Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How do we match up against the chargers?

Quote:But do the Jags have the talent "currently" to do it?

Of course we do, but talent on paper has not helped us in previous Chargers games.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

gordon/woodhead is the biggest threat outside of rivers obv

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Mr. Throw My Way ‏@BoldCityCap  5h5 hours ago

We've played San Diego in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 & now 2016. 6 out of last 7yrs. Haven't beaten em in that span. Has to change, right?

I mean, kinda hard to say we are better until it happens right.

</div>
2010 was honestly probably the last chance Jags had at beating a Philip Rivers team till now. That 2010 Jags team was 8-8 led by Garrard and MJD. Not sure if it was the 2010 year, but one of my favorite plays of MJD was when he blew up Merriman. When Gene Smiff took over in 09, he crushed this team. Not to mention in that span of years you mentioned, Philip Rivers has been straight balling.

To be dead honest... I am not sure I buy this whole thing of the Jags not being good on the West Coast (yet), because when you have been 19-62 (including the Packers loss) since that 2010 season heck you suck on all coasts. Doesn't matter if its east, north, west,  or south. This is the first year since, the Jags could say hey we got a shot. Then again... we got the Chargers ace in the hole.. Coach Gussy! I am hoping the infusion of talent that Dave has brought in can overcome coach Gussy and a weak Chargers team, because the Jags match up favorably in my eyes. 

Quote:2010 was honestly probably the last chance Jags had at beating a Philip Rivers team till now. That 2010 Jags team was 8-8 led by Garrard and MJD. Not sure if it was the 2010 year, but one of my favorite plays of MJD was when he blew up Merriman. When Gene Smiff took over in 09, he crushed this team. Not to mention in that span of years you mentioned, Philip Rivers has been straight balling.

To be dead honest... I am not sure I buy this whole thing of the Jags not being good on the West Coast (yet), because when you have been 19-62 (including the Packers loss) since that 2010 season heck you suck on all coasts. Doesn't matter if its east, north, west, or south. This is the first year since, the Jags could say hey we got a shot. Then again... we got the Chargers ace in the hole.. Coach Gussy! I am hoping the infusion of talent that Dave has brought in can overcome coach Gussy and a weak Chargers team, because the Jags match up favorably in my eyes.

To be fair, Shack Harris didn't draft well enough and the offensive and defensive lines got old/worn down.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:The Chargers offensive line was said to be horrible last year and we still could not get past them.
ditto

I don't like our match-up against SD. Our best O weapons go up against their best D weapons. Their secondary did a good job against our WRs last season. Meanwhile, their best weapons on O go (Woodhead, Gates) against the weakness of our D (coverage against RBs out of backfield/TEs). Meanwhile, the strength of our defense (secondary based out of the GB game) is matched up against a WR group that just lost Keenan Allen. Then there's the whole "Can you pressure Rivers?"

If we can't pressure Rivers with our front four, and we have to blitz to affect him, we're going to lose this game. I feel like the team will need to really have some great games from our young guns on defense. This is why Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack was hyped up by "experts" for this team. 

Jack on Gates, Ramsey on Woodhead.

Q: How do we match up?

A: Eleven on Eleven.

Have you seen my baseball?

Olson presser:

We expect Verett to follow A-Rob.

Quote:Olson presser:

We expect Verett to follow A-Rob.
Verrett is a good corner but that is a mismatch with the size A rob, hopefully we can take advantage

Quote:Verrett is a good corner but that is a mismatch with the size A rob, hopefully we can take advantage
Verrett played him well last year.

Mismatch or no, there are plenty of weapons at Blake's disposal if he goes through his progressions properly and has time. 

Olson: Verrett played Allen Robinson as well as any CB in the league last year. Expect him to follow ARob on Sunday like last year. #Jaguars

This is the match up to watch. Need other recievers to step up big.

I think we match up pretty well. Are offense should dominate there defense. Jason Verret is a good cb but a smaller cb who Both Allens should expose. Corey liuget is a pretty good DT but more of a run stuffer and Aj Cann should be good battle. Chargers
best wr is Travis Benjamin but think the biggest problem for Jags could be Danny Woodhead who's a tremendous receiver at RB.
Future Hall Of Fame tight end Antonio Gates is also potential problem also. That being said if Jags can score 30+ we should
definitely win. Chargers offense isn't as strong as ours especially with Wide receivers Keenan Allen and Stevie Johnson both on IR.Julius Thomas and Mercedes Lewis should have big weeks to. Chargers are week at LB and safety

Quote:Verrett is a good corner but that is a mismatch with the size A rob, hopefully we can take advantage

Olson: Verrett played Allen Robinson as well as any CB in the league last year. Expect him to follow ARob on Sunday like last year. #Jaguars

Quote:2010 was honestly probably the last chance Jags had at beating a Philip Rivers team till now. That 2010 Jags team was 8-8 led by Garrard and MJD. Not sure if it was the 2010 year, but one of my favorite plays of MJD was when he blew up Merriman. When Gene Smiff took over in 09, he crushed this team. Not to mention in that span of years you mentioned, Philip Rivers has been straight balling.

