Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stats/PFF grades/ETC (merged)

No WR demands double teaming when healthy and they are riddled with injuries. The TE (I challenge someone to name who it is this week without looking it up) is a non-entity. The QB, despite exceptional arm talent, does not demand complex coverages as his reads are basic due to inexperience. The box can be stacked even harder against Robinson.

This offense will not break out until the passing game improves from WORST IN THE NFL. Robinson was helped last year because the passing game, as lame as it was, could at least catch defenses out from time to time and make them a little honest against the run. Run a play action this year and it's a non-event. An LB can be latched onto Robinson like a glove and it doesn't matter if it's a fake because the WR's can be handled with one man and TL is still learning how to make a good throwing decision. And even then the WRs drop it half the time. Oh, and TE? Yeah, what's his name again? Opposing DCs are asking the same question.

My reasoning is straight forward and solid. The passing game is so [BLEEP] unthreatening at the moment that the running game is hamstrung. Running when the passing game poses almost zero threat is worse than passing for this team. At least when TL is throwing the ball he's learning. And has film to review. And maybe can get better by the end of the year.

Winning games is not the team's immediate goal. The immediate goal is to simply execute a little. And then maybe they will be in a position to win some games. The Jags are blessed with a team full of average-at-best talent in the talent positions and one potential talent of the century. A talent of the century who is utterly green, in the most important position on the field and has not one single established elite talent to rely on as he learns the top game. The Jags aren't staring into the Abyss. They are in it. And the only way out is if TL learns to be the superstar we hope he is. 'Cause there's not one other soul on this team with a hope of doing the same.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-22-2021, 06:43 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: No WR demands double teaming when healthy and they are riddled with injuries.  The TE (I challenge someone to name who it is this week without looking it up) is a non-entity.  The QB, despite exceptional arm talent, does not demand complex coverages as his reads are basic due to inexperience.  The box can be stacked even harder against Robinson.

This offense will not break out until the passing game improves from WORST IN THE NFL.  Robinson was helped last year because the passing game, as lame as it was, could at least catch defenses out from time to time and make them a little honest against the run.  Run a play action this year and it's a non-event.  An LB can be latched onto Robinson like a glove and it doesn't matter if it's a fake because the WR's can be handled with one man and TL is still learning how to make a good throwing decision.  And even then the WRs drop it half the time.  Oh, and TE?  Yeah, what's his name again?  Opposing DCs are asking the same question.

My reasoning is straight forward and solid.  The passing game is so [BLEEP] unthreatening at the moment that the running game is hamstrung.  Running when the passing game poses almost zero threat is worse than passing for this team.  At least when TL is throwing the ball he's learning.  And has film to review.  And maybe can get better by the end of the year.

Winning games is not the team's immediate goal.  The immediate goal is to simply execute a little.  And then maybe they will be in a position to win some games.  The Jags are blessed with a team full of average-at-best talent in the talent positions and one potential talent of the century.  A talent of the century who is utterly green, in the most important position on the field and has not one single established elite talent to rely on as he learns the top game.  The Jags aren't staring into the Abyss.  They are in it.  And the only way out is if TL learns to be the superstar we hope he is.  'Cause there's not one other soul on this team with a hope of doing the same.

You are flat out wrong.  Robinson has been averaging 4.5+ ypc.  The running game has been working it is just that they are not running enough period!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-22-2021, 06:24 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: Self portrait?  It must be as you seem to have severe reading comprehension issues.

Direct quote: "That's not a reflection on Robinson (who had a marvellous year) but how ineffective the team was with that mindset."

Robinson is not enough to win games.  We had him in a stellar year and WON ONE GAME because the passing side of the offense was bog average.  And this year the passing game is worse!  Running Robinson, as good as he is, WILL NOT WIN GAMES.  Nor will it put TL on the rapid growth path he needs.  You want Robinson to run more then hope TL's game improves and quickly as a running game with no passing is a one way ticket to misery.  TL has to go in the deep end and learn to swim.  And the team is going to swallow a lot of water until he does or he drowns (in which case we start all over again).

