Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bengals Game

This is almost what we've been waiting for.  The team has been gradually and incrementally improving since the week one disaster in Houston.  They cut down on the stupid penalties.  They cut down on the drops-I don't recall any last night.  In fact, there were a couple of really good catches that continued drives for once.  They started running the ball more.  I've often said it takes about 5 weeks for a team with a new coach and new schemes to put it altogether.  The Jaguars looked like have put it all together in four weeks-at least in the first half.  My thoughts on the game.

1.  Sucks to hear about Chark and his fractured ankle.  Hopefully he'll be okay and will return this year.  Hopefully Cann is okay.

2.  One of the things that made me proud about this performance is how the team performed in the trenches.  In the first half the O-Line dominated in the running game, and the D-line was right there with them.  The first sack of Burrow was a thing of beauty...a clinic on pocket collapsing.  This is the kind of small ball/big boy football we've urged for a couple of weeks now.  The so called "big uglies" performed well.  Outstanding work!  The second half?  Offensively the lin play was still pretty good, though I don't like that hit TL took on the play where defensive holding negated the sack.  The problem came defensively.  What the heck happened?  We stuffed everything in the first half, and then all of a sudden we couldn't stop zone?  We need to find a way to rush the passer/

3.  I have to give credit to the coaching staff.  I thought for the most part, the play calling was superb.  I wasn't crazy about that 4th and goal call.  I supported going for it, but I wasn't thrilled with that call.  But I can see why they did it.  It had been working all first half.  But that triggered a pet peeve of mine-getting too cute inside the 5.  When Brunell threw those AFCCG end zone INTs againt New England and Tennessee, the team was getting too cute.  To give a more contemporary example, when Bevell's Seahawks were in the Super Bowl, they threw at the one instead of running beast mode.  Even though they didn't pass, TL in the shotgun?  No.  I would have preferred him under center and just pounded it in.  If you were going to pass, play action and a bootleg would have been my preferred strategy.

4.  Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, but I was actually annoyed at Myles Jack's play.  Conversely, Agnew is a candidate (top 3) for MVP of the first quarter of the season.

5.  This was a strangely officiated game.  Not necessarily egregiously officiated, but strangely officiated.  They didn't throw many flags, which helped the flow of the game immensely, but there were some head scratchers.  On the 4th and2 punt they called an illegal motion penalty on the Jaguars.  Tey seemed to assert the long snapper bobbed his head, but he never seemed to move his head.  Even the announcers wondered why they called that penalty.  The Bengals jumped offside on their own.  To be honest, there were several other times the Jaguars should have been called for that and weren't.  There was a questionable hit on Trevor Lawrence I've seen called for other QBs that wasn't called (they waived off the flag), but there was also a play where I thought the Jaguars could have been guilty of a personal foul (Norwell) on a run play that wasn't called.  That holding penalty on that second half sack was a killer.

6.     Special teams was nondescript.  Cook had a decent game.  Agnew didn't have many returns, and he fumbled one of them out of bounds.  But most notable is our kicker made all of his extra point.  At least for that game, it gave the appearance of competency in the place kicking.

7.     Rookie Watch

A.  Trevor Lawrence-had perhaps his best game as a pro.  he committed no turnovers.  He made very good decisions to throw the ball away, whether to acoid a sack or to avoid an INT.  He used his mobility to rush for some key yardage throughout the game.  If you wonder why he was taken first overall, recall his throws to Agnew down the left sideline and to Shenault on a scramble to the right for 52.  There weren't the long stretches where he made no completions and the offense completely bogged down.  He responded well when the Bengals tied the game, leading a drive to retake the lead.  This game definitely represents progress as far as his development is concerned.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP...on IR

C.  Tyson Campbell-Was torched deep by Jamar Chase on a key pass in the 3rd quarter that flipped the field and gave the Bengals momentum.  Once again frustrated me with his play.

D.  Walker Little-DNP

E.  Andre Cisco-did not see him at all.

F.  Jay Tufele-I don't think he was active

G.  Jordan Smith-I don't think he was active

H.  Luke Farrell-had his best game.  Had some key blocks in the running game, earning praise fromt he announcers.  IIRC, he also had a catch.

8.  Speaking of TEs, our new guy, Arnold, had a nice first game, especially considering we just traded for him and it was a short week.  he showed more physical ability regarding speed/agility than any TE we've had on the roster in years.

9.  James Robinson had a heckuva game.  The more he runs, the more I'm left to wonder why the team got away from him at any point in the season.

