Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 CB Class

Curious to know what all you draftniks and NCAA experts think about the prospects available in the 2022 draft for our jaguars. 

Enlighten us less-informed fans if you will, please. 

Cool

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 03:38 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-08-2021, 11:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Curious to know what all you draftniks and NCAA experts think about the prospects available in the 2022 draft for our jaguars. 

Cool

Personally, I don't think it's a very deep class, but there are some pretty good corners to be had in the first and second rounds. I see a lot of guys being selected in round 1. My favorite of the lot is Ahmad Gardner of Cincinnati. He's a lockdown corner with size and range, but Derek Stingley of LSU is likely gonna be the first corner off the board. Other players like Kaiir Elam of Florida, Andrew Booth of Clemson, Trent McDuffie of Washington, Roger McCreary of Auburn, Derion Kendrick of Georgia, Coby Bryant of Cincinnati, Mykael Wright of Oregon, Josh Jobe of Alabama, Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson of TCU, Matt Hankins of Iowa and Martin Emerson of Mississippi State have a chance to go on the first or second day of the draft, depending on how they run. I believe we have to land one of these guys. IMO, I prefer bigger cover corners.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 11:30 AM by DTWD4∞. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-09-2021, 03:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 11:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Curious to know what all you draftniks and NCAA experts think about the prospects available in the 2022 draft for our jaguars. 

Cool

Personally, I don't think it's a very deep class, but there are some pretty good corners to be had in the first and second rounds. I see a lot of guys being selected in round 1. My favorite of the lot is Ahmad Gardner of Cincinnati. He's a lockdown corner with size and range, but Derek Stingley of LSU is likely gonna be the first corner off the board. Other players like Kaiir Elam of Florida, Andrew Booth of Clemson, Trent McDuffie of Washington, Roger McCreary of Auburn, Derion Kendrick of Georgia, Coby Bryant of Cincinnati, Mykael Wright of Oregon, Josh Jobe of Alabama, Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson of TCU, Matt Hankins of Iowa and Martin Emerson of Mississippi State have a chance to go on the first or second day of the draft, depending on how they run. I believe we have to land one of these guys. IMO, I prefer bigger cover corners.

Naming 13 1st to 3rd rounders you expect in the draft does not sound like a weak CB class LOL. But as to being top heavy, yeah not so much. I think there Will be a number of good NFL CBs in that group just not more than 1 or 2 that merit 1st round status. And while a I love muh Gators, I am not very high on Elam. He should not be higher than mid to low 2nd round. Definitely think Jobe is better. All that said, we need big uglies before DBs. That and WR#1.

(11-09-2021, 11:29 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 03:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I don't think it's a very deep class, but there are some pretty good corners to be had in the first and second rounds. I see a lot of guys being selected in round 1. My favorite of the lot is Ahmad Gardner of Cincinnati. He's a lockdown corner with size and range, but Derek Stingley of LSU is likely gonna be the first corner off the board. Other players like Kaiir Elam of Florida, Andrew Booth of Clemson, Trent McDuffie of Washington, Roger McCreary of Auburn, Derion Kendrick of Georgia, Coby Bryant of Cincinnati, Mykael Wright of Oregon, Josh Jobe of Alabama, Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson of TCU, Matt Hankins of Iowa and Martin Emerson of Mississippi State have a chance to go on the first or second day of the draft, depending on how they run. I believe we have to land one of these guys. IMO, I prefer bigger cover corners.

Naming 13 1st to 3rd rounders you expect in the draft does not sound like a weak CB class LOL. But as to being top heavy, yeah not so much. I think there Will be a number of good NFL CBs in that group just not more than 1 or 2 that merit 1st round status. And while a I love muh Gators, I am not very high on Elam. He should not be higher than mid to low 2nd round. Definitely think Jobe is better. All that said, we need big uglies before DBs. That and WR#1.

