Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP General Colin Powell

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2021, 03:04 PM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

I was going to point out he was vaxed in the Covid thread, but I also wanted it on the record that I didn’t care for the Man he devolved into. So, two birds….

There was a time I wanted him to run for President…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-18-2021, 02:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 01:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Do you say that because you value Powell or because he'd use his death to advance his narrative?

I didn't care for Powell's politics as he was a strongly centrist Republican who was too moderate after he retired. I respected his career in the military and public service though and believe he is due more than a lot of respect for that work and that he was by all accounts a very nice man. I think Ronster shouldn't be using his RIP thread as an end zone spike for his agenda, it's unseemly.

I agree with your sentiments on Powell except replace moderate with establishment. I don't really care one way or the other with regards to most people's death. Especially politicians. Very few people are all the way good or all the way bad, and I struggle to really care that much about a person I don't know. Probably the only celebrity death that made me even a little sad in recent years was Norm MacDonald. 

I don't think anyone's death should be used to further an agenda. I think it should be standard etiquette that you avoid maligning the dead or using it to advance a narrative, with very few exceptions. It just seems that the people who get up in arms about these things are always on the other side of the argument. Just leave it out of the thread, but make sure you apply it to both sides of the argument. I've seen several instances, on this board, where people use a covid death to advance an narrative and the opposite side was getting all offended. I pointed it out to say that we should collectively shun it, no matter who it is. I can't stand hypocrisy.

(10-18-2021, 02:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 01:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Do you say that because you value Powell or because he'd use his death to advance his narrative?

I didn't care for Powell's politics as he was a strongly centrist Republican who was too moderate after he retired. I respected his career in the military and public service though and believe he is due more than a lot of respect for that work and that he was by all accounts a very nice man. I think Ronster shouldn't be using his RIP thread as an end zone spike for his agenda, it's unseemly.

I didn't necessarily agree with General Powell's politics, but I have much respect for the man because he kept it separate from his job both as a general and as Secretary of State under President Bush.  To me that was a man with the highest integrity expected from military leaders and cabinet officials.  He never let his politics get in the way of his job.

Regarding the part in bold, I certainly agree 100%.  It doesn't matter if he was vaccinated or not, it proves nothing.  He was 84 years old and had major health problems.  He was one of the people most vulnerable to the disease.

My parents are both well into their 80's, both vaccinated and in reasonably decent health for their age (my father is diabetic).  The disease could easily take them at any time.

General Powell will be missed by many and his passing is mourned by many.  May he RIP.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I respected Powell a lot, he spoke how he felt, even if that went against the party he considered aligned to. I love when people have the intestinal fortitude to publicly call out their own party when they disagree with what they do. We need more people like him who represent the "Reagan Republicans." Unfortunately, they are a dying breed as people from both parties become more and more extreme. R.I.P General. You will be missed.

It's hard to judge Powell or anyone else who achieved as much as he did, if you haven't been in their shoes. I won't try. I also don't understand how a man can support Bush 43 and then also support Obama.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-19-2021, 12:10 AM)mikesez Wrote: It's hard to judge Powell or anyone else who achieved as much as he did, if you haven't been in their shoes.  I won't try. I also don't understand how a man can support Bush 43 and then also support Obama.

I don't know either, but I don't know what his personal beliefs were. Maybe he just didn't like who ran against Obama or maybe the race issue played into it. Who knows? If he truly felt like Obama was the better candidate, I respect him for his decision. I certainly disagree with him, (as I believe Obama was one of the worst presidents ever), but I respect Powell for standing up for what he believed in, instead of mindlessly following whatever the party told him to do.

At one time, he could have won the presidency. His popularity and respect. This is sad news. God bless him and his family including his wife. They were married for 57 years or so. Incredible

(10-19-2021, 06:58 AM)Jag88 Wrote: At one time, he could have won the presidency. His popularity and respect. This is sad news. God bless him and his family including his wife. They were married for 57 years or so. Incredible

If I remember correctly, it was his wife who put the kibosh on any aspirations he had for running. He toyed with the idea but she was a definite no.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-19-2021, 07:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 06:58 AM)Jag88 Wrote: At one time, he could have won the presidency. His popularity and respect. This is sad news. God bless him and his family including his wife. They were married for 57 years or so. Incredible

If I remember correctly, it was his wife who put the kibosh on any aspirations he had for running. He toyed with the idea but she was a definite no.

I remember that. But when he came out in full support of Obama, I was more than just disappointed, I felt betrayed by what I thought I knew about him. Then as time went on he kept lurching left and I grew to really dislike who he became. So, he’s dead, one less dirty leftist breathing our air. I ain’t mad. ( hate on that)
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(10-19-2021, 08:05 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 07:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If I remember correctly, it was his wife who put the kibosh on any aspirations he had for running. He toyed with the idea but she was a definite no.

I remember that. But when he came out in full support of Obama, I was more than just disappointed, I felt betrayed by what I thought I knew about him. Then as time went on he kept lurching left and I grew to really dislike who he became. So, he’s dead, one less dirty leftist breathing our air. I ain’t mad. ( hate on that)
My statement continues to be true the more you message on this board.

(10-19-2021, 07:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If I remember correctly, it was his wife who put the kibosh on any aspirations he had for running. He toyed with the idea but she was a definite no.

