Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Questions

I would go after Joe Horitz and Greg Roman from Baltimore and not lose any sleep over it.

Could also have a link to Jim Caldwell through Joe Horitz if Greg Roman is not ready for the job.

I would also look at Will McClay and Kellen Moore from Dallas for the same ideas in mind.

Team ultimately needs an offensive minded football coach that can develop any quarterback play style wise while also showing a steady degree of progression and creativity that suits today's game.

Joe and Will have also been in great scouting departments, war rooms, on the road and know what they need personnel wise to make these offenses work for their coaches.

They clearly come from teams with a recent history of finding talent high and low while building around the QB position. Proven success in the NFL.

Khan needs to get moving in the weeks to come. Still think he messed up holding onto Marrone and Caldwell an extra year after Coughlin was removed. Was high on Stefanski before Cleveland landed him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-12-2021, 08:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 08:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm definitely not a fan of Ju-Ju Smith Schuster or Dionte Johnson, so that doesn't really sway my vote. Smith-Schuster is an average receiver with maturity issues and Johnson is fast, but has some of the worst hands in the NFL. He had 15 drops in 2020. 

I didn't say I would hire Daboll, but I do think he warrants an interview. Something I have learned over the last few years is never to assume someone is right for the job just by reputation. You need to actually talk to them to make sure they aren't a jerk who would create a cancerous environment within the team. Personality is an important trait to creating a winning culture. You need someone who can be tough when they have to be, fair in everything and personable, so players don't hate him. I don't care if we interview someone from every team in the NFL, as long as we hire the right people.

To be clear, I never asserted Daboll did not warrant a interview, only that I have some misgivings about his approach to the running game.  From a QB development standpoint, given his exemplary work with Josh Allen, he certainly warrants an interview.

As for the Steelers WRs...JSS is a capable slot WR, which is more than I can say for Shenault.  Dionte Johnson does have issues with his hands, but he makes enough plays to where he represents vast improvement over our current group of healthy WRs. 

But I agree completely with your closing sentence.  I absolutely agree.  But I think Baalke needs to go.  I think he would hinder our coaching search, not only because of his reputed abrasive personality, but because I don't think many NFL guys would trust him to get the players needed to win.

At this point, I question if Laviska Shenault would even make the roster of an after school, flag football team. It almost looks like he's drunk at times. 

Agreed 100% on Baalke. I'm starting to wonder about Khan as a human being, if Baalke and Meyer are the types of people he considers friends. They all seem like ego-maniacs to me with biting personalities. They don't seem like a fun group of guys. If I were to find out any of the guys on my list of candidates had those personality traits, they would immediately be eliminated from the running.

(12-12-2021, 05:35 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 10:09 AM)Mikey Wrote: Had Pederson not tanked the last game, he might have been in the running, but I have a feeling that negative press was an instant deal breaker for Shad. Pederson needed some time away for that subject to die down.

I said from day one hiring the coach before the GM was a bad move (it may be working in CLE, they hired Stefanski first, but exceptions do not always make a new rule), and especially with the tools that we had, it almost mandated that we bring in someone familiar with scouting, draft, development, and FA acquisition. We did the very opposite, and have dookie to show for our headline-grabbing hire.

Let's say you were/ are right. Who would you have preferred as GM? Which HC would you have preferred?

No idea if I had a GM candidate in mind, but in-house default was not on the radar at all. For HC, I was looking to Daboll, Bienemy or someone else well versed in both NFL talent and QB/offensive development. I would have even settled for a prior coach like Garrett.

Heck, once we got rid of Todd Wash I assumed the rest was gravy. Boy was I wrong.

(12-13-2021, 12:43 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 05:35 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Let's say you were/ are right. Who would you have preferred as GM? Which HC would you have preferred?

No idea if I had a GM candidate in mind, but in-house default was not on the radar at all. For HC, I was looking to Daboll, Bienemy or someone else well versed in both NFL talent and QB/offensive development. I would have even settled for a prior coach like Garrett.

Heck, once we got rid of Todd Wash I assumed the rest was gravy. Boy was I wrong.