The CB class is the best position class in this draft imo.  If we want a good corner there will be on available with where we pick.  What makes you not high on Elam?  Teams don't through his way.  I wish I could see a stat with how many catches and yards he has given up.

Riley Moss would be an interesting name if we stay running zone. Has been an absolute ballhawk for Iowa when healthy.

(11-09-2021, 01:00 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Riley Moss would be an interesting name if we stay running zone. Has been an absolute ballhawk for Iowa when healthy.

This will be an interesting development to watch. 
Will Cullen seek to fill his secondary with guys suiting his original intent, or will he just bolster his current adaptation with more zone-friendly players?

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2021, 04:06 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-09-2021, 11:29 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 03:38 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I don't think it's a very deep class, but there are some pretty good corners to be had in the first and second rounds. I see a lot of guys being selected in round 1. My favorite of the lot is Ahmad Gardner of Cincinnati. He's a lockdown corner with size and range, but Derek Stingley of LSU is likely gonna be the first corner off the board. Other players like Kaiir Elam of Florida, Andrew Booth of Clemson, Trent McDuffie of Washington, Roger McCreary of Auburn, Derion Kendrick of Georgia, Coby Bryant of Cincinnati, Mykael Wright of Oregon, Josh Jobe of Alabama, Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson of TCU, Matt Hankins of Iowa and Martin Emerson of Mississippi State have a chance to go on the first or second day of the draft, depending on how they run. I believe we have to land one of these guys. IMO, I prefer bigger cover corners.

I didn't say it was weak at all. It's not. It just isn't very deep. There's a huge difference. I'd expect all of the guys I mentioned to be taken no later than round 3, but undoubtedly some will fall further once we figure out how fast they are. A slow 40 time will make a CB fall down the board quickly. I was just naming off some of the top guys. Personally, I'd eliminate every CB in the draft class under 5'11". I hate short CB's.

(11-09-2021, 01:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 01:00 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Riley Moss would be an interesting name if we stay running zone. Has been an absolute ballhawk for Iowa when healthy.

This will be an interesting development to watch. 
Will Cullen seek to fill his secondary with guys suiting his original intent, or will he just bolster his current adaptation with more zone-friendly players?

That will be interesting.

Honestly, I believe he will be converted to a Safety on the next level if he runs anything slower than a 4.55/40. He definitely is a ballhawk though.

(11-09-2021, 04:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 11:29 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Naming 13 1st to 3rd rounders you expect in the draft does not sound like a weak CB class LOL. But as to being top heavy, yeah not so much. I think there Will be a number of good NFL CBs in that group just not more than 1 or 2 that merit 1st round status. And while a I love muh Gators, I am not very high on Elam. He should not be higher than mid to low 2nd round. Definitely think Jobe is better. All that said, we need big uglies before DBs. That and WR#1.

I didn't say it was weak at all. It's not. It just isn't very deep. There's a huge difference. I'd expect all of the guys I mentioned to be taken no later than round 3, but undoubtedly some will fall further once we figure out how fast they are. A slow 40 time will make a CB fall down the board quickly. I was just naming off some of the top guys. Personally, I'd eliminate every CB in the draft class under 5'11". I hate short CB's.

That's fair and Elam IS 6' 2" BTW. I just think he would be better served to add a couple pounds and move to safety JMO. And serviceable corners look to be available in the 3rd round. I just cannot see taking one in round 1 or 2 next year.

(11-10-2021, 11:20 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 04:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I didn't say it was weak at all. It's not. It just isn't very deep. There's a huge difference. I'd expect all of the guys I mentioned to be taken no later than round 3, but undoubtedly some will fall further once we figure out how fast they are. A slow 40 time will make a CB fall down the board quickly. I was just naming off some of the top guys. Personally, I'd eliminate every CB in the draft class under 5'11". I hate short CB's.

That's fair and Elam IS 6' 2" BTW. I just think he would be better served to add a couple pounds and move to safety JMO. And serviceable corners look to be available in the 3rd round. I just cannot see taking one in round 1 or 2 next year.

