Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A quarter in to the season, how would you list our top 5 needs?

(10-01-2021, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Those guys are few and far between. Not every draft is gonna have even 1 of those type of players and once they are found, they rarely hit free agency. The Aaron Donald, Chris Jones types of players which have size to hold up against the run and consistently get to the passer are like unicorns in the NFL.

As indicated in my post

I know. I'm just saying don't count on one becoming available anytime soon.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1) Pass rusher. Allen is still on his rookie deal, we need someone to draw blocking away from him or to take advantage of the lesser attention. Chiasson sure as heck isn't. I don't care if it's an OLB or an End, just someone else to contribute.
2) #1 receiver. Who in our routes can either overpower coverage or draw enough coverage to let someone else sneak open? nobody. Just look at Joey B and Chase - even if Chase wasn't getting the targets, our attention to him let guys like Boyd flourish.
3) ILB. Wilson is ok, but I want the middle of the field not to be a liability.
4) RG/RT. I dunno what Taylor would do if moved inside, or if Bartch is ready to be the full-time solution inside.
5) LT. I still don't know what to read on Little. Is he not playing because Cam or Taylor are still better? Are his shortcomings going to magnify once we have to rely on him? If I can find a stalwart that becomes the fixture on that line, it's too important to pass up that opportunity.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 11:31 AM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

WR Trevor needs help
TE same as above
OL same and also some guys are gonna be FA's
CB Campbell sucks, Herndon sucks
ILB both Jack and Wilson suck! freaking put Quarterman in already! can't be worse than those 2
Pass rusher Not giving up on Allen yet but he has to improve, Chaisson has been disappointing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

No particular order.

Pass Rusher - we just don’t put another pressure on the QBs and that has the knock on effect on the secondary.

True #1 WR - I like Marvin and Laviska but a threat like Chase is what we really need to stretch the field.

ILB - We look wobbly here, even Jack looks lacking this year. Our tackling looks horrible.

Oline - With so many UFA I think this is a big need and a reshuffle is needed. I think we may end up looking like this;

(LT) Little - Bartch- Linder - Taylor - *Hole* (RT)

Little is a big unknown and LT may be the biggest need of all. Taylor needs to be moved inside. RT is the current hole for next year. Maybe Little goes to RT.

CB - we just need better coverage corner backs. Campbell may develop and Griffin is good but depth sucks and realistically I don’t think they are good enough to cover those true #1 WR on other teams. Griffin did do well against Hopkins I might add.

….

I think Safety will be fine, I want to see more of Cisco but I don’t think this is the biggest of needs.

TE may be solved if Arnold can show more of what he did against Cincy.

(10-01-2021, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1.  OLB/ edge
2. OLB/edge
3.  WR
4. CB
5. RG

Wild card:. LT

I like our safety position, I like the dline, we need pass rushers.  We also need a true number 1 WR.  I was a fan of Trevon Diggs coming out but last year he was horrible, hopefully Campbell can  start improving through out the year like Diggs did.  Diggs is looking like arguably the best corner in the game right now.  Hopefully Little will be ready next year also.  I'm confident in Quarteman as I think he can replace Jack.  A lot of needs right now but we need pass rush to help this defense and we need a true number 1 WR to help Trev are the biggest needs for this team imo.  Etienne will be a huge plus for our offense next year as well

Look at the needs.  Jax had the draft capital and blew it.  The real only need is a new organizational structure. The guys they draft are garbage.  CJ is the perfect example.  They gave up a 9th pick for a TE in one year = negative ROI
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(10-01-2021, 11:15 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1.  OLB/ edge
2. OLB/edge
3.  WR
4. CB
5. RG

Wild card:. LT

I like our safety position, I like the dline, we need pass rushers.  We also need a true number 1 WR.  I was a fan of Trevon Diggs coming out but last year he was horrible, hopefully Campbell can  start improving through out the year like Diggs did.  Diggs is looking like arguably the best corner in the game right now.  Hopefully Little will be ready next year also.  I'm confident in Quarteman as I think he can replace Jack.  A lot of needs right now but we need pass rush to help this defense and we need a true number 1 WR to help Trev are the biggest needs for this team imo.  Etienne will be a huge plus for our offense next year as well

Look at the needs.  Jax had the draft capital and blew it.  The real only need is a new organizational structure. The guys they draft are garbage.  CJ is the perfect example.  They gave up a 9th pick for a TE in one year = negative ROI

CJ is an invalid example since the team took your advice and changed their organizational structure after he was drafted. 

