Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hope or something.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2021, 06:21 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

Well ever since Lawrence said he was a giant Peyton Manning fan growing up, taking his college number etc and of course being compared to ole jughead based on his draft hype/talent.. I find it fun to look for comparisions between the two. 

Week 1:
Peyton Manning: 1 TD 3 INTs 302 yds 58.6 QB rating with a loss to the Dolphins.
Trevor Lawrence: 3 TD 3 INTs 332 yds 70.1 QB rating with a loss to the Texans.

Week 2:
Peyton Manning:1 TD 3 INTs 188 yards 51.1 QB rating with a loss to the Patriots.
Trevor Lawrence: 1 TD 2 INTs 118 yards 37.2 QB rating with a loss to the Broncos.

Very similar start to their careers, Peyton and the colts went 0-4 to start his rookie season getting completely blown out in 2 of the 4 games. He went 3-13 that season. Will be curious to see if Trevor is able to turn it around faster than Peyton did but at the end of the day it's just a reminder for no one to freak out and scream bust for Lawrence or Meyer just yet. I have my doubts on T Law from watching his college play, but none of it seems like it's impossible to coach out of him. We shall see.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nice

These comparisons are misleading. There’s so many other factors to take into consideration. Lawrence can’t turn this bus around by himself. There’s 52 other players and a coaching staff who need to help. The only thing it proves, really, is that rookie QBs pretty much suck for at least half a season.

(09-21-2021, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: These comparisons are misleading. There’s so many other factors to take into consideration. Lawrence can’t turn this bus around by himself. There’s 52 other players and a coaching staff who need to help. The only thing it proves, really, is that rookie QBs pretty much suck for at least half a season.

Peyton did have Marshal Faulk and Marvin Harrison btw. The comparison isn't really to say "hey this guy is Peyton Manning" but more of a, hey look one of the goats started off terribly and he did ok for himself.. so don't freak out type of thing.

Nothing about what Trevor has done so far worries me at all. If he's still making the same mistakes next season then I'd think it's a problem. Right now is his time for mulligans.

(09-21-2021, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: These comparisons are misleading. There’s so many other factors to take into consideration. Lawrence can’t turn this bus around by himself. There’s 52 other players and a coaching staff who need to help. The only thing it proves, really, is that rookie QBs pretty much suck for at least half a season.
I think what it really proves is that situation, HC and organization play a bigger role than the QBs actual traits.

If Mahomes went to the Lions let's say, would he be considered the best QB in the league? Probably not.

Trevor is however, the one QB taken in the last 10 years that I think has the ability to turn an entire franchise around despite bad coaching and a bad organization.

(09-22-2021, 06:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Nothing about what Trevor has done so far worries me at all. If he's still making the same mistakes next season then I'd think it's a problem. Right now is his time for mulligans.

The INTs don't worry me a ton, but the constant accuracy issues i've seen do a little bit.

(09-23-2021, 04:32 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 06:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Nothing about what Trevor has done so far worries me at all. If he's still making the same mistakes next season then I'd think it's a problem. Right now is his time for mulligans.

The INTs don't worry me a ton, but the constant accuracy issues i've seen do a little bit.

I'm not sure I've seen constant accuracy issues. I've seen him throw a few behind a guy or something like that, which were probably accuracy, or he could have meant for them to slow down to catch them. I've also seen him throw a few that seemed like they weren't going to one of our guys at all. It's possible he threw inaccurately, but it's also possible he just thought that's where the receiver would be.

He could probably tell us which ones he was inaccurate on, but as far as I know he hasn't done a public session to do that sort of thing.

From what I've seen so far he looks like the most talented guy the Jaguars have ever had at the position by a large margin. The 41 yard td to Chark in week one was something no one else we've had could have done.

He’s two games into an NFL career. You’re overreacting.

Everything on our offense is out of sync.  Trevor's accuracy issues might be from a combination of things: trying to throw to receivers who are not getting separation, plus trying to avoid turnovers, plus the pressure of trying to carry the offense when the coaches constantly abandon the running game.

Trevor forcing balls deep is a much bigger issue than separation.

The all 22 shows receivers with plenty of separation consistently. Trevor is late with many throws allowing defenders to close in, and throws deep into coverage often having a similar effect.

Receivers coming out of their breaks are often open. You have to watch the whole route.

(09-23-2021, 08:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Trevor forcing balls deep is a much bigger issue than separation.

The all 22 shows receivers with plenty of separation consistently. Trevor is late with many throws allowing defenders to close in, and throws deep into coverage often having a similar effect.

Receivers coming out of their breaks are often open. You have to watch  the whole route.

I was at the game, and I stand by my statement.  I didn't notice receivers getting much separation. 

If you are correct, though, it seems like the solution is pretty simple: practice.

(09-23-2021, 12:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 08:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Trevor forcing balls deep is a much bigger issue than separation.

Receivers coming out of their breaks are often open. You have to watch  the whole route.

I was at the game, and I stand by my statement.  I didn't notice receivers getting much separation. 

If you are correct, though, it seems like the solution is pretty simple: practice.

He has game rewind so he is commenting on the all 22 that shows this is the case. If you have money, game rewind from nfl.com is very cool. Condensed games, all 22, historical archives (or in our case hysterical archives), etc

I don't have the time or I would have bought it already.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Time to admit Trevor is a bust after 2 games and start looking at QB's in the draft next year.

(09-23-2021, 07:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Time to admit Trevor is a bust after 2 games and start looking at QB's in the draft next year.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76111183c90dc73667d574...y.gif&ct=g]

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2021, 05:10 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(09-23-2021, 07:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 04:32 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The INTs don't worry me a ton, but the constant accuracy issues i've seen do a little bit.

Everything on our offense is out of sync.  Trevor's accuracy issues might be from a combination of things: trying to throw to receivers who are not getting separation, plus trying to avoid turnovers, plus the pressure of trying to carry the offense when the coaches constantly abandon the running game.

I'm not talking about him throwing to covered WRs, i'm talking about the passes i've seen him throw on 5-15 yard routes, only for the ball to sail extremely high or hit the dirt whilst also him being under no pressure whatsoever. I'm not overreacting I expect him to clean it up but it is worrying, these are passes that Blake rarely missed tho even in his rookie season... looks more like something we'd see from our former sunshine.

(09-23-2021, 07:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Time to admit Trevor is a bust after 2 games and start looking at QB's in the draft next year.

My problem with Trevor now and predraft has always been his inconsistent accuracy and decision making. He's got everything else, the arm, the talent whatever you want he has it. But like we've seen the last 2 weeks he has some things he needs to focus in on and clear up. Things you'd think he would have been working on since leaving Clemson honestly, none of this is new or "adjusting to the NFL" if you were already doing it in the college ranks. 

He's not a bust, likely will be at least a top 10 QB provided he can work it out. But this was the only reason I was skeptical predraft. I'll remain a little bit skeptical until I see him have at least a couple good games where these issues don't creep up.

I'll take something

Nope, he’s been inconsistent for his first two games in an elite league. Now is the time to worry and pass final judgment on his future. Anything else just makes you a Trevor homer. Open your eyes!

Throwing to receivers that aren't open probably has worked for him all through training camp and in practice. The difference is other teams dbs actually look for the ball, ours not so much.
In Dougie I Trust!

It’s equal parts timing being off between he and the receivers and the speed at which he’s processing things on the field which will naturally increase with experience. Would be nice if one of these weeks it just all clicks for him and he starts dominating, but more likely it will be gradual improvements week to week. He should look much better come December than he does today though.