Have to love the double down on being a complete douche bag. For someone of your age you sure do act like a little [BLEEP].
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Lol, you were betrayed by your own ignorance, nothing more.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 09:42 AM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-19-2021, 09:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 08:05 AM)Ronster Wrote: I remember that. But when he came out in full support of Obama, I was more than just disappointed, I felt betrayed by what I thought I knew about him. Then as time went on he kept lurching left and I grew to really dislike who he became. So, he’s dead, one less dirty leftist breathing our air. I ain’t mad. ( hate on that)

Lol, you were betrayed by your own ignorance, nothing more.

Ignorance huh? I am not the least bit ignorant. You just don't like my point of view and MY perspective. Now obama supporters on the other hand are and were ignorant, just like all democrat supporters now. They are ignorant of history. They are ignorant of an omnipotent government that is looking to strip away hard fought freedoms we used to enjoy. Normalizing Obamas RADICAL agenda is what has us in this mess we are in now. I am not ignorant, but rather I can see the ugly future that the left has in store for this country and this world. You want to come across as "cool" and "enlightened" but rather you are displaying your ignorance instead. Enjoy it now, for one day you and your ilk will have to live in the filth you are helping to create. Don't believe me? Just look at CA and NY and every other [BLEEP] democrat ran city and or state and THAT is the future we are heading towards. Congratulations, you are helping to create MISERY and PAIN for everyone.

I think his point is that you had a view of what you thought was true and it wasn't. Colin Powell didn't mislead you. There is an establishment class, and, despite what people think, GW and Obama are closer in kind than Ronster and GW or Captivating and Obama. In fact, Ronster and Captivating are closer in kind. Stop believing any of these dudes look out for your best interest. Just start holding them accountable for what they do, not which party they join.

(10-19-2021, 09:41 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 09:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, you were betrayed by your own ignorance, nothing more.

Ignorance huh? I am not the least bit ignorant. You just don't like my point of view and MY perspective. Now obama supporters on the other hand are and were ignorant, just like all democrat supporters now. They are ignorant of history. They are ignorant of an omnipotent government that is looking to strip away hard fought freedoms we used to enjoy. Normalizing Obamas RADICAL agenda is what has us in this mess we are in now. I am not ignorant, but rather I can see the ugly future that the left has in store for this country and this world. You want to come across as "cool" and "enlightened" but rather you are displaying your ignorance instead. Enjoy it now, for one day you and your ilk will have to live in the filth you are helping to create. Don't believe me? Just look at CA and NY and every other [BLEEP] democrat ran city and or state and THAT is the future we are heading towards. Congratulations, you are helping to create MISERY and PAIN for everyone.

Only a fool believes he is not somewhat ignorant. Only you believe that I'm some kind of leftie Obama supporter. Just because you didn't know Powell's politics doesn't mean he changed, it simply means you learned. That you felt "betrayed" by him because you thought he was something he didn't claim to be simply means that you can't help but blame others for your own ignorance. Seems like you have a lot of ignorance to work through.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 01:56 PM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-19-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 09:41 AM)Ronster Wrote: Ignorance huh? I am not the least bit ignorant. You just don't like my point of view and MY perspective. Now obama supporters on the other hand are and were ignorant, just like all democrat supporters now. They are ignorant of history. They are ignorant of an omnipotent government that is looking to strip away hard fought freedoms we used to enjoy. Normalizing Obamas RADICAL agenda is what has us in this mess we are in now. I am not ignorant, but rather I can see the ugly future that the left has in store for this country and this world. You want to come across as "cool" and "enlightened" but rather you are displaying your ignorance instead. Enjoy it now, for one day you and your ilk will have to live in the filth you are helping to create. Don't believe me? Just look at CA and NY and every other [BLEEP] democrat ran city and or state and THAT is the future we are heading towards. Congratulations, you are helping to create MISERY and PAIN for everyone.

Only a fool believes he is not somewhat ignorant. Only you believe that I'm some kind of leftie Obama supporter. Just because you didn't know Powell's politics doesn't mean he changed, it simply means you learned. That you felt "betrayed" by him because you thought he was something he didn't claim to be simply means that you can't help but blame others for your own ignorance. Seems like you have a lot of ignorance to work through.

I was ignorant, ignorant to believe that Republican meant Democrat opposition. And to that end, I believe that millions of Americans believed that as well. And that is why Trump, Trump IS the REAL opposition to the left and the elite. I WAS foolish and naïve to believe we had a true two party system. I was ignorant to believe that these men stood in opposition to the evil in our country. I was wrong, so wrong. However, as in life, experience has mad me rich and I will never be fooled again by a wolf in sheep's clothing. Powell was one of those elite PIGS that I despise so much and for my sentiments I offer no apologizes, only a warning; WE ARE ASLEEP NO MORE and we are in this fight to win, not compromise, those days are [BLEEP] over...

What in the actual hell is wrong with you? 

Nevermind. Everything you say answers the question.

(10-19-2021, 09:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 08:05 AM)Ronster Wrote: I remember that. But when he came out in full support of Obama, I was more than just disappointed, I felt betrayed by what I thought I knew about him. Then as time went on he kept lurching left and I grew to really dislike who he became. So, he’s dead, one less dirty leftist breathing our air. I ain’t mad. ( hate on that)

What in the actual hell is wrong with you? 

Nevermind. Everything you say answers the question.
Bad people say bad things.

Ronster is a bad person.

Curious if some of you think constantly calling someone a bad person doesn't actually make you the same?

(10-20-2021, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Curious if some of you think constantly calling someone a bad person doesn't actually make you the same?

It doesn't.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.