Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacob Hollister

Anyone know why he was inactive yesterday?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Same reason Little and Tufele were inactive.
Same reason James Robinson doesn't get adequate touches.
Same reason the Jags staff thinks the only offensive option is throwing low percentage passes 20+ yds downfield repeatedly.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fblackandteal.com%2Fwp-cont...0x560.jpeg]

We should see him plenty now with Oshag missing a few weeks.

We desperately need a reliable pass-catching TE as an outlet for our passing game...

O'shaughnessy was turning the corner but thanks to #becausejaguars he's out with an injury.

Until things change, I just don't trust any of the players we have at that position currently.

(09-20-2021, 12:37 PM)INYC4jags Wrote: Same reason Little and Tufele were inactive.
Same reason James Robinson doesn't get adequate touches.
Same reason the Jags staff thinks the only offensive option is throwing low percentage passes 20+ yds downfield repeatedly.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fblackandteal.com%2Fwp-cont...0x560.jpeg]

Same as it ever was.....

In all my years of watching the Jaguars, this is the earliest I've seen the fan base turn on a coach.

I can't say there's no reason to distrust the coaching staff here.

I am just hoping they get things turned around. We can't ruin or waste Trevor Lawrence.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021, 05:26 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-21-2021, 05:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In all my years of watching the Jaguars, this is the earliest I've seen the fan base turn on a coach.

I am just hoping they get things turned around.  We can't ruin or waste Trevor Lawrence.

That's my worry. There is no reason to have a rookie QB throw this much and this many long passes in just 2 games. We should be easing him in with short, quick throws and mixing in the running game as well, but this doesn't seem to be the game plan. I can't understand it, because when Bevell was in Seattle he had a balanced offense and lived off short passes and bubble screens. Now, it looks like he wants Lawrence to throw 15+ yards down the field 2-3 times a drive. It's too much, too fast, imo.

(09-21-2021, 05:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In all my years of watching the Jaguars, this is the earliest I've seen the fan base turn on a coach.

I am just hoping they get things turned around.  We can't ruin or waste Trevor Lawrence.

That's my worry. There is no reason to have a rookie QB throw this much and this many long passes in just 2 games. We should be easing him in with short, quick throws and mixing in the running game as well, but this doesn't seem to be the game plan. I can't understand it, because when Bevell was in Seattle he had a balanced offense and lived off short passes and bubble screens. Now, it looks like he wants Lawrence to throw 15+ yards down the field 2-3 times a drive. It's too much, too fast, imo.

The only saving grace thus far is that TL hasn't taken a huge beating yet.

I am amazed the pass protection has held up as well as it has thus far.

That said, he narrowly escaped a potential knee injury last game, and the pass rushes only get stronger as the schedule progresses.

(09-21-2021, 05:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's my worry. There is no reason to have a rookie QB throw this much and this many long passes in just 2 games. We should be easing him in with short, quick throws and mixing in the running game as well, but this doesn't seem to be the game plan. I can't understand it, because when Bevell was in Seattle he had a balanced offense and lived off short passes and bubble screens. Now, it looks like he wants Lawrence to throw 15+ yards down the field 2-3 times a drive. It's too much, too fast, imo.

The only saving grace thus far is that TL hasn't taken a huge beating yet.

That said, he narrowly escaped a potential knee injury last game, and the pass rushes only get stronger as the schedule progresses.

Agreed. I know Bradley Chubb came into the game less than 100% and he reportedly re-aggravated his ankle injury in the game, so maybe we just got lucky with the O-Line. Who knows? Facing Chandler Jones and J.J. Watt is gonna be a huge test this week though.

(09-21-2021, 05:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The only saving grace thus far is that TL hasn't taken a huge beating yet.

Agreed. I know Bradley Chubb came into the game less than 100% and he reportedly re-aggravated his ankle injury in the game, so maybe we just got lucky with the O-Line. Who knows? Facing Chandler Jones and J.J. Watt is gonna be a huge test this week though.
As I've said in another thread, this week there needs to be a bigger offensive emphasis on small ball.

More patience and persistence in the running game.

Shorter drops, quicker releases.

Be more content with short and intermediate gains.

If we execute that should translate into better down and distance situations, less predictability, more consistency, more sustained drives, better protection for Trevor Lawrence, more rest for the defense.

Well, to be fair, they turned on him the day he was announced. I don't think anything he has or hasn't done was really going to change that.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-21-2021, 05:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. I know Bradley Chubb came into the game less than 100% and he reportedly re-aggravated his ankle injury in the game, so maybe we just got lucky with the O-Line. Who knows? Facing Chandler Jones and J.J. Watt is gonna be a huge test this week though.
As I've said in another thread, this week there needs to be a bigger offensive emphasis on small ball.

If we execute that should translate into better down and distance situations, less predictability, more consistency, more sustained drives, better protection for Trevor Lawrence, more rest for the defense.

