Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Southwest under fire after pilot saying 'Let's go Brandon'

If you don't want to fly Southwest, there are plenty of other airlines to fly Snowflakes......

Southwest under fire after video surfaces purportedly showing pilot saying 'Let's go Brandon'

Several offended social media users vowed to stop flying Southwest unless action is taken

Social media users took to their keyboards Saturday to react to a newly surfaced video that purportedly shows a Southwest Airlines pilot concluding an announcement to passengers by saying "Let's go Brandon" over the plane's intercom system.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/sou...MeUDs-yiBE
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't personally care for the whole Brandon thing but these people are free to fly another airline just as the pilot is free to say what he did.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021, 09:15 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-31-2021, 08:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I don't personally care for the whole Brandon thing but these people are free to fly another airline just as the pilot is free to say what he did.

Actually, he's not free to say what he said.  The First Amendment only applies to the government.  

If he cost them customers, and I was running Southwest Airlines, I would fire him and tell all my other employees not to make statements that offend a portion of our customer base.

(11-01-2021, 09:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 08:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I don't personally care for the whole Brandon thing but these people are free to fly another airline just as the pilot is free to say what he did.

Actually, he's not free to say what he said.  The First Amendment only applies to the government.  

If he cost them customers, and I was running Southwest Airlines, I would fire him and tell all my other employees not to make statements that offend a portion of our customer base.

At my work he would be fired just for doing it without regard to the impact on customers. Politics are forbidden, period.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The "I'm never flying SW again" is just social media noise. People flying SW in the first place are already being economic and trying to save money. They will continue to fly SW no matter what they say, because they don't live by the standard of their Twitter account in the real world.

Besides, it would be tough to prove Let's go Brandon is political when it originated with reference to a NASCAR driver.

(11-01-2021, 09:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 09:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Actually, he's not free to say what he said.  The First Amendment only applies to the government.  

The "I'm never flying SW again" is just social media noise. People flying SW in the first place are already being economic and trying to save money. They will continue to fly SW no matter what they say, because they don't live by the standard of their Twitter account in the real world.

Besides, it would be tough to prove Let's go Brandon is political when it originated with reference to a NASCAR driver.

Willing to bet that not one of those people ever flew on Southwest to begin with. The liberal elite wouldn't lower themselves to that trash airline.

(11-01-2021, 09:33 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 09:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The "I'm never flying SW again" is just social media noise. People flying SW in the first place are already being economic and trying to save money. They will continue to fly SW no matter what they say, because they don't live by the standard of their Twitter account in the real world.

Willing to bet that not one of those people ever flew on Southwest to begin with. The liberal elite wouldn't lower themselves to that trash airline.

My favorite is the people with "status" on SW threatening them.

Never mix business and politics. With that being said, businesses need to stop caving to these social media trends. It’s all noise and accomplishes nothing but empowering the whiners.

(11-01-2021, 09:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Never mix business and politics. With that being said, businesses need to stop caving to these social media trends. It’s all noise and accomplishes nothing but empowering the whiners.

If Southwest fired him because they lost customers as a result of what he said, they would be within their rights and justified in doing so.  It's a business decision that they have every right to make.

(11-01-2021, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 09:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Never mix business and politics. With that being said, businesses need to stop caving to these social media trends. It’s all noise and accomplishes nothing but empowering the whiners.

If Southwest fired him because they lost customers as a result of what he said, they would be within their rights and justified in doing so.  It's a business decision that they have every right to make.

I would be shocked if SW fires a perfectly qualified pilot when there are already labor shortages hurting the bottom line.

At some point, passengers should be concerned about the qualifications of the person flying their plane.

(11-01-2021, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

But how do you know if they lost customers? You certainly can’t gauge it by the empty threats and endless whining on Twitter.

Interesting tweet from Clay Travis.

The same blue check brigade members who have spent five years arguing Colin Kaepernick should be able to make political statements in uniform at work are demanding a Southwest Airlines pilot be fired for allegedly saying “Let’s go Brandon,” on the plane PA.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2021, 10:17 AM by The Real Marty.)

(11-01-2021, 10:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If Southwest fired him because they lost customers as a result of what he said, they would be within their rights and justified in doing so.  It's a business decision that they have every right to make.

But how do you know if they lost customers? You certainly can’t gauge it by the empty threats and endless whining on Twitter.

I think that's up to Southwest Airlines.  They're the ones who have to determine that.

(11-01-2021, 10:09 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Interesting tweet from Clay Travis.

The same blue check brigade members who have spent five years arguing Colin Kaepernick should be able to make political statements in uniform at work are demanding a Southwest Airlines pilot be fired for allegedly saying “Let’s go Brandon,” on the plane PA.

Just to be clear, I am not demanding that the pilot be fired.  I am simply defending Southwest's right to fire him.

(11-01-2021, 10:09 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Interesting tweet from Clay Travis.

It's not interesting, it's the same double standard that applies to everything they do.

Southwest encourages flight attendants to be lax with the official safety messages and customize them as they see fit. They still have to give the official statement but with whatever flair they want to add. I've only flown once or twice with them but I prefer they just read it and stop talking.

I hope there was someone named Brandon on the flight. That would be perfect.

I didn't say there wouldn't be consequences for the pilot, just that he's free to say what he wants. What happens after is between him and his employer.

Brandon making his way into a [BLEEP] pit! [blushes].

But seriously, Brandon was just the name of the copilot that was supposed to pull the flaps upon landing. They’re all lucky they made it safely.

For the record, I'm sure Southwest Airlines, like every major company including the one that I work for, has a policy prohibiting discussions related to politics or religion so they have the right to fire him if they so desire, regardless of whether they gain or lose business.

Micheal Jordan said it best.  "Republicans buy shoes."

I hate the politics in commerce.  We have a restaurant that puts this phrase on their billboard out front for the last couple weeks.  Before that odd it was the,  get rid of "Newsanse". 
I want Gov. Newsom gone as much as anyone else who doesn't follow the rules, that he makes others fallow.  

But the billboard bothers me, and there are other BBQ places around.    I would assume the place is half as good as some of the bbq you guys have anyway.

I should buy a smoker.  We typically just consider Weberizing BBQ.
s
;

;

(11-02-2021, 09:57 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote:

Micheal Jordan said it best.  "Republicans buy shoes."

I hate the politics in commerce.  We have a restaurant that puts this phrase on their billboard out front for the last couple weeks.  Before that odd it was the,  get rid of "Newsanse". 
I want Gov. Newsom gone as much as anyone else who doesn't follow the rules, that he makes others fallow.  

But the billboard bothers me, and there are other BBQ places around.    I would assume the place is half as good as some of the bbq you guys have anyway.

I should buy a smoker.  We typically just consider Weberizing BBQ.

You can make some fine BBQ on a Weber. I’ve been doing it for years. Use the indirect heating method with some wood chips or chunks of your choosing and it smokes just fine.