10.  Bottom line-Offensively, the team played about as well as you could play and still lose.  There were no drops or penalties.  They controlled the LOS for most of the game.  They took care of the football, didn't beat themselves, and moved the ball throughout the game.  Defensively, they were effective in the first half, and largely invisible in the second.  We need more catalysts on the defense.  The secondary was torched y four guys:Chase, Boyd, Uzomah and Burrow.  How many CBs can we trade away and still expect to have decent coverage?  I know I run the risk of sounding like a pollyanna, but I'm proud of the way the team played.  Nevertheless, to come away with another L is still disappointing.  Such is life as a Jaguars fan, I suppose.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-01-2021, 09:02 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This is almost what we've been waiting for.  The team has been gradually and incrementally improving since the week one disaster in Houston.  They cut down on the stupid penalties.  They cut down on the drops-I don't recall any last night.  In fact, there were a couple of really good catches that continued drives for once.  They started running the ball more.  I've often said it takes about 5 weeks for a team with a new coach and new schemes to put it altogether.  The Jaguars looked like have put it all together in four weeks-at least in the first half.  My thoughts on the game.

1.  Sucks to hear about Chark and his fractured ankle.  Hopefully he'll be okay and will return this year.  Hopefully Cann is okay.

2.  One of the things that made me proud about this performance is how the team performed in the trenches.  In the first half the O-Line dominated in the running game, and the D-line was right there with them.  The first sack of Burrow was a thing of beauty...a clinic on pocket collapsing.  This is the kind of small ball/big boy football we've urged for a couple of weeks now.  The so called "big uglies" performed well.  Outstanding work!  The second half?  Offensively the lin play was still pretty good, though I don't like that hit TL took on the play where defensive holding negated the sack.  The problem came defensively.  What the heck happened?  We stuffed everything in the first half, and then all of a sudden we couldn't stop zone?  We need to find a way to rush the passer/

3.  I have to give credit to the coaching staff.  I thought for the most part, the play calling was superb.  I wasn't crazy about that 4th and goal call.  I supported going for it, but I wasn't thrilled with that call.  But I can see why they did it.  It had been working all first half.  But that triggered a pet peeve of mine-getting too cute inside the 5.  When Brunell threw those AFCCG end zone INTs againt New England and Tennessee, the team was getting too cute.  To give a more contemporary example, when Bevell's Seahawks were in the Super Bowl, they threw at the one instead of running beast mode.  Even though they didn't pass, TL in the shotgun?  No.  I would have preferred him under center and just pounded it in.  If you were going to pass, play action and a bootleg would have been my preferred strategy.

4.  Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, but I was actually annoyed at Myles Jack's play.  Conversely, Agnew is a candidate (top 3) for MVP of the first quarter of the season.

5.  This was a strangely officiated game.  Not necessarily egregiously officiated, but strangely officiated.  They didn't throw many flags, which helped the flow of the game immensely, but there were some head scratchers.  On the 4th and2 punt they called an illegal motion penalty on the Jaguars.  Tey seemed to assert the long snapper bobbed his head, but he never seemed to move his head.  Even the announcers wondered why they called that penalty.  The Bengals jumped offside on their own.  To be honest, there were several other times the Jaguars should have been called for that and weren't.  There was a questionable hit on Trevor Lawrence I've seen called for other QBs that wasn't called (they waived off the flag), but there was also a play where I thought the Jaguars could have been guilty of a personal foul (Norwell) on a run play that wasn't called.  That holding penalty on that second half sack was a killer.

6.     Special teams was nondescript.  Cook had a decent game.  Agnew didn't have many returns, and he fumbled one of them out of bounds.  But most notable is our kicker made all of his extra point.  At least for that game, it gave the appearance of competency in the place kicking.

7.     Rookie Watch

A.  Trevor Lawrence-had perhaps his best game as a pro.  he committed no turnovers.  He made very good decisions to throw the ball away, whether to acoid a sack or to avoid an INT.  He used his mobility to rush for some key yardage throughout the game.  If you wonder why he was taken first overall, recall his throws to Agnew down the left sideline and to Shenault on a scramble to the right for 52.  There weren't the long stretches where he made no completions and the offense completely bogged down.  He responded well when the Bengals tied the game, leading a drive to retake the lead.  This game definitely represents progress as far as his development is concerned.

C.  Tyson Campbell-Was torched deep by Jamar Chase on a key pass in the 3rd quarter that flipped the field and gave the Bengals momentum.  Once again frustrated me with his play.

D.  Walker Little-DNP

H.  Luke Farrell-had his best game.  Had some key blocks in the running game, earning praise fromt he announcers.  IIRC, he also had a catch.

