Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody here collect stuff?

I recently started collecting NES games. I have a bunch of the old classics like contra, punch out, Zelda, rad racer, double dragon. I just bought a bootleg copy of stadium events but I haven’t played it yet.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My wife said no girlfriends, so it's just guns and power tools for me.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I have a pretty good collection of half-read books, electronics in need of repair, and way too many dead batteries.

#dadlyfe

Dust

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(09-22-2021, 09:57 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Dust

Methuselah?

I have like 8 guns and 6 guitars, not sure if that counts. 

My dad is a little bit of a car/motorcycle collector so I'll steal a car every now and then for the day.

(09-22-2021, 02:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 09:57 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Dust

Methuselah?

That's just a nickname

I have a vintage handbag and broach collection.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I seem to have inherited a stamp collection. I have no idea if any of them are worth anything.

(09-23-2021, 12:46 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I have a vintage handbag and broach collection.

So it was you!

I collect empty bourbon bottles.

Of course they aren't empty when I acquire them, that's the fun of collecting!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-23-2021, 03:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I collect empty bourbon bottles.

Of course they aren't empty when I acquire them, that's the fun of collecting!

Blanton's?

(09-23-2021, 12:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:46 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I have a vintage handbag and broach collection.

So it was you!

So you’re saying I’m really a guy? Lol
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(09-23-2021, 05:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: So it was you!

You don’t look like a Wayens brother do you?   When I see that footage, for some reason I think of “In living color”

(09-23-2021, 05:38 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: So it was you!

I ain't sayin' you are, I ain't sayin' you ain't...  Ninja

Tongue

Surfboards and vintage home audio. I've gotten pretty good at making broken speakers work. With surfboards, I just never get rid of them. I've accumulated 10, and use only 3. The $100 foam board from the warehouse store is actually the one I use the most.

(09-26-2021, 09:43 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Surfboards and vintage home audio.  I've gotten pretty good at making broken speakers work.  With surfboards, I just never get rid of them.  I've accumulated 10, and use only 3.  The $100 foam board from the warehouse store is actually the one I use the most.

I still have my Yamaha M-80 power amp and pre-amp lol

I used to have (4) 15" 3 way Cerwin Vegas being pushed by that thing.. Weighs a ton and has grab bars on it lol

I donated the Yamaha equipment I bought back in the 80's to Goodwill a couple of years ago. Sound systems are so much more efficient and better sounding with component speakers. The old formula of big power pushing big inefficient speakers is long gone. The craftsmanship of some of those old tuners and amplifiers is incredible, though.

The Denon 5.1 AV receiver I'm using now kicking out 75W per channel driving five relatively small speakers with a subwoofer sounds leagues better than the old Yamaha 400W amp driving a pair of JBL L80T floor speakers and some small rears.

Last year I bought a couple of Bose 301s to use as my front speakers because I really like their sound dispersion. They replaced a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers which were ridiculously directional. It's a good thing I bought the 301s when I did because Bose stopped making them this year. They don't make anything that large anymore, which were considered quaint little speakers back in the day of the 901s and 601s. It's all about efficiency and component systems now.

Guns and a pretty sizable sports card collection, baseball and football. I've been collecting sports cards for like 40 years. Last count, I had somewhere around 12,000.

(09-26-2021, 10:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I donated the Yamaha equipment I bought back in the 80's to Goodwill a couple of years ago. Sound systems are so much more efficient and better sounding with component speakers. The old formula of  big power pushing big inefficient speakers is long gone. The craftsmanship of some of those old tuners and amplifiers is incredible, though.

The Denon 5.1 AV receiver I'm using now kicking out 75W per channel driving five relatively small speakers with a subwoofer sounds leagues better than the old Yamaha 400W amp driving a pair of JBL L80T floor speakers and some small rears.

Last year I bought a couple of Bose 301s to use as my front speakers because I really like their sound dispersion. They replaced a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers which were ridiculously directional.  It's a good thing I bought the 301s when I did because Bose stopped making them this year. They don't make anything that large anymore, which were considered quaint little speakers back in the day of the 901s and 601s. It's all about efficiency and component systems now.

In the speaker nerd camp, Bose are considered average with an expensive nameplate (No highs, no lows, must be Bose).  But during my cheap thrift store speaker buying experience, I picked up a couple of 301s.  They're fantastic.  I gave them to my little brother one Christmas, knowing his wife would let him put them up, since name brands are a big thing with her.  He set them up as surrounds, and I am now convinced there's not a bookshelf speaker pair under a grand that can beat them. 

I've got a component setup downstairs and an old school 70s setup upstairs.  I love them both, but the upstairs setup is just super clear.  It's a 50 wpc Technics with some Radio Shack Optimus speakers with 15" woofers that weigh about 50 pounds each.  I've never turned the volume past halfway.  And as you mentioned, the craftsmanship of the older receivers/amps is nothing short of beautiful.

I'm currently at 8 receivers, 6 subwoofers, and about a dozen pairs of speakers.  I've run out of family to give them all to, but I've also got good enough stuff to stop acquiring equipment indiscriminately.