Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The number 1 goal this off season

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 09:29 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

Regardless of what coaches we have or who is in the front office, the number 1 goal should be doing whatever we can to help Trevor succeed.  I usually like to build the defense but actually think our D is pretty good and with Campbell coming along and likely Cisco starting next year I think we will even be improved.  I want Hutch or Thibs but if both are gone when we pick my next 2 guys are Neal and Linderbaum. Move back a couple spots and get Linderbaum

Both could arguably be the  3rd and 4th best players in the draft.  Stingley, Hamilton , Gardner, and Davis are up there as well.  Linderbaum is PFFs highest rated center ever and mentioned him months back as every time you watch Iowa dude is dominant.  He was even the highest rated center in college football last year and is even much better this year.  Drafting Neal would likely be an automatic upgrade over Taylor and if wanted he could play 4 different positions at a high level.  With Linderbaum though we could draft him, have on of the best centers in the league for Trev and we could kick Linder to guard.  I think the 2nd will be prime position to get one of the WRs as at least 1 WR will fall with a first round grade.  

We have so many mid to late round picks we could package some up and move up in the first to get a guy we love or double dip on WR and move up from the 3rd to the mid 2nd to grab a guy .  With all that said we have a lot of money in FA and we need at least 1 WR and 1 lineman from there.  My hope is we resign Norwell unless we are able to hit a home run and get Armstead.    

Number 1 priority this offseaon though is doing whatever it takes to give Trev the best chance to succeed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-01-2021, 09:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Regardless of what coaches we have or who is in the front office, the number 1 goal should be doing whatever we can to help Trevor succeed.  I usually like to build the defense but actually think our D is pretty good and with Campbell coming along and likely Cisco starting next year I think we will even be improved.  I want Hutch or Thibs but if both are gone when we pick my next 2 guys are Neal and Linderbaum. Move back a couple spots and get Linderbaum

Both could arguably be the  3rd and 4th best players in the draft.  Stingley, Hamilton , Gardner, and Davis are up there as well.  Linderbaum is PFFs highest rated center ever and mentioned him months back as every time you watch Iowa dude is dominant.  He was even the highest rated center in college football last year and is even much better this year.  Drafting Neal would likely be an automatic upgrade over Taylor and if wanted he could play 4 different positions at a high level.  With Linderbaum though we could draft him, have on of the best centers in the league for Trev and we could kick Linder to guard.  I think the 2nd will be prime position to get one of the WRs as at least 1 WR will fall with a first round grade.  

We have so many mid to late round picks we could package some up and move up in the first to get a guy we love or double dip on WR and move up from the 3rd to the mid 2nd to grab a guy .  With all that said we have a lot of money in FA and we need at least 1 WR and 1 lineman from there.  My hope is we resign Norwell unless we are able to hit a home run and get Armstead.    

Number 1 priority this offseaon though is doing whatever it takes to give Trev the best chance to succeed.
This should have been the #1 priority in 2021 and should be the #1 priority every season until they get it right.

I too hope they target significant resources in the off season to help Trevor. This team has numerous free agents, both starting and backup (ie. Chark, Austin, Norwell, Cann, Robinson, Richardson, Hollister, Shatley, Wilson, Bryan, Ward, Gotsis, McCray, Herndon, Lawson...), that will add to positions already needing upgrade. They need to be aggressive in free agency, as the draft does not have enough early days selections for the Jags to meet all their "upgrade opportunities".

I feel dirty for even thinking it, but I think the best chance for Trevor to succeed is trading him to a different team.

I have negative confidence in every decision maker employed by this franchise, and it sucks so bad.

The worst thing about looking forward to prospects is that we will probably pass on all of these guys and take another Safety or some other non-premium position that has little need and waste yet another year languishing in the cellar.

Sorry, it might just be the indigestion talking.

(12-01-2021, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: I feel dirty for even thinking it, but I think the best chance for Trevor to succeed is trading him to a different team.

I have negative confidence in every decision maker employed by this franchise, and it sucks so bad.

The worst thing about looking forward to prospects is that we will probably pass on all of these guys and take another Safety or some other non-premium position that has little need and waste yet another year languishing in the cellar.

