Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4th and 1

(10-01-2021, 12:01 AM)CSTblank Wrote: I still don’t hate the play. Defense without a single stop all 2nd half. If the defense even makes 1 stop, Jags win with or without points on that play

I agree with you overall.

I don't hate that we went for it, I just didn't like the actual play call of running that out of the shotgun instead of under center - but hindsight is 20/20. 

The defense got thoroughly abused in the second half and add a few wishy-washy calls by the refs and we got the result at the end of the night.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-01-2021, 12:04 AM)High Octane Wrote: Should have done a QB sneak or let James run the ball.

I hate being in shotgun formation on that every play.

My thoughts. I like going for it there; you're 0-3 in the midst of an 18 game losing streak dating back to a season ago.

That said, I don't need overly creative plays for no reason. This is the second week in a row the team decided to forgo not just conventional wisdom but a working strategy and got cute to disastrous results. It was frustrating last week, now that it's becoming a pattern it's becoming a concern...
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

it was an option and Trevor probably should have pitched.... if you guys are going to [BLEEP] about the play call, at least understand what it was, jeez. It was a play that had been working, Bengals were able to stop it...its football, that happens

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 12:48 AM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don't think we win the game even if we went for 3.

If Lawrence gets the TD at the end of the first half, many of you who are criticizing Meyer would of been calling it "gutsy" "great aggressive playcall" etc etc. I do not hate the playcall. The defense lost us the game by not able to get the Bengals off the field the entire 2nd half. Burrow was too comfortable with no pass rush.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We have a 6'6" QB. Why in God's name didn't we just run a simple QB sneak from directly under center? The run lane was there, but by the time we ran the draw from the shotgun, the lane had closed up. That cost us the game. What a crap play. Thanks a lot Bevell!

(10-01-2021, 01:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We have a 6'6" QB. Why in God's name didn't we just run a simple QB sneak from directly under center? The run lane was there, but by the time we ran the draw from the shotgun, the lane had closed up. That cost us the game. What a crap play. Thanks a lot Bevell!

No the Defense cost us this game. Point, blank, period.

313 yards and 24 points in one half...

(10-01-2021, 12:45 AM)CinciJag Wrote: it was an option and Trevor probably should have pitched.... if you guys are going to [BLEEP] about the play call, at least understand what it was, jeez.  It was a play that had been working, Bengals were able to stop it...its football, that happens

You see that a lot from college players with a history of fleet footedness.  Trying to do the same in the NFL doesn't work but for the most outrageous QB running talents.  The standard of NFL athlete is too high for option plays where the QB runs.  He'll learn to save his fleet feet for the broken play scramble and stop with the QB runs.

I reckon that play selection will die from the side as TLaw learns to better use his more dangerous assets in his arm and his decision making.

(10-01-2021, 01:09 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 01:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We have a 6'6" QB. Why in God's name didn't we just run a simple QB sneak from directly under center? The run lane was there, but by the time we ran the draw from the shotgun, the lane had closed up. That cost us the game. What a crap play. Thanks a lot Bevell!

There's a lot of blame to go around. Something has to be done about the defense. It's the same story every week. No pass rush and no one can cover. This defense is gonna kill me.

Didn’t think the play was a draw, thought it was an option.

Still can’t fathom not putting a huge, athletic QB under center and sneaking it. Unfathomable.

*I like the word, fathom.

I prefer inconceivable.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 09:29 AM by Mikey.)

(09-30-2021, 11:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Nope.

Defense got pencil whipped and out played in the 2nd half. It wouldn't have made a difference. The Defense literally didn't stop anything in the 2nd half. It was pathetic.

this, and IMO the hold to negate the sack was a bigger momentum changer.

We aren't a playoff caliber team this year. 4th and 1, go ahead and take the shot. Let's take some risks. It might work, it might not. Now's the time to roll the dice to see what we got. No concern whatsoever with them taking that chance.

(09-30-2021, 11:48 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: remeber Bevil is the idiot that threw a pass on the half yard line at the end of the superbowl instead of running beastmode to win the game.

oh, I remember this every time we encounter a short yardage play.

I remembered this when everyone (myself included) was griping about 5 carries against the tinhorns.

overcoaching is a thing, and it may well be Bevell's thing.

(10-01-2021, 01:09 AM)Eric1 Wrote:

Other than the one touchdown Drive, the offense did nothing in the second half and did the defense no favors. Not all on the defense
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(10-01-2021, 09:36 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 01:09 AM)Eric1 Wrote: No the Defense cost us this game. Point, blank, period.

Other than the one touchdown Drive, the offense did nothing in the second half and did the defense no favors. Not all on the defense

Defending our offense was simple in the second half; shutdown Robinson and stay with our receivers who apparently stop to check their phones after running their routes.

(10-01-2021, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 09:36 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Other than the one touchdown Drive, the offense did nothing in the second half and did the defense no favors. Not all on the defense

Defending our offense was simple in the second half; shutdown Robinson and stay with our receivers who apparently stop to check their phones after running their routes.

I'm really concerned about the WR group, at one point when Agnew was in the game it reminded me of the 90s Oilers with a bunch of sub 6 ft receivers out there.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

While I believe you always take the points early on, that play did not cost us the game. In fact, I like the aggressiveness. You play to win, not play to lose! The back end of our defense folded in the second half...well really, the Bengals just attacked it like they should have from the beginning. We really lack a strong CB or two.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

It's all the coaching and play calling. It has been terrible and continues to be. They get too cute instead of just doing something they are good at and that is running straight ahead.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(10-01-2021, 10:07 AM)p_rushing Wrote: It's all the coaching and play calling. It has been terrible and continues to be. They get too cute instead of just doing something they are good  at and that is running straight ahead.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was going to say, "too cute" is exactly what's wrong. In a way it comes across as a symptom of UM's arrogance, he thinks he can fool the other guy instead of just doing what works.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Hindsight is 20-20. If they had handed off to Robinson, and he had failed to get in, everyone would be saying, why didn't they let Trevor run it, that was working the whole half, why didn't they do what had been working?

Lots of ways to analyze it.

Trevor could have run to the right side pylon and trotted into the end zone untouched. But he tried to find a lane inside.

I probably would've kicked the FG, personally. Lots of time left to make more aggressive calls at that point.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 10:41 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-01-2021, 09:44 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While I believe you always take the points early on, that play did not cost us the game. In fact, I like the aggressiveness. You play to win, not play to lose! The back end of our defense folded in the second half...well really, the Bengals just attacked it like they should have from the beginning. We really lack a strong CB or two.

I dont know man, I dont see how getting what would surely be a gimmie 3 pts is playing to lose. Pissing away certain points that would have impacted the 2nd half and possibly the final score is playing to lose, IMHO. That play killed our momentum, fired up the Bengals, and got what was a booing home crowd re-energized. Both Jags units pretty much sucked after that.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption