Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Computer people help me out!

Long story short my son is 14 now and he like many other kids his age is interested in computers and technology. Listen I’m a blue collar mechanic I don’t understand computers but I understand my oldest son.

For years I thought I’d send him to a trade school and he’d learn a blue collar skill my life would’ve been 100 times easier had someone done that for me, but as he gets older I’m seeing he probably doesn’t want to be involved in the trades work. 

So with that thought what kind of stuff can I expose him too or developmental training would be beneficial for him down the road in regards to computers. I mean he is a freshman in high school now(ugh I’m getting old) so is there a good trade school for computer careers? I always heard IT tech was a ripoff or is it like blue collar jobs you take the suck job at the start and work your way up? He’s smart but I don’t really think he’s college smart he doesn’t have a big passion for school. My daughter she’s the college student but I got some time with her. My focus is the oldest son right now.

Thanks
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m not a computer guy either. But these days, it’s tough to make a good living without college. I’d push that. Especially if he’s wanting to learn more in that field. Lots of people do well without college. I am one of them. My dad was one of them. He paid for college for two years and I was the kid that felt it was BS. I’m not talking the degree kind. It happened to work out for me. But I had help in the fact that I was arrested. Had I not been, I’d probably be making half as much I do now since I don’t have that piece of paper. My dad and I both are people that would be the first to tell someone to get the degree. Hell, he was hiring officers with Masters degrees. When all else was the same, the education was the deciding factor. It can be done. That’s my .02. Not much I can add to help. Good luck to you and your boy.

Thanks I get the degree helps in some cases I’m just trying to get information to think of other options for him. If there’s a program I can expose him to or something that’s the idea right now. If he was interested in mechanics there’s all kinds of stuff I could guide him into but that’s not him and that’s ok. My younger two sons seem more interested but they’re super young it’s just probably a dad stage with them.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 09:20 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

With all do respect, I think the degree will help more than you think. Not so much in “some cases”.   Technology  is a wide realm.  Depends on what he is into. Like you, I will also do as a father what I can to help my child to succeed. Good luck

(11-28-2021, 09:16 PM)Jags Wrote: With all do respect, I think the degree will help more than you think.  Technology  is a wide realm.  Depends on what he is into.

Interesting what are degrees in computer technology then I wonder? Most of the people I’ve talked to about that kind of work said they didn’t have a technology degree they started out in IT or something and kept learning different computer stuff to move up.

(11-28-2021, 09:20 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 09:16 PM)Jags Wrote: With all do respect, I think the degree will help more than you think.  Technology  is a wide realm.  Depends on what he is into.

Interesting what are degrees in computer technology then I wonder? Most of the people I’ve talked to about that kind of work said they didn’t have a technology degree they started out in IT or something and kept learning different computer stuff to move up.

I suppose it’ll depend on how well he does and what company he works for.  My dad was a cop. Like I said, he was hiring officers with masters degrees.  I think even one had a doctorate.   He was so good at what he did that HR even revised the posting so he was qualified to get his job. Not everyone is that lucky. He was just that damned good. That piece of paper makes a difference sometimes.  You and I and others may have played the right cards but unless you’re going into business yourself, it’s very tough for a guy or woman to succeed without that piece of paper these days.

(11-28-2021, 09:27 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 09:20 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Interesting what are degrees in computer technology then I wonder? Most of the people I’ve talked to about that kind of work said they didn’t have a technology degree they started out in IT or something and kept learning different computer stuff to move up.

I suppose it’ll depend on how well he does and what company he works for.  My dad was a cop. Like I said, he was hiring officers with masters degrees.  I think even one had a doctorate.   He was so good at what he did that HR even revised the posting so he was qualified to get his job. Not everyone is that lucky. He was just that damned good. That piece of paper makes a difference sometimes.  You and I and others may have played the right cards but unless you’re going into business yourself, it’s very tough for a guy or woman to succeed without that piece of paper these days.

Oh no I put myself through college as an adult. I was making nothing starting out in the shop I was a lube tech/service advisor making $300 a week 15 years ago. I had a family of 5 with one more on the way and I said there’s a better way. I went through Daytona state at night for a few semesters and worked the shop during the day. Left the shop for 6 months and took two part time jobs moved the family into a two bedroom duplex and rode a bicycle to work 6 miles each way to double up on classes. Finished my AA went back to working in a shop making double my wage and then took a service manager position with my current employer 4 years later. Finished my BS online through Daytona state while working for my current employer and passed my ASE certificates along the way took a promotion to a general manager and I’m working on a regional position in the future hopefully. 

