Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A quarter in to the season, how would you list our top 5 needs?

(10-02-2021, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 11:42 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: QB is the only position the team should hesitate to draft high, and if they're staring another big Ben situation in the face they need to take him and force the Steelers (or whoever) to trade for him. Time for the Jaguars to stop being a team that lets value go. Teams need to understand when the Jaguars say they take value and if you want a valuable QB you have to trade up with them or they take him and store him away for now.

Running back had better be a damn hall of fame level back to take them in the first round, though. Time to stop throwing away value for imagined need.

Hold up now.  Etienne was an elite RB prospect.  What if he was the top player on their board even though we already had JRob?  There are like 2 or 3 players I would of took over Etienne but I liked the pick. He was far from a needs pick but was clearly their top guy and he wouldn't of been there at pick 33

If he was that high then their board was stupid.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-02-2021, 11:42 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: QB is the only position the team should hesitate to draft high, and if they're staring another big Ben situation in the face they need to take him and force the Steelers (or whoever) to trade for him. Time for the Jaguars to stop being a team that lets value go. Teams need to understand when the Jaguars say they take value and if you want a valuable QB you have to trade up with them or they take him and store him away for now.

Running back had better be a damn hall of fame level back to take them in the first round, though. Time to stop throwing away value for imagined need.

Hold up now.  Etienne was an elite RB prospect.  What if he was the top player on their board even though we already had JRob?  There are like 2 or 3 players I would of took over Etienne but I liked the pick. He was far from a needs pick but was clearly their top guy and he wouldn't of been there at pick 33
He very well could have been there at 33.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 01:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-02-2021, 01:35 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hold up now.  Etienne was an elite RB prospect.  What if he was the top player on their board even though we already had JRob?  There are like 2 or 3 players I would of took over Etienne but I liked the pick. He was far from a needs pick but was clearly their top guy and he wouldn't of been there at pick 33
He very well could have been there at 33.

He always could of been gone.  Highly likely the Bills would of taken him and the addition of Etienne would of put that offense over the top.  If he's your top guy you take him

(10-02-2021, 01:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hold up now.  Etienne was an elite RB prospect.  What if he was the top player on their board even though we already had JRob?  There are like 2 or 3 players I would of took over Etienne but I liked the pick. He was far from a needs pick but was clearly their top guy and he wouldn't of been there at pick 33

If he was that high then their board was stupid.
Not stupid at all, would much rather Etienne than some of the oline players some on this board wanted because they felt we needed to add to the oline.  Etienne is an elite back, there were no elite olineman available

Pass rush, from anyone
Create favorable mismatches by formation
Better short yardage plays/play-calling
Utilize the TE
More consistent K

I didn't see Etienne as elite, at all. I'm not sure I even saw him as the #2 overall RB from a production standpoint. In fact, I didn't see much difference between Etienne and Kenneth Gainwell, who was taken in round 5. Gainwell ran a 4.42/40, Etienne ran a 4.31/40 both were extremely fast. Etienne had 914 yards rushing and 588 yards receiving in 12 games his last year with Clemson and Kenneth Gainwell had 1459 rushing yards and 610 rushing yards in 14 games, his final year in college before opting out of the 2020 season. Both were extremely productive in college. 

I am a huge believer in NEVER drafting a RB in round 1. Especially when there is almost equal value later in the draft. IMO, Gainwell was equal value and we could've had him much later. We had issues at many, many positions on this team and we could've taken a truly elite player at #25 and gotten equal value at RB with our 5th round pick. What we did, was not very intelligent.

(10-02-2021, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I didn't see Etienne as elite, at all. I'm not sure I even saw him as the #2 overall RB from a production standpoint. In fact, I didn't see much difference between Etienne and Kenneth Gainwell, who was taken in round 5. Gainwell ran a 4.42/40, Etienne ran a 4.31/40 both were extremely fast. Etienne had 914 yards rushing and 588 yards receiving in 12 games his last year with Clemson and Kenneth Gainwell had 1459 rushing yards and 610 rushing yards in 14 games, his final year in college before opting out of the 2020 season. Both were extremely productive in college. 

I am a huge believer in NEVER drafting a RB in round 1. Especially when there is almost equal value later in the draft. IMO, Gainwell was equal value and we could've had him much later. We had issues at many, many positions on this team and we could've taken a truly elite player at #25 and gotten equal value at RB with our 5th round pick. What we did, was not very intelligent.

Well you have never been good at evaluating RBs.  You didn't think Barkley was good and you didn't think McCaffrey was good because he is white.  Etienne is an elite back and if he can get 100% he will prove it.  I like Gainwell but he isn't close to the back Etienne

(10-02-2021, 03:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I didn't see Etienne as elite, at all. I'm not sure I even saw him as the #2 overall RB from a production standpoint. In fact, I didn't see much difference between Etienne and Kenneth Gainwell, who was taken in round 5. Gainwell ran a 4.42/40, Etienne ran a 4.31/40 both were extremely fast. Etienne had 914 yards rushing and 588 yards receiving in 12 games his last year with Clemson and Kenneth Gainwell had 1459 rushing yards and 610 rushing yards in 14 games, his final year in college before opting out of the 2020 season. Both were extremely productive in college. 

Well you have never been good at evaluating RBs.  You didn't think Barkley was good and you didn't think McCaffrey was good because he is white.  Etienne is an elite back and if he can get 100% he will prove it.  I like Gainwell but he isn't close to the back Etienne

Difference of opinion. I believe they are extremely similar. A RB is only as good as his offensive line is, at run blocking. That is why you NEVER take one in round 1.