How is it that we all know this and the coaching staff doesn't?

This is the complete opposite if Bevell's Seattle offense for Wilson's rookie year, which tells me Urban must be having a large degree of input there.

(09-21-2021, 05:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The only saving grace thus far is that TL hasn't taken a huge beating yet.

Ironically. We protected very well and all hell broke loose when Chubb actually went out.

(09-21-2021, 05:59 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

Well, to be fair, they turned on him the day he was announced. I don't think anything he has or hasn't done was really going to change that.

Definitely this coupled with the fact this fan base is absolutely losing-fatigued. We’ve suffered through so many years of incompetence and ignominy that everyone is just tired of it. There might be a little more leeway afforded a more experienced NFL coach, but I would be willing to bet the pitchforks would be out much sooner than any previous coach.

(09-21-2021, 07:34 AM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote: As I've said in another thread, this week there needs to be a bigger offensive emphasis on small ball.

This is the complete opposite if Bevell's Seattle offense for Wilson's rookie year, which tells me Urban must be having a large degree of input there.

I'm not sure the coaching staff doesn't know this on some level already.

I think down and distance/game circumstance helped govern this in the first two games.

I think on some level, the team sees Trevor Lawrence as the offense's best player, so on top of the negative game circumstances, they will lean heavily on him to try to ein games.

I think another part of it is  the lack of viable short and intermediate targets.  The WRs have dropped short passes when they've run those short crossing routes, and we all know about our TEs.

Some of it is the coaching staff panicking and getting away from underneath stuff/running game.

Finally I think some of it is Trevor Lawrence being an aggressive  but young QB.  At Clemson he had superior players on his side and he could go after bigger chunks of yardage.  He was also used to winning all the time.  With his team not being more talented than the opposition now, he finds himself in adverse conditions.  His instinct to try to get the team back in the game can lead to him being overly aggressive, and instead of being content with nickel and dime gains, he's trying to take $20 bills.

All of this has combined, I think, in what we've seen so far.

(09-21-2021, 07:34 AM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote: As I've said in another thread, this week there needs to be a bigger offensive emphasis on small ball.

But we were told that Meyer, the micromanager who literally put himself in the hospital with his overreach and demand for control of every minute detail, is completely hands off and letting his assistants do all the lifting? He said so himself even? How could it be different than what honest and transparent Urban told us??? How could we not believe that Darrell Bevell completely changed his game plan and play call styles after 10 years in the NFL when we have such ironclad proof as that? No, Urban is a new man and anything that's going wrong is the fault of those coordinators that he's completely relying on to do everything!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-21-2021, 05:59 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

There were a lot of folks against the hire before it was official, so I wouldn't consider that a "turn"

And yes, his lack of winning, production, and adaptability have done him no favors to win over his detractors. This fanbase has been subjected to enough empty promises and coachspeak that those words from a podium aren't going to sway their opinion.

Now if he does turn things around and get this team winning, there will be a lot of relieved sighs, and maybe even some changed attitudes. After a decade of ineptitude, though, tempers run short. It's understandable.

(09-21-2021, 05:42 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 05:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. I know Bradley Chubb came into the game less than 100% and he reportedly re-aggravated his ankle injury in the game, so maybe we just got lucky with the O-Line. Who knows? Facing Chandler Jones and J.J. Watt is gonna be a huge test this week though.

In regards to the part in bold, Meyer said that the reason they passed more than they liked was because they were behind.  But being behind by 10 points in the 3rd quarter is not a good reason to abandon the run.  That seems like illogical panic.  If I thought the best way for my team to win was with offensive balance, I wouldn't abandon the run until it was really necessary.   For example, 10 points down with 5 minutes to go.  Not 10 points down with a quarter and a half remaining on the clock.

(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

In regards to the part in bold, Meyer said that the reason they passed more than they liked was because they were behind.  But being behind by 10 points in the 3rd quarter is not a good reason to abandon the run.  That seems like illogical panic.  If I thought the best way for my team to win was with offensive balance, I wouldn't abandon the run until it was really necessary.   For example, 10 points down with 5 minutes to go.  Not 10 points down with a quarter and a half remaining on the clock.

Thank you. 

They can still achieve balance in the 2nd and early 3rd quarters of games while also taking some shots to get caught up. It doesn't have to be "panic and throw away any sense of a game plan" when you've got 8 more possessions coming your way. 

Going 3 and out with 3 straight passes to start the 2nd half in week one was atrocious.

I am NOT buying the "situation and scoreboard" excuse for abandoning the run as well as the high completion percentage passes.

(09-21-2021, 09:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

No kidding...  Imagine if the tacks had abandoned the run half way through the third quarter yesterday.  They probably lose by 20ish.  Granted, we don't have a Henry, but Robinson is no slouch.