Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban Meyer to Notre Dame as HC?

(11-21-2021, 05:19 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The first thing this team needs is a dominant, WR1, along with a clone of Josh Allen. Then go get entire new secondary. Griffin and Jenkins were supposed to be good signings but they have turned out to be duds. Campbell is a squat CB and he’s looking like bench material or a nickel.

Blame it on Meyer if you want, but if he was fired tomorrow we would still have the same players.

How about it's not only about "we have player x y or z". How about it's the boneheaded penalties? What about the boneheaded decisions he's made? My question is, and keep in mind I do not watch college football so my knowledge of Meyer is limited, but why does everyone think he would be a good NFL coach? From the sounds of it college HCs just recruit good players and good player often go to good colleges because...well it's a good school that can advance their careers in the NFL. If that's the case how is it even comparable to what an NFL hc does? I mean I would say that a College HC would make a better NFL GM than HC...

NFL GM's have to be able to evaluate talent, college coaches just have to be able to collect it. They get double the number of players compared to an NFL roster. They just sign every highly talked recruit they can and then just play the ones that seem to be the best in practices.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-21-2021, 05:25 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:19 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: How about it's not only about "we have player x y or z". How about it's the boneheaded penalties? What about the boneheaded decisions he's made? My question is, and keep in mind I do not watch college football so my knowledge of Meyer is limited, but why does everyone think he would be a good NFL coach? From the sounds of it college HCs just recruit good players and good player often go to good colleges because...well it's a good school that can advance their careers in the NFL. If that's the case how is it even comparable to what an NFL hc does? I mean I would say that a College HC would make a better NFL GM than HC...

NFL GM's have to be able to evaluate talent, college coaches just have to be able to collect it. They get double the number of players compared to an NFL roster. They just sign every highly talked recruit they can and then just play the ones that seem to be the best in practices.

So the College HC is nothing like the NFL HC except the titles?

If Meyer goes, Baalke better go too. They're both responsible for this mess.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-21-2021, 05:33 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:25 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: NFL GM's have to be able to evaluate talent, college coaches just have to be able to collect it. They get double the number of players compared to an NFL roster. They just sign every highly talked recruit they can and then just play the ones that seem to be the best in practices.

So the College HC is nothing like the NFL HC except the titles?

They're nothing alike, but the post you're replying to is specifically about how college coach compares to NFL GM.

(11-21-2021, 05:44 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:33 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: So the College HC is nothing like the NFL HC except the titles?

They're nothing alike, but the post you're replying to is specifically about how college coach compares to NFL GM.

I'm the one who made the post....

My point was, with what limited knowledge I have of the college game, even I can see that just because you were a good College HC doesn't mean you will be a good NFL hc. The question I was asking is, what made the people who wanted Meyer as HC think he would be a good HC?

(11-21-2021, 05:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: To play devils advocate,  Urban's 1sT round draft pick offensive weapon went down in camp, so we haven't really gotten to see his overall vision for the offense.

You're using it as an excuse when what it really should have been was a gigantic red flag that we used a 1st round pick on a part time 'offensive weapon' aka running back. One red flag of literally over a dozen probably getting on two dozen thus far.

The Florida job is actually perfect for Urban
Think about the candidates lined up to work with TL and a top 4 pick in their back pocket and plenty of cap room.

If we are going to point fingers on offense, I have to imagine Baalke, Urban, and Bevell are accountable as a group as far as personnel are concerned.
That is unless someone on this board has been in the meetings where those things are decided. Remember this last off season Urban was caught by surprise as his recruiting methods didn't work in acquiring personnel. That's a mistake he hopefully will not make this year.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-21-2021, 05:19 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The first thing this team needs is a dominant, WR1, along with a clone of Josh Allen. Then go get entire new secondary. Griffin and Jenkins were supposed to be good signings but they have turned out to be duds. Campbell is a squat CB and he’s looking like bench material or a nickel.

Blame it on Meyer if you want, but if he was fired tomorrow we would still have the same players.

How about it's not only about "we have player x y or z". How about it's the boneheaded penalties? What about the boneheaded decisions he's made? My question is, and keep in mind I do not watch college football so my knowledge of Meyer is limited, but why does everyone think he would be a good NFL coach? From the sounds of it college HCs just recruit good players and good player often go to good colleges because...well it's a good school that can advance their careers in the NFL. If that's the case how is it even comparable to what an NFL hc does? I mean I would say that a College HC would make a better NFL GM than HC...

I agree that being a good college HC doesn't mean you will be a good NFL HC.  I do think that success in college football is mostly about recruiting.  Even to the extent that it is about X's and O's, I think there are major differences between the two games.  What works in one won't necessarily work in the other.  Why do so many successful college QB's fail in the NFL?  Because it's a different game.  To be a successful NFL coach, you need to know the NFL game.

