Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mickens is back

Jaydon Mickens is back!

He’s certainly not anyone who’s going to light it up but always loved his determination.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/11...ice-squad/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like his determination as well. He slept in his car to get a roster spot with the Jags. He has a SB ring now after playing with the Bucs. Good for him.

Boom! We are back in the playoff hunt!

I thought he was a decent backup who provided a spark on occasion. Don't know if it'll help this receiver group much. Keelan Cole though no world beater would surely be welcomed on this squad!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-24-2021, 08:47 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: Jaydon Mickens is back!

He’s certainly not anyone who’s going to light it up but always loved his determination.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/11...ice-squad/

He'll probably carry the load in the return game.

I'm more interested to see how we address Agnew's absence on offense. As they say, help is not on the way.

With Agnew on IR, and Austin fumbling, Mickens will be a welcome addition to the return role.

Needed a returner.

PS poaching one that has been here before isn't the worst way to fill the spot, I guess.

I remember the Jags moved on from him after a rash of poor decisions about which balls to fair catch or return, and some hesitancy to go north and south vs dancing laterally for too long, but he's proven himself a capable returner. And we don't really have any returner options left but Claybrooks who is either going to start or be a primary backup in the secondary after multiple injuries.

Anyone else remember how in August we were excited about all the depth at DB?
What a cruel joke that turned out to be!

(11-24-2021, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Needed a returner.

PS poaching one that has been here before isn't the worst way to fill the spot, I guess.

I remember the Jags moved on from him after a rash of poor decisions about which balls to fair catch or return, and some hesitancy to go north and south vs dancing laterally for too long, but he's proven himself a capable returner.  And we don't really have any returner options left but Claybrooks who is either going to start or be a primary backup in the secondary after multiple injuries.

This entire franchise is a cruel joke right now.

(11-24-2021, 10:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I remember the Jags moved on from him after a rash of poor decisions about which balls to fair catch or return, and some hesitancy to go north and south vs dancing laterally for too long, but he's proven himself a capable returner.  And we don't really have any returner options left but Claybrooks who is either going to start or be a primary backup in the secondary after multiple injuries.

You're right.

Laughing to keep from crying is my only defense.

(11-24-2021, 10:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I was gonna say that's too harsh but, unfortunately, you are right.

I always liked Mickens.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

he may not run the best routes but he always had great hands and made some hard catches from not so great QBs, and he can return punts which is what we need with agnew out.

Our wrs drop everything. Anyone who can maybe catch would be unbelievable

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2021, 06:37 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-25-2021, 07:34 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Our wrs drop everything. Anyone who can maybe catch would be unbelievable

It's pretty bad. This team has not had a true number one receiver since the days of Jimmy Smith. They need to be looking at every possible angle in the off season to improve that position. Bring back Allen Robinson if Chicago doesn't maintain him. If Green Bay is crazy enough to let Davante Adams walk you offer him a top flight contract and don't even blink or lose sleep over it. Mike Williams from the Chargers could be ideal if they can't keep him. 

They have to do something. My concern is that they'll finish bad enough to not warrant spending a top three pick on a WR in the draft. Which is fair. However, they won't be in a position to grab a WR that they could ultimately really use on this team next year. Hoping they can somehow trade down. Cited it in another thread already. 

They need to try and get a combination of a big body target with great hands like Treylon Burks out of Arkansas, David Bell out of Purdue, Justyn Ross out of Clemson or Jameson Williams out of Alabama along with a small, shifty, slot type of receiver between Jahan Dotson out of Penn State, Ainias Smith out of Texas A&M or Kyle Philips out of UCLA. 

Dan Arnold has potential here as a TE too. They need to get him another reliable target there though. Trey McBride out of Colorado St., Jake Ferguson out of Wisconsi or Grant Calcaterra out of SMU would be ideal.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-26-2021, 06:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 07:34 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Our wrs drop everything. Anyone who can maybe catch would be unbelievable

It's pretty bad. This team has not had a true number one receiver since the days of Jimmy Smith. They need to be looking at every possible angle in the off season to improve that position. Bring back Allen Robinson if Chicago doesn't maintain him. If Green Bay is crazy enough to let Davante Adams walk you offer him a top flight contract and don't even blink or lose sleep over it. Mike Williams from the Chargers could be ideal if they can't keep him. 