I'd take one if they were BAP, but it all depends on how the board falls into place.

(11-10-2021, 11:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 11:20 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: That's fair and Elam IS 6' 2" BTW. I just think he would be better served to add a couple pounds and move to safety JMO. And serviceable corners look to be available in the 3rd round. I just cannot see taking one in round 1 or 2 next year.

I'd take one if they were BAP, but it all depends on how the board falls into place.

Well if BAP and one of the top 2 CBs? mebbe but doubtful for me. That of course depends on where we pick, sans any trading up or down, and right now we are slotted at $6 I believe. If we win a few more games we will possibly be out of the top ten. To me that means the top two Edge and Tackles are off the board, maybe even the top 2 CBs.  If that is the case and we are picking in the 10-20 range where do we go with that pick? Do you think there would be a viable WR#1 there? LB? IOL or DT? I dunno. Just so many needs still.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 04:03 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-11-2021, 03:06 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 11:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd take one if they were BAP, but it all depends on how the board falls into place.

Well if BAP and one of the top 2 CBs? mebbe but doubtful for me. That of course depends on where we pick, sans any trading up or down, and right now we are slotted at $6 I believe. If we win a few more games we will possibly be out of the top ten. To me that means the top two Edge and Tackles are off the board, maybe even the top 2 CBs.  If that is the case and we are picking in the 10-20 range where do we go with that pick? Do you think there would be a viable WR#1 there? LB? IOL or DT? I dunno. Just so many needs still.

I really hope we are not picking in the top 10. I wanna win as many games as possible. As far as who we pick, it doesn't matter the position. IMO, Kayvon Thibodeaux is the only truly great player in this draft that you have to take, if he is available. After that, there are loads of very good players who could help our team immensely at a variety of positions. No matter where we pick, there will be some very good players available. I don't see a real difference between the #2 pass rusher and the #5 pass rusher or the #1 CB and the #3 CB. With the WR's it will all come back to how they run. This team desperately needs speed added to the receivers. They also need receivers with good hands. Currently our receivers have neither attribute. I think we could easily find a pass rusher all the way into round 3. The same for WR and CB. I think we could find a good ILB who excels at pass coverage, all the way into rounds 4 or 5. We could find interior O-Line help that far as well. We don't really need a NT, so that doesn't really concern me. 

As far as who we take, who knows? It all depends on where we are and who is on the board. I'm extremely confident there will be very good players on the board when we pick that could help us a ton. The question is whether this front office has enough common sense to pick the right players. That is what I'm most worried about. No more drafting for need. We have so many needs right now that they should not be prioritized. Just take the BAP, be it OLB, CB, ILB, OG, WR, TE, CB or whatever. 

Some guys I'm really liking a lot right now who can probably be had outside of the first round are...... OLB David Ojabo of Michigan, OG Zion Johnson of Utah, CB Derion Kendrick of Georgia, CB Coby Bryant of Cincinnati, ILB Damone Clark of LSU, ILB Channing Tindall of Georgia, WR David Bell of Purdue, TE Isaiah Likely of Coastal Carolina, WR Jalen Tolbert of South Alabama, OG Jamaree Salyer of Georgia, CB Matt Hankins of Iowa, Center Dohnovan West of Arizona State, WR Tre Turner of Virginia Tech, OT Max Mitchell of Louisiana, WR Jalen Nailor of Michigan State, ILB Mike Rose of Iowa State, OLB Ali Fayad of Western Michigan, ILB Leo Chenal of Wisconsin, TE Derrick Deese Jr. of San Jose State, TE Charlie Kolar of Iowa State, C/OG Nick Ford of Utah, OG/OT Zachary Thomas of SDSU, ILB Justin Rice of Utah State, ILB Chad Muma of Wyoming, TE Lucas Krull of Pitt, OLB Tristan Nichols of Nevada and WR Danny Gray of SMU.

