Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Derrick Henry the best RB ever?

I've always considered Barry Sanders the best RB I've ever seen play. Granted, he had a shorter career, but the things he did were absolutely unbelievable. I considered Derrick Henry the best RB of the modern age. Tonight something changed though. I know Henry has absolutely destroyed us over the years and it seems like he has been playing forever, but he just seems to get better and better. Tonight, he was awesome. To see a guy that big and powerful with that kind of breakaway speed is ridiculous! IMO, he has just supplanted Barry Sanders as the best RB of all time. 

It's weird. In college, Myles Jack was a 2 way player. He was a linebacker on defense and he played RB on offense. He was an absolute beast at RB. It seemed like he would break at least one long run in every game. He was probably one of the top 3 college RB's I had ever seen play the game. Unfortunately, Jack did not like playing RB and when he was drafted, he was very vocal about wanting to be a linebacker only in the NFL. He was a very good college LB, but he was a phenomenal college RB. Had he played RB in the NFL and been drafted into the right situation, I believe he would have been a superstar like Henry. I wonder if he ever watches Henry and wonders what would have happened if he had stuck to the RB position?

What do you guys think? Is Henry the best ever?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's still too early in his career to judge. If he stays on this trajectory, he might be top 5. Lots of good ones went before: Jim Brown, Larry Czonka, OJ, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson, Christian Okoye just to name some. I'm sure I'm leaving plenty more out. And since his era is slanted by favoring QB's and passing offense, what he is doing is even more amazing. Imagine him in a '3 yrds and a cloud of dust' era like the 70's; he would be tearing it up.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

He is a freak. He is not the best of all time though.

Henry reminds me of Eddie George, and it has nothing to do with the fact that they both played for the Titans. There's just something about watching that combination of size and speed, and Henry and George seem like the same back. I'm not sure Henry can be the best ever unless he manages to have a long career. It's rare to see those punishing backs make it all the way through their career without seeing them take an injury that slows them down. George was a monster until, all of the sudden, he wasn't. That said, I also think Henry has the advantage of playing in the passing era. I think you could take any of the big, fast, punishing backs and put them in this era and they would feast. Teams just aren't built to stop the run like they used to be. Freddy T, George, Campbell, Peterson, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, Walter Payton.... all of them would be wrecking balls.

Sanders was the most fun to watch, but his runs backwards were infuriating. I'm not saying he wasn't great, because he was, I just think he had to do too much on his own. I have always wondered what Sanders might have looked like behind a decent offensive line, but we'll never know if that would change those backwards runs. That said, I think he would get crushed in today's league with the emphasis on speed, unlike those backs I mentioned above. They would break a lot of these shoulder tackles and overpower modern DBs, no prob.

Not at this point, but if he plays like he is now (unlikely to keep up this pace) for another 6 or 7 seasons he'll be in the conversation. He's good, but he has only 6600 yards in 84 games. He needs another 10,000 yards to get into the conversation. One good hit on the knee and he'll be done as an elite back, so it's unlikely he avoids it for long enough.

Henry hit 21.8 mph in his breakaway run last night against the Bills. The fastest so far this season in the league.

Fun to watch, but no.

I will say, the titans are well coached and have been for 25 years. I can count on one hand the times I remember them getting blown out or look.like they were checked out. I really hate having this team in my division.

(10-19-2021, 12:50 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: He's still too early in his career to judge. If he stays on this trajectory, he might be top 5.  Lots of good ones went before: Jim Brown, Larry Czonka, OJ, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson, Christian Okoye just to name some.  I'm sure I'm leaving plenty more out. And since his era is slanted by favoring QB's and passing offense, what he is doing is even more amazing. Imagine him in a '3 yrds and a cloud of dust' era like the 70's; he would be tearing it up.

I see a lot of Earl Campbell in Henry.

Not ready to crown him the GOAT (still Jim Brown) but he's absolutely the best RB in the game today, and if he keeps this up, it will be a difficult task to argue against crowning him.

(10-19-2021, 08:52 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 12:50 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: He's still too early in his career to judge. If he stays on this trajectory, he might be top 5.  Lots of good ones went before: Jim Brown, Larry Czonka, OJ, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson, Christian Okoye just to name some.  I'm sure I'm leaving plenty more out. And since his era is slanted by favoring QB's and passing offense, what he is doing is even more amazing. Imagine him in a '3 yrds and a cloud of dust' era like the 70's; he would be tearing it up.

Not ready to crown him the GOAT (still Jim Brown) but he's absolutely the best RB in the game today, and if he keeps this up, it will be a difficult task to argue against crowning him.