Wasn't sold on Bienemy, still not, but I think he would have done better than Urbz has. And I agree on GM, noone from inhouse. In fact woulda replaced the entire front office but that would not have been realistic. Let the new GM replace the front office, especially the scouts

(12-13-2021, 01:28 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 12:43 PM)Mikey Wrote: No idea if I had a GM candidate in mind, but in-house default was not on the radar at all. For HC, I was looking to Daboll, Bienemy or someone else well versed in both NFL talent and QB/offensive development. I would have even settled for a prior coach like Garrett.

Wasn't sold on Bienemy, still not, but I think he would have done better than Urbz has. And I agree on GM, noone from inhouse. In fact woulda replaced the entire front office but that would not have been realistic. Let the new GM replace the front office, especially the scouts

At this point, ANYONE is better than the combination of Baalke and Meyer.

(12-13-2021, 02:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 01:28 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Wasn't sold on Bienemy, still not, but I think he would have done better than Urbz has. And I agree on GM, noone from inhouse. In fact woulda replaced the entire front office but that would not have been realistic. Let the new GM replace the front office, especially the scouts

At this point, ANYONE is better than the combination of Baalke and Meyer.

Laughing OK I give you that one

(12-12-2021, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 08:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: To be clear, I never asserted Daboll did not warrant a interview, only that I have some misgivings about his approach to the running game.  From a QB development standpoint, given his exemplary work with Josh Allen, he certainly warrants an interview.

As for the Steelers WRs...JSS is a capable slot WR, which is more than I can say for Shenault.  Dionte Johnson does have issues with his hands, but he makes enough plays to where he represents vast improvement over our current group of healthy WRs. 

But I agree completely with your closing sentence.  I absolutely agree.  But I think Baalke needs to go.  I think he would hinder our coaching search, not only because of his reputed abrasive personality, but because I don't think many NFL guys would trust him to get the players needed to win.

At this point, I question if Laviska Shenault would even make the roster of an after school, flag football team. It almost looks like he's drunk at times. 

Agreed 100% on Baalke. I'm starting to wonder about Khan as a human being, if Baalke and Meyer are the types of people he considers friends. They all seem like ego-maniacs to me with biting personalities. They don't seem like a fun group of guys. If I were to find out any of the guys on my list of candidates had those personality traits, they would immediately be eliminated from the running.
Sad part about Shenault is he was known to need work as a WR coming out of school.  It was known he had issues running routes.  But I didn't see him doing any of the bad things he is doing now like stopping on his routes.  I said this in another thread, but I blame Sanjay Lal for this.

I can't speak to whether Baalke is ego driven or not.  He could be just short tempered.  But Polian was known for his temper as well, and I'd take him over Baalke every day of the week, even with him being retired over a decade now.  Polian knew how to evaluate talent and had a much higher hit percentage than Baalke.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-14-2021, 06:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: At this point, I question if Laviska Shenault would even make the roster of an after school, flag football team. It almost looks like he's drunk at times. 

Sad part about Shenault is he was known to need work as a WR coming out of school.  It was known he had issues running routes.  But I didn't see him doing any of the bad things he is doing now like stopping on his routes.  I said this in another thread, but I blame Sanjay Lal for this.

I can't speak to whether Baalke is ego driven or not.  He could be just short tempered.  But Polian was known for his temper as well, and I'd take him over Baalke every day of the week, even with him being retired over a decade now.  Polian knew how to evaluate talent and had a much higher hit percentage than Baalke.

The thing about Shenault was that he was an unfinished product. Colorado moved him around to so many positions that he really didn't get a chance to get really good at one position. They just saw an athlete and decided to play him wherever. While that may be a good strategy in college, you're really doing the player no favors. He's missing out on reps and experience to excel at one skillset. Too many coaches are looking for "weapons" nowadays, when they should be looking for players who are very good at one position.

(12-14-2021, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-14-2021, 06:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Sad part about Shenault is he was known to need work as a WR coming out of school.  It was known he had issues running routes.  But I didn't see him doing any of the bad things he is doing now like stopping on his routes.  I said this in another thread, but I blame Sanjay Lal for this.