I really like Ojabo a lot. Hutchinson gets all the glory at Michigan, but I believe Ojabo is a much better all around OLB. He actually might go in round 1. He's been on a streak lately. I really wanna draft an OLB who played 3-4 OLB in college, instead of selecting a guy who played DE in college and now has to transition to 3-4 OLB. IMO, Ojabo would be ideal, outside of Thibodeaux. I have a strong feeling, if he keeps it up, he may be a top 15-20 pick. I'd certainly take him in the first round.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 12:54 PM by DTWD4∞. Edited 3 times in total.)

Hutch had some splashes in the Michigan State game but Ogabo looked really good too. Two OLB and ILB from good college 3-4 defenses should be targets for sure. You mention a couple of IOL from Utah that I haven't seen so will defer to your acumen on them. Speed, speed and more speed is needed in the WR room but just as important are the hands. However, if a receiver has the knack or skill set to consistently get separation that could mitigate a lack of top end speed a tad. The CBs you list are intriguing. Kendrick I like a lot but is that because of the great pass rush in front of him? I really like Kolar at TE and after than a tackle or two could help. So to recap, @ LBs and ! CB for defense. ! TE and 2-3 IOL. That is 7 or 8 picks depending on IOL. We currently have 7 picks in the first five rounds but the lode is 4 in the first 3 rounds. We can possibly package some of the 5 picks in the las 2 rounds to get back into the fifth round . Honestly, getting 7 or 8 wins in the draft is not expected by me. If we get 3 I would be very happy and 4 would be ecstatic. Picking in the 10-20 range as I expect actually increases the importance of making the right picks. That. to me, means we need better scouting and vetting by the front office. We shall see

(11-11-2021, 04:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 03:06 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Well if BAP and one of the top 2 CBs? mebbe but doubtful for me. That of course depends on where we pick, sans any trading up or down, and right now we are slotted at $6 I believe. If we win a few more games we will possibly be out of the top ten. To me that means the top two Edge and Tackles are off the board, maybe even the top 2 CBs.  If that is the case and we are picking in the 10-20 range where do we go with that pick? Do you think there would be a viable WR#1 there? LB? IOL or DT? I dunno. Just so many needs still.

I really hope we are not picking in the top 10. I wanna win as many games as possible ...

I agree, but I really don't see a viable scenario where we are not picking in the 2-8 range.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 05:43 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-13-2021, 12:53 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Hutch had some splashes in the Michigan State game but Ogabo looked really good too. Two OLB and ILB from good college 3-4 defenses should be targets for sure. You mention a couple of IOL from Utah that I haven't seen so will defer to your acumen on them.  Speed, speed and more speed is needed in the WR room but just as important are the hands. However, if a receiver has the knack or skill set to consistently get separation  that could mitigate a lack of top end speed a tad. The CBs you list are intriguing. Kendrick I like a lot but is that because of the great pass rush in front of him?  I really like Kolar at TE and after than a tackle or two could help. So to recap, @ LBs and ! CB for defense. ! TE and 2-3 IOL. That is 7 or 8 picks depending on IOL. We currently have 7 picks in the first five rounds but the lode is 4 in the first 3 rounds.  We can possibly package some of the 5 picks in the las 2 rounds to get back into the fifth round . Honestly, getting 7 or 8 wins in the draft is not expected by me. If we get 3 I would be very happy and 4 would be ecstatic. Picking in the 10-20 range as I expect actually increases the importance of making the right picks. That. to me, means we need better scouting and vetting by the front office. We shall see

100% agree. 

I can only name off the guys I like, but with this front office, who knows who they will select? Unfortunately, none of us have control over that. Based on the last draft, I'm not expecting much. We sure haven't got much production out of the 2020 draft class or the free agents we brought in.

(11-13-2021, 05:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 04:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really hope we are not picking in the top 10. I wanna win as many games as possible ...

I agree, but I really don't see a viable scenario where we are not picking in the 2-8 range.

True.

Jermaine Johnson for FSU is going to be spectacular..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]