8.  Speaking of TEs, our new guy, Arnold, had a nice first game, especially considering we just traded for him and it was a short week.  he showed more physical ability regarding speed/agility than any TE we've had on the roster in years.

9.  James Robinson had a heckuva game.  The more he runs, the more I'm left to wonder why the team got away from him at any point in the season.

10.  Bottom line-Offensively, the team played about as well as you could play and still lose.  There were no drops or penalties.  They controlled the LOS for most of the game.  They took care of the football, didn't beat themselves, and moved the ball throughout the game.  Defensively, they were effective in the first half, and largely invisible in the second.  We need more catalysts on the defense.  The secondary was torched y four guys:Chase, Boyd, Uzomah and Burrow.  How many CBs can we trade away and still expect to have decent coverage?  I know I run the risk of sounding like a pollyanna, but I'm proud of the way the team played.  Nevertheless, to come away with another L is still disappointing.  Such is life as a Jaguars fan, I suppose.
The bolded part here was the best part about this game. The momentum had shifted to the Bengals and then Trevor leads a TD drive while also hitting Agnew on an absolutely beautiful ball.

Still sucks to have this game go the other way but that drive was awesome.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 09:20 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

I agree there has been a lot of progress and the future is bright.  However, regarding the trenches, while the DL was good at stopping the run, there was absolutely NO Pass Rush on Burrow whatsoever.  Even when we blitz it seemed like our pass rushers would just pick a blocker and run right into him.

Why the heck is Wingard playing 25 yards off the ball?  I know we need to stop the big play but my God, we're basically like playing with 10 players on any passes of 15 yards or less.  We seriously need a Donovin Darius type player that can come up to the line but still be able to defend 10 yards off the ball - perhaps Cisco is that player.

I had to listen on the radio. Between the horrible mix causing the crowd to be louder than the commentary and the usual comedic efforts of Mumbles and the Gang it left a truly terrible impression.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The team deserves credit for the way they played in the first half.

No pass rush and Campbell getting picked on is pretty depressing.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 10:31 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

While the defense was certainly bad in the 2nd half, the offense didnt do them any favors by racking up only 101 yards, most of those coming on the TD drive. If the offense has one more drive that produces even 3 points, we probably win that game.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Had to drive home directly after the game so I didn't get to post any thoughts right away, but the number one glaring thing about this team is just lack of anything resembling a blue chip player. Not a single one. No one on either offense or defense that we can just say look we really need a play right now and this guy is the one that is going to make it.

(10-01-2021, 09:02 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This is almost what we've been waiting for.  The team has been gradually and incrementally improving since the week one disaster in Houston.  They cut down on the stupid penalties.  They cut down on the drops-I don't recall any last night.  In fact, there were a couple of really good catches that continued drives for once.  They started running the ball more.  I've often said it takes about 5 weeks for a team with a new coach and new schemes to put it altogether.  The Jaguars looked like have put it all together in four weeks-at least in the first half.  My thoughts on the game.

7.     Rookie Watch

D.  Walker Little-DNP

I completely agree with 1-3 of your observations.

4 Myles Jack looks is struggling out there. Without Poz or Telvin he  just seems lost. Move him to OLB and sit Chaisson. Put Quarterman inside with Wilson and let Russel spell them.

5 Really weird calls by the officials. Especially JRobs diving touchdown and the mystery call on Myles forhands to the face. It looked like he hit the shoulder pad

6 SYs did pretty good actually, all phases of it. Can't fault the fair catches

7 TL and Campbell the only rookies I saw play. TL played his best game. Campbell got burned again but he did have a pass break up

8 TEs looked like their best game. As in Arnold upped all of their game. Hope this is the start of a new day for that room

9 JRob is money. And then some

10 The lost of corrections needed on offense is shrinking. I too would like to see Trevor develop the QB sneak. He is young and tough. If Brady at 44 can still do it, Trevor should be able to as well. Burrow did last night just not on the goal line. Defense still needs  a lot of help.  Corners, linebackers and defensive ends

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 12:47 PM by rfc17. Edited 1 time in total.)

Said this last week and feel even more conviction now. I think this team might actually be pretty good once we hit the 2nd half of the year. We could dash a few playoff hopes if we get the opportunity. The amount of improvement from week 1 to now is pretty staggering. You can just feel the team getting more comfortable and knowing what they do well and don't do well. My only concern is that maybe we're close to peaking and the lack of elite talent will prevent us from improving much more this season. But Trevor looks better with each game so I'm expecting him to continue that and hopefully elevating the team around him. Defensively not sure help is on the way however.

