Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ben Bartch - RG of the future??

I think lost in the emotion of a 2nd straight loss, bad performance all around, and some questionable coaching decisions... Was the play of Ben Bartch at RG after Cann went down with a hamstring injury. 

Cann has never been that great here, yet somehow always manages to get a new contract, and always seems to find a way to be the starting RG, he's a turnstile imho and we can do far better for far cheaper. 

When Bartch came in, He didn't give up a pressure or sack to me knowledge. He had good feet & technique, and got a little push in the run game for a few nice gains by Robinson. What was most impressive was his discipline, I didn't see him get flagged for a hold or a false start (one play in particular the entire Left Side went early, and he looked steady as ever on the right next to Linder). When the gamecast mentioned Cann going down, I decided to pay some more attention to Bartch as his replacement, and honestly it reminded me of when Uche Nwaneri came in in 2008/2009 after being a jar on the shelf for a year or so. If Bartch can continue to refine his technique and sticks to a strength and conditioning plan we could have the answer at one of the Guard spots!! 

We may need an entirely new set of OT's but that's another discussion. I think they should continue to give Bartch snaps even when Cann's back. As long as it doesn't lead to Lawrence getting hit, I think we should start to develop the next wave of core players.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wasn't he terrible last year in his limited time? I hope it means he's getting better and even though I'm not sold he's the answer as a starter it's a help to have solid backups.

(09-20-2021, 11:54 AM)Firesky Wrote: I think lost in the emotion of a 2nd straight loss, bad performance all around, and some questionable coaching decisions... Was the play of Ben Bartch at RG after Cann went down with a hamstring injury. 

Cann has never been that great here, yet somehow always manages to get a new contract, and always seems to find a way to be the starting RG, he's a turnstile imho and we can do far better for far cheaper. 

When Bartch came in, He didn't give up a pressure or sack to me knowledge. He had good feet & technique, and got a little push in the run game for a few nice gains by Robinson. What was most impressive was his discipline, I didn't see him get flagged for a hold or a false start (one play in particular the entire Left Side went early, and he looked steady as ever on the right next to Linder). When the gamecast mentioned Cann going down, I decided to pay some more attention to Bartch as his replacement, and honestly it reminded me of when Uche Nwaneri came in in 2008/2009 after being a jar on the shelf for a year or so. If Bartch can continue to refine his technique and sticks to a strength and conditioning plan we could have the answer at one of the Guard spots!! 

We may need an entirely new set of OT's but that's another discussion. I think they should continue to give Bartch snaps even when Cann's back. As long as it doesn't lead to Lawrence getting hit, I think we should start to develop the next wave of core players.

I have no problem with this what so ever. He needs to get some time with the starters. Cann is an UFA at the end of the season and he is not even an average OG, so why not play Bartch?

(09-20-2021, 12:46 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Wasn't he terrible last year in his limited time? I hope it means he's getting better and even though I'm not sold he's the answer as a starter it's a help to have solid backups.

Jumping from D3 to NFL, while switching positions, without even a true offseason because of Covid, on top of being a rookie .. yea no one expected him to be anything last year. We knew drafting him that he'd be a project but all of the key things you want he has, just has to be molded in the pro's.

I'm assuming Walker Little is going to need a year to acclimate with having taken 2 years off from playing essentially. As crazy at it sounds Linder is only 29, if we invest another high pick and make a good free agent signing our Oline can turn around quickly.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Bartch is really better suited to replace Norwell at this point since they've pushed him inside. He played on the left side in college, but I'd be happiest if he could play right tackle. It's easier to find guards (if you take the time to look) than tackles on either side, so if he can play outside that would set us up with both tackles sorted out.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2021, 02:02 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

The guy 90% of this board wanted last year. He would of been just as good at RG as RT. [BLEEP] Dave. He would of been our Zack Martin

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1441465430003097600?s=20

Wirfs would have been our LT.

