Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fun Fact about Blake

Quote:On another forum guy said Bill Simmons podcast said Bortle's has only 3 career 1st quarter td's that was his argument for him being a garbage time qb not sure about that.

Another pointlessly stupid stat that says more about how crappy the coaching and game planning is than Bortles.

I'm 2015 his TDs by quarter were 2, 10, 9, 14. The team has continually started slow during Gus' tenure thanks to stupidity like "wanting to establish the run."

Blake and the teams biggest problems have been due to talent around him and losing coaching, not Blake himself.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Blake wipes standing up

Quote:Man, sometimes this forum can be something else
Agreed.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Another pointlessly stupid stat that says more about how crappy the coaching and game planning is than Bortles.

I'm 2015 his TDs by quarter were 2, 10, 9, 14. The team has continually started slow during Gus' tenure thanks to stupidity like "wanting to establish the run."

Blake and the teams biggest problems have been due to talent around him and losing coaching, not Blake himself.
Not at all trying to be a jerk, but you realize the point of trying to establish the run is to make the passing game easier for Blake? If the LB's have to respect the run, the slant opens up. If the safety has to come down, the vertical passing game opens up. Our offensive skill players are still relatively young. As they grow, the roles will reverse a bit, or at least be more unpredictable.

Conversely, as we execute more on defense, turnovers will become more prevalent because they will know their assignment and correctly take advantage of mistakes. If the pass rush comes alive, lookout!

Quote:Not at all trying to be a jerk, but you realize the point of trying to establish the run is to make the passing game easier for Blake? If the LB's have to respect the run, the slant opens up. If the safety has to come down, the vertical passing game opens up. Our offensive skill players are still relatively young. As they grow, the roles will reverse a bit, or at least be more unpredictable.

Conversely, as we execute more on defense, turnovers will become more prevalent because they will know their assignment and correctly take advantage of mistakes. If the pass rush comes alive, lookout!

I know what the justification is for doing it. I also know the result in 2015 was a lot of three and outs to show for it and a lot of first quarter deficits.

The great teams in the NFL usually come out throwing to get some scores then worry about running later in the game when they're looking to run out clock. Very few successful teams are doing it in the NFL today by having their qb hand it off on first and second down to start every drive.

Quote:I know what the justification is for doing it. I also know the result in 2015 was a lot of three and outs to show for it and a lot of first quarter deficits.

The great teams in the NFL usually come out throwing to get some scores then worry about running later in the game when they're looking to run out clock. Very few successful teams are doing it in the NFL today by having their qb hand it off on first and second down to start every drive.

The offense also featured a bevy of 2nd year starters. Gotta crawl before you walk. I think this year we have a chance to be top 10 on offense. Next year? Top 5, bit these things have to develop

Quote:The offense also featured a bevy of 2nd year starters. Gotta crawl before you walk. I think this year we have a chance to be top 10 on offense. Next year? Top 5, bit these things have to develop

Inexperience is not an excuse for doing the same damn thing over and over again to no avail.

The offense isn't in its first year learning the offensive playbook yet HB1 touts less than 2 ypc.

Quote:The offense isn't in its first year learning the offensive playbook yet HB1 touts less than 2 ypc.
Ivory was ruled out mere hours before kick-off. 

Not exactly tons of time to adjust game-plan on the ground. I'd look for Yeldon to have a much better day today when the run-game is tailored to him more after a week of prep. 

Quote:Ivory was ruled out mere hours before kick-off.

Not exactly tons of time to adjust game-plan on the ground. I'd look for Yeldon to have a much better day today when the run-game is tailored to him more after a week of prep.

This is true. Yeldon should look better today. I'm worried about the player they put in during Yeldon'S breathers though.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Ivory was ruled out mere hours before kick-off.

So?

Yeldon was picked in the second round for good reason. If he can't carry a full work load then that second rounder seems like a total waste. It's not like he is the focus of the offense and everything is on his shoulders.