They have to do something. My concern is that they'll finish bad enough to not warrant spending a top three pick on a WR in the draft. Which is fair. However, they won't be in a position to grab a WR that they could ultimately really use on this team next year. Hoping they can somehow trade down. Cited it in another thread already. 

They need to try and get a combination of a big body target with great hands like Treylon Burks out of Arkansas, David Bell out of Purdue, Justyn Ross out of Clemson or Jameson Williams out of Alabama along with a small, shifty, slot type of receiver between Jahan Dotson out of Penn State, Ainias Smith out of Texas A&M or Kyle Philips out of UCLA. 

Dan Arnold has potential here as a TE too. They need to get him another reliable target there though. Trey McBride out of Colorado St., Jake Ferguson out of Wisconsi or Grant Calcaterra out of SMU would be ideal.

Do you have any confidence that this outfit is using any talent we actually have here appropriately?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2021, 02:34 PM by americus 2.0.)

(11-26-2021, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 06:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's pretty bad. This team has not had a true number one receiver since the days of Jimmy Smith. They need to be looking at every possible angle in the off season to improve that position. Bring back Allen Robinson if Chicago doesn't maintain him. If Green Bay is crazy enough to let Davante Adams walk you offer him a top flight contract and don't even blink or lose sleep over it. Mike Williams from the Chargers could be ideal if they can't keep him. 

Do you have any confidence that this outfit is using any talent we actually have here appropriately?

That is a solid "No" from me. I have no confidence in this outfit to do anything that will make this team better. I know it takes time for new personnel and new players to adjust to each other and gel with the team already in place but I see no evidence outside of drafting TL that these people know what they're doing. For Urban nepotism gets in the way of making solid choices for the TEAM. It seems to be all about him and that's why we will fail.

#urbandecay

(11-25-2021, 03:25 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: I always liked Mickens.

He was an exciting kick returner. He should do a good job filling the void left by Agnew's injury. This is not to say that he solves the problem at the receiver position, but I do believe he will contribute something to this depleted group.

(11-26-2021, 03:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 03:25 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: I always liked Mickens.

He was an exciting kick returner. He should do a good job filling the void left by Agnew's injury. This is not to say that he solves the problem at the receiver position, but I do believe he will contribute something to this depleted group.

He had his moments as a receiver too. He's not a legit starter but he can create a spark if they don't lean on him to do to much. At this point, we need all the help we can get.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2021, 07:04 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-26-2021, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 06:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's pretty bad. This team has not had a true number one receiver since the days of Jimmy Smith. They need to be looking at every possible angle in the off season to improve that position. Bring back Allen Robinson if Chicago doesn't maintain him. If Green Bay is crazy enough to let Davante Adams walk you offer him a top flight contract and don't even blink or lose sleep over it. Mike Williams from the Chargers could be ideal if they can't keep him. 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29881dffd325baa409f6...=giphy.gif]

They cannot create an identity on offense. They have yet to consistently show anything substantial other than the fact that they're consistently inconsistent with their weekly attack on offense. They're severely depleted at the receiver position. I still don't see anything out there that's considered a driver starter for Lawrence. 

When you watch a lot of these other football teams. Especially the successful teams on offense. You will see a trend and it's glaringly obvious. I don't care if it's predictable at times or if a defense can stop it here and there. The bottom line is that you're still seeing a identity being established by clearly playing up to your best players strengths on offense. 

LaMar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen and Kyle Murray can run, they can make impactful plays on the run and they're not afraid to run downfield. You don't see their coordinators shying away from this fact out on the football field. They're involved in a wide variety of ways that includes either straight up running it, having the option to run it, using the fact that they can run it as apart of the passing game to make a defense think and spring a player open deep downfield or over the middle, and they do it effectively. 

I keep saying this. I'll keep saying it. You're going to have to trust this kid to play to his strengths. The RPO, the Spread? That's apart of his game. They need to incorporate it more moving forward. One of the best games this team managed to piece together offensively was on TNF against the Bengals and it heavily featured the RPO and Spread. Lawrence had his best game completion percentage wise, he was able to run one into the end zone and he was clearly getting fired up. They were one or two bad play calls away or decisions from potentially winning that game. 

