainly walking that same path right now. Hes had success at the college level so hes shown he can win but this is going to be a multiple year project and we need to hit on every FA and draft pick. Thats a really big ask.

The one question i keep having is why did he take this job? (Other than the $12m a year). He had been in a studio for 3 years, had a good reputation at the college level and decided to coach us. Had he watched this team last year? Did he think he could just walk in and coach us to 10 wins? Is it coaching Lawrence? Had he been spending that 3 years learning how they do it in the NFL or did he think his college blueprint would just transfer over? Are we the only NFL team that's offered him a job?

Its a catch 22. We need him to be the guy that turns us around or this is another wasted season or 2 but its been a rough start and hard to see what we have been working on the last 3 months.

I said before the season i wasn't his biggest fan but id give him 5 games to show he is working on those mistakes. 2 down and Arizona followed by a TNF game. Doesn't get any easier.

(09-17-2021, 03:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Urban Meyer has gotten off to an extremely shaky start in his first year as an NFL head coach. There is no need to repeat all the mistakes he has made as those on this board are well aware of this. The bigger question is this: Despite Meyer's poor start, what is your confidence level (on a scale of 0-10) that he will learn from his mistakes and lead the Jaguars to several AFC South titles and at least one Super Bowl win. Regardless of whether this winning begins next season or no later than 2022-23, what is your current confidence level?

My personal rating would be a 3. I don't believe that he has the temperament or patience to handle losing. He overestimated his ability to adjust to the NFL - partly because he'd have a generational quarterback and even more-so due to his overinflated ego. Despite never liking him, I hoped he would at least turn around the team's bad fortunes for over a decade. I gave this a rating of 3 because it's still early and it is possible Meyer will prove his skeptics to be wrong.

What is your confidence level rating for Urban?

I think this may be the first stop in his career where he has to face an uphill battle for approval. His "don't give up" address in the post-game comments is a sign that he's attentive to public outcry, at a minimum. If the public sentiment is stressing him or wearing him down, I don't think he is hungry or desperate enough to see the rebuild all the way through.

I think he's resilient, though, he's faced bad press, media scrutiny, and high stakes coaching in his past. His biggest challenge will be delegation. He can't do everything and survive. It will grind him down, and he's going to have to lean on his supporting staff where he probably didn't need to as much at any of his college or media jobs.

He's made bad choices, but has some degree of success that affords a benefit of the doubt. I'm probably around a 3 or 4 as well.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 09:54 AM by Mikey.)

(09-17-2021, 04:04 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I give him a F for the draft and free agency
I give him a F for the TE circus

Sadly at the end of today and we'll everything with this owner it just don't matter what fans think.

I'll disagree to a point. I think one of the biggest reasons Shad hired him was to get fan interest rejuvenated, especially in the form of ticket sales.

And that's where "what the fans think" will always matter. If the team is losing but still selling plenty of tickets, the owner will tend to be patient with a coach. Empty stadia lead to impatience, and impatience leads to hasty firings or irresponsible hirings.

(09-17-2021, 07:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 03:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s almost impossible to gauge that after only one game. I think we’ll have a much better handle on future team prospects 4:00 Sunday afternoon.
But it’s totally reasonable to gauge him after 2 games?

Not sure I’m buying that.

I bet you wear velcro shoes Big Grin

(09-17-2021, 08:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I did not like the hire, and the first game looked like I thought it would look.
But I'm going to give him a few more games to show if he's learning from these mistakes. I could still be wrong about the guy.

This thread needs a poll.
Numbers 0 to 10 can all be choices, then of course corn.

this is blank #2 erasure and I will not stand for it.

Im giving Meyer a pass on this season. Because of his pedigree of coaching I expected him to turn chicken you know what into chicken salad but after 2 games its just clear to me that we have a bunch of guys on this roster. Particular shenault, chark, robinson, and whoever is at TE. Im hoping with another offseason he'll bring more of his guys in and take a more hands on approach with the team. Up until this point he's leaned on his veteran coaches on some important decisions but i expect that to change next season

Mikey I get what you are saying on fan service and ticket and or merchandise purchase. Do we really believe Urbz was the reason for more season tickets?

It was because we were getting Lawrence. This franchise is a failure because they didn't consider what to do to make Lawrence more successful. Oline is fine. Screwing around with fake QB competition and ignoring TE outside a cash grab exercise.

I am in broken record territory. Just banging the same pots and pans but jeez dang they are screwing this up.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-20-2021, 10:11 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Im giving Meyer a pass on this season. Because of his pedigree of coaching I expected him to turn chicken you know what into chicken salad but after 2 games its just clear to me that we have a bunch of guys on this roster. Particular shenault, chark, robinson, and whoever is at TE. Im hoping with another offseason he'll bring more of his guys in and take a more hands on approach with the team. Up until this point he's leaned on his veteran coaches on some important decisions but i expect that to change next season

Or he just doesn't know how to best utilize the talent that's staring him in the face.

(09-20-2021, 12:27 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 11:30 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I go from a 6 down to a 3.  Denver just dominated this game outside of the first drive. This coaching staff seems to not have a clue.  They still passed it double of what they ran.  Robinson under 10 carries again. This whole mess  is a dumpster fire.

Robinson actually had 11 carries, but still, it's not enough. Feed him the rock.

This ^

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 10:17 AM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-20-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think this may be the first stop in his career where he has to face an uphill battle for approval.

I don't think this is true at all. He had his detractors, myself leading the charge ofc, but the large majority was extremely excited about the hire. The fact that it started turning against him quickly as he made bad decision after bad decision was his own fault.

(09-20-2021, 10:11 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Im hoping with another offseason he'll bring more of his guys in

Hell yeah more Carlos Hyde's and Tim Tebow's and Luke Farrell's and Devin Smith's!

(09-20-2021, 10:11 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: Im giving Meyer a pass on this season. Because of his pedigree of coaching I expected him to turn chicken you know what into chicken salad but after 2 games its just clear to me that we have a bunch of guys on this roster. Particular shenault, chark, robinson, and whoever is at TE. Im hoping with another offseason he'll bring more of his guys in and take a more hands on approach with the team. Up until this point he's leaned on his veteran coaches on some important decisions but i expect that to change next season

You realize he's a recruiter and not an X's and O's guy, right? He's always relied on Coordinators to guide the game.

I think I agree with this. He's an NFL rookie and it will take time to adjust. I wasn't thrilled with his choice as coach in the first place - I thought he was a sleezeball who bailed on teams in college - but, like it or not, we got him. And I think he deserves the same patience we give to a rookie player to get into NFL mode. 

Baalke, on the other hand - I have no confidence in him, never did.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]