Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shaq Griffin

(11-09-2021, 04:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 27 receptions allowed on 39 targets so far this year = 69.23% completion rate

That's about 25th in the league. His cap hit next year will be top 5 in the league.  That [BLEEP] doesn't match up.

He's a good piece in a weak secondary, and we needed a guy like him, but he's not lighting the world on fire.

Until the last game, he wasn't getting much help from the pass rush.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-09-2021, 04:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 27 receptions allowed on 39 targets so far this year = 69.23% completion rate

That's about 25th in the league. His cap hit next year will be top 5 in the league. That [BLEEP] doesn't match up.

He's a good piece in a weak secondary, and we needed a guy like him, but he's not lighting the world on fire.

Outside of the anomaly that was the Ramsey-Bouye pairing. Shaq Griffin is the best CB to play for this team since Rashean Mathis went to Detroit to wind down his career. No one is saying he's an all-pro but he's a bonafide #1 CB, a premium position, that was willing to come here in free agency. I'm fine with him in his role, he'd THRIVE with even a slightly better pass rush.

Now we just need Tyson Campbell to develop or to go out and get a solid #2 guy in free agency if Campbell isn't the answer
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(11-09-2021, 05:56 PM)Firesky Wrote:

That's about 25th in the league. His cap hit next year will be top 5 in the league.  That [BLEEP] doesn't match up.

Outside of the anomaly that was the Ramsey-Bouye pairing. Shaq Griffin is the best CB to play for this team since Rashean Mathis went to Detroit to wind down his career. No one is saying he's an all-pro but he's a bonafide #1 CB, a premium position, that was willing to come here in free agency. I'm fine with him in his role, he'd THRIVE with even a slightly better pass rush.

Now we just need Tyson Campbell to develop or to go out and get a solid #2 guy in free agency if Campbell isn't the answer

Yes, he might be our fourth best corner in franchise history as you've described it. 
Yes he is a CB1 in this league.  
I am also fine with him in his role.
I'm merely pointing out that his performance and salary will be incongruent in 2022 and (2023 if he's retained beyond the team opt out opportunity) 
He's a #25 performer making top 5 money.  You always overpay in FA and we can afford it right now, but that dichotomy isn't ideal.

(11-09-2021, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 05:56 PM)Firesky Wrote: Outside of the anomaly that was the Ramsey-Bouye pairing. Shaq Griffin is the best CB to play for this team since Rashean Mathis went to Detroit to wind down his career. No one is saying he's an all-pro but he's a bonafide #1 CB, a premium position, that was willing to come here in free agency. I'm fine with him in his role, he'd THRIVE with even a slightly better pass rush.

Yes, he might be our fourth best corner in franchise history as you've described it. 
I'm merely pointing out that his performance and salary will be incongruent in 2022 and (2023 if he's retained beyond the team opt out opportunity) 
He's a #25 performer making top 5 money.  You always overpay in FA and we can afford it right now, but that dichotomy isn't ideal.

He may be number 25 statistically but he might be a lot better statistically if he had a pass rush in front of him.

And besides, who rated him number 25?  PFF?  The same people who rated Josh Allen our fourth best defender against the Bills?

(11-09-2021, 06:43 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes, he might be our fourth best corner in franchise history as you've described it. 

He may be number 25 statistically but he might be a lot better statistically if he had a pass rush in front of him.

And besides, who rated him number 25?  PFF?  The same people who rated Josh Allen our fourth best defender against the Bills?

25 is the number where his 69.2% completion rate allowed ranks him statistically among starting corners. 

I like the guy. Just pointing out he's gonna be paid like a top tier #1 corner when he is more than likely a lower tier #1 corner. 
And yes, I'm well aware of how a pass rush affects a secondary, TRM. 

Maybe he turns out to be worth every penny if our pass rush improves. Maybe he just turns out to be valuable but overpaid.
 I'm betting on the latter - but it's not really a bad thing either way. 
Most teams have a few overpaid players that they still value and find a way to afford.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 10:19 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

25th in the league at what?  The 25th best number 1 corner.  He is following the teams best WR every game.  I don't care about catches, how many yards has he gave up.  Out of those 25, some are probably the 2nd corner and nickel corners.  They are not following the other teams best WR, not really comparable.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 09:23 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

His cap hit next year might be top 5 but average per year isn't even top 10. You have to look at the average salary and guaranteed money instead of just picking out one year with how teams do contracts these days His contract was good value

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ave...ornerback/

Upper kept complaint about getting Shaq instead of William Jackson and saying Shaq wasn't good. He's much better than Jackson I'll say that, one more for the bad guys

LOL - I don't think his performance matches his paycheck and ppl act like I'm bashing the guy or something.

