Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Broncos Game

After a disastrous week one at Houston, our beloved Jaguars returned to Jacksonville and TIAA Bank field for their home opener against a very solid Broncos team that featured excellent skill players on offenselike RBs Melvin Gordon and rookie 2nd round pick Jevonte Williams, WRs Cortland Sutton and 2nd year speedy slot WR  KJ Hamler and TEs Noah Fant and Albert O.  On Defense, they offer formidable  pass rushers Bradley Chubb (returning from injury) and possible Hall of Famer Von Miller. 

My thoughts:

1.      Coming into the season, most of us identified offensive line as the area of biggest concern for the Jaguars since it was so bad last year, returned intact this year, and is now tasked with protecting prized rookie QB Trevor Lawrence.  Last week, even though they only gave up one sack, it was far from a good game by the unit because they gave up some pressures, had four holding penalties and several other illegal formation penalties.  Needless to say, I was not confident about this team’s chances coming into this game against Denver.  That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the pass protection today.  I saw Taylor get beat when Von Miller got his hand in his chest and got him off balance by giving him a long inside arm, but he didn’t give up the sack.  Von Miller did get the sack in the second half, but the play started off with a TE blocking him, and then the TE released.  I’m not sure who was to block him after that.  I would have thought it was Taylor, but he was engaged with someone else by the time the TE released him.  Still, not nearly the disaster I thought it would be.

2.      I think a good part of that success was due to not putting Trevor Lawrence constantly behind the chains with stupid penalties.  The only time the Jaguars were in bad down and distance situations –at least in the first half- were on two dump offs into the flat that were well defensed by Denver. 

3.      While the defense has played much better this week than last week, there are still some very frustrating moments.  Having them 2md and 16 deep in their own territory only to not just have them convert that, but then drive down for the score made my teeth itch.  We have to find a way to tighten our coverage.

4.      Laviska Shenault is an exciting player for us, but he has to start catching these passes.  I counted 2p3 drops by him, which brought some drives to a screeching halt.

5.      The team did a better job being a little more balanced, but the team still needs work in that area. That second series repeated the mistakes of last week.  I get you want your best player (TL) to make the plays, but give him more help.

6.      Now is officially the time to worry about Lambo.  He missed I think a 55 yard FG last week, and a 53 yarder this week on a high snap.  While you want him to make those, misses on those kicks were understandable.  But late in the first half, he missed a 48 yard FG.  More worrisome was his body language after both kicks.  He put his head down after both kicks.  Andrew Wingard came up to him and literally picked Lambo’s head up.  We can’t have Lambo go into a slump now.  Lambo aside, special teams was actually a plus.  Logan Cooke had a great game.  I was just thinking that so far Agnew has been a disappointment right before he had the kickoff return.  That was good to see.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.     Trevor Lawrence-Started out great on that first drive, then after that was off.  Suffered from some drops from Shenault mostly, and had a drop from Farrell, which would have been called back due to penalty.  Seems streaky.  I think part of it is his aggressiveness, where he is always looking to attack downfield, but that may come at a cost.  When he rolled to his right and threw long, he bypassed an open Chark shorter, which would have gotten him a first down.  His two INTs hurt, but at least weren’t the results of disastrous reads.  The first INT, he was late in getting the ball out.  I think a more experienced TL would have trusted his eyes and pulled the trigger a little sooner.  The second, he threw deep downfield and gave the receiver a chance to make a play.  While that was costly, I can’t fault the throw too much, at least not without seeing the coaches film to see if anyone else was open.

B.     Travis Etienne-DNP-IR

C.     Tyson Campbell-I didn’t see him get much playing time until it was announced that CJ Henderson went out with the hip injury.  However, as down as I have been on him, today I saw signs of progress.  He made a good play on the ball on that pass in the end zone.

D.     Walker Little-I don’t think he played.

E.      Andre Cisco-I think I saw him briefly.  Still no idea why he isn’t playing more.

F.      Jay Tufele-Don’t think he played.

G.    Jordan Smith-DNP

H.     Luke Farrell-Saw him more today than I did in any game so far, including the preseason.  However he didn’t make any real impact.  There was the play where he dropped the short pass, but it would have been negated by penalty anyway.  Then he got open nicely on the INT, but Trevor waited too long.

