Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Time machine (Draft, GM, Coach)

If you had a time machine and could tweak the Jaguars past, what would you change to see how things improve?

I know this an off-season type thread but keeps coming to my mind based on recent events and franchise failures. Interested in what others think.

Draft
I would redo Derick Harvey dump of draft picks and fortify the team so we extend our playoff window. Taking the pressure off that all in draft to chase the superbowl would probably have prevented the Gene Smith years. 

GM
Get rid of Caldwell sooner so we could avoid the shambles of a roster we have right now. Really if we focused on offense better we probably could have lost enough to still pick up Lawrence but right now we would have talent around the QB.

Coach
Avoid Gus Bradley. I would have let Murlarkey stay with a gutted roster. Saving the cheerleader didn't save the Jaguars world.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not hire tom coughlin back in 2017, we would probably still have some star power on defense and maybe drafted Mahomes or watson instead of fournette.

(09-27-2021, 03:17 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Not hire tom coughlin back in 2017, we would probably still have some star power on defense and maybe drafted Mahomes or watson instead of fournette.

That is a good one.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-27-2021, 03:17 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Not hire tom coughlin back in 2017, we would probably still have some star power on defense and maybe drafted Mahomes or watson instead of fournette.

Dumb dumb dumb.

No Coughlin no 2017 playoff season. You have NOTHING to prove otherwise. Caldwell never had a good season without Coughlin. Some of the defensive veterans we signed came here because of TC.
Also, Caldwell was the one who made Ramsey cry and ask for a trade, somehow slow people still blame TC.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(09-27-2021, 03:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

Dumb dumb dumb.

No Coughlin no 2017 playoff season. You have NOTHING to prove otherwise. Caldwell never had a good season without Coughlin. Some of the defensive veterans we signed came here because of TC.
Also, Caldwell was the one who made Ramsey cry and ask for a trade, somehow slow people still blame TC.

Well in fairness I would have been down to get rid of Caldwell then aswell. Not dumb dumb at all, Coughlin did nothing for us. He was trash the first time he was here and the last time when it came to personel.

(09-27-2021, 03:25 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 03:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Dumb dumb dumb.

Well in fairness I would have been down to get rid of Caldwell then aswell. Not dumb dumb at all, Coughlin did nothing for us. He was trash the first time he was here and the last time when it came to personel.

You comment like someone who wasn't born the first time he was here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2021, 03:36 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(09-27-2021, 03:25 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 03:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Dumb dumb dumb.

Yes it is dumb, really dumb but look who I am talking to...
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Gene smith, don't hire him in the first place.

don't play leftwich over Garrard.

don't draft Fournette. we should of drafted Watson or Mahomes

The obvious change would be to draft Terrell Suggs instead of Leftwich and then in the following year when you need a QB to replace Brunell, you take Big Ben instead of Reggie Williams. JDR wanted Suggs but Shack Harris wanted Leftwich so we went QB and then WR in the following year.

(09-27-2021, 03:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The obvious change would be to draft Terrell Suggs instead of Leftwich and then in the following year when you need a QB to replace Brunell, you take Big Ben instead of Reggie Williams.  JDR wanted Suggs but Shack Harris wanted Leftwich so we went QB and then WR in the following year.

Beat me to it.  Was it the Vikings that ran over their 15 minutes on the clock? And we rushed to the stage to get Leftwich.  So many "what ifs" the last 20 years.

Khalil Mack
Derek Carr
Allen Robinson

Over

Blake Bottles
Marqis Lee
Allen Robinson

(09-27-2021, 03:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 03:25 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Well in fairness I would have been down to get rid of Caldwell then aswell. Not dumb dumb at all, Coughlin did nothing for us. He was trash the first time he was here and the last time when it came to personel.

You comment like someone who wasn't born the first time he was here.

you know what, there it is.

I had a few ideas of changing things. Go back to last offseason, fire Marrone and throw the farm at an up and coming coach like Matt Rhule. Don't promote Gene to GM. Never hire a Carroll failson as coach. Don't draft this guy or that guy. But nope, here it is.

Never give TC personnel authority during his first stint with the team. You could argue that we've never fully recovered from the ramifications of cap hell. If he was just left to coach, does he stay here longer, have a stable roster that goes on sustained playoff runs, makes Jacksonville a destination for free agents? No idea, but I'd love to see how reality differs.

I would have lost to the Dolphins in the first round of the 1996-97 playoff season. I'm convinced our franchise has been cursed after humiliating Marino and Jimmy Johnson and making it all the way to the AFC Championship in only the 2nd year of the franchise.