Thought the offense looked really good. Didnt do a lot in the second half but didnt have many possessions. was it only 3? Loved seeing Trevor lead the team down the field for a TD after the Bengals tied it up and stole the momentum.

Defense is the obvious concern. No pass rush and the coverage isn't good. I tend to think a strong pass rush helps the secondary more than a strong secondary helps the pass rush. So I'll lay more of the blame on not being able to get pressure. One counter argument is Burrows was getting the ball out quick. Pass rush didnt get much time. If secondary was a little tighter up front, Burrows may have had to hold it for a touch longer. But to be honest not sure how many times our pass rush was just a breath away. Overall though we just dont have anyone on the defense opposing offenses need to fear and plan around. We have a lot of solid players but just aren't getting any game breaking or deciding plays. As we begin playing more tight games, we just need someone on defense to step up and be able to make those kinds of plays. And we just dont seem to have that.

I liked what I saw from Arnold. Looked quick and athletic. Hopefully we found ourselves a steal. Just not sure how his other teams couldnt find a way to utilize him. There may be some limitation in his game we are soon to discover.

I've always felt the hate for Winguard was disproportionate to his play. Yet I still allow myself to get surprised when I read one of these post game follow ups in game where his play was fine and yet you still see a shot at him. The dude is obviously not a superstar but of all the issues we had yesterday I dont think Winguard was anywhere near the top. Obvious questions why Cisco isnt getting at least some playing time. Maybe the coaches just dont think he is ready. Maybe still some questions about his knee. He still isnt that far removed from his surgery. But so far I don't know that Winguard has been a huge liability back there. Seems like he is playing better than we've ever seen him, albeit a low bar.

(10-01-2021, 12:47 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Said this last week and feel even more conviction now.  I think this team might actually be pretty good once we hit the 2nd half of the year.  We could dash a few playoff hopes if we get the opportunity.  The amount of improvement from week 1 to now is pretty staggering.  You can just feel the team getting more comfortable and knowing what they do well and don't do well.  My only concern is that maybe we're close to peaking and the lack of elite talent will prevent us from improving much more this season.  But Trevor looks better with each game so I'm expecting him to continue that and hopefully elevating the team around him.  Defensively not sure help is on the way however. 

Thought the offense looked really good.  Didnt do a lot in the second half but didnt have many possessions.  was it only 3?  Loved seeing Trevor lead the team down the field for a TD after the Bengals tied it up and stole the momentum.

Defense is the obvious concern.  No pass rush and the coverage isn't good.  I tend to think a strong pass rush helps the secondary more than a strong secondary helps the pass rush.  So I'll lay more of the blame on not being able to get pressure.  One counter argument is Burrows was getting the ball out quick.  Pass rush didnt get much time.  If secondary was a little tighter up front, Burrows may have had to hold it for a touch longer.  But to be honest not sure how many times our pass rush was just a breath away.  Overall though we just dont have anyone on the defense opposing offenses need to fear and plan around.  We have a lot of solid players but just aren't getting any game breaking or deciding plays.  As we begin playing more tight games, we just need someone on defense to step up and be able to make those kinds of plays.  And we just dont seem to have that.

I liked what I saw from Arnold.  Looked quick and athletic.  Hopefully we found ourselves a steal.  Just not sure how his other teams couldnt find a way to utilize him.  There may be some limitation in his game we are soon to discover.

I've always felt the hate for Winguard was disproportionate to his play.  Yet I still allow myself to get surprised when I read one of these post game follow ups in game where his play was fine and yet you still see a shot at him.  The dude is obviously not a superstar but of all the issues we had yesterday I dont think Winguard was anywhere near the top.  Obvious questions why Cisco isnt getting at least some playing time.  Maybe the coaches just dont think he is ready.  Maybe still some questions about his knee.  He still isnt that far removed from his surgery.  But so far I don't know that Winguard has been a huge liability back there.  Seems like he is playing better than we've ever seen him, albeit a low bar.

He looked pretty bad in the first two games and has looked OK in the past two, but the thing you have to analyze is how they are using him. 
They interchange the safeties pretty frequently, and whenever they get into a situation where Wingard has to cover the back end they have him lined up so ridiculously deep he can't do anything to prevent a conversion, he's just there to prevent a home run style TD. 

If you have a safety starting on your roster in a scheme where he'll need to be single-high at times and the only serviceable use of him in that instance is to play "prevent"  ....  well...  You have a need at free safety.

7.     Rookie Watch

D.  Walker Little-DNP

Great recap as usual Bullseye.

