Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Facebook and Instagram are down

Strange that hours after a whistleblower calls out Facebook saying they engaged in a “betrayal of democracy” that Facebook and other companies it owns are totally down.

I’m sure it’s a coincidence.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

But of course!

So glad I deleted everything Zuck related years ago.

I watched the 60 Minutes segment on that last night. It doesn't really matter to me because homie don't do social media. I have no idea how any of that stuff works unless something links to a FB or IG page.

Were they hacked, you think?

(10-04-2021, 03:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I watched the 60 Minutes segment on that last night. It doesn't really matter to me because homie don't do social media. I have no idea how any of that stuff works unless something links to a FB or IG page.

My guess is they are deleting data.

I used to have great discussions on Facebook but it's been less than useless to me for a while. For years. Just for poop-posting now. Wifey is in some mommy groups she enjoys but I'm not sure if those are useful to her.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021, 04:08 PM by homebiscuit.)

(10-04-2021, 03:56 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: So glad I deleted everything Zuck related years ago.

Am I the only one who has this strange urge to punch him in the face whenever he's shown?

(10-04-2021, 04:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: I used to have great discussions on Facebook but it's been less than useless to me for a while. For years.  Just for poop-posting now.  Wifey is in some mommy groups she enjoys but I'm not sure if those are useful to her.

That's the problem with most platforms. Discussions just get out of control and there's no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube once sensibilities are hurt.

I guess I should watch the 60 Minutes report. I'm on Instagram but only to follow some cat rescue organizations, the Jags and a few CrossFit athletes. I have commented on things but I don't post anything from my account and it's set to private. I left FB when it became a cesspool of hate and discontent.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021, 04:53 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-04-2021, 04:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 04:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: I used to have great discussions on Facebook but it's been less than useless to me for a while. For years.  Just for poop-posting now.  Wifey is in some mommy groups she enjoys but I'm not sure if those are useful to her.

That's the problem with most platforms. Discussions just get out of control and there's no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube once sensibilities are hurt.

You start out willing to share because you think you've got a friends list where people know where you're coming from but then you are disabused of that illusion bit by bit. People who you've known most of your life still might not share your assumptions, and still might not always be able to tell the difference between you making a joke or being serious when it's just text.  You might write a post with a few friends in mind, but someone you didn't even think of sees it and thinks it's directed at them. Once you realize how much effort it takes to write your posts with context, and make sure your jokes are clearly jokes and not hurting people you didn't mean to hurt, it's hardly worth it anymore.

Social media is the devil.  It along with the MSM that uses social media to "report" is a major part of what is wrong with this country.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-04-2021, 04:59 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Social media is the devil.  It along with the MSM that uses social media to "report" is a major part of what is wrong with this country.

What do you mean? You mean it's a problem when CNN promotes their articles on FB, or it's a problem when CNN searches for new stories on FB?

Who cares? It's an electronic cesspool.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

It's interesting that they mentioned the right wing group that used FB to organize the Jan 6th skirmish but didn't mention antifa and blm doing the same is for all of their "peaceful protests".

The Social Dilemma showed how shady FB is in how they use algorithms to manipulate what people see.

As far as Instagram giving teenagers, especially girls, issues with body image and eating disorders, that's nothing new. Magazines have been doing it for decades. There are websites that highlight anorexia and encourage it. There are groups on every social media platform that promote human trafficking, prostitution, drug use, alcoholism, racism, sexism, etc. But there are also groups that promote animal rescue, sports teams, books to read, volunteerism, entertainment, etc.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is bullying. A young lady I used to follow on Instagram committed suicide due to relentless hate directed towards her for the break-up of her relationship with her boyfriend although neither of them stated the reason why they parted ways, they both said it was mutual and parted as friends. She was dealing with depression and was getting treatment but the hateful comments combined with the isolation of lockdowns in 2020 eventually pushed her over the edge and she stepped in front of a train. I know for a fact the hateful comments were reported but nothing was ever done.

(10-04-2021, 03:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I watched the 60 Minutes segment on that last night. It doesn't really matter to me because homie don't do social media. I have no idea how any of that stuff works unless something links to a FB or IG page.

(10-04-2021, 04:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

They weren't hacked unless this is a completely different hack. The dns entries are gone, so you can't get to it. They could have been taken over by hackers but that requires either attacking the dns or being able to request the removal. Either they did it themselves so they could delete stuff or someone high up in the government took them offline.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(10-04-2021, 05:17 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It's interesting that they mentioned the right wing group that used FB to organize the Jan 6th skirmish but didn't mention antifa and blm doing the same is for all of their "peaceful protests". 

The Social Dilemma showed how shady FB is in how they use algorithms to manipulate what people see.

As far as Instagram giving teenagers, especially girls, issues with body image and eating disorders, that's nothing new. Magazines have been doing it for decades. There are websites that highlight anorexia and encourage it. There are groups on every social media platform that promote human trafficking, prostitution, drug use, alcoholism, racism, sexism, etc. But there are also groups that promote animal rescue, sports teams, books to read, volunteerism, entertainment, etc.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is bullying. A young lady I used to follow on Instagram committed suicide due to relentless hate directed towards her for the break-up of her relationship with her boyfriend although neither of them stated the reason why they parted ways, they both said it was mutual and parted as friends. She was dealing with depression and was getting treatment but the hateful comments combined with the isolation of lockdowns in 2020 eventually pushed her over the edge and she stepped in front of a train. I know for a fact the hateful comments were reported but nothing was ever done.

I was going to mention that earlier but didn't want to derail the thread into another biased MSM tailspin. It's the reason I stopped watching 60 Minutes with any regularity years ago. I'll catch a segment here and there, but almost every time it reinforces their bias. You just have to pick out the information from the leftist dreck.

(10-04-2021, 05:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 04:59 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Social media is the devil.  It along with the MSM that uses social media to "report" is a major part of what is wrong with this country.

What do you mean? You mean it's a problem when CNN promotes their articles on FB, or it's a problem when CNN searches for new stories on FB?

Look at how many times on live television whether it's news or sports related where the "reporting" is what is on [insert social media platform], mainly twitter.  Supposedly it's on [insert social media platform] so it becomes "news".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-04-2021, 06:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 05:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: What do you mean? You mean it's a problem when CNN promotes their articles on FB, or it's a problem when CNN searches for new stories on FB?

Look at how many times on live television whether it's news or sports related where the "reporting" is what is on [insert social media platform], mainly twitter.  Supposedly it's on [insert social media platform] so it becomes "news".

Your boy Trump doesn't become president without Twitter.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021, 06:51 PM by mikesez.)

(10-04-2021, 05:17 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It's interesting that they mentioned the right wing group that used FB to organize the Jan 6th skirmish but didn't mention antifa and blm doing the same is for all of their "peaceful protests". 

Facebook is used all over the world. In many other countries, it has produced not just protests or even insurrections but atrocities. India and Myanmar are two examples.

(10-04-2021, 04:05 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 03:56 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: So glad I deleted everything Zuck related years ago.

Am I the only one who has this strange urge to punch him in the face whenever he's shown?

He's the only example that makes me pause when people discuss the lizard people conspiracy.

(10-04-2021, 04:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Lol...trust you to go straight to conspiracy theories.

#neverchange