This year is gonna suck.  It cannot be avoided.  And the Jags will continue to put up one win seasons when running is the only arrow in their quiver, no matter how good that runner is.

FACT: In the NFL you can win with a great arm and a middling run.  You cannot win with a great run and a horrid arm.  And average arm will get you to the post-season and then you'll collapse.  Ask Adrian Peterson about all those great running Vikings seasons straight into post-season destruction.

Care to share where anyone has said this very statement?

Here's a statement from someone you may be familiar with:

Quote:There is only one area for improvement in the passing game: TL's performance.

That's outright denial that trying to develop a run game would contribute in any way to TL's growth. You've picked an odd hill to die on. Best of luck with that.

(09-22-2021, 06:43 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: No WR demands double teaming when healthy and they are riddled with injuries.  The TE (I challenge someone to name who it is this week without looking it up) is a non-entity.  The QB, despite exceptional arm talent, does not demand complex coverages as his reads are basic due to inexperience.  The box can be stacked even harder against Robinson.

This offense will not break out until the passing game improves from WORST IN THE NFL.  Robinson was helped last year because the passing game, as lame as it was, could at least catch defenses out from time to time and make them a little honest against the run.  Run a play action this year and it's a non-event.  An LB can be latched onto Robinson like a glove and it doesn't matter if it's a fake because the WR's can be handled with one man and TL is still learning how to make a good throwing decision.  And even then the WRs drop it half the time.  Oh, and TE?  Yeah, what's his name again?  Opposing DCs are asking the same question.

My reasoning is straight forward and solid.  The passing game is so [BLEEP] unthreatening at the moment that the running game is hamstrung.  Running when the passing game poses almost zero threat is worse than passing for this team.  At least when TL is throwing the ball he's learning.  And has film to review.  And maybe can get better by the end of the year.

Winning games is not the team's immediate goal.  The immediate goal is to simply execute a little.  And then maybe they will be in a position to win some games.  The Jags are blessed with a team full of average-at-best talent in the talent positions and one potential talent of the century.  A talent of the century who is utterly green, in the most important position on the field and has not one single established elite talent to rely on as he learns the top game.  The Jags aren't staring into the Abyss.  They are in it.  And the only way out is if TL learns to be the superstar we hope he is.  'Cause there's not one other soul on this team with a hope of doing the same.

Inane takes abound. 

The run last year was the only functional aspect of that offense and it actually kept them in a number of games. It could do that and more this season. 

Hucking it 50 times per game and just waiting on the rookie QB to magically improve has got to be the weakest strategy I've ever seen proffered here. 

BTW - as mentioned in other threads - the TE room is Hollister/Manhertz/Farrell and most of us don't need to look it up. 
You, on the other hand, have much to research.

BOLD: The hell did I just read?

Were you watching a different team than the rest of us last year? What passing game was catching Ds off guard? If anything, I'd say that James Robinson is the biggest argument against everything you later claim. For if the current pass game is unthreatening, he's already demonstrated that he is perfectly capable of churning out yards against Ds that aren't concerned with our passing scheme.

The reason play action doesn't work this year is because we haven't developed the run game. You understand what play action is, right? If you haven't attempted to run the ball, faking a rush attempt is not going to draw the D off guard. Until you beat them with the run, they're going to continue to stay back and hold the passing game at bay.

(09-23-2021, 08:26 AM)Mikey Wrote:

BOLD: The hell did I just read?

Were you watching a different team than the rest of us last year? What passing game was catching Ds off guard? If anything, I'd say that James Robinson is the biggest argument against everything you later claim. For if the current pass game is unthreatening, he's already demonstrated that he is perfectly capable of churning out yards against Ds that aren't concerned with our passing scheme.

The reason play action doesn't work this year is because we haven't developed the run game. You understand what play action is, right? If you haven't attempted to run the ball, faking a rush attempt is not going to draw the D off guard. Until you beat them with the run, they're going to continue to stay back and hold the passing game at bay.