The thing about Shenault was that he was an unfinished product. Colorado moved him around to so many positions that he really didn't get a chance to get really good at one position. They just saw an athlete and decided to play him wherever. While that may be a good strategy in college, you're really doing the player no favors. He's missing out on reps and experience to excel at one skillset. Too many coaches are looking for "weapons" nowadays, when they should be looking for players who are very good at one position.

This only illustrates how bad UM has been.

What has UM done with Shenault?

Utilized him at different positions-most notably RB-which is particularly egregious since he refuses to utilize Robinson.

Not only does that preclude Shenault from developing as a WR, but it stops the team from using Robinson.

On a related note, Jameson Williams is on Kiper's or McShay's Big board at #6 (IIRC).

Assuming this reflects Williams' actual value, would you spend a top 6 pick on him?

What if we were picking 3rd overall and could not move back?  Would you be willing to take him at 3?

What is the lowest we could trade back and still expect to get him, in your estimation?

I definitely would take him top 6....maybe even at 3 if I could not move back.  This would certainly put me at odds with most here, since most do not believe in taking a WR early, much less top 3-6.

But I think he has the size and speed combination to excel at the position, and it would help TL tremendously.

Now the Miss. St. T Cross was in their top ten, and maybe I might take him under the right circumstances instead of Williams.  But at this point, I am only considering Williams or a LT at 3 or lower.  I am cooling on the Georgia DT because he got gassed really early in the SEC title game.

(12-14-2021, 07:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-14-2021, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The thing about Shenault was that he was an unfinished product. Colorado moved him around to so many positions that he really didn't get a chance to get really good at one position. They just saw an athlete and decided to play him wherever. While that may be a good strategy in college, you're really doing the player no favors. He's missing out on reps and experience to excel at one skillset. Too many coaches are looking for "weapons" nowadays, when they should be looking for players who are very good at one position.

Utilized him at different positions-most notably RB-which is particularly egregious since he refuses to utilize Robinson.

Not only does that preclude Shenault from developing as a WR, but it stops the team from using Robinson.

On a related note, Jameson Williams is on Kiper's or McShay's Big board at #6 (IIRC).

Assuming this reflects Williams' actual value, would you spend a top 6 pick on him?

What if we were picking 3rd overall and could not move back?  Would you be willing to take him at 3?

What is the lowest we could trade back and still expect to get him, in your estimation?

I definitely would take him top 6....maybe even at 3 if I could not move back.  This would certainly put me at odds with most here, since most do not believe in taking a WR early, much less top 3-6.

But I think he has the size and speed combination to excel at the position, and it would help TL tremendously.

Now the Miss. St. T Cross was in their top ten, and maybe I might take him under the right circumstances instead of Williams.  But at this point, I am only considering Williams or a LT at 3 or lower.  I am cooling on the Georgia DT because he got gassed really early in the SEC title game.

Totally agree. This just shows how clueless Meyer is. Robinson is the best weapon we have on this team, but for some God foresaken reason, Meyer keeps benching him and playing a washed up Carlos Hyde. I wonder if he even realizes how stupid and brainless he looks to everyone who even watches football? Is he that wrapped up in his own ego, that he is oblivious to what is obvious to everyone else? 

Right now I would easily spend a top 6 pick on Jameson Williams. I'm still locked in on Aiden Hutchinson and Kayvon Thibodeaux, but right now off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who I would rank ahead of Williams as the #3 overall player. If we somehow manage to beat the Texans and end up at #3, I would probably target Jameson Williams with that pick. A lot still has to be determined though. I'm really looking forward to the match up between Williams and the Cincinnati CB duo of Ahmad Gardner and Coby Bryant. Gardner is my #1 CB and Bryant is my #4, so I wanna see how Williams performs as a true #1 receiver with John Metchie out of action. 

Personally, I wouldn't want to trade back passed #6 overall, if we are gonna target Williams. If we go back any further, he will likely be gone. 