Quote:So?

Yeldon was picked in the second round for good reason. If he can't carry a full work load then that second rounder seems like a total waste. It's not like he is the focus of the offense and everything is on his shoulders.

Yeldon was always a questionable pick in the second round. Not only is he not a special talent from any standpoint he was also a fumbler in college. He's not been too bad fumbling in the NFL, but put together with everything else the team needed and his draft position it makes his selection even more suspect.

Quote:So?

You do realize they spend a week formulating a game plan specific to each match-up and all week that plan included Ivory and his skill-set, right? 

There's just a little bit more going on than just drafting a talented player and throwing him on the field. 

But I'm sure Greg Olson has no clue what he's talking about when he says tailoring the run game to Yeldon this week will help. 

if Gratz gets burned all day and Gates is uncovered like last year then he'll probably have another 300 yard day with a loss.

Correlation doesn't imply causation. 

We don't lose because Bortles throws for 300 yards.  I mean look at last week.  Bortles threw 300 yards, and it was a close game. It was close because of his arm.  Our defense needs to get the stops it needs in order for us to start winning those games.  Not Bortles throwing for fewer yards. 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:You do realize they spend a week formulating a game plan specific to each match-up and all week that plan included Ivory and his skill-set, right?

There's just a little bit more going on than just drafting a talented player and throwing him on the field.

But I'm sure Greg Olson has no clue what he's talking about when he says tailoring the run game to Yeldon this week will help.

Ill be genuinely surprised if Yeldon cracks 4 YPC under this tailor made offense. I'll revisit this thread and I'll see how much ONE week of preparation helps TJ out.

Quote:Ill be genuinely surprised if Yeldon cracks 4 YPC under this tailor made offense. I'll revisit this thread and I'll see how much ONE week of preparation helps TJ out.
I'd guess about 4.5 per carry and 35 yards receiving. 

Quote:You do realize they spend a week formulating a game plan specific to each match-up and all week that plan included Ivory and his skill-set, right? 

There's just a little bit more going on than just drafting a talented player and throwing him on the field. 

Shouldn't he be prepared for all possible scenarios?  I mean let's say Ivory played last week.. then went down to injury.  Would we then not be ready to change the gameplan to tailor it more to Yeldon?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Shouldn't he be prepared for all possible scenarios?  I mean let's say Ivory played last week.. then went down to injury.  Would we then not be ready to change the gameplan to tailor it more to Yeldon?
I'm not talking about Yeldon being prepared.  I'm talking about the game-planning by the offense for the run. 

They can alter things to some extent sure, but when they've got x number of plays designed for Ivory's skill set and x number of plays designed for Yeldon  - then suddenly  half of those plays  are just taken off the table,  it's not the simplest of fixes.  

In an ideal world, they have a guy to plug in and take Ivory's role, but they don't.  Yeldon just isn't going to be as successful running the Ivory play designs as Ivory is. They are two different style backs. 

Quote:I'm not talking about Yeldon being prepared.  I'm talking about the game-planning by the offense for the run. 

They can alter things to some extent sure, but when they've got x number of plays designed for Ivory's skill set and x number of plays designed for Yeldon  - then suddenly  half of those plays  are just taken off the table,  it's not the simplest of fixes.  

In an ideal world, they have a guy to plug in and take Ivory's role, but they don't.  Yeldon just isn't going to be as successful running the Ivory play designs as Ivory is. They are two different style backs. 

Should have gotten a bruiser for the backup instead of sticking with 'Nard-dog.

Quote:Should have gotten a bruiser for the backup instead of sticking with 'Nard-dog.

I can't disagree with that notion.  Though I actually think Denard has a chance to be a decent spell-back vs S.D.'s defense, on the whole he's not the ideal #3 back. 

He requires his own brand of "specialized playbook" and nobody's got time for that for the #3.  I think Grey was gonna be that guy till he got banged up.