Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the 49ers Game

(11-22-2021, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 06:43 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Not the biggest fan of Urban Meyer but watching this team play it's hard to think any coach would get much out of this team. Assuming Urban Meyer did the GMs job during the draft/free agency than I would tend to agree with you that he's a problem. But it's with personel more than anything and given Balkes draft history and the way we approached the draft it felt more like he was the guy calling the shots.
Then why does the NFL even have head coaches if they don't even matter that much?

This is such a bad excuse for bad coaching. Sanjay Lal is terrible. Warhop is terrible. Urban is terrible. Cullen is the only respectable one out of the bunch.

And Urban is 100% calling the shots when it comes to player acquisition.

Hell, even Marrone got 16 wins out of Bortles. 

Urban is in over his head. People want to blame bevell and sure I can buy he’s a bad coordinator but urban clearly can see what they’re doing on offense isn’t working and it’s his job to lead and mold the team in his vision. So split hairs all you want, he’s a terrible HC. 

I’m honestly shocked this team has two wins

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Stop giving this franchise failure excuses. You honestly believe Trevor is allowed to change a play? Check out or change anything? The head coach said he wasn't comfortable running a QB keeper. Do we really think the guy that bought in a summer circus and a fake QB competition is going to turn it around?

It is so tough watching every positive get ruined by this franchise. Since this owner took over

* gutted the team and did a full rebuild when that is never done and we proved that it doesn't work.
* finally pulled the trigger on a QB and they select a guy that struggled to throw the football. Pick 6 machine
* finally put together a dominate defense and we kept Noone and flushed it all away for draft picks that were blown
* gain momentum after an injury to the free agent QB and then unceremoniously bench him for the injured guys return
* finally draft first overall get some hope and then absolutely do nothing to acquire talent around the pick

Seriously it is so depressing and here we are on the treadmill of doom
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Tough game yesterday. On par with the miserable effort we saw in Seattle, only this was at home against a west coast opponent traveling on a short week.

There are no excuses for how unprepared the team is offensively.

Lack of talent around Trevor is a major issue that the current regime failed to address. Losing Chark hurt more than we realized it might. What marginal attention he demanded from opponents helped our remaining lackluster receivers considerably.
With absolutely no one commanding that respect, Trevor is in a vast ocean of blanketed targets while facing quick pressure all the while.
It is the worst case scenario for a rookie QB and it is affecting his performance and his development.  Major changes required in the offseason.
( I thought protection upgrades and a good TE were all we needed back in March, but clearly we needed even more than that and we got none of it)

The defense were decimated by injury, but even prior to that were caught flat-footed many times. Cullen got pencil-whipped and his players fell for simple smoke and mirrors to get out of position.

Special teams again completed the trifecta of suck with their own gaffs just to ensure the cherry on top of the crap-sandwich we were served. 

FIXES?

There really aren't any that will have enough positive effect to change the course, but OC Bevell certainly could get smarter by dialing up more rub routes and quick hit passes. I saw 2 or 3 well designed quick hit pass plays yesterday.  He'd be wise to try installing a half dozen more with a variation or two over the remaining weeks of the season. The few they already have are on tape and are being well defended more often than not. That page of the book needs to grow ASAP.
 With Robinson banged up, Bevell's going to need a bunch of that stuff to move the sticks. 

Defensively - well, they are down to all back-ups in the secondary. So - They'll need to keep blitzing, but analyze tape on which blitzes are being taken advantage of the most with quick passes and try to adjust.

(11-21-2021, 05:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Usually, I record the games and during the offseason, I will watch them to take the edge off of my football withdrawal.  I didn't record it today, but if I did, I could think of several better uses for it, including as a coaster or a cure for insomnia.  Good gravy what an ugly game.  I almost wish I had done yard work.

My thoughts:

2.  The refs did not cost us this game by any stretch, but I think it's telling that the one enforceable penalty called against the 49ers didn't come until 3:54 left IN THE GAME.  Between this game, the Cleveland and AFC CG in 2017, the Packers game of 2016 (?), there are way too many games of gross officiating imbalance against the Jaguars.  Part of that is the Jaguars doing...I get it.  But when Bosa clearly jumps offsides, call the freaking penalty.  
I agree with basically everything you said, only comments are on your second thought.  I agree that there have been too many games where the officiating/penalty imbalance was so bad that it makes you wonder.  I just don't know if it's an unconscious bias by the referees, that they come into the game knowing that the Jags are the worst team in the league so penalties get called on us that wouldn't get called on other teams?  If there's a penalty that could go either way, or if it's a borderline type of penalty - they call it against us because in their minds, we have to commit penalties in order to compete.