(Waiting on your response in the division forum BTW. Your claim that there wasn't an NFL defense that could stop the tacks 10 personnel grouping seems to have failed back in week one)

Any playmaker on defense. I have as much confidence on a defensive turnover as I do with Lambo making a kick.

1. Pass rusher- Thibodeaux would look great in Teal.

2. Cornerback- Addressing the pass rush will help, but Campbell is a major liability. Hopefully he will improve his ball skills.

3. Left tackle- Robinson is improved this year, but I'm afraid he'd revert back to old ways once he signs a big contract.

4. Wide receiver- If Chark is forced to settle for a 1 year deal due to injury, this position should be o.k. Would still love to see Godwin come to Jacksonville.

I believe it will take TWO successful off-seasons for this team to be a serious contender in the AFC. Those responsible for the 2022 and 2023 off-seasons (Meyer/Baalke/Scouting Dept.) MUST do much better or Lawrence's immense talents will fail to produce a Super Bowl winner. Despite the importance of having a great quarterback in the NFL, football is still a team game.

1 - OL - Protecting Trevor Lawrence should be priority #1
2 - Pass Rusher
3 - Linebacker
4 - Cornerback
5 - Tight End
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Little is the LT of the future. Don't see them re-signing Cam Robinson. Norwell will also be let go in FA, replaced by Ben Bartch. Linder has 1 year left on his contract and Jawaan Taylor has improved to "mediocre' so we'll still need to find at least one more starting O-linement in either FA or the draft. Guards can found in the later rounds. I could see the Jags using some mid-round picks to address the O-line, but the top priority has to be addressing pass rush and CB.

Coaching experience as a team is our only need at this point. We have the personnel to progress.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I'd like to flip the question. Out of our entire roster, who do you all honestly think are starting caliber players on a playoff/SB hopeful team? Out of 22 starters I think we have less than 10 that could reasonably expect to start on a contender. We have a loooong way to go.

(10-02-2021, 09:43 AM)Upper Wrote: I'd like to flip the question. Out of our entire roster, who do you all honestly think are starting caliber players on a playoff/SB hopeful team? Out of 22 starters I think we have less than 10 that could reasonably expect to start on a contender. We have a loooong way to go.

Essentially what I was going to say. At this point need is irrelevant, this team has need at every position except QB. The good news is we have the hardest piece to find already. The bad news is the people in charge are likely going to continue to think about things in terms of needs rather than in terms of ability of the players available to them.

The Jaguars are a prime example of how needs based drafting destroys competitiveness.

(10-02-2021, 09:51 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 09:43 AM)Upper Wrote: I'd like to flip the question. Out of our entire roster, who do you all honestly think are starting caliber players on a playoff/SB hopeful team? Out of 22 starters I think we have less than 10 that could reasonably expect to start on a contender. We have a loooong way to go.

Essentially what I was going to say. At this point need is irrelevant, this team has need at every position except QB. The good news is we have the hardest piece to find already. The bad news is the people in charge are likely going to continue to think about things in terms of needs rather than in terms of ability of the players available to them.

The Jaguars are a prime example of how needs based drafting destroys competitiveness.

Yep, literally the only positions I'm not pushing to upgrade hard are QB, RB, IDL, and FS...and I'm not even that sure FS is set but I'll give Cisco a shot.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 10:25 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-01-2021, 02:39 PM)Firesky Wrote: 1 - OL - Protecting Trevor Lawrence should be priority #1
2 - Pass Rusher
3 - Linebacker
4 - Cornerback
5 - Tight End

I pretty much agree with this, especially #1. 