8.        The passing offense is not consistent.  But I think a huge problem is the lack of a quality receiving TE to give Trevor Lawrence a safety blanket over the middle.  When there is a play that needs to  be made, TL almost always looks to his WRs deep,  A good receiving target over the middle would work wonders for this offense, and will eliminate many of those long stretches we can't move the ball.

9.        I have to give credit to the coaching staff this week.  Even though we didn’t win, this was a much cleaner game than we played last week.  Offensively at times it seems like the coaching staff doesn’t really know what it has, and at times they seem to get away from the run.  Still, this represents some improvement.

10.     Good to see Josh Allen make another sack.  It looks like he could be on his way to a good year. RRH had some good pressures, and Gotsis had a good sack.  Chaisson even caused disruption on a running play.

11.          Bottom line-Going in I thought this would be a tough matchup, and I was right.  But it didn’t develop like I thought.  The pass protection was not an issue.  Problems with the defense and a lack of continuity on offense were the issues, and I think a lot of that is personnel related. Again, not the desired result, but there were signs of progress.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This team is doodoo

The oline was surprisingly a bright spot. They fell off mid way through the game along with the rest of the team, but they definitely held their own for a while. Keep it up please.

We need the other players on offense to help lift Lawrence up instead of forcing him into these hero ball situations. 

Shenault? Chark is playing for a contract, and as of now, I'd pass.

TLDR,

Jags suck just about covers it all.
My sig goes here!

I was right with what i said in my video last week. the team is trash,and  the laughing stock of nfl.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(09-19-2021, 05:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: After a disastrous week one at Houston, our beloved Jaguars returned to Jacksonville and TIAA Bank field for their home opener against a very solid Broncos team that featured excellent skill players on offenselike RBs Melvin Gordon and rookie 2nd round pick Jevonte Williams, WRs Cortland Sutton and 2nd year speedy slot WR  KJ Hamler and TEs Noah Fant and Albert O.  On Defense, they offer formidable  pass rushers Bradley Chubb (returning from injury) and possible Hall of Famer Von Miller. 

My thoughts:

1.      Coming into the season, most of us identified offensive line as the area of biggest concern for the Jaguars since it was so bad last year, returned intact this year, and is now tasked with protecting prized rookie QB Trevor Lawrence.  Last week, even though they only gave up one sack, it was far from a good game by the unit because they gave up some pressures, had four holding penalties and several other illegal formation penalties.  Needless to say, I was not confident about this team’s chances coming into this game against Denver.  That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the pass protection today.  I saw Taylor get beat when Von Miller got his hand in his chest and got him off balance by giving him a long inside arm, but he didn’t give up the sack.  Von Miller did get the sack in the second half, but the play started off with a TE blocking him, and then the TE released.  I’m not sure who was to block him after that.  I would have thought it was Taylor, but he was engaged with someone else by the time the TE released him.  Still, not nearly the disaster I thought it would be.

2.      I think a good part of that success was due to not putting Trevor Lawrence constantly behind the chains with stupid penalties.  The only time the Jaguars were in bad down and distance situations –at least in the first half- were on two dump offs into the flat that were well defensed by Denver. 

3.      While the defense has played much better this week than last week, there are still some very frustrating moments.  Having them 2md and 16 deep in their own territory only to not just have them convert that, but then drive down for the score made my teeth itch.  We have to find a way to tighten our coverage.

4.      Laviska Shenault is an exciting player for us, but he has to start catching these passes.  I counted 2p3 drops by him, which brought some drives to a screeching halt.

5.      The team did a better job being a little more balanced, but the team still needs work in that area. That second series repeated the mistakes of last week.  I get you want your best player (TL) to make the plays, but give him more help.