Regarding the parts in bold, after finally watching the game I tend to agree.  There is a part of me that thought "take the points" yet there is another part of me that figured Robinson could punch it in, or maybe a play-action bootleg kind of play if they insisted on Trevor Lawrence running it in.

The hit on Lawrence when he slid should have been a penalty (in my opinion).

The second half seemed like a "meltdown" of the defense.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I will say that the OL has played better than I expected the last couple of games. You have to give them props. No one is going to accuse them of being top 10, but they've played solidly most of the time. Wish we would utilize Robinson more. There were a couple of stretches where he looked unstoppable and we kept going away from him, especially on the RPOs. Ugh.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-01-2021, 04:57 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I will say that the OL has played better than I expected the last couple of games. You have to give them props. No one is going to accuse them of being top 10, but they've played solidly most of the time. Wish we would utilize Robinson more. There were a couple of stretches where he looked unstoppable and we kept going away from him, especially on the RPOs. Ugh.

In my opinion the RPO along with just a run-option should be used sparingly in the NFL.  This isn't college football.  You might get away with it once or twice but eventually defenses will figure it out and shut it down.  Exhibit A was last night's game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-01-2021, 05:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 04:57 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I will say that the OL has played better than I expected the last couple of games. You have to give them props. No one is going to accuse them of being top 10, but they've played solidly most of the time. Wish we would utilize Robinson more. There were a couple of stretches where he looked unstoppable and we kept going away from him, especially on the RPOs. Ugh.

In my opinion the RPO along with just a run-option should be used sparingly in the NFL.  This isn't college football.  You might get away with it once or twice but eventually defenses will figure it out and shut it down.  Exhibit A was last night's game.

That 4th down run was not read option or RPO. That was a speed option play that the defense played it well.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(10-01-2021, 05:44 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 05:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: In my opinion the RPO along with just a run-option should be used sparingly in the NFL.  This isn't college football.  You might get away with it once or twice but eventually defenses will figure it out and shut it down.  Exhibit A was last night's game.

That 4th down run was not read option or RPO. That was a speed option play that the defense played it well.

Whatever you want to call it, it's a stupid play and WILL get your QB hurt in the NFL.  It's even more stupid when you have a running back that has basically gotten yards on every touch up to that play.

It's not even that play in particular, it's the amount of times that the run-option play was used.  They need to get rid of that college [BLEEP] because it doesn't work much in the NFL.

I think I read on pff that Trevor's average time to throw was 2.29 seconds.

Between his quick release and his pocket awareness I think he's helping the line look much better than other guys have made them look in years past.

As I think most of us have long known, a great QB makes a mediocre line look good.

Great summary mate

Agree with everything said

I agree that TL is big asset to the oline. I just don't like the plays where he gets off his spots when he hits the depth of the pocket. Some of that is probably him not being use to being under center. In a rare moment of broadcaster value add, I found it interesting when Troy said it takes time to get use to handing off from under center.

Overall you can see where a few more good drafts would have helped out but we just haven't had solid drafts hence the reason we have TL.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-01-2021, 06:38 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

I think I read on pff that Trevor's average time to throw was 2.29 seconds.

Between his quick release and his pocket awareness I think he's helping the line look much better than other guys have made them look in years past.

As I think most of us have long known, a great QB makes a mediocre line look good.

That’s right.

(10-01-2021, 10:57 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:

7.     Rookie Watch

D.  Walker Little-DNP

I completely agree with 1-3 of your observations.

4 Myles Jack looks is struggling out there. Without Poz or Telvin he  just seems lost. Move him to OLB and sit Chaisson. Put Quarterman inside with Wilson and let Russel spell them.

5 Really weird calls by the officials. Especially JRobs diving touchdown and the mystery call on Myles forhands to the face. It looked like he hit the shoulder pad

6 SYs did pretty good actually, all phases of it. Can't fault the fair catches

7 TL and Campbell the only rookies I saw play. TL played his best game. Campbell got burned again but he did have a pass break up

8 TEs looked like their best game. As in Arnold upped all of their game. Hope this is the start of a new day for that room

9 JRob is money. And then some

10 The lost of corrections needed on offense is shrinking. I too would like to see Trevor develop the QB sneak. He is young and tough. If Brady at 44 can still do it, Trevor should be able to as well. Burrow did last night just not on the goal line. Defense still needs  a lot of help.  Corners, linebackers and defensive ends

Number 4 is spot on.  Myles Jack is REALLY struggling.  He's way out of position and Chaison is just as bad.  Wilson is a bright spot at ILB.