Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cj Beathard

(11-09-2021, 01:50 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 12:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote: ...and people were pissed that we signed him.

I wasn't pissed that we signed him, just thought it was unnecessary since we already had Minshew on his rookie contract.  And while the throw that Agnew dropped was a thing of beauty, the one down the sideline (I think to Arnold?) was a wounded duck - granted, it got there and did the job.  While I have more confidence in him now then I did before the Bills game, I think I'll wait for him to throw more than 3 meaningful passes before giving him the "best backup QB" award.

He's better than Minshew and experienced. He's an ideal backup in a lot of ways. Some people just have draft dementia and think having an extra 4th or 5th rounder is the key to the Superbowl.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m not sure this says more about him or me, but he only had 3 attempts. He had a completion but when he threw it, it looked like a duck trying to glide all the way to its southern migration grounds. I was fully expecting all 11 of the defense to be on the ball when it came down. Turned out to be a positive play. I don’t want to come off as bashing the guy, but I’m live TV, it looked like a horrible pass as it was progressing. Glad it wasnt

If he came in and tossed bullets all day then he wouldn't be available as a backup. You pay money for guys who can come in, hold the team together and get lucky. He did those things. Backup pass mark met with flying colours.

Beathard had his chance to establish himself as a starter in SF. He didn't quite have it, but he's a very capable backup. If he's smart, he'll adopt a Chad Henne attitude and be grateful for the opportunity to pull down millions while putting little wear and tear on his body. Conversely, the Jags should pay him well to keep him on the roster. He has enough veteran experience to play well and be a leader if, heaven forbid, Lawrence ever gets hurt.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2021, 06:20 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(11-09-2021, 10:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 07:39 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Why do we always want to trade away good players, even backups?

Because we don't care about winning games.  We want to win the offseason.  

Trade away good players, tank every season.  Get better draft picks.  Rinse and repeat.

Or because trading a backup for a starter is something a smart person would do.

(11-09-2021, 07:47 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m not sure this says more about him or me, but he only had 3 attempts.  He had a completion but when he threw it, it looked like a duck trying to glide all the way to its southern migration grounds.  I was fully expecting all 11 of the defense to be on the ball when it came down.  Turned out to be a positive play.  I don’t want to come off as bashing the guy, but I’m live TV, it looked like a horrible pass as it was progressing.  Glad it wasnt

It hit the guy in stride. Also he threw a perfect pass in the endzone which Agnew just dropped.

(11-14-2021, 06:19 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 10:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Because we don't care about winning games.  We want to win the offseason.  

Trade away good players, tank every season.  Get better draft picks.  Rinse and repeat.

Or because trading a backup for a starter is something a smart person would do.

Sure if you could get a starter for a backup. I mean it has happened (Taylor for Johnson) but when it does it's usually a fluke. You can't use that as a strategy to build your team. There's a reason those guys are backups.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-16-2021, 12:57 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 06:19 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Or because trading a backup for a starter is something a smart person would do.

Sure if you could get a starter for a backup. I mean it has happened (Taylor for Johnson) but when it does it's usually a fluke. You can't use that as a strategy to build your team. There's a reason those guys are backups.

CJB ain't bringing near enough darft capital on his own to get any starter outside of a punter.

I like what i have seen from him.

(11-16-2021, 03:40 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 12:57 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Sure if you could get a starter for a backup. I mean it has happened (Taylor for Johnson) but when it does it's usually a fluke. You can't use that as a strategy to build your team. There's a reason those guys are backups.

CJB ain't bringing near enough darft capital on his own to get any starter outside of a punter.

I agree that at this moment you're right. But we saw Blaine Gabbert traded for a pick after being one of the worst QBs to ever touch a football. I'd say his impressive preseason + his limited plays this year + maybe another good preseason next year could turn out to be a 3rd or 4th round pick if a team needs a QB and gets desperate. Which could lead to the drafting of a contributer. Until then, I'm just glad he's our backup and not Minshew.

(11-17-2021, 05:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 03:40 PM)Mikey Wrote: CJB ain't bringing near enough darft capital on his own to get any starter outside of a punter.

I agree that at this moment you're right. But we saw Blaine Gabbert traded for a pick after being one of the worst QBs to ever touch a football. I'd say his impressive preseason + his limited plays this year + maybe another good preseason next year could turn out to be a 3rd or 4th round pick if a team needs a QB and gets desperate. Which could lead to the drafting of a contributer. Until then, I'm just glad he's our backup and not Minshew.

You've extrapolated this from two completions?  Pretty impressive.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

time for beathard..

lawrence should have never had the manning and elway comparisons.. 

also i believe i heard people say hes a golden boy yeah ok the pony boy.. lol..

(11-17-2021, 09:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 05:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I agree that at this moment you're right. But we saw Blaine Gabbert traded for a pick after being one of the worst QBs to ever touch a football. I'd say his impressive preseason + his limited plays this year + maybe another good preseason next year could turn out to be a 3rd or 4th round pick if a team needs a QB and gets desperate. Which could lead to the drafting of a contributer. Until then, I'm just glad he's our backup and not Minshew.

You've extrapolated this from two completions?  Pretty impressive.

Did he only throw the ball twice in the preseason? My memory must be bad.