6.      Now is officially the time to worry about Lambo.  He missed I think a 55 yard FG last week, and a 53 yarder this week on a high snap.  While you want him to make those, misses on those kicks were understandable.  But late in the first half, he missed a 48 yard FG.  More worrisome was his body language after both kicks.  He put his head down after both kicks.  Andrew Wingard came up to him and literally picked Lambo’s head up.  We can’t have Lambo go into a slump now.  Lambo aside, special teams was actually a plus.  Logan Cooke had a great game.  I was just thinking that so far Agnew has been a disappointment right before he had the kickoff return.  That was good to see.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.     Trevor Lawrence-Started out great on that first drive, then after that was off.  Suffered from some drops from Shenault mostly, and had a drop from Farrell, which would have been called back due to penalty.  Seems streaky.  I think part of it is his aggressiveness, where he is always looking to attack downfield, but that may come at a cost.  When he rolled to his right and threw long, he bypassed an open Chark shorter, which would have gotten him a first down.  His two INTs hurt, but at least weren’t the results of disastrous reads.  The first INT, he was late in getting the ball out.  I think a more experienced TL would have trusted his eyes and pulled the trigger a little sooner.  The second, he threw deep downfield and gave the receiver a chance to make a play.  While that was costly, I can’t fault the throw too much, at least not without seeing the coaches film to see if anyone else was open.

C.     Tyson Campbell-I didn’t see him get much playing time until it was announced that CJ Henderson went out with the hip injury.  However, as down as I have been on him, today I saw signs of progress.  He made a good play on the ball on that pass in the end zone.

E.      Andre Cisco-I think I saw him briefly.  Still no idea why he isn’t playing more.

G.    Jordan Smith-DNP

H.     Luke Farrell-Saw him more today than I did in any game so far, including the preseason.  However he didn’t make any real impact.  There was the play where he dropped the short pass, but it would have been negated by penalty anyway.  Then he got open nicely on the INT, but Trevor waited too long.

8.        The passing offense is not consistent.  But I think a huge problem is the lack of a quality receiving TE to give Trevor Lawrence a safety blanket over the middle.  When there is a play that needs to  be made, TL almost always looks to his WRs deep,  A good receiving target over the middle would work wonders for this offense, and will eliminate many of those long stretches we can't move the ball.

9.        I have to give credit to the coaching staff this week.  Even though we didn’t win, this was a much cleaner game than we played last week.  Offensively at times it seems like the coaching staff doesn’t really know what it has, and at times they seem to get away from the run.  Still, this represents some improvement.

10.     Good to see Josh Allen make another sack.  It looks like he could be on his way to a good year. RRH had some good pressures, and Gotsis had a good sack.  Chaisson even caused disruption on a running play.

11.          Bottom line-Going in I thought this would be a tough matchup, and I was right.  But it didn’t develop like I thought.  The pass protection was not an issue.  Problems with the defense and a lack of continuity on offense were the issues, and I think a lot of that is personnel related. Again, not the desired result, but there were signs of progress.

Thanks as always Bullseye.

1- The Oline seemed to be better this week against a better standard of pass rush as last week. Still think our run blocking is a problem and second level blocks seem something we still cant do but Oline did ok today. Weirdly they seemed to struggle more when Chubb went down.

3- D still feels very much a work in progress. We have committed to the 5 man front and i see the LB's and DB's struggling whether to drop down or play deep but you hope this is something they will learn and improve. We gave up a couple of deep plays and that seemed to make them play off which gave Denver the easy completions. Just wish we would make catches more contested.

4- Yeah Shenault had a rough day and killed a few drives that let Denver get back into the game. I think this year is going to be a 'prove you deserve to be here next year'  for the WR's. Hopefully Shenault bounces back.

5- Yeah the O needs to find that balance. We move away from the run too quickly and i think we had something like 189yds of offense today. Wont win in the NFL like that.

6-Great point and i noticed that with Lambo. Usually a pumped up guy but looked so down today.

7A- Yeah Lawrence needs to work on finding the shorter routes and not going for the huge pass every snap but i find it encouraging seeing him try and put the team on his back and drag us back into a game. Its his 2nd game but he wants to be that guy and thats a good quality to have. He will learn from his mistakes.

I get people being disappointed and angry but it was a step forward. Not a big one but it was better. Still plenty to improve and work on and the schedule only gets harder from here. The goal this season was being better in week 18 than week 1 and we shall see if Meyer can do that.

Pleasantly surprised that the online showed up, but cam and Taylor both have talent.