I disagree that a college HC would make a good NFL GM.  First, as stated earlier, it's a different game.  What works in college doesn't necessarily work in NFL.  An NFL GM needs to know the NFL game and which players will excel at that level.  Second, in college, the HC being a good "salesman" is very helpful in obtaining recruits.  In the NFL, it means very little.  Players mostly either go to the team that pays them the most or the team that drafts them.  Third, in college, the HC doesn't have to balance one position versus another.  In college, the HC can go after the best offensive tackle and if he won't come, he goes after the next best and then the next best, etc.  The same for every other position.  In the NFL, you have to decide whether a certain offensive tackle is more important a certain running back to select in the draft or go after in free agency.  It's an important skill needed by an NFL GM which is non-existent in college football.  Fourth, college coaches don't have to manage the salary cap and make decisions about the dollar value of players.  It's another important skill needed by an NFL GM which is also non-existent in college football.

(11-22-2021, 12:18 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:19 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: How about it's not only about "we have player x y or z". How about it's the boneheaded penalties? What about the boneheaded decisions he's made? My question is, and keep in mind I do not watch college football so my knowledge of Meyer is limited, but why does everyone think he would be a good NFL coach? From the sounds of it college HCs just recruit good players and good player often go to good colleges because...well it's a good school that can advance their careers in the NFL. If that's the case how is it even comparable to what an NFL hc does? I mean I would say that a College HC would make a better NFL GM than HC...

I agree that being a good college HC doesn't mean you will be a good NFL HC.  I do think that success in college football is mostly about recruiting.  Even to the extent that it is about X's and O's, I think there are major differences between the two games.  What works in one won't necessarily work in the other.  Why do so many successful college QB's fail in the NFL?  Because it's a different game.  To be a successful NFL coach, you need to know the NFL game.

I disagree that a college HC would make a good NFL GM.  First, as stated earlier, it's a different game.  What works in college doesn't necessarily work in NFL.  An NFL GM needs to know the NFL game and which players will excel at that level.  Second, in college, the HC being a good "salesman" is very helpful in obtaining recruits.  In the NFL, it means very little.  Players mostly either go to the team that pays them the most or the team that drafts them.  Third, in college, the HC doesn't have to balance one position versus another.  In college, the HC can go after the best offensive tackle and if he won't come, he goes after the next best and then the next best, etc.  The same for every other position.  In the NFL, you have to decide whether a certain offensive tackle is more important a certain running back to select in the draft or go after in free agency.  It's an important skill needed by an NFL GM which is non-existent in college football.  Fourth, college coaches don't have to manage the salary cap and make decisions about the dollar value of players.  It's another important skill needed by an NFL GM which is also non-existent in college football.

I think the NFL is also about recruiting, the difference is you have to be smarter than the rest with your picks instead of just having any option you want because of your name.

(11-21-2021, 05:50 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:44 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: They're nothing alike, but the post you're replying to is specifically about how college coach compares to NFL GM.

My point was, with what limited knowledge I have of the college game, even I can see that just because you were a good College HC doesn't mean you will be a good NFL hc. The question I was asking is, what made the people who wanted Meyer as HC think he would be a good HC?

People who liked Meyer didn't understand that coaching college football and coaching NFL football are very different things.  They thought coaching football was coaching football.  They didn't look at the track record of coaches with no NFL experience.  If pressed, they would often cite Pete Carroll as their example, but not realizing that he had extensive NFL experience before joining the Seahawks including having been head coach of two different NFL teams.  Some would also cite Jimmy Johnson.  Ok, he's a legitimate example, but they were having to go back almost 3 decades to find their exception.

This could happen, it probably should happen. Everyone wins here. The Jags can start over with a new coach yet again, and Meyer can go back to the place where he had his greatest success. And no one would would be calling him the latest failure of a college coach who tried to attain success in the NFL and failed, or the next Saban, because its the Jaguars, the losingest franchise in the last 10 yrs, and one of the losingest cultures in sports history. He'd get a pass, and go on happily coaching CFB, and most likely quite well. Why tarnish your rep any further?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 02:22 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-22-2021, 12:34 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:50 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I'm the one who made the post....

People who liked Meyer didn't understand that coaching college football and coaching NFL football are very different things.  They thought coaching football was coaching football.  They didn't look at the track record of coaches with no NFL experience.  If pressed, they would often cite Pete Carroll as their example, but not realizing that he had extensive NFL experience before joining the Seahawks including having been head coach of two different NFL teams.  Some would also cite Jimmy Johnson.  Ok, he's a legitimate example, but they were having to go back almost 3 decades to find their exception.

Agreed 1000%.