You have to let this kid play to his strengths and utilize the personnel around him to further enhance those strengths. Which is baffling to me that they haven't done this already when you consider that Shenault is NOT a 4.3 deep threat. He's a short catch, YAC receiver that likes contact. You need to Lawrence moving around on bootleg's and using misdirection to get Shenault in a favorable match-up early and often to where he can take a 3 yard out and turn it up field for a major gain.

That would eventually allow Jones to get deep here and there for a later deep shot down the road in the game. You could also get Arnold more involved in that same type of action because he's just quick enough to beat LB's but doesn't have that crazy speed to stretch a field. I see a poor man's George Kittle when I look at Dan Arnold and if they would just let Lawrence PLAY and use his damn LEGS they could at least keep a defense guessing to free up some of these underneath plays. 

The lack of screens and swings to James Robinson has been a major, major buzzkill for me as a fan this year. They did it in the Arizona game and then it all but disappeared since then. I cited this in other threads. When your personnel is lacking. That's when and where your coaching staff is supposed to earn their paychecks and get creative and maximize what they have. They keep doing the same nonsense over and over. 

At some point Meyer needs to take over the game and take over the play calling. The amount of indifference and grumblings that keeps getting reported out by the MSM about the coaching staff butting heads is never a good sign. They're not on the same page and the players are suffering for it more than anybody. As well as the fan base.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-26-2021, 07:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 09:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Do you have any confidence that this outfit is using any talent we actually have here appropriately?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29881dffd325baa409f6...=giphy.gif]

They cannot create an identity on offense. They have yet to consistently show anything substantial other than the fact that they're consistently inconsistent with their weekly attack on offense. They're severely depleted at the receiver position. I still don't see anything out there that's considered a driver starter for Lawrence. 

When you watch a lot of these other football teams. Especially the successful teams on offense. You will see a trend and it's glaringly obvious. I don't care if it's predictable at times or if a defense can stop it here and there. The bottom line is that you're still seeing a identity being established by clearly playing up to your best players strengths on offense. 

LaMar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen and Kyle Murray can run, they can make impactful plays on the run and they're not afraid to run downfield. You don't see their coordinators shying away from this fact out on the football field. They're involved in a wide variety of ways that includes either straight up running it, having the option to run it, using the fact that they can run it as apart of the passing game to make a defense think and spring a player open deep downfield or over the middle, and they do it effectively. 

I keep saying this. I'll keep saying it. You're going to have to trust this kid to play to his strengths. The RPO, the Spread? That's apart of his game. They need to incorporate it more moving forward. One of the best games this team managed to piece together offensively was on TNF against the Bengals and it heavily featured the RPO and Spread. Lawrence had his best game completion percentage wise, he was able to run one into the end zone and he was clearly getting fired up. They were one or two bad play calls away or decisions from potentially winning that game. 

You have to let this kid play to his strengths and utilize the personnel around him to further enhance those strengths. Which is baffling to me that they haven't done this already when you consider that Shenault is NOT a 4.3 deep threat. He's a short catch, YAC receiver that likes contact. You need to Lawrence moving around on bootleg's and using misdirection to get Shenault in a favorable match-up early and often to where he can take a 3 yard out and turn it up field for a major gain.

That would eventually allow Jones to get deep here and there for a later deep shot down the road in the game. You could also get Arnold more involved in that same type of action because he's just quick enough to beat LB's but doesn't have that crazy speed to stretch a field. I see a poor man's George Kittle when I look at Dan Arnold and if they would just let Lawrence PLAY and use his damn LEGS they could at least keep a defense guessing to free up some of these underneath plays. 

The lack of screens and swings to James Robinson has been a major, major buzzkill for me as a fan this year. They did it in the Arizona game and then it all but disappeared since then. I cited this in other threads. When your personnel is lacking. That's when and where your coaching staff is supposed to earn their paychecks and get creative and maximize what they have. They keep doing the same nonsense over and over. 

At some point Meyer needs to take over the game and take over the play calling. The amount of indifference and grumblings that keeps getting reported out by the MSM about the coaching staff butting heads is never a good sign. They're not on the same page and the players are suffering for it more than anybody. As well as the fan base.

Meyer isnt a play caller, he's a figurehead.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato