Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thibodeaux & Hutchinson

(01-01-2022, 12:36 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Hutch was outmatched in this game. To the point he looked lost on a number of plays. Especially some of Bennet’s scrambles  I now seriously wonder if he is that far above everyone else in the draft. We now get the SEC title game rematch. Neal for ‘Bama and Salyer for UGA. These two tackles look to be highlighted that nite as far as online prospects. Nacoby Dean played at a high level too. Alas, Williams sid not get to shine on the deep routes without Methcie driving the defense crazy from the slot. It honestly looked like a flip from DE to OT tonite for top pick

Was it that he was outmatched in this game or was it that the other OT's he has faced this season were way worse than people thought? Hutchinson was destroying OT's earlier in the year, but last night he kinda looked lethargic. Instead of trying to run around the OT, he was running directly at him showing very little technique. That wasn't the same same player I saw earlier in the season. 

Ahmad Gardner and Coby Bryant really improved their draft stock. They completely shut down the Alabama receivers, despite not having a pass rush. Too bad the run defense was completely non-existent for U.C. With all his injuries, I don't see Derek Stingley holding onto that #1 CB ranking. I believe Gardner will overtake him and be the first CB chosen in the draft. He's been my #1 CB all along. 

I would never take Neal #1 or even in the first round. I still think he's completely overrated. I'd take Salyer, if he was there at the top of round 2, Max Mitchell in round 3 and I'd add C/OG Nick Ford later in the draft. I'd be way more comfortable with them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There were a few plays early on that he slipped past the tackle pretty easily but the play either went the other direction or the pass was out quick. Their whole defense just got overwhelmed and no one looked good.

It's a lousy draft for elite talent. I'd love to see one of the qbs fly up boards and us with the chance to trade back.

I was a Hutchinson supporter for the number 1 pick. But, after yesterday's disappearance, I don't think I would take him number 1. For an "elite" prospect in a huge game, I would have expected more impact.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2022, 09:55 AM by Upper.)

I had Hutch slightly ahead going into last night, but he was definitely exposed. As soon as he realized his power was neutralized he didn't have much left in his arsenal. Gotta go Thibs now.

(01-01-2022, 09:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 12:36 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Hutch was outmatched in this game. To the point he looked lost on a number of plays. Especially some of Bennet’s scrambles  I now seriously wonder if he is that far above everyone else in the draft. We now get the SEC title game rematch. Neal for ‘Bama and Salyer for UGA. These two tackles look to be highlighted that nite as far as online prospects. Nacoby Dean played at a high level too. Alas, Williams sid not get to shine on the deep routes without Methcie driving the defense crazy from the slot. It honestly looked like a flip from DE to OT tonite for top pick

Was it that he was outmatched in this game or was it that the other OT's he has faced this season were way worse than people thought? Hutchinson was destroying OT's earlier in the year, but last night he kinda looked lethargic. Instead of trying to run around the OT, he was running directly at him showing very little technique. That wasn't the same same player I saw earlier in the season. 

Ahmad Gardner and Coby Bryant really improved their draft stock. They completely shut down the Alabama receivers, despite not having a pass rush. Too bad the run defense was completely non-existent for U.C. With all his injuries, I don't see Derek Stingley holding onto that #1 CB ranking. I believe Gardner will overtake him and be the first CB chosen in the draft. He's been my #1 CB all along. 

I would never take Neal #1 or even in the first round. I still think he's completely overrated. I'd take Salyer, if he was there at the top of round 2, Max Mitchell in round 3 and I'd add C/OG Nick Ford later in the draft. I'd be way more comfortable with them.

By outmatched I meant he was totally schemed out of relevance by the Ga gameplan. They were not going to give him time and played away from him on a regular basis. This also had the effect of exposing Ojabo. If he was close to being elite and on the other side from Hutch, he should have made plays. He didn't. This game showed the Michigan playwers might be good but I no longer think they are elite. So Thibs for me or find a trade partner. JMO

For those saying Hutch had a poor game just looked at the box score. He didn’t dominate, but UGA never gave him an opportunity too.

Most plays went opposite side, short passes all night, doubled/chipped every play, etc.

He made an impressive read on a screen and was beating the double teams, but UGA scheme was to neutralize him and it worked. I’d be more worried about Obajo that didn’t take advantage of it the slides the other way.

(01-01-2022, 10:47 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 09:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Was it that he was outmatched in this game or was it that the other OT's he has faced this season were way worse than people thought? Hutchinson was destroying OT's earlier in the year, but last night he kinda looked lethargic. Instead of trying to run around the OT, he was running directly at him showing very little technique. That wasn't the same same player I saw earlier in the season. 

By outmatched I meant he was totally schemed out of relevance by the Ga gameplan. They were not going to give him time and played away from him on a regular basis. This also had the effect of exposing Ojabo. If he was close to being elite and on the other side from Hutch, he should have made plays. He didn't. This game showed the Michigan playwers might be good but I no longer think they are elite. So Thibs for me or find a trade partner. JMO

I think this is where I'm at as well.