To be dead honest... I am not sure I buy this whole thing of the Jags not being good on the West Coast (yet), because when you have been 19-62 (including the Packers loss) since that 2010 season heck you suck on all coasts. Doesn't matter if its east, north, west,  or south. This is the first year since, the Jags could say hey we got a shot. Then again... we got the Chargers ace in the hole.. Coach Gussy! I am hoping the infusion of talent that Dave has brought in can overcome coach Gussy and a weak Chargers team, because the Jags match up favorably in my eyes. 

This

Quote:I haven't really been following other teams besides Jaguars. So how do we match up against them. Are we a better overall team?

We match up well (on paper), the strength of the Jags defense is the run defense, the secondary, and the interior pass rush, Rivers doesn't have the escape ability of Rodgers and (definitely) doesn't have the WR talent Green Bay does. The Jaguars secondary is impressive and virtually shut down Nelson, Cobb, and Adams last week, they should have no problem replicating that performance against an underwhelming Chargers receiving "core" that features names like Dontrell Inman, Travis Benjamin, and Tyrell Williams. I doubt the Chargers will be able to run the ball which will make that offense one dimensional, I like the Jaguars chances of (finally) slowing down Philip Rivers this weekend.

The biggest threat on that offense is Danny Woodhead, Todd Wash will no doubt (schematically) try to slow him down. The Jaguars offense should have plenty of success against and underwhelming Chargers defense that will likely be without Joey Bosa for a second straight week, the Chargers are weak against the run and don't have much of a pass rush, they do have one other better corners (Jason Verrett) in the league but the rest of their secondary is garbage. (Alex Smith threw for 360+ yards last week), the combination of little to know pass rush and a secondary that (outside of Verrett) is average/below average bodes well for the Jags passing game, especially in the middle of the field, I'm expecting a big game for Julius Thomas (who torched them last year for 116 yards and a TD),  all in all this is a game the Jaguars should dominate, they're playing against an inferior roster and have better match-ups all across the field, both on offense and defense, we'll see how it plays out.

There's no reason we shouldn't beat the Chargers.

Quote:There's no reason we shouldn't beat the Chargers.

Yes there is: the guy who wears a dark blue #17 jersey. We can't stop him.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2016, 11:52 AM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:There's no reason we shouldn't beat the Chargers.

This, though the loss stinks I think this team got a lot of confidence going toe to toe with a perennial contender in the Packers last week, I thought this team legitimately outplayed the Packers on both sides of the ball, I'd be shocked it the Jags don't come out and absolutely pound the Chargers on Sunday. I could care less what's happened in the past, this is the most talent this team has had (on both sides of the ball) in years, playing against a Chargers team that doesn't have it's #1 receiver, and holes all over the defense.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2016, 11:54 AM by jradMITEX.)

This is a big game for the Jags, not a must win but pretty close.  If the Jags are contenders for the AFC South, these are games they must and should win.  Two most important points for the game.   Can the Chargers O-line play as good as they did last week?  They protected Rivers well and were able bolster a dominant rushing performance.  Can they do the same this week?   Other question is can BB play a clean consistent game from start to finish?  BB was able to protect the ball and move it well last week, can he have the same performance on the road this week?  Despite what some say, its never easy for teams making that long of a trip.  Its a body rhythm thing I think, although its harder for teams making the opposite trip Cal-Florida, its still sometimes has effect on how crisp you are out the gate.  Jags were 1-7 on the road this year, they need to be at least .500 if they want to be in the mix this year.

Quote:This, though the loss stinks I think this team got a lot of confidence going toe to toe with a perennial contender in the Packers last week, I thought this team legitimately outplayed the Packers on both sides of the ball, I'd be shocked it the Jags don't come out and absolutely pound the Chargers on Sunday. I could care less what's happened in the past, this is the most talent this team has had (on both sides of the ball) in years, playing against a Chargers team that doesn't have it's #1 receiver, and holes all over the defense.

Prepare to be shocked then. If we win Sunday, it will not be a blowout.