James Robinson is a better back than ETN. The most important difference was acquisition cost and ETN will never play good enough to close that gap. And frankly every first round back could be replaced with a later round back with minimal dropoff, because even the greatest backs don't succeed on their own.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-02-2021, 03:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 03:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Well you have never been good at evaluating RBs.  You didn't think Barkley was good and you didn't think McCaffrey was good because he is white.  Etienne is an elite back and if he can get 100% he will prove it.  I like Gainwell but he isn't close to the back Etienne

Difference of opinion. I believe they are extremely similar. A RB is only as good as his offensive line is, at run blocking. That is why you NEVER take one in round 1.

Some teams missed.  Kamara, Cook, Hunt, McCaffrey, Henry etc. aren't worth 1st round picks to you?

1.  Edge / OLB - We just have to get more pressure on the opposing quarterback.
2.  CB - Campbell just completely gets abused.  I still don't understand why we traded away two better cornerbacks for peanuts.
3.  OL - Give Trevor more time to throw and he will make more plays.
4.  WR - Trevor has shown he can make the big throw.  We could use a top of the line wide receiver to maximize the benefit of Trevor's abilities.
5.  TE - We need one who can both block and also be a good reliable safety valve for Trevor.

I would put GM and head coach as #1 and #2, but I felt the spirit of this conversation was players, not front office.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 04:00 PM by TheDuke007. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-01-2021, 10:11 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 1. Coach(es)
2. GM
3. Offense
4. Defense
5. Kicker

Not a big fan of UM but going to give him the season…GM however is another matter. Why would this organization with it’s past drafts hire internally???

Baalke being with the Jaguars for one year (particularly when he wasn't the top person in charge) bothers me less than his record as GM with San Francisco.  The team's records went as follows:

Year 1:  13-3
Year 2:  11-4-1
Year 3:  12-4
Year 4:  8-8
Year 5:  5-11
Year 6:  2-14

Is it hard to see the trend?  The longer he was there, the worst the team got.  One of the reasons I didn't want us to hire Urban Meyer was because no good GM would want the job with Meyer clearly having control.  I wanted the team to go hire the absolute best GM candidate and then let him pick his coach.  This team had a lot of resources this off-season and was primed to make major improvements this year.  With the exception of Lawrence who was a no-brainer, Meyer/Baalke have largely squandered it.

(10-02-2021, 03:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: James Robinson is a better back than ETN. The most important difference was acquisition cost and ETN will never play good enough to close that gap. And frankly every first round back could be replaced with a later round back with minimal dropoff, because even the greatest backs don't succeed on their own.

Agreed.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 05:30 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-02-2021, 03:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 03:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Difference of opinion. I believe they are extremely similar. A RB is only as good as his offensive line is, at run blocking. That is why you NEVER take one in round 1.

Some teams missed.  Kamara, Cook, Hunt, McCaffrey, Henry etc. aren't worth 1st round picks to you?

No! I would NEVER draft a RB in round 1. A RB is only as good as their O-Line is at run blocking. My opinion on this will NEVER change. Put these guys behind an O-Line of poor run blockers and they wouldn't be the stars that they are. If you have an O-Line of good run blockers, you can find a RB in the mid to late rounds of the draft, even undrafted RB's and make them look good. 

I wouldn't even take Hunt if he was on waivers, because he beats women, but that's a whole different issue.

(10-02-2021, 03:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:11 AM)wg171 Wrote: Not a big fan of UM but going to give him the season…GM however is another matter. Why would this organization with it’s past drafts hire internally???

Baalke being with the Jaguars for one year (particularly when he wasn't the top person in charge) bothers me less than his record as GM with San Francisco.  The team's records went as follows:

Is it hard to see the trend?  The longer he was there, the worst the team got.  One of the reasons I didn't want us to hire Urban Meyer was because no good GM would want the job with Meyer clearly having control.  I wanted the team to go hire the absolute best GM candidate and then let him pick his coach.  This team had a lot of resources this off-season and was primed to make major improvements this year.  With the exception of Lawrence who was a no-brainer, Meyer/Baalke have largely squandered it.

Agree 1000%.

(10-02-2021, 03:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 03:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Difference of opinion. I believe they are extremely similar. A RB is only as good as his offensive line is, at run blocking. That is why you NEVER take one in round 1.

Using 4 out of 5 RBs taken in round 2 or later to help bolster your argument hahahaha

Ordinarily I would find this to be a productive discussion.

However, none of this really matters.

If the team correctly identifies the tem needs, and even if they hit on the players involved, they will only trade them away or otherwise let them walk. They will only stick on the team if they are slightly above average at best.

But to answer the question...biggest needs:

1. Edge Rusher/OLB to go opposite Allen
2. CB-a solid cover CB
3. Speed and ability at WR
4. ILB
5. Interiorr OL-

OL is not higher because I think the team will go with Little and Taylor at the T positions. I could see several picks in the mid rounds going to OL though. I could see the top two positions being switched depending on draft position. If we are in the top 5, I could easily see use go Stingley out of LSU at CB pver an edge rusher.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 08:29 PM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-02-2021, 03:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 10:11 AM)wg171 Wrote: Not a big fan of UM but going to give him the season…GM however is another matter. Why would this organization with it’s past drafts hire internally???

I’ve never cared for any HC having total control. GM should be hired first and allowed to bring in his guy. GM should have final say on personnel decisions although the HC should have input.

I don’t want anyone associated with this teams past drafts around. Yes, DC should have been fired much sooner.

It looks like we're going to need a head coach after this Urban stuff leaking tonight.

(10-02-2021, 08:25 PM)Upper Wrote: It looks like we're going to need a head coach after this Urban stuff leaking tonight.

???

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-02-2021, 08:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 08:25 PM)Upper Wrote: It looks like we're going to need a head coach after this Urban stuff leaking tonight.

???

https://twitter.com/barstoolu/status/144...82338?s=21