No it is the Khan ownership that is driving this.  Anything that is exciting they find a way to tarnish. We have a history under Khan of losing anyone that shows talent and retaining the marginal. Until it is something different, I have no hope for this team. Everyone knows we were taking Trevor and they stood pat in so many areas and then keep admitting they haven't figured it out.  What an absolute brutal abuse of the fan base.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-01-2021, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: I feel dirty for even thinking it, but I think the best chance for Trevor to succeed is trading him to a different team.

I don't think center is a premium position but I think Linderbaum is so good that I'd be more than happy if we drafted him in the first .  I think he will be a All Pro early in his career and a center like that would be great for Trev.  If we take a safety.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 10:29 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

So you think we should simply make a bad trade rather than destroy him over the next 5 years.  That's almost about as tough of a decision as I had to make between watching the Jags game or flipping over to the Lebanon vs UAE world cup qualifying match.  Not sure which was worse.

(12-01-2021, 10:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I don't think center is a premium position but I think Linderbaum is so good that I'd be more than happy if we drafted him in the first .  I think he will be a All Pro early in his career and a center like that would be great for Trev.  If we take a safety.
A center in the top 5? or only him if they trade back?

I'm hoping a new GM/HC are the primary goals this offseason.

Of course the current combo did jack [BLEEP] to help the #1 pick and whomever is calling shots in 2022 will have to do the work they neglected.
Hopefully it's someone smarter than Baalke and Meyer.

(12-01-2021, 10:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 10:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think center is a premium position but I think Linderbaum is so good that I'd be more than happy if we drafted him in the first .  I think he will be a All Pro early in his career and a center like that would be great for Trev.  If we take a safety.
A center in the top 5? or only him if they trade back?

Yeah I would trade back a couple spots but I think he goes top 10 because he's do good.  Kind of like when Nelson went 6th because he's so good, which is rare for a guard to go that high but he's so good and was a great pick.  If there was a draft redo he might even go higher

I'm high on Neal who I think has a very high ceiling. One think that makes him so valuable is that we can pretty much play him anywhere on the online. He has played guard, RT, and LT at a high level

Goal #1

[Image: P4AF34TTSZCDLMELGKYH6WKHTQ.jpg]

Goal #2

[Image: llw8de87tmyx4s5dgezs]

Goal #3

[Image: 11762.png?w=324&h=205]

Goal #4

[Image: kayvonthibodeax_allamerica_magazine_2021_goducks.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-01-2021, 10:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm hoping a new GM/HC are the primary goals this offseason.

Of course the current combo did jack [BLEEP] to help the #1 pick and whomever is calling shots in 2022 will have to do the work they neglected.

Yeah, I hope we do bring in a new front staff but I don't see that happening.  Why I said at the beginning of the OP that regardless of who is here, whether it be our current staff or a new one, the number 1 priority should be to give Trevor the resources he needs to succeed

I agree that the primary goal is to help Trevor get better. In order of importance these are the changes I'd make:

1. Hire an offensive coordinator to replace Bevell. Since Meyer will unfortunately be returning, this would be the most important change.

2. Make every effort to utilize the 3rd highest salary cap number by signing at least one elite free agent- preferably Godwin or Armstead.

3. Prioritize the offensive line unit since they failed miserably at this last off-season. If Armstead doesn't sign here, franchise Robinson again. Replace Taylor with Walker Little if he proves that he can be effective at right
    tackle. Draft an interior lineman in rounds 2 or 3. Hopefully Norwell will agree to a new short-term deal at a reasonable price, but it's more likely he'll take the best offer- likely from another team. Since Taylor is not
    expensive, try moving him to guard to compete for a starting spot.

4. Draft the BAP in round 1- hopefully it will be Hutchinson or Thibodeaux. A much improved pass rush will help Lawrence even though it's on the other side of the ball.

5. Try to re-sign Chark to a short term deal. When healthy, he's at least a solid number 2 receiver. Even if this happens, still go after Godwin in free agency. Draft a receiver in rounds 2 or 3 since there will be great value
    in both rounds at this position.

Even by addressing these 5 areas, this team would need one additional off-season to realistically be a serious threat in the AFC. That being said, it would be disappointing if they didn't win at least 8 games in 2022.

(12-01-2021, 10:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Goal #1

[Image: P4AF34TTSZCDLMELGKYH6WKHTQ.jpg]

Goal #2

[Image: llw8de87tmyx4s5dgezs]

Goal #3

[Image: 11762.png?w=324&h=205]

Goal #4

[Image: kayvonthibodeax_allamerica_magazine_2021_goducks.jpg]

Oregon player as high pick gives me the night sweats. I'd opt for someone else if given the opportunity.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 11:13 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-01-2021, 10:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I don't take Linderbaum where we currently sit, but if we trade down a bit, I would love to have him. He is a very low risk, high reward player. I doubt he last much passed pick #15. He probably gets selected earlier. Iowa usually turns out very good NFL O-Linemen.

