Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All-time most influential musical artists/groups

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 12:42 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

Not sure if this type of discussion has been done before in this forum, but was discussing this recently with family and friends, and it sounded like a potentially interesting topic.  Since most of us alive were probably born after 1950, i figure that's as good a cutoff as any, tho if you wish to reach back further into the big band era, then please feel free.  All musical genres welcome.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Louis Armstrong influenced the formula of American Popular Song to a degree that few people realize. What has become so widely popular as a song formatted for radio play -  is a direct result of his recordings as he evolved with the recording techniques and song distribution methods of his time.

A standard 3 minute tune with and intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, ending  type of structure is a result of his influence and success.

Personally, I'm a musician by trade so my influences are vast and ever evolving, but the common denominator is always an artist's ability to make the listener feel something. Does the work illicit an emotional response of any kind?  If it does, I'm into it. 

Miles Davis really got me hooked on this concept when I was nineteen years old and I've found innumerable artists in the decades since that have inspired me for similar reason  - across a spectrum of musical styles/genres.  

from Marley to Zep to Radiohead to Marvin Gaye to scores of modern artists in styles ranging from underground hip-hop to free jazz and everything in between. 

There's a ton of good music out there and even more of the other kind.

(10-01-2021, 01:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Louis Armstrong influenced the formula of American Popular Song to a degree that few people realize. What has become so widely popular as a song formatted for radio play -  is a direct result of his recordings as he evolved with the recording techniques and song distribution methods of his time.

A standard 3 minute tune with and intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, ending  type of structure is a result of his influence and success.

Personally, I'm a musician by trade so my influences are vast and ever evolving, but the common denominator is always an artist's ability to make the listener feel something. Does the work illicit an emotional response of any kind?  If it does, I'm into it. 

Miles Davis really got me hooked on this concept when I was nineteen years old and I've found innumerable artists in the decades since that have inspired me for similar reason  - across a spectrum of musical styles/genres.  

from Marley to Zep to Radiohead to Marvin Gaye to scores of modern artists in styles ranging from underground hip-hop to free jazz and everything in between. 

Just curious.  What instrument(s) do you play and what genre?

I can personally listen to almost any genre of music and have quite a variety in my collection.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-01-2021, 02:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 01:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Louis Armstrong influenced the formula of American Popular Song to a degree that few people realize. What has become so widely popular as a song formatted for radio play -  is a direct result of his recordings as he evolved with the recording techniques and song distribution methods of his time.

Just curious.  What instrument(s) do you play and what genre?

I can personally listen to almost any genre of music and have quite a variety in my collection.

I play trumpet, keys, and sing background vocals when called upon to do so. I'm a professional touring sideman occasionally releasing my own material or licensing original compositions to tv/film.  I have performed professionally in multiple genres including jazz, soul and Americana.

Black Sabbath influenced almost every band I listened to today, in some shape or form. They are the godfathers of heavy metal.

(10-01-2021, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 02:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Just curious.  What instrument(s) do you play and what genre?

I play trumpet, keys, and sing background vocals when called upon to do so. I'm a professional touring sideman occasionally releasing my own material or licensing original compositions to tv/film.  I have performed professionally in multiple genres including jazz, soul and Americana.

Is that why you chose Ron Swanson as your avatar?  

I have tremendous respect and envy for anyone who can play music.  God, I love music.  But I never learned to play an instrument.  I wish I had.  

Back to the subject of this thread-  I listen to classical.  Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, etc.  But on the subject of all-time most influential musical artists/groups, sticking with the intent of the original post, which I am sure did not mean going back to the 17th century, I would have to say in terms of today's popular music, you can't leave out the influence of all those unknown and barely known musicians who invented and played blues music.  A lot of the classic rock music of the 60s and 70s, including groups like the Rolling Stones, Creams, etc., was derived almost directly from Mississippi blues musicians like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and others.  

"Most influential" is a really tough question, because of they way, from the beginning of time, all music has evolved from whatever came before it.  It's a long evolution, with everyone influencing everyone else.

I love me some 70s and 80s rock and roll. Aerosmith, Zep, Stones, Beatles, Deep Purple, blah-blah-blah.

But I've also got a soft spot for Motown. Growing up, my brother and sister had literally hundreds of 45s. And a good deal was Motown.

I've even grown to where I can tolerate some C&W. Like jazz and blues. Mom and dad loved Tony Bennett, Tom Jones, Sinatra. I do a pretty good New York New York karioke.

About the only think I can't tolerate is rap. And I know it's personal taste, but that's just not music to me. It's talking to a beat.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-02-2021, 04:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I play trumpet, keys, and sing background vocals when called upon to do so. I'm a professional touring sideman occasionally releasing my own material or licensing original compositions to tv/film.  I have performed professionally in multiple genres including jazz, soul and Americana.

