Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars transition to zone defnese has made a dramatic difference!

Meyer himself said it yesterday that they thought they would be a good man to man defense but had to adapt.  They started making this change towards the London game and it has made a drastic difference.  Instead of players being open after 2 seconds playing our version of man to man, our defenders eyes are on the QB in zone coverage.  This is giving our defense a change to effect the QB.

But we got spanked in Seattle right?  Wrong!  The Jaguars only allowed 229 yards.   The real issue is the offense has too many injuries combined with lack of playmakers on the outside.  The Jags have scored 7 points last week and 9 points the next.  If the offense can find a way to be somewhat productive this team could go on a late season run with the defense playing like this.   The Defense has put a string of good games together.  The arrow is pointing up.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-08-2021, 07:21 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Meyer himself said it yesterday that they thought they would be a good man to man defense but had to adapt.  They started making this change towards the London game and it has made a drastic difference.  Instead of players being open after 2 seconds playing our version of man to man, our defenders eyes are on the QB in zone coverage.  This is giving our defense a change to effect the QB.

But we got spanked in Seattle right?  Wrong!  The Jaguars only allowed 229 yards.   The real issue is the offense has too many injuries combined with lack of playmakers on the outside.  The Jags have scored 7 points last week and 9 points the next.  If the offense can find a way to be somewhat productive this team could go on a late season run with the defense playing like this.   The Defense has put a string of good games together.  The arrow is pointing up.

There's no scenario where the team played good defense in Seattle.

(11-08-2021, 07:21 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Meyer himself said it yesterday that they thought they would be a good man to man defense but had to adapt.  They started making this change towards the London game and it has made a drastic difference.  Instead of players being open after 2 seconds playing our version of man to man, our defenders eyes are on the QB in zone coverage.  This is giving our defense a change to effect the QB.

Someone send Tyson Campbell the memo.

We didn't get spanked by Seattle because we only allowed 229 yards? LOL...

The score was 24-0 with like 2 minutes left in the game. We didn't just get spanked by Seattle, we got absolutely destroyed by Seattle.

Missed opportunity if we were able to get the offence going we had a chance to score multiple times but failed miserably.

It's just too bad that it took the coaching staff this long to figure out that we didn't have the right personnel for man to man coverage. Ideally, we would play man to man, but we have zone coverage guys are a bad fit in that scheme. Play to your strengths. They should've figured this out weeks ago.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2021, 08:55 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(11-08-2021, 08:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's just too bad that it took the coaching staff this long to figure out that we didn't have the right personnel for man to man coverage. Ideally, we would play man to man, but we have zone coverage guys are a bad fit in that scheme. Play to your strengths. They should've figured this out weeks ago.

Better late than never.  Also it's hard to just flip a switch and turn over night.  Players have been practicing man to man the majority of camp.  It takes time to transition to a zone team in the mist of a season.

(11-08-2021, 08:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: We didn't get spanked by Seattle because we only allowed 229 yards? LOL...

The score was 24-0 with like 2 minutes left in the game. We didn't just get spanked by Seattle, we got absolutely destroyed by Seattle.

A defense allowing 24 points a game and 229 yards is Superbowl caliber defense.  The offensive hasn't gotten much of anything going the past couple of weeks.  As I said, the out west game was a mulligan anyway.

(11-08-2021, 08:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: We didn't get spanked by Seattle because we only allowed 229 yards? LOL...

I'm not going to disagree with that but there ARE scenarios where a defense can play well and get scored on a lot. Have we forgotten the Bortles era so soon?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-08-2021, 08:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: A defense allowing 24 points a game and 229 yards is Superbowl caliber defense.  The offensive hasn't gotten much of anything going the past couple of weeks.  As I said, the out west game was a mulligan anyway.

We allowed friggin Geno Smith to have the best completion percentage above expected in recorded history man.