I still don't see an OT worthy of a first round pick. I do like Darian Kinnard of Kentucky, but he is a pure RT and I'm pretty opposed to taking OT's with hardly any starts at LT. Kinnard only has 3 starts as a LT, all the way back when he was a freshman. The guy I like quite a bit that I would target in round 3 is Max Mitchell of Louisiana. He has extensive experience at both Tackle positions, has great footwork and balance and was just voted 3rd Team AP All-American. He is the one OT in the class that I'm kinda locked in on. I also really, really like Nick Ford of Utah. He has a nasty streak and has played every position on the O-Line. This season he started at Center and has been dominant.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021, 07:28 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-14-2021, 07:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-14-2021, 07:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The thing about Shenault was that he was an unfinished product. Colorado moved him around to so many positions that he really didn't get a chance to get really good at one position. They just saw an athlete and decided to play him wherever. While that may be a good strategy in college, you're really doing the player no favors. He's missing out on reps and experience to excel at one skillset. Too many coaches are looking for "weapons" nowadays, when they should be looking for players who are very good at one position.

Note:  Williams is 10th on McShay's board.

https://youtu.be/TWb_BSb2gSA

Williams is 6th on Kiper's big board

https://youtu.be/VCEx1vQ9x6E

For what it's worth LOL, Williams is #3 on MY daft board. Now if we DO pick at 3 then the only consternation would be if Hutch or Thibs were still there. Otherwise it Williams. Not only that, I say get a wr with our 2nd pick as well..

(12-15-2021, 12:56 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: For what it's worth LOL, Williams is #3 on MY daft board. Now if we DO pick at 3 then the only consternation would be if Hutch or Thibs were still there. Otherwise it Williams. Not only that, I say get a wr with our 2nd pick  as well..

I've been doing those mock drafts on Fanspeak.com and I've been taking either Hutchinson and Thibodeaux in round 1 and going WR in round 2 (usually Jahan Dotson) and in round 3. I'm beginning to really like that strategy, depending on who is available.

(12-15-2021, 02:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 12:56 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: For what it's worth LOL, Williams is #3 on MY daft board. Now if we DO pick at 3 then the only consternation would be if Hutch or Thibs were still there. Otherwise it Williams. Not only that, I say get a wr with our 2nd pick  as well..

I've been doing those mock drafts on Fanspeak.com and I've been taking either Hutchinson and Thibodeaux in round 1 and going WR in round 2 (usually Jahan Dotson) and in round 3. I'm beginning to really like that strategy, depending on who is available.

I prefer the profootballnetwork.com mock draft simulator.  They have free trades.

(12-15-2021, 02:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Copycat

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021, 04:15 PM by DTWD4∞.)

(12-15-2021, 03:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 02:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've been doing those mock drafts on Fanspeak.com and I've been taking either Hutchinson and Thibodeaux in round 1 and going WR in round 2 (usually Jahan Dotson) and in round 3. I'm beginning to really like that strategy, depending on who is available.

Copycat

Hahaha. It’s a copycat league so as fans we get to copycat too. Right? ?

(12-15-2021, 04:14 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 03:17 PM)Upper Wrote: Copycat

Hahaha. It’s a copycat league so as fans we get to copycat too. Right?  Cool

(12-15-2021, 03:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 02:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've been doing those mock drafts on Fanspeak.com and I've been taking either Hutchinson and Thibodeaux in round 1 and going WR in round 2 (usually Jahan Dotson) and in round 3. I'm beginning to really like that strategy, depending on who is available.

Copycat

Hahaha. It’s a copycat league so as fans we get to copycat too. Right? ?

So has the draft order been released?

(12-15-2021, 07:55 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: So has the draft order been released?

No.

The complete draft order is not released until after the Super Bowl.

After the end of the regular season, the league typically announces the draft order of the teams that did not qualify for the playoffs-the first 18 picks.

The remaining 14 spots won't be known until the playoffs shake out.

If you see any mock drafts now, they are not using official draft orders, and are going based on the records of the teams at this stage.

(12-15-2021, 10:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 07:55 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: So has the draft order been released?

No.

The complete draft order is not released until after the Super Bowl.

After the end of the regular season, the league typically announces the draft order of the teams that did not qualify for the playoffs-the first 18 picks.

The remaining 14 spots won't be known until the playoffs shake out.

If you see any mock drafts now, they are not using official draft orders, and are going based on the records of the teams at this stage.

Ty mate