The defense.... where's the speed? Where's the playmaker? Josh Allen, Miles Jack maybe Hamilton and the rest are just guys.

TL16 wasn't accurate today.

That is all.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Why are Little, Cisco and Tefele not playing? They can’t possibly be any worse than what’s out there

(09-19-2021, 05:30 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 05:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: After a disastrous week one at Houston, our beloved Jaguars returned to Jacksonville and TIAA Bank field for their home opener against a very solid Broncos team that featured excellent skill players on offenselike RBs Melvin Gordon and rookie 2nd round pick Jevonte Williams, WRs Cortland Sutton and 2nd year speedy slot WR  KJ Hamler and TEs Noah Fant and Albert O.  On Defense, they offer formidable  pass rushers Bradley Chubb (returning from injury) and possible Hall of Famer Von Miller. 

My thoughts:

7.  Rookie Watch:

G.    Jordan Smith-DNP

Thanks as always Bullseye.

1- The Oline seemed to be better this week against a better standard of pass rush as last week. Still think our run blocking is a problem and second level blocks seem something we still cant do but Oline did ok today. Weirdly they seemed to struggle more when Chubb went down.

3- D still feels very much a work in progress. We have committed to the 5 man front and i see the LB's and DB's struggling whether to drop down or play deep but you hope this is something they will learn and improve. We gave up a couple of deep plays and that seemed to make them play off which gave Denver the easy completions. Just wish we would make catches more contested.

4- Yeah Shenault had a rough day and killed a few drives that let Denver get back into the game. I think this year is going to be a 'prove you deserve to be here next year'  for the WR's. Hopefully Shenault bounces back.

5- Yeah the O needs to find that balance. We move away from the run too quickly and i think we had something like 189yds of offense today. Wont win in the NFL like that.

6-Great point and i noticed that with Lambo. Usually a pumped up guy but looked so down today.

7A- Yeah Lawrence needs to work on finding the shorter routes and not going for the huge pass every snap but i find it encouraging seeing him try and put the team on his back and drag us back into a game. Its his 2nd game but he wants to be that guy and thats a good quality to have. He will learn from his mistakes.

I get people being disappointed and angry but it was a step forward. Not a big one but it was better. Still plenty to improve and work on and the schedule only gets harder from here. The goal this season was being better in week 18 than week 1 and we shall see if Meyer can do that.

1.  Not sure where I stand on the run blocking after two weeks.  Last week, we didn't run enough to really formulate an opinion, though I think those holding calls were bogus.  This week we showed more commitment to the run with some mixed results.  If you put a gun to my head, I'd say I'm reluctantly okay with it, but we could always stand to improve.  I wish Cam connected on that contain S on that Robinson run to the left.

4.  Coming off a 1-15 year, this is a prove you belong here year for a lot of players at a lot of positions.  I just wish we could just limit the drops.  I'd like to see where this offense would be after two weeks if we didn't have any drops.

7.  Agreed on those traits being admirable.  Experience will help him refine his decision making within that mindset.  With better personnel acquisitions, he'll have more reliable receivers both outside and at TE so that he won't have to play hero ball so often.

We are in complete agreement on your closing statement.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2021, 06:39 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

The coaching staff did much better this game than last game.
There is still room for them to do even better. I think they ran it about the right number of times, but they need to get their passing game in order. Establish a passing game that can consistently move the chains, and then start taking shots.
The defense is still a mess though.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

My thoughts:

7.  Rookie Watch:

G.    Jordan Smith-DNP

I'm not sure that wasn't partially on Farrell. I have a suspicion Farrell was running the wrong route, which is why Trevor didn't throw it sooner. He was running and looking over his inside shoulder. It wasn't until he broke to the post that Trevor threw it. Maybe it was an option by the TE, but just looked like Trevor was waiting on him. I don't know much about football, though. I could be wrong.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2021, 05:57 PM by Jags239. Edited 1 time in total.)

Same ole same ole. 1 quarter of good football. Did fortunately have prior commitments in the second half and missed it.

(09-19-2021, 05:53 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

My thoughts:

7.  Rookie Watch:

G.    Jordan Smith-DNP

I'm not sure that wasn't partially on Farrell. I have a suspicion Farrell was running the wrong route, which is why Trevor didn't throw it sooner. He was running and looking over his inside shoulder. It wasn't until he broke to the post that Trevor threw it. Maybe it was an option by the TE, but just looked like Trevor was waiting on him. I don't know much about football, though. I could be wrong.
You may well be right.  The play looked like he should have been facing outside, but not being privy to the playbook, I don't know for sure.

Me and my buddy all game were joking about Agnew, we'd just look at eachother and say "7 mil" everytime he fair caught a ball or did nothing. Went to take a poop and heard my friend freaking out, came back to see the replay of the return.. good to see.

My biggest take away is over all we made some progress maybe not much but at least some. Hopefully we can continue that.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(09-19-2021, 05:47 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 05:30 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Thanks as always Bullseye.

1.  Not sure where I stand on the run blocking after two weeks.  Last week, we didn't run enough to really formulate an opinion, though I think those holding calls were bogus.  This week we showed more commitment to the run with some mixed results.  If you put a gun to my head, I'd say I'm reluctantly okay with it, but we could always stand to improve.  I wish Cam connected on that contain S on that Robinson run to the left.

4.  Coming off a 1-15 year, this is a prove you belong here year for a lot of players at a lot of positions.  I just wish we could just limit the drops.  I'd like to see where this offense would be after two weeks if we didn't have any drops.

7.  Agreed on those traits being admirable.  Experience will help him refine his decision making within that mindset.  With better personnel acquisitions, he'll have more reliable receivers both outside and at TE so that he won't have to play hero ball so often.

We are in complete agreement on your closing statement.

1- I get you. The running game not getting going isnt just down to the Oline. Not sure why Hyde is getting so many carries and think losing Etienne has been a problem they didnt have a plan B for. Again hopefully its one of those things that gets better as we go on but i hope they have some more faith in Robinson

4- Thats a good point. Plenty of players need to step it up this year and id like to think the FO will be aggressive in bringing guys in. Thats been one of the most disappointing things so far, we didnt get any of the breaks in the Houston game and today we did enough to beat ourselves. Im not expecting perfection but just playing a clean game and making the other team beat us.

7- Yeah he needs to find that balance and i think hes just going through that rookie learning curve right now. He definitely needs players to help him out and the drops really arent helping. You want your go to guys and no one is proving that they are that guy yet.

Well, they did better than I had thought they would. I was looking at this game to see if they improved on the drops, penalties, play calling, etc.. today was light years ahead of last week. Trevor looked good most of the game. Later on he made a few mistakes. Throw it away instead of completing a pass for a loss of six or eight, whatever it was. As high as we all were on Lambo, had he not missed his kicks, it would have made a big difference in the game. Sure, we’re not a kicker away, but I think it’s time to move on. Today was a winnable game had they not left 6 points off the scoreboard earlier. Overall, I’m not too upset. Much improvement from last week. A few missed kicks and it could’ve been a different game.

Give Robinson the [BLEEP] ball.

Lambo looks like he's done. Missed two more today and is 0-3 on the season. He didn't look right in the preseason either as he was missing kicks in those games as well. That Hip injury looks to have taken it's toll.

After the first 10-15 scripted plays, this Offense doesn't look like it has a clue what it's doing as a whole. They definitely don't play with an identify even though they have a pretty obvious one in James Robinson. He needs to be the focal point going forward (should have been from the start).

Love that Lawrence is aggressive and takes shots, but there's a time and a place. I know he has to try and backpack this [BLEEP] show around, but he needs to play a little less hero ball.

Damien Wilson got benched for Shaq Quarterman.

Get Cisco on the field full time damn it.

Defense had their lapses at times, but they played well enough to win it. Still need to get much better and somebody not named Josh Allen needs to step up at rushing the passer.

How in the hell do you get a delay of game penalty on that onside kick attempt? Like how... Coaching/communication is still a major problem.

Again, Give James Robinson the [BLEEP] ball. This isn't rocket science. It will make life for the entire Offense so much easier and with a rookie QB, you'd think it'd be an easy no brainer decision for this coaching staff.. Especially when they preached running the football all off season.