As far as calling Bosa offsides on that play, if he jumps across the line and doesn't make any contact - he's free to get back onside.  Not that I would expect it from Taylor, but in that situation he has to get up out of his stance to force the call - if an O-Lineman jumps due to a D-Lineman coming across the line, then that penalty is on the defense.  Heck, even Bartch could have done that as well - I just don't think they can call that if the WR on the other side of the field moves...

afraid we're just going to get worse every week.
the win over Buffalo was our high point and a fluke.  Sad
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-22-2021, 11:26 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 09:39 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Then why does the NFL even have head coaches if they don't even matter that much?

This is such a bad excuse for bad coaching. Sanjay Lal is terrible. Warhop is terrible. Urban is terrible. Cullen is the only respectable one out of the bunch.

And Urban is 100% calling the shots when it comes to player acquisition.

Hell, even Marrone got 16 wins out of Bortles. 

Urban is in over his head. People want to blame bevell and sure I can buy he’s a bad coordinator but urban clearly can see what they’re doing on offense isn’t working and it’s his job to lead and mold the team in his vision. So split hairs all you want, he’s a terrible HC. 

I’m honestly shocked this team has two wins

It's so funny how many fans were unhappy with the team and staff from 2016-2019... Fire this guy replace this guy!

And we've just gotten worse and worse somehow.
Our two wins are pretty fluky. Bills have one of their worst games ever while our defense played better than any other game this week and we get 1 lucky kick in London

(11-22-2021, 01:03 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 05:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Usually, I record the games and during the offseason, I will watch them to take the edge off of my football withdrawal.  I didn't record it today, but if I did, I could think of several better uses for it, including as a coaster or a cure for insomnia.  Good gravy what an ugly game.  I almost wish I had done yard work.

My thoughts:

2.  The refs did not cost us this game by any stretch, but I think it's telling that the one enforceable penalty called against the 49ers didn't come until 3:54 left IN THE GAME.  Between this game, the Cleveland and AFC CG in 2017, the Packers game of 2016 (?), there are way too many games of gross officiating imbalance against the Jaguars.  Part of that is the Jaguars doing...I get it.  But when Bosa clearly jumps offsides, call the freaking penalty.  
I agree with basically everything you said, only comments are on your second thought.  I agree that there have been too many games where the officiating/penalty imbalance was so bad that it makes you wonder.  I just don't know if it's an unconscious bias by the referees, that they come into the game knowing that the Jags are the worst team in the league so penalties get called on us that wouldn't get called on other teams?  If there's a penalty that could go either way, or if it's a borderline type of penalty - they call it against us because in their minds, we have to commit penalties in order to compete.

As far as calling Bosa offsides on that play, if he jumps across the line and doesn't make any contact - he's free to get back on-side.  Not that I would expect it from Taylor, but in that situation he has to get up out of his stance to force the call - if an O-Lineman jumps due to a D-Lineman coming across the line, then that penalty is on the defense.  Heck, even Bartch could have done that as well - I just don't think they can call that if the WR on the other side of the field moves...

In regards to the offsides non-call, from my understanding of the rules, this is actually the correct call.  A defensive player can jump offsides and get back and it is not penalty unless certain things occur.  If he touches the offensive player, it is blown dead.  That didn't happen.  If he has an unimpeded path to the quarterback, it is blown dead.  That didn't happen.  The ref will also blow it dead if the defender causes an offensive player in close proximity to react to defend himself against impending contact.  I think this is the part that is confusing people.  Yes, Bosa caused the WR to move, but he was on the outside and nowhere near Bosa.  The wide receiver was not in close proximity and was not protecting himself from Bosa.  As such, this was actually the right call by the refs.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 02:48 PM by TheDuke007. Edited 5 times in total.)

(11-22-2021, 08:46 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: It is funny to call me out by bringing up last year. Yeah I watched. I have been watching since 1996. The only reason I missed the 1995 season was because I was forward deployed for the year and we didn't have all the resources we do now.

Last year's team was awful and meandering but the one win was well played and executed. Miami and Buffalo gave those games away. Look at the scores last year, they actual put up points. This is a regressing team.

I do understand the injuries and their impact but come on watch the team. Khan is not a good owner.

Yes, I agree.  Last year was obviously awful, but I would point that although the team only won one game, some seem to forget that the Jaguars did have some close games last year.  They lost one game by a field goal in overtime.  They lost another game by 2 points.  They lost another game by 2 points.  They lost another game by 3 points.  They lost another game by 4 points and that was on the road against a team that finished the year with a record of 13-3.  Although this year's team has won one extra game, only one of their losses has been within a field goal and only one other was even within single digits.  Yes, that's 6 out of 8 losses this year being by double digits.  This lack of significant improvement is completely unacceptable given the resources available to Meyer this offseason (5 drafts picks in the top 65 and more salary cap space than any other team in the league.)