Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Controversial Ref Assigned to Jags/clots Game

(11-10-2021, 02:12 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 02:11 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I just dont want to see refs using taunting penalties to decide games. This is football. Intimidation and trash talk is part of the fun of game.  They arent robots. This isn't baseball.

Fun for who?  This isn't wrestling.

You are right. Its not wrestling. In football, they are REALLY beefing on the field and talking trash trying to get an edge on each other. If you played sports which you probably have I would imagine, you should understand all of this unless you are a quire boy. Its doesnt matter if you or anyone likes it it not. It's been this way since the 70s until now. Many of the all time greats knock your head off and then taunt. Go watch nfl films.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2021, 03:35 PM by snowwolf776. Edited 1 time in total.)

its simple jags need to go out,and play winning  Jaguar football,and contintue playign the game even when refs make the bad calls.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-10-2021, 03:33 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 02:12 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Fun for who?  This isn't wrestling.

You are right. Its not wrestling. In football, they are REALLY beefing on the field and talking trash trying to get an edge on each other. If you played sports which you probably have I would imagine, you should understand all of this unless you are a quire boy. Its doesnt matter if you or anyone likes it it not. It's been this way since the 70s until now. Many of the all time greats knock your head off and then taunt. Go watch nfl films.

Dude. 

The NFL has added a few rules that may have eluded you over the decades. 

The players have to adhere to them.

If we want better refs then the Jags need to play better football.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-10-2021, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 03:33 PM)Jag88 Wrote: You are right. Its not wrestling. In football, they are REALLY beefing on the field and talking trash trying to get an edge on each other. If you played sports which you probably have I would imagine, you should understand all of this unless you are a quire boy. Its doesnt matter if you or anyone likes it it not. It's been this way since the 70s until now. Many of the all time greats knock your head off and then taunt. Go watch nfl films.

Dude. 

Do you remember when the nfl outlawed celebrating, and it started getting called the No Fun League? Then they fixed that mistake. I think they need to clean up this taunting rule.  Its stupid and petty and way to subjective. I'm all for a penalty for cheap shots or fighting but dont try to legislate emotion out of the game.

Bull [BLEEP].  You practically need a choreographer for some of the ridiculous celebrations that go on now.  I don't have to watch NFL films.  I've been watching since the 60's  and if the players did some of the ridiculous crap they do now the other team would kill somebody on the next play.

I don't know...when I played sports...I like...you know...played the game and didn't try to show anybody up.

What's a quire boy?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2021, 04:46 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Choir boy ^^ I'm watching the trial and typing at the same time. Arnold Schwarzenegger reference haha

I say let the players have fun. The fans like to see the players having fun. Dont let the refs decide the game unless it's a football play

(11-10-2021, 04:12 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dude. 

Do you remember when the nfl outlawed celebrating, and it started getting called the No Fun League? Then they fixed that mistake. I think they need to clean up this taunting rule.  Its stupid and petty and way to subjective. I'm all for a penalty for cheap shots or fighting but dont try to legislate emotion out of the game.
The taunting rule is just fine.

The leagues decision to emphasize it this year and the arbitrary manner in which refs are implementing that emphasis is a [BLEEP] nightmare. After the Marsh penalty the league will have to alter course. Much like they did with the PI Challenge stuff a few years ago 

Outside of that - no one cares about how you or i feel regarding the modern rules and any nostalgia we may have about the good old days. 

I like smash mouth football, and trash talk is fine. Standing over another player and gloating is some dumb kid [BLEEP] and i'm fine with them penalizing it. They just need to get their enforcement into uniformity and cut out the overzealous enforcement.

NFL: looks like the Jags are starting to win some games, let’s put a stop to that shall we

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2021, 08:35 PM by Bullseye. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-10-2021, 11:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 11:28 AM)Dimson Wrote: Why do they have to be hoodlums?

I dunno, I guess it's popular or something. They could not act that way, but old ideas like sportsmanship and fair play are so last century.

Dimson, if I have misinterpreted your question, please correct me, but I believe the question, within context, is better expressed "Why are they perceived or labeled as hoodlums by you?  

Am I correct?

If so, I join you in your inquiry.

Taunting is in no way new to the NFL or football overall.

Take one of the all time classic NFL films clips of Chuck Bednarik leveling Frank Gifford.

https://youtu.be/o1EHius5Y88

Even though many thought Bednarik taunted Gifford, I have seen interviews where he indicated he wasn't trying to taunt Gifford.  Assuming his denial of unsportsmanlike behavior or intent is honest, yet people have accused him of taunting on the play, can we conclude it's possible he could have been flagged for taunting under the current rules?  If it's possible what was perceived to be taunting was competitive heat of the moment exuberance and he could have been flagged irrespective of intent, is it fair to label him a "hoodlum" under those circumstances?

If it's possible his intentions could be mistaken by observers, who is to say that a player today, in a helmet on tv possibly a hundred feet from a camera or field mike can't have his actions misconstrued by officials or other observers?  If so, and his intent was misconstrued, is it similarly fair or unfair to label him a "hoodlum" too?

There' are also a couple of noteworthy instances involving Steelers HOF LB Jack Lambert. Vs the Cowboys.  The first happened in Super Bowl X.  Steelers K Roy Gerela missed a FG, and HOF Dallas S Cliff Harris went over and patted him on the helmet.  Lambert saw it as taunting, took offense to it, threw Harris to the ground and pointed at him.  Both Harris and Lambert both taunted on that play.  A few years later, circa 1982, Lambert played against Dallas in an early season MNF game.  He tackled Dallas RB Tony Dorset, stood over him, pointed, and said, "That oughta calm your [BLEEP] down!" In another famous NFL films clip.  That, too would have been a clear violation of the current rule against taunting..  Yet in the decades since those interactions, I have never heard or read Harris, or Lambert or Dorset (spike the ball against Washington DT Darrell Grant's head) and many others called "hoodlums" simply because they taunted an opponent on the field.

Why?  Was the act of taunting somehow less egregious in the 70s and 80s than a similar act now?

Did "unsportsmanlike" somehow become a synonym for "violent" or "criminally inclined?"

Former Raiders CB Damon Arnette?  If he taunted, yes, the term Hoodlum" would be appropriate because there's other activities that makes the adjective fit.  In the absence of definitive proof of hoodlum activity, it's rhetorical, logical and factual leap to conflate one who taunts with a hoodlum and it's patently unfair.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

^^ Good read

(11-10-2021, 05:18 PM)jaglyn Wrote: NFL: looks like the Jags are starting to win some games, let’s put a stop to that shall we

#becausejaguars

The refs have a quota.. Goodell has the number.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Celebrations are cool. Taunting isn't.

The refs gotta know the difference. And usually they do.
Spin kick? Cool.
Flex vs sideline? Taunting.

Hip checks from refs though. Not cool. No matter what.

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 02:09 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Taunting is horrific because it might hurt the other players feelings. Super snow flake rules. I miss the 90s nfl.

The NFL is an entertainment enterprise guys...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I do find it odd the NFL has an axe to grind on taunting, but the whole dang defense can gather in the endzone after an INT or turnover and do a choreographed dance to Thriller.

you are a quire boy.

What's a quire boy?

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 12:41 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yes I misspelled it. If you read on through the post, you see that I already asked for forgiveness. Spoiler alert: I will make more spelling mistakes. Thank you ahead of time for your concern

Look this is systematic changing of football. Ever time they put an emphasis on something, they screw it up.

Look at all the football move nonsense. Stupid debates and dumb emphasis by the league. Now we get the taunting nonsense.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.