So I fully support getting the paper I just don’t want my son to figure it out after he’s already started a family and do it the hard way like me.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 10:26 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don’t know you, but I’m proud of ya for doing that.  Truth be told, my dad was a mechanic. Then went to Nam, came back. Got on with a police department in Virginia then to the company he retired from.  Then got laid off and back to the same company he was a mechanic with before the war.  Then back at the company he was with again  He was lucky and good.  I was just lucky my dad was able to put us in a good area to where I can make money off the old, rich, and lazy.  I am good at my job as well. But between the two, it helped me succeed.  My wife has a similar background, put herself to school  and too became a [BLEEP] at what she does.  Oddly enough at the same company that my dad retired from.  With no help from him though.  Im sure with you’re work ethic, fatherly advice and such, he’ll do fine.  Hopefully one of these nerds on her will give some better advice!  I guess all I’m saying is school is never a bad choice.  He may not want it, but it’ll help out whether he decides a career in computers/technology or something else.

Go here and read this: https://grow.google/certificates/#?modal_active=none You don't have to send him there, but it will give you a better understanding of the various directions he could go. 

After that you need to spend time with him deciding what he's interested in, because if he's not interested he won't follow through. As you do that reference this list: https://www.roberthalf.com/blog/salaries...t-valuable to see what certs line up with his interests. The CompTIA certs are perfect for beginners, A+ and Network+ can get him started then move to company-driven programs like Microsoft, Cisco, Adobe and Oracle that all offer specific training that includes certification. 

My undergrad is Computer Science and I never worked a day in the field because I didn't enjoy the work, but I spent a lot of time on certificate programs in addition to my degree just to keep up on the trends. Then around 2008 I just dropped it entirely in favor of grad school to enhance my healthcare career where I ended up using almost all of the same skills I learned working in IT/IS. The skills are useful long term and transferrable even if he doesn't want to stay in technology for his entire career. College will certainly help if he decides to go into leadership, but the stuff here will lead to a solid career if he applies himself.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-29-2021, 01:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Go here and read this: https://grow.google/certificates/#?modal_active=none You don't have to send him there, but it will give you a better understanding of the various directions he could go. 

After that you need to spend time with him deciding what he's interested in, because if he's not interested he won't follow through. As you do that reference this list: https://www.roberthalf.com/blog/salaries...t-valuable to see what certs line up with his interests. The CompTIA certs are perfect for beginners, A+ and Network+ can get him started then move to company-driven programs like Microsoft, Cisco, Adobe and Oracle that all offer specific training that includes certification. 

My undergrad is Computer Science and I never worked a day in the field because I didn't enjoy the work, but I spent a lot of time on certificate programs in addition to my degree just to keep up on the trends. Then around 2008 I just dropped it entirely in favor of grad school to enhance my healthcare career where I ended up using almost all of the same skills I learned working in IT/IS. The skills are useful long term and transferrable even if he doesn't want to stay in technology for his entire career. College will certainly help if he decides to go into leadership, but the stuff here will lead to a solid career if he applies himself.

Thank you this is what I’m looking for I’ll start looking into it now and talking to him!

Best advice I have is to encourage him to join clubs or courses at school that will afford him opportunities to be exposed to various programs/applications of technology. There are so many things that can begin at this point - graphic design, video editing, database administration, statistical analysis, or even IT support.

And being a newb yourself, one of the best ways to foster his development is to let him teach you some of the tricks/tools he finds - learning something to the point where you can teach others is a great way to develop mastery. Encourage him along the way, and he'll find what works best.

I have a degree in secondary ed/psych with a focus in modern languages. I've spent the last 25 years working as a website admin, dialup internet support, data analyst, and many other titles that required or were greatly facilitated by (independent) learning of hardware, software, and ways to use them creatively. Never taught. Only used my language skills for (informal) translation. School isn't necessarily the way to go to achieve the goal. Sometimes fostering inquisitive nature and a desire to learn new things is enough.