People that talk about anybody else, never saw Jim Brown play.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I am older and saw Jim Brown and all the greats. Henry is in Jim Brown's neighborhood and that is saying something. Henry has one thing no other RB has. His long TDs are amazing. No DB ever catches him. I also thought Dorsett or Dickerson were the best big-play RBs. Henry is better than both. I thought LT was special but Henry is way more explosive. Sanders also was shifty but he could be stopped by elite D's. He never showed up in the big games. Henry always shows up for 4 Q's and OT.

Campbell is no longer the best Oiler/Tack RB. Henry owns that too. I think Henry is going to catch Emitt too. Not good news for the Jags.

Henry is already a HOF back, in my opinion. He has only one more guy to beat to be the goat, and that is Jim Brown. If he gets 2K again and does it before week 16 he will be GOAT-like. I suspect he is going to blow minds the rest of this season with how he is doing this. TN OL is not that good and he still is killing people. Every D that faces him knows what is coming and they cannot stop him. Only Jim Brown was like that in my eyes. Henry is in THAT neighborhood. I stayed up to watch that whole game and I am glad I did as a football fan.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 09:44 AM by CTEisREAL. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-19-2021, 07:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Not at this point, but if he plays like he is now (unlikely to keep up this pace) for another 6 or 7 seasons he'll be in the conversation. He's good, but he has only 6600 yards in 84 games. He needs another 10,000 yards to get into the conversation. One good hit on the knee and he'll be done as an elite back, so it's unlikely he avoids it for long enough.

6 or 7 years?  What he has done in his short career has surpassed every RB but Jim Brown.  And in the last 41 games, he has BEEN BETTER than Jim Brown's best 41 game stretch.  As a grey beard, I do not think you know what you are saying or seeing.  Henry is on a historic run.  Every player is one injury away from the end.  We do not judge what may happen.  Judge what he is doing in a historical context.  Right now Henry and Brown are the ONLY RB ever to do what they are doing.  Brown played on great Cleveland teams.  Henry's Tacks are average and his OL sucks.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 09:39 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

This is the guy I associate Henry to as his closest comparison, only Henry is much faster. Campbell was one of the most powerful runners I had ever seen. He constantly kept his legs moving forward and carried defenders with him. I swear, Henry just looks faster and faster each season.

(10-19-2021, 09:00 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 08:52 AM)Mikey Wrote: I see a lot of Earl Campbell in Henry.

People that talk about anybody else, never saw Jim Brown play.

I'm old, but I'm not that old. That was before my time.

(10-19-2021, 07:21 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Henry reminds me of Eddie George, and it has nothing to do with the fact that they both played for the Titans. There's just something about watching that combination of size and speed, and Henry and George seem like the same back. I'm not sure Henry can be the best ever unless he manages to have a long career. It's rare to see those punishing backs make it all the way through their career without seeing them take an injury that slows them down. George was a monster until, all of the sudden, he wasn't. That said, I also think Henry has the advantage of playing in the passing era. I think you could take any of the big, fast, punishing backs and put them in this era and they would feast. Teams just aren't built to stop the run like they used to be. Freddy T, George, Campbell, Peterson, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, Walter Payton.... all of them would be wrecking balls.

Sanders was the most fun to watch, but his runs backwards were infuriating. I'm not saying he wasn't great, because he was, I just think he had to do too much on his own. I have always wondered what Sanders might have looked like behind a decent offensive line, but we'll never know if that would change those backwards runs. That said, I think he would get crushed in today's league with the emphasis on speed, unlike those backs I mentioned above. They would break a lot of these shoulder tackles and overpower modern DBs, no prob.

George was a bruiser.  Henry is a gazelle and has better power than George.  Henry has more long TDs than anyone in NFL history.  George rarely had home runs  His yds per carry are a full 1.3 yards LOWER than Henry.  George was never elite.  He played with a great team and very good OL.  It does seem George impact on Henry was a talk he had with him 4 years ago.  That talk seemed to change Henry's mindset.  That is about the only thing George had over Henry.  Now it appears Henry has taken that to next level too.  Henry is the only non-Jag who I like to watch.  He reminds me of Jim Brown every time I watch him except he is faster and more physical.

(10-19-2021, 09:42 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 07:21 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Henry reminds me of Eddie George, and it has nothing to do with the fact that they both played for the Titans. There's just something about watching that combination of size and speed, and Henry and George seem like the same back. I'm not sure Henry can be the best ever unless he manages to have a long career. It's rare to see those punishing backs make it all the way through their career without seeing them take an injury that slows them down. George was a monster until, all of the sudden, he wasn't. That said, I also think Henry has the advantage of playing in the passing era. I think you could take any of the big, fast, punishing backs and put them in this era and they would feast. Teams just aren't built to stop the run like they used to be. Freddy T, George, Campbell, Peterson, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, Walter Payton.... all of them would be wrecking balls.