Bartch seems to have nice movement skills but reportedly needs to work on his strength.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Thinking Bartch will be starting next year unless the team takes a guard high in the draft.

With Robinson, Cann and Norwell set to hit free agency the o-line is primed to be rebuilt. Maybe move Taylor inside and add a RT in FA?

Oline has been solid thusfar through 2 weeks..

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2021, 07:50 AM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

Leave the OL alone. They're tied for second place w/respect to less sacks and QB pressures given up thus far. Also if Barch was truly better than Cann, he'd be starting over Cann, wouldn't you think.

NH3...

"AZANE"

(09-26-2021, 07:46 AM)NH3 Wrote: Leave the OL alone. They're tied for second place w/respect to less sacks and QB pressures given up thus far. Also if Barch was truly better than Cann, he'd be starting over Cann, wouldn't you think.

NH3...

No, I wouldn't think that at all.

See: Wingard, Dewey
See: Robinson, James
See: Bryan, Tater Cakes
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Batch stepped in when Cann went down and played pretty well from what I noticed, especially in the first half.

(10-01-2021, 02:59 AM)enigma Wrote: Batch stepped in when Cann went down and played pretty well from what I noticed, especially in the first half.

He played well in the run game but was overpowered in pass pro. In my opinion, this is already one step better than Cann. I think we've got the new RG and with reps easily supplants Cann.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Keep Bartch in there as a starter. He's better than Cann and he's gonna be starting next season anyway.

(10-01-2021, 10:08 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 02:59 AM)enigma Wrote: Batch stepped in when Cann went down and played pretty well from what I noticed, especially in the first half.

He played well in the run game but was overpowered in pass pro. In my opinion, this is already one step better than Cann. I think we've got the new RG and with reps easily supplants Cann.

The knock on Bartch is his overall strength and after a couple years in the pro weight program I'm not sure how much stronger he'll get. He might be close to his ceiling there and that won't be good long term.

(10-01-2021, 10:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:08 AM)B2hibry Wrote: He played well in the run game but was overpowered in pass pro. In my opinion, this is already one step better than Cann. I think we've got the new RG and with reps easily supplants Cann.

The knock on Bartch is his overall strength and after a couple years in the pro weight program I'm not sure how much stronger he'll get. He might be close to his ceiling there and that won't be good long term.
I've heard that but if you watch him I think it is more technique than anything. He really plays high in pass pro. But he plays low and fires off the ball in the run game. I think with more reps he can correct himself. Remember, this dude has minimal game experience.

(10-01-2021, 10:14 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The knock on Bartch is his overall strength and after a couple years in the pro weight program I'm not sure how much stronger he'll get. He might be close to his ceiling there and that won't be good long term.
I've heard that but if you watch him I think it is more technique than anything. He really plays high in pass pro. But he plays low and fires off the ball in the run game. I think with more reps he can correct himself. Remember, this dude has minimal game experience.

Don't get me wrong, I want him in there, I just hope he's got more growth room to get better.

(10-01-2021, 10:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:14 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I've heard that but if you watch him I think it is more technique than anything. He really plays high in pass pro. But he plays low and fires off the ball in the run game. I think with more reps he can correct himself. Remember, this dude has minimal game experience.

Don't get me wrong, I want him in there, I just hope he's got more growth room to get better.

I think he has the room but do we have the coach to help get him there? Sadly, I think we know that answer. Confused

(10-01-2021, 10:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:14 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I've heard that but if you watch him I think it is more technique than anything. He really plays high in pass pro. But he plays low and fires off the ball in the run game. I think with more reps he can correct himself. Remember, this dude has minimal game experience.

He's only had one real offseason in a weightroom/strength and conditioning program. The year he was drafted, due to covid there was little he could do given restrictions. I think one or two more offseasons has him gain the right weight/muscle to back up his technique. He hasn't committed any boneheaded penalties thus far so I think all he needs is experience and some more time. He looks to be a good piece of the oline going forward.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!