His user ID indicates that his perception of the world is completely upside down. It's the only real explanation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Oz this theory may work on madden with the difficulty set to pro, but its not working on all-madden or in the nfl. Good try though.
In Dougie I Trust!

(09-23-2021, 09:46 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: https://twitter.com/BrentASJax/status/14...de%3Dfalse

But....

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2021, 10:28 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 5 times in total.)

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_sam/statu...94945?s=21

(09-23-2021, 10:20 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/14403...94945?s=20

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/14...76576?s=20

Yeah I have to say, he's been very inaccurate with his passes. Not what I was expecting.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2021, 10:34 PM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

What, what? You mean the passing game is completely ineffective and TL must improve to make it work? Say it isn't so. Don't tell me that we have exactly the same run game but a worse passing game than last year. If that were the case then a sane person would conclude that it's the green as green QB (despite all his talent) which must be fast-tracked to NFL quality decision-making. But, no, as we're on the internet the conclusion must be that the passing game sucks because the run game isn't being used enough.

This team is like a boat with a big hole in the hull. The hole is the passing game. And as the boat sinks the people on these boards moaning about the running game are like the passengers saying that we're not reaching shore because the propeller is spinning too slowly. It doesn't matter how much you turn that prop, the boat isn't going anywhere until that hole is fixed.

(09-23-2021, 10:24 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 10:20 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/14403...94945?s=20

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/14...76576?s=20

Yeah I have to say, he's been very inaccurate with his passes. Not what I was expecting.

Because he's making the wrong throws.  They are too low-chance choices and demand more from the WR group than the WRs can give.  He's made it this far because of extreme physical talent.  He now needs to learn nuance.   Brady doesn't still have it at 44 because he's got a cannon arm.

What T-Law really could use, is a nice comfy lead.. have some time to play with said lead and not be so inclined to yeet the ball 40 yards downfield every other play. A running game and good defensive performance is what the doctor is ordering..

(09-23-2021, 10:26 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: What, what?  You mean the passing game is completely ineffective and TL must improve to make it work?  Say it isn't so.  Don't tell me that we have exactly the same run game but a worse passing game than last year.  If that were the case then a sane person would conclude that it's the green as green QB (despite all his talent) which must be fast-tracked to NFL quality decision-making.  But, no, as we're on the internet the conclusion must be that the passing game sucks because the run game isn't being used enough.

This team is like a boat with a big hole in the hull.  The hole is the passing game.  And as the boat sinks the people on these boards moaning about the running game are like the passengers saying that we're not reaching shore because the propeller is spinning too slowly.  It doesn't matter how much you turn that prop, the boat isn't going anywhere until that hole is fixed.

(09-23-2021, 10:24 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Yeah I have to say, he's been very inaccurate with his passes. Not what I was expecting.

Because he's making the wrong throws.  They are too low-chance choices and demand more from the WR group than the WRs can give.  He's made it this far because of extreme physical talent.  He now needs to learn nuance.   Brady doesn't still have it at 44 because he's got a cannon arm.

No one is saying Trevor or the WRs don't need to do better. What is being said is the run game is working and has worked to move the ball, but we aren't using it enough. When you have an effective run game, it helps the pass game also. TL is a rookie, all the help he can get from the offense and the defense will benefit him in getting better and keeping his confidence. 

The rushing game is the only thing we have right now that is above average. We are top 10 in rushing yards per attempt. It's working, but we aren't doing it near often enough. 
Receivers are struggling with some space at times and with drops.
Oline is actually doing better than I expected, but we are at best middle of the pack.
TE position is non existent. 
We have a rookie QB learning, making mistakes.

You can't expect a rookie QB to fix all of these issues in his second game. 
By capitalizing on what is working and building off it is what will help the rookie QB progress. That is by taking advantage of what is working and that right now is the run game.
In Dougie I Trust!

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021, 08:40 AM by Mikey.)