I have tremendous respect and envy for anyone who can play music.  God, I love music.  But I never learned to play an instrument.  I wish I had.  

Back to the subject of this thread-  I listen to classical.  Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, etc.  But on the subject of all-time most influential musical artists/groups, sticking with the intent of the original post, which I am sure did not mean going back to the 17th century, I would have to say in terms of today's popular music, you can't leave out the influence of all those unknown and barely known musicians who invented and played blues music.  A lot of the classic rock music of the 60s and 70s, including groups like the Rolling Stones, Creams, etc., was derived almost directly from Mississippi blues musicians like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and others.  

"Most influential" is a really tough question, because of they way, from the beginning of time, all music has evolved from whatever came before it.  It's a long evolution, with everyone influencing everyone else.

Ha! I should have changed my moniker to "Duke Silver" when i moved back from NYC. 

No, i wasn't that clever with the Swanson choice. The character's demeanor just felt akin to my posting style.

(10-02-2021, 08:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 04:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Is that why you chose Ron Swanson as your avatar?  

Ha! I should have changed my moniker to "Duke Silver" when i moved back from NYC. 

No, i wasn't that clever with the Swanson choice. The character's demeanor just felt akin to my posting style.

I can't believe I said "Creams."  I meant "Cream."

(10-02-2021, 04:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I play trumpet, keys, and sing background vocals when called upon to do so. I'm a professional touring sideman occasionally releasing my own material or licensing original compositions to tv/film.  I have performed professionally in multiple genres including jazz, soul and Americana.

That's a fact. Blues music from the South and the Motown sound heavily influenced the creation of British and American rock and roll. The term 'rock and roll' itself is early southern black vernacular for sex.

If there's no Robert Johnson then there's no rock n roll.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

No doubt the blues from the early delta area artists spawned a wealth of rock.

Even wilder is how much stuff that's still being produced that is inextricably tied to those early blues artists.

When you keep following the lineage of those blues artists you wind up in the early black church and work songs of slaves - and the dots are easy to connect.

(10-01-2021, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 02:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Just curious.  What instrument(s) do you play and what genre?

Very cool.  Trumpet and guitar are the only two instruments that I ever had lessons in.  Guitar was taught to me by a member of our church at a very young age, then I learned trumpet in band at school (I want to say around 4th or 5th grade).  We had a piano at home which my sister took lessons on, and I "taught myself" how to play.  From there I explored many instruments and learned how to play them, though I never really "mastered" any of them.  Everything from an accordion to drums.  I just seemed to have a "natural" talent to listen and hear notes, chords, rhythms, etc. and make music.

I put music aside in my late teens/early 20's and haven't picked up an instrument since then.

Music that influenced me is pretty vast.  I love the blues, old rock and roll, country/western (mostly the older stuff), Motown stuff, jazz and even some classical.  What I play and listen to mostly depends on my mood.

Next time you have a gig around here (Jacksonville) let me know.  I would love to come and listen and perhaps meet you.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Steve Gadd (best known for his time with Paul Simon, amongst many, many others) was my first ever drumming influence. I’ve done session work several times for bands and radio jingles and whatnot. I’ve been influenced by many more well known drummers, like Joey Jordison, Travis Barker, Vinnie Paul and Igor Cavalera.. but Steve Gadd was the first drummer I loved to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(10-02-2021, 05:02 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Steve Gadd (best known for his time with Paul Simon, amongst many, many others) was my first ever drumming influence. I’ve done session work several times for bands and radio jingles and whatnot. I’ve been influenced by many more well known drummers, like Joey Jordison, Travis Barker, Vinnie Paul and Igor Cavalera.. but Steve Gadd was the first drummer I loved to watch.

Nice. This is my type of sound. 

RIP Joey and Vinnie.

(10-02-2021, 05:02 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Steve Gadd (best known for his time with Paul Simon, amongst many, many others) was my first ever drumming influence. I’ve done session work several times for bands and radio jingles and whatnot. I’ve been influenced by many more well known drummers, like Joey Jordison, Travis Barker, Vinnie Paul and Igor Cavalera.. but Steve Gadd was the first drummer I loved to watch.

Dude, where the heck have you been? Unless I've gone blind I haven't seen you around here in a long while. I thought maybe the 'Rona got you. Good to see you back!

(10-02-2021, 10:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Dude, where the heck have you been? Unless I've gone blind I haven't seen you around here in a long while. I thought maybe the 'Rona got you. Good to see you back!

Nah.. Rona has kept clear from me which is amazing, considering my job.. I posted a few weeks ago saying that life had gotten in the way.. we’ve bought a house, our little boy is now 15 months etc etc.. thanks though, it’s good to be back.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...