If Meyer goes to Florida, I'll help him pack his bags and give him cab fare from the airport.

If only we were that lucky.

We're more likely to waste 3 years of Lawrence's rookie contract/development on this trash can of a Head Coach.

(11-22-2021, 02:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote: If only we were that lucky.

We're more likely to waste 3 years of Lawrence's rookie contract/development on this trash can of a Head Coach.

If we keep Meyer and company around that long, Lawrence will be a disaster. He will be the next Jamarcus Russell, unless he gets some real coaching, real receivers and real blockers in front of him. I hope to God Khan is smart enough to set his ego aside and do what is right for the franchise. At the rate we are going, the stadium will be empty. No one wants to see an offense that goes 3 and out on every play. I'd rather watch paint dry.

(11-22-2021, 02:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 02:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote: If only we were that lucky.

If we keep Meyer and company around that long, Lawrence will be a disaster. He will be the next Jamarcus Russell, unless he gets some real coaching, real receivers and real blockers in front of him. I hope to God Khan is smart enough to set his ego aside and do what is right for the franchise. At the rate we are going, the stadium will be empty. No one wants to see an offense that goes 3 and out on every play. I'd rather watch paint dry.

TLaw is not improving as hoped.  The QB coach, Schottenheimer, is the first guy to get the bullet.  Until Lawrence show some improvement over this woeful performance then this team isn't going anywhere.  Let me be clear:  Lawrence IS NOT shooting the lights out and everyone else is letting him down.  Lawrence IS NOT performing.  He IS NOT improving.  He needs a QB coach who can fix him ASAP.

We're about to find out who the highest paid QB coach in the league is.  IT will be whoever replaces Schottenheimer to deal with this:

Quote:He is still working to read defenses and get through his progressions and ranks 29th in the NFL against zone defenses (clustered with Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Fields and Sam Darnold), with two touchdowns, five interceptions and a rating of 77.9. Not surprisingly, he is facing zone looks on 71% of his dropbacks. Making adjustments to the blitz has also been a problem for him and the Jaguars as well (Lawrence ranks 32nd in the NFL when blitzed, completing just 44% of his passes with a rating of 54.9). The scope of the offense is constricting, with Lawrence relying almost exclusively on running backs and tight ends in the passing game lately, with receivers not getting the ball since veteran Marvin Jones went down.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...offseason/

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 10:38 AM by Mikey.)

(11-21-2021, 04:58 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I'm as upset as everyone else but let's not get it twisted. No coach can save this roster. Offense sucks unbelievably lately

on the other side of the coin, though, no coach can do the same damage to the roster as Urbz, either.

at least last year we had the excuse of not having any potential to justify the losses. This year, we frittered away so much in cap room, draft capital, management changes and have not a thing to show for it besides a QB who is probably going to jump ship at the first opportunity to escape the toxic infection of losing that plagues the franchise.

Fans, players, and the league deserve better.

(11-21-2021, 05:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Bill Belichek and Vince Lombardi couldn’t do any better with this roster. Relax

Meyer basically gets a pass this year and probably next.

Would Belichick and Lombardi done the same to this roster to begin with?

I doubt either would have taken an RB/offensive weapon at 25 with as many holes as we had to fill. I doubt they would have kept rooks on the bench for over half a season while the team continued to lay eggs on the field.

And I will say that these two coaches absolutely excel in the very argument against your statement - they schemed to their strengths, and beat you by doing what they did best. They led, and their players followed in lockstep. Do you believe any of that is happening under our current regime?

(11-21-2021, 05:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Urban MADE this roster what it is and can't  coach it out of a wet paper bag to save his life. 
He had ample opportunity to improve what he inherited, but he made it less competitive instead.

To play devils advocate,  Urban's 1sT round draft pick offensive weapon went down in camp, so we haven't really gotten to see his overall vision for the offense.

if your entire offense hinges on one player and that isn't a QB, you're doomed to fail in this league.

(11-21-2021, 04:04 PM)Jagswillwin Wrote: Why not? 

Easy escape since half of the Jags fanbase are Gators and will cheer the move!

HE LOVES RECRUITING!

As much as I want him gone I don't want him back in Gainesville.
I was definitely joking when I suggested this earlier in the year.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 10:57 AM by Mikey.)

(11-21-2021, 05:50 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:44 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: They're nothing alike, but the post you're replying to is specifically about how college coach compares to NFL GM.

BCS trophies?
Old pictures of him wearing blue and orange polos?
He wasn't named Doug Marrone?

I dunno.

(11-21-2021, 05:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Florida job is actually perfect for Urban
Think about the candidates lined up to work with TL and a top 4 pick in their back pocket and plenty of cap room.

wasn't this the same prospect we faced last year? How'd that work out?
Confused