(11-08-2021, 10:27 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 08:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: A defense allowing 24 points a game and 229 yards is Superbowl caliber defense.  The offensive hasn't gotten much of anything going the past couple of weeks.  As I said, the out west game was a mulligan anyway.

We allowed friggin Geno Smith to have the best completion percentage above expected in recorded history man.
Yes but for little yards

This thread starts with "meyer thought x, but actually it was y"

They had an offseason to construct a defense to suit Cullen's scheme.
They failed.
Badly.

Now, halfway through the season, i'm supposed to praise this staff for figuring out some [BLEEP] they should have worked out months ago??

Nah.

I'm glad Cullen isn't the total fool he's appeared to be thus far, but this FO failed to give him the tools he needed in the secondary and he sucked for several weeks by not adapting.

(11-08-2021, 09:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:

I'm not going to disagree with that but there ARE scenarios where a defense can play well and get scored on a lot. Have we forgotten the Bortles era so soon?

Of course not, but there was nothing good about the Defense that was played by this team against Seattle. They were confused and lost for the majority of the game. Its been a long time since I've seen so much pre-snap confusion as we seen in that game.

They let Geno freakin Smith set league records against them. It was a pathetic showing, we know it and the players know it. I have no doubt that played a huge role in why they were so dialed in for yesterday's game and showed up big time. They went back and watched that embarrassment and knew it was beyond unacceptable.

(11-08-2021, 08:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 08:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's just too bad that it took the coaching staff this long to figure out that we didn't have the right personnel for man to man coverage. Ideally, we would play man to man, but we have zone coverage guys are a bad fit in that scheme. Play to your strengths. They should've figured this out weeks ago.

Better late than never.  Also it's hard to just flip a switch and turn over night.  Players have been practicing man to man the majority of camp.  It takes time to transition to a zone team in the mist of a season.

A defense allowing 24 points a game and 229 yards is Superbowl caliber defense.  The offensive hasn't gotten much of anything going the past couple of weeks.  As I said, the out west game was a mulligan anyway.

The Defense may have given up 24 points, but we all know it felt like 44 points and could have easily been. That game was not close and it's amazing that it only ended with us giving up 31 points. There's no silver lining to take away from that game against Seattle man. It's was a complete embarrassment.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 02:29 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

It's not just zone. They are doing a great job recently of mixing it up and also throwing in really good blitzes. Its not like previous years where they just sit in the zone all day and play soft . The biggest surprise is the run defense. This team is tough up the middle. Hopefully they can keep that up. Love how they played sunday. Now the offense needs to be a lot better. Better play calling and the wr need to win their match ups. I see other teams pushing off all the time in other nfl games. Maybe the jags need to learn that

To me, the entire difference in the defense last game was that we got pressure on the passer. Without that, it doesn't matter if you play zone or man to man.

Of course, that begs the question, was it a real improvement or did Buffalo's offensive line play really poorly?

Classic MVP

(11-08-2021, 10:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This thread starts with "meyer thought x, but actually it was y"

They had an offseason to construct a defense to suit Cullen's scheme.
They failed.
Badly.

Now, halfway through the season, i'm supposed to praise this staff for figuring out some [BLEEP] they should have worked out months ago??

Nah.

I'm glad Cullen isn't the total fool he's appeared to be thus far, but this FO failed to give him the tools he needed in the secondary and he sucked for several weeks by not adapting.

But we won 9 to 6!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Seattle's team is full of studs, they really only missed Wilson.. Jags were 1-15 last year. What did you think was gonna happen? Add that with playing on the west coast and there ya have it..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I know we need discussion but they haven't figured out squat yet. 2 games this year produced wins and both games the other team gave it away. There weren't enough plays to show success that produces future wins.

We have a drive here and there but overall the offense is a failure. The defense played one good game. Show me more and we can revisit the discussion.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-08-2021, 08:53 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

Good grief, dude...  In this case, the defense allowed Geno Freaking Smith to look like Joe Montana.  This game was over before it even got started thanks to the defense.