(09-23-2021, 10:26 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: What, what?  You mean the passing game is completely ineffective and TL must improve to make it work?  Say it isn't so.  Don't tell me that we have exactly the same run game but a worse passing game than last year.  If that were the case then a sane person would conclude that it's the green as green QB (despite all his talent) which must be fast-tracked to NFL quality decision-making.  But, no, as we're on the internet the conclusion must be that the passing game sucks because the run game isn't being used enough.

This team is like a boat with a big hole in the hull.  The hole is the passing game.  And as the boat sinks the people on these boards moaning about the running game are like the passengers saying that we're not reaching shore because the propeller is spinning too slowly.  It doesn't matter how much you turn that prop, the boat isn't going anywhere until that hole is fixed.

(09-23-2021, 10:24 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Yeah I have to say, he's been very inaccurate with his passes. Not what I was expecting.

You still don't get it. The passing game doesn't suck because the run isn't used enough. The passing game sucks because we have a rookie QB starting. We all know that it's going to take time to develop those skills.

The criticism the rest of the board is making is that we are not fostering that development by using all of the tools at our disposal. The lack of run game is not a cause, it's a remedy.

Imagine you are framing a new house - you buy lumber, nails, saws, hammers, enough to get things moving. But, without your level, it's going to take a whole lot more effort to build things square and have a frame worth building upon. Why wouldn't you want to use your level if you know you have one?

(09-24-2021, 05:03 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: What T-Law really could use, is a nice comfy lead.. have some time to play with said lead and not be so inclined to yeet the ball 40 yards downfield every other play. A running game and good defensive performance is what the doctor is ordering..

to go along with this, sustained drives to give the D a rest will go very far in this department. 3 and outs will lead to defensive failings. move the chains, boys!

The offensive coordinator needs to plan better games. I'm about to question his scheme, but that's knee jerk. I'll digress and say the team needs continuity and cohesion.

Even watching the Texans...their receivers are getting open. I think our receivers are getting down on Bevel because they don't like the scheme. You can see it in their body language. *Side note, the Texans are better than everyone thought they would be so the lose isn't as bad*

Understand that it takes time for a team to have chemistry. Though we think they learn the playboys and plays in preseason, they don't. Not to the level of efficiency needed. We have a new HC, OC, DC, and QB. Identify think any other team except the Jets have this situation. And look at their record.

Casual fans will be yelling for someone to be fired, but that's not the answer. What we're losing too is CONTINUITY and CHEMISTRY. These other teams have a core and an identity. When they bring in FA they just plug them in to the system. A system trumps individuality every time.

Urban needs 3 years of continuity. As does Trevor.

The Jags are currently tied for 6th and could move in to 1st (80 year old record) all time by the end of the season. AT least we are good and consistent at something!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Na...ng_streaks

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021, 10:49 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 2 times in total.)

I just got to wonder what were they thinking when they hired Bevell. Sure he had success with WIlson but Wilson could of been good with Forest Gump as his coach. Some guys just have it. The Guy has been fired numerous times. He went 1-4 as a head coach. Meyer is a winner but why hire guys with history of failing! I will say his play calling has been down right awful to this point. James Robinson is pretty much shackled because he never gets the chance to shine. They have a Rookie QB playing with a mediocre team slinging it too much. A Rookie QB should never ever be near the top 5 in pass attempts and last I saw Lawrence was 6th in attempts.

Jags are 26th in Rushing attempts but 10th in ypc. It's just insane we are asking Lawrence to throw it 30+ times a game. Give it to Robinson, Give it to Hyde, short Passes with Shenault, Occasional deep shot down field off of play action to force the defense to respect the deep ball. It seems like a simple Recipe for success that almost every football Guru would agree with but not in Jaguar land.

So r the stats that r shown are those results in peoples opinion a result of the coaching tactics, team performance or just a bad player performance?

(09-24-2021, 11:59 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: So r the stats that r shown are those results in peoples opinion a result of the coaching tactics, team performance or just a bad player performance?

Sad thing is the real answer is probably all 3.  Add in poor talent evaluation as well.