(12-01-2021, 10:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm hoping a new GM/HC are the primary goals this offseason.

If this isn't the goal, then no matter what we do, we'll still be garbage, because our combo is totally inept.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 11:17 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

If Meyer stays, he HAS TO bring in a new Offensive Coordinator, QB Coach, WR Coach and an O-Line Coach or we will continue to suck. Our current coaches are useless.

(12-01-2021, 11:17 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If Meyer stays, he HAS TO bring in a new Offensive Coordinator, QB Coach, WR Coach and an O-Line Coach or we will continue to suck. Our current coaches are useless.

Agreed, we need all offensive coaches.  Cullen needs to stay

(12-01-2021, 09:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Regardless of what coaches we have or who is in the front office, the number 1 goal should be doing whatever we can to help Trevor succeed.  I usually like to build the defense but actually think our D is pretty good and with Campbell coming along and likely Cisco starting next year I think we will even be improved.  I want Hutch or Thibs but if both are gone when we pick my next 2 guys are Neal and Linderbaum. Move back a couple spots and get Linderbaum

I agree with this. If Thibs and Hutch are both gone, I'd want to trade down. Nabbing Stingley, Neal, or Linderbaum outside the top 5 while collecting more picks would be amazing. I think the Jags are primed for a trade down if they're sitting at #3-5. There are a number of QBs rated evenly, which may create some wild-west wheeling and dealing. 

As for Linder, I think next year he should not be penciled in as a starter. I would consider him as the "6th man" off the bench next season. This could prolong his career. He's a great locker room guy and still above average when he plays, but it's time to get the next Linder/Meester.

I want a WR and an OT drafted in the first three rounds, and I also want to see a WR #1 and quality O-line free agent like Armstead. Norwell needs to be resigned with the money saved from letting Cam Robinson walk. I think a Kansas City-style wholesale rebuild is in order for the O-line.   

The defense is coming together and has some good young pieces. Keep adding to itand let Cullen do his thing. I'd prefer more draft picks be spent on defense, with more free agents added to the offense. Trevor needs help fast. No messing around. Get him a proven WR #1, a healthy ETN, and a better playcaller.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2021, 11:54 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-01-2021, 11:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 10:18 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think center is a premium position but I think Linderbaum is so good that I'd be more than happy if we drafted him in the first .  I think he will be a All Pro early in his career and a center like that would be great for Trev.  If we take a safety.

I don't take Linderbaum where we currently sit, but if we trade down a bit, I would love to have him. He is a very low risk, high reward player. I doubt he last much passed pick #15. He probably gets selected earlier. Iowa usually turns out very good NFL O-Linemen.

If this isn't the goal, then no matter what we do, we'll still be garbage, because our combo is totally inept.

Yeah, I wouldn't take him at 3.  Right now Neal is my guy at 3, I'm ready for the George Alabama game.  I want to see how Neal does against that Georgia defense and I really want to see how Davis does against the Alabama oline

(12-01-2021, 11:28 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

I agree with this. If Thibs and Hutch are both gone, I'd want to trade down. Nabbing Stingley, Neal, or Linderbaum outside the top 5 while collecting more picks would be amazing. I think the Jags are primed for a trade down if they're sitting at #3-5. There are a number of QBs rated evenly, which may create some wild-west wheeling and dealing. 

As for Linder, I think next year he should not be penciled in as a starter. I would consider him as the "6th man" off the bench next season. This could prolong his career. He's a great locker room guy and still above average when he plays, but it's time to get the next Linder/Meester.

I want a WR and an OT drafted in the first three rounds, and I also want to see a WR #1 and quality O-line free agent like Armstead. Norwell needs to be resigned with the money saved from letting Cam Robinson walk. I think a Kansas City-style wholesale rebuild is in order for the O-line.   

The defense is coming together and has some good young pieces. Keep adding to itand let Cullen do his thing. I'd prefer more draft picks be spent on defense, with more free agents added to the offense. Trevor needs help fast. No messing around. Get him a proven WR #1, a healthy ETN, and a better playcaller.
Agreed