We're overpaying our CB1 by a few million per year, guys. It's not that big of a deal.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 12:06 PM by snowwolf776. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think griffen is highly overrated.   everytime the opposseing team  beats one of our players downfield griffen is always the one who gets burned. yet the one who has saved it from being a touchdown is wingard who no one likes. Griffen isn't that good of a player. Wingard has saved serveal touchdowns thoughout the serveal games we had.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

The other thing about Griffin is he’s a great character guy and really has the right attitude on how to make a team better. He does not get down after the losses, but he’s also critical and pushes the team to be better. We need a veteran leader like this. I’m OK with paying a little extra to have a guy like that in the locker room.

Completion rate can be overrated. How many yards is he giving up, how many touchdowns, how many receptions per game. Those things are just as poor if not more important than competition percentage.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Legitimately a #1 corner, an incredible team leader, and he’s young. You guys are overthinking this.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2021, 08:48 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-09-2021, 10:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL -  I don't think his performance matches his paycheck and ppl act like I'm bashing the guy or something.

We're overpaying our CB1 by a few million per year, guys. It's not that big of a deal.

Sure, but the only thing you're citing is his completion percentage, which you admit is greatly affected by factors that are out of his control, most notably, lack of a pass rush.  He may or may not be overpaid, but I would think that if you want to make that point, you'd have something more solid to back it up.

(11-10-2021, 08:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 10:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL -  I don't think his performance matches his paycheck and ppl act like I'm bashing the guy or something.

Sure, but the only thing you're citing is his completion percentage, which you admit is greatly affected by factors that are out of his control, most notably, lack of a pass rush.  He may or may not be overpaid, but I would think that if you want to make that point, you'd have something more solid to back it up.
Hes the 12th highest paid corner. A good value signing

(11-10-2021, 08:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Completion % is a perfectly viable stat to make my point, but I'm also factoring in having watched him play all year. He simply gets beat too often to make 16 mil a year for my taste. 

Again, i like the guy, and it wasn't even a bad signing by any means, i just don't like his cap hit. 

This is a common issue. Every team has overpaid players not performing up to their salary. 
You think he's earning it and that's fine. I think he's good but not 16 mil good. 

Hopefully we see pass rush win more regularly moving forward and Griffin makes me eat my words, but i'm confident in my current take for now.

(11-10-2021, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 08:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sure, but the only thing you're citing is his completion percentage, which you admit is greatly affected by factors that are out of his control, most notably, lack of a pass rush.  He may or may not be overpaid, but I would think that if you want to make that point, you'd have something more solid to back it up.

Completion % is a perfectly viable stat to make my point, but I'm also factoring in having watched him play all year. He simply gets beat too often to make 16 mil a year for my taste. 

Again, i like the guy, and it wasn't even a bad signing by any means, i just don't like his cap hit. 

This is a common issue. Every team has overpaid players not performing up to their salary. 
You think he's earning it and that's fine. I think he's good but not 16 mil good. 

Hopefully we see pass rush win more regularly moving forward and Griffin makes me eat my words, but i'm confident in my current take for now.

The issue with signing those kinds of guys in free agency is that everybody overpays. The question with him, IMO, is could we have gotten similar play for less money from a different guy? I think back to deals like the Hugh Douglas or Bryce Paup signings and that answer is an easy yes, but with Griffin I'm not so sure. I think we paid a fair rate for a guy who's earning his money in a premier position. Would I want more? Of course. Are we getting great value? No. Could we have done better though? Probably not.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-10-2021, 02:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Completion % is a perfectly viable stat to make my point, but I'm also factoring in having watched him play all year. He simply gets beat too often to make 16 mil a year for my taste. 

The issue with signing those kinds of guys in free agency is that everybody overpays. The question with him, IMO, is could we have gotten similar play for less money from a different guy? I think back to deals like the Hugh Douglas or Bryce Paup signings and that answer is an easy yes, but with Griffin I'm not so sure. I think we paid a fair rate for a guy who's earning his money in a premier position. Would I want more? Of course. Are we getting great value? No. Could we have done better though? Probably not.

That's where I am at I guess. 

Dude is overrated by some people here but he is not bad either.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Nah you're right . People on here just love to argue. Especially over semantics.

You overpay in FA 90% of the time.
That's what makes the Campbell pick even more of a miss imo.

Need to dip back in to DB FAs or high pick rookie again next off season

(11-10-2021, 02:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 01:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Completion % is a perfectly viable stat to make my point, but I'm also factoring in having watched him play all year. He simply gets beat too often to make 16 mil a year for my taste. 

Sounds similar to how I feel. He's clearly not an elite player or anything, but he came to play for a bad team with questionable coaching and is giving maximum effort and setting a good example for others. There have been much worse free agent signings by this team.

Don't forget, we are Jacksonville. With our past records, over paying is one of the main ways for us to get people to come here.
In Dougie I Trust!