(01-01-2022, 09:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Following Hutchinson's so-so performance last evening, I am even more convinced that a trade back would be the best move for the Jaguars. Thibodeaux could be great, but I'm just not so sure about that. Most draft experts (including those on this board) have said that this is not the year in which teams would trade up for the number 1 pick and "give up the farm." No quarterback is worth going after for multiple first round picks. Going along with this, I proposed a "reasonable" trade with the Giants on the Fanspeak simulator. The trade does not have to be with the Giants- it could be with any other team who has a top 10 pick. I also made one more trade with Vegas, giving them our 5th pick in round 2 (from the Giants) for picks 49 and 81. Here's how the draft looks.

Rd. 1 (8). Jameson Williams

Rd. 2 (33) Tyler Linderbaum

Rd. 2 (49) Darrian Kinnard

Rd. 3 (65) Logan Hall

(70) Sam Williams

(81) Rasheed Walker

(83) Justyn Ross

Rd. 4 (129) Brandon Smith

Rd. 5 (161) Nick Ford

These trades enabled the Jaguars to address the primary positions of need:

Receiver: Jameson Williams and Justyn Ross

Offensive line: Linderbaum, Kinnard, Walker and Ford

Edge/D.E.: Hall, Williams

L.B.: Brandon Smith

Not all positions of need for this team can be adequately met. They would need to get a tight end in free agency along with another receiver and linebacker. Cornerback and running back depth would also be addressed in free agency or the last 2 rounds of the draft. I'm interested whether you believe the trade for our 1st pick is reasonable (value in return) and whether you would make this deal. As with all Fanspeak mocks, some of these picks are unlikely to be available when taken- especially Linderbaum, but most others seem conceivable to me. My priorities for the Jaguars are to strengthen the offensive line and receiving corps. I believe this was done.

I have been watching the NFL draft pretty intently since the 1997 Orlando Pace 1st overall draft. I think Eric Fisher is the worst #1 pick I have seen. I can't decide between Courtney Brown and this draft as the second worst. What a sad time to get the #1 pick, thank god we don't need a QB. Please Thibs just go out and absolutely destroy the combine/pro day.

*I am obviously talking about the players as prospects, not playing hindsight. It's pretty impossible to compare QB vs non QB so I am also only talking about the position player #1 picks.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 02:09 PM by D6. Edited 1 time in total.)

Jeff Risdon wrote a sensible article about Aidan Hutchinson, following the Georgia win over Michigan in the College Football Semi Finals game. As difficult as this season has been for the Jaguars and Lions, it's reassuring that there are two edge rush prospects that warrant very serious consideration at the top of the draft.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/0...arsely-api

(01-03-2022, 02:09 PM)D6 Wrote: Jeff Risdon wrote a sensible article about Aidan Hutchinson, following the Georgia win over Michigan in the College Football Semi Finals game. As difficult as this season has been for the Jaguars and Lions, it's reassuring that there are two edge rush prospects that warrant very serious consideration at the top of the draft.

It's not like Hutch should fall out of the first round now or anything, but he should firmly be behind Thibodeaux now. He is more in the pick your flavor type tier with Karlaftis and maybe Ojabo/Johnson IMO.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 04:55 PM by D6. Edited 3 times in total.)

(01-03-2022, 03:35 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 02:09 PM)D6 Wrote: Jeff Risdon wrote a sensible article about Aidan Hutchinson, following the Georgia win over Michigan in the College Football Semi Finals game.  As difficult as this season has been for the Jaguars and Lions, it's reassuring that there are two edge rush prospects that warrant very serious consideration at the top of the draft. 

It's not like Hutch should fall out of the first round now or anything, but he should firmly be behind Thibodeaux now. He is more in the pick your flavor type tier with Karlaftis and maybe Ojabo/Johnson IMO.

Until relatively late in the 2021 College Football Regular Season, it seemed like Kayvon Thibodeaux was rated as the top edge and overall prospect by most.  With Hutch being in the flavor type tier, going somewhere in the middle of the top 10.  I think when the dust finally settles, Thibodeaux will end up as the # 1 pick.  With Hutch the most likely player to be selected with pick # 2, though not a lock,

Josh Allen was a better prospect than either IMHO.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2022, 10:33 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-11-2022, 08:49 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: Josh Allen was a better prospect than either IMHO.

I would say the same as well as Bradley Chubb.  All about the same imo

Just give me Sam Williams - DE - Ole Miss in the 2nd round over either at #1.

Similar stats and did it as a DE in a 3-2-6 defensive alignment.

I pounded the table for Dawson Knox when he came out of my Alma Mater and Sam Williams is the one I want this draft.

(01-12-2022, 06:02 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Just give me Sam Williams - DE - Ole Miss in the 2nd round over either at #1.

Similar stats and did it as a DE in a 3-2-6 defensive alignment.

I pounded the table for Dawson Knox when he came out of my Alma Mater and Sam Williams is the one I want this draft.

LOVE Sam Williams. He's my #3 DE/OLB prospect after Thibodeaux and Hutchinson. I really believe he has a chance to sneak into the first round. If we trade down and fill a need other than DE/OLB with our first round pick, I would target Sam Williams either in a trade back up to the bottom of the first round or with the #33 pick. He is an elite pass rusher and is flying completely under the radar.

Damn, I know it's a drill that's designed for the dline to impress...but Neal was owned with power and speed.

https://twitter.com/UCF_Jaguar/status/14...8231222284

Pass, I don't want this guy.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

But he actually did beat Neal a bunch, that dude just cherry picked the reps where he didn't.