George was a bruiser.  Henry is a gazelle and has better power than George.  Henry has more long TDs than anyone in NFL history.  George rarely had home runs  His yds per carry are a full 1.3 yards LOWER than Henry.  George was never elite.  He played with a great team and very good OL.  It does seem George impact on Henry was a talk he had with him 4 years ago.  That talk seemed to change Henry's mindset.  That is about the only thing George had over Henry.  Now it appears Henry has taken that to next level too.  Henry is the only non-Jag who I like to watch.  He reminds me of Jim Brown every time I watch him except he is faster and more physical.

No
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-19-2021, 09:36 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 07:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Not at this point, but if he plays like he is now (unlikely to keep up this pace) for another 6 or 7 seasons he'll be in the conversation. He's good, but he has only 6600 yards in 84 games. He needs another 10,000 yards to get into the conversation. One good hit on the knee and he'll be done as an elite back, so it's unlikely he avoids it for long enough.

6 or 7 years?  What he has done in his short career has surpassed every RB but Jim Brown.  And in the last 41 games, he has BEEN BETTER than Jim Brown's best 41 game stretch.  As a grey beard, I do not think you know what you are saying or seeing.  Henry is on a historic run.  Every player is one injury away from the end.  We do not judge what may happen.  Judge what he is doing in a historical context.  Right now Henry and Brown are the ONLY RB ever to do what they are doing.  Brown played on great Cleveland teams.  Henry's Tacks are average and his OL sucks.

That there's talk about his place in history says a lot, but right now he's almost 12000 yards and 100 TDs off the career lead. But he's playing great and it's not unrealistic for him to finish his career among the leaders.

That being said if he had an injury injury next week that either ended his career or lowered his production significantly would you say he's the greatest running back ever?

Talking about the greatest is a difficult thing, but right now he's done a good job getting the start of a Hall of Fame resume ready.

I'm partial to Ladanian Tomlinson because he is the most complete back of all time to me. The dude could do it all and that's more in line with the type of running backs I like. So players like LT and Faulk are higher on my list than most.

Henry is pretty incredible though. Not sure there's another running back who's like him. Dude averages 6.7 yards a carry in the 4th quarter. Unreal.

A few have mentioned Jim Brown as being the best of all time. They are correct. I watched him play . The man was incredible. And he never showed he was hurt. He even talked about it after his career. He always got back up off the ground with the same speed/ motion, never letting on if he got nicked. Do not forget that he retired after 9 seasons with a lot left in the tank. A lot of other runners have been Hall of Fame great but none better than Brown. While Henry is great in his own right, he was mismanaged his first couple seasons and was on the verge of being let go by the Tacks. Then they played us, Henry made us look like a Pop Warner team and the rest is history. Talk about total TDs and yards if you want, i don't think Henry willl hold up long enough for those records. Having said that, I think he will end up #2 all time at RB. The pain at him passing Emmit is ameliorated by the fact that he is one of ours being from Yulee.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 04:52 PM by Jagwired. Edited 2 times in total.)

He is not close to the best ever...yet. Does he have the skills and chance to become the best? Yes.

Also, it's a little deep into this thread without an Emmitt mention ain't it? Nevermind, second post. DOH!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Dang, yeah i agree, I forgot him.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(10-19-2021, 11:29 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: A few have mentioned Jim Brown as being the best of all time. They are correct. I watched him play . The man was incredible. And he never showed he was hurt.  He even talked about it after his career. He always got back up off the ground with the same speed/ motion, never letting on if he got nicked. Do not forget that he retired after 9 seasons with a lot left in the tank. A lot of other runners have been Hall of Fame great but none better than Brown.  While Henry is great in his own right, he was mismanaged his first couple seasons and was on the verge of being let go by the Tacks. Then they played us, Henry made us look like a Pop Warner team and the rest is history. Talk about total TDs and yards if you want, i don't think Henry willl hold up long enough for those records. Having said that, I think he will end up #2 all time at RB. The pain at him passing Emmit is ameliorated by the fact that he is one of ours being from Yulee.

I watched Brown, also, and he was truly " a man against boys." He weighed 230 pounds, which made him bigger than most linebackers of his time. What makes Henry so amazing is that defensive players today are so much bigger and stronger than in the 60's yet he is almost as dominant as Brown was. If Henry keeps this up for a few more seasons, he'd have to be in the discussion of best ever running back. This is a guy who has always been underestimated; many college coaches told him he was too slow to play running back and wanted to change his position. He was also passed over in the 1st round of the draft.