We definitely need better pass rushing but our defense will continue to be on the field for inordinate amounts of time if they don't get the secondary fixed. Opposing team's ability to keep stretching the field is taking half of our team out of the game by halftime because of exhaustion. Cincinnati was a refreshing change, but only for the first half. We got torched in 2nd. I love Wingard's work ethic and hustle, but he simply lacks the instinct. Campbell plays the WR, not the ball. He simply views his job as being a tackler and not a pass defender. He. Won't. Turn. His. Head.

We need a better defensive on field play caller. In that regards, getting rid of Schoebert was a mistake and goes hand in glove in with a weak secondary for opposing teams to take advantage of our linebackers who seemingly have to pull extra double duty.  We need a premium Mike, that's all there is to it. 

Dan Arnold looks promising for TE. I wish he were a little more stout. Not only for enhanced blocking ability, but also for injury prevention. TEs have a tough life on the field. However, his good hands and ranginess will benefit Lawrence more and more as the season wears on.

Oh, yeah, a better QB. Lawrence is a bust, according to some.  Rolleyes

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 10:50 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 5 times in total.)

(10-02-2021, 09:51 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Last year's draft was far from needs based drafting .  They took a RB with the 2nd pick when a RB is our best player, took a CB next when we just signed a number 1 corner and at the time just drafted a CB in the top 10.  Then took a LT when we just tagged a LT.  Far from needs based drafting, were they the right picks remain to be seen.  They have even said multiple times they weren't drafting for need and the positions they took weren't based on need.  They weren't my top guys in the board but it looked like it was there's instead of drafting for position.  They also just signed Hyde so I highly doubt RB was their top positional need after QB

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 11:01 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

But yes, 90 to 95 % of the time you should draft BPA. Dave is the perfect example of a needs based drafter. Especially 2 years ago when he took a corner and edge guy just because we lost Yawn and Ramsey

QB and RB are the only 2 positions I might look over if they were the top player on my board because it's unlikely they would get playing time. Any other position I would take if they were the top guy on the board

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 11:06 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Give me an O-line that can run and pass block in the top 10 in the league.
A TE that can can catch, run, and block.
One speedy receiver that can stretch the field and catch
Get a middle tier D, say 20th in run and 15 in pass.
Robinson and TLaw can do the rest.

I know that's not the original question, but I think we can consistently get to the playoffs in the near future with this setup.

(10-02-2021, 09:57 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 09:51 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Essentially what I was going to say. At this point need is irrelevant, this team has need at every position except QB. The good news is we have the hardest piece to find already. The bad news is the people in charge are likely going to continue to think about things in terms of needs rather than in terms of ability of the players available to them.

Yep, literally the only positions I'm not pushing to upgrade hard are QB, RB, IDL, and FS...and I'm not even that sure FS is set but I'll give Cisco a shot.

QB is the only position the team should hesitate to draft high, and if they're staring another big Ben situation in the face they need to take him and force the Steelers (or whoever) to trade for him. Time for the Jaguars to stop being a team that lets value go. Teams need to understand when the Jaguars say they take value and if you want a valuable QB you have to trade up with them or they take him and store him away for now.

Running back had better be a damn hall of fame level back to take them in the first round, though. Time to stop throwing away value for imagined need.

(10-02-2021, 11:42 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 09:57 AM)Upper Wrote: Yep, literally the only positions I'm not pushing to upgrade hard are QB, RB, IDL, and FS...and I'm not even that sure FS is set but I'll give Cisco a shot.

QB is the only position the team should hesitate to draft high, and if they're staring another big Ben situation in the face they need to take him and force the Steelers (or whoever) to trade for him. Time for the Jaguars to stop being a team that lets value go. Teams need to understand when the Jaguars say they take value and if you want a valuable QB you have to trade up with them or they take him and store him away for now.

Running back had better be a damn hall of fame level back to take them in the first round, though. Time to stop throwing away value for imagined need.

Hold up now.  Etienne was an elite RB prospect.  What if he was the top player on their board even though we already had JRob?  There are like 2 or 3 players I would of took over Etienne but I liked the pick. He was far from a needs pick but was clearly their top guy and he wouldn't of been there at pick 33