Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Rams Game

Welp, it seems everyone expected us to get rolled by the Rams, and we lived down to expectations.  It's uncanny how utterly and consistently inept this team is.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  It's sad that my first thought after the opening kikoff was returned for 65 yards was "Welp.  At least their opening drive won't be 18 plays like the 49ers."  But they did yet another variation of that game by turning it over two plays into the next drive, then going three and out.  There was a time when game day was marked with excitement, eager anticipation and hope.  Now, I had no positive expectations or hopes going into this game, and this malaise is growing increasingly common.

2.  For much of the year, we have talked about how improved the run defense has been.  But today, the overall impression I got from the run defense today was soft.  The Rams didn't have any crazy big running plays like Jonathan Taylor did in the first quarter a few weeks back, but it seemed like they were averaging 7-8 yards a pop running up the middle.

3.  Much of the early 2022 draft/offseason discussion has centered around the need for a receiver that can get separation.  I do not assert in any way that is not a need.  But as I watched Cooper Kupp today, it was apparent, if not reinforced, there are other abilities we need to add to our receiving corps:  reliability and dependability.  I see Cooper Kupp contorting his body all sorts of ways to catch balls oftern dramatically off target and still manage to make the catch, whether the pass is low or behind him.  I contrast it to our receivers like O'Shaughnessy who barely have to break stride to adjust to a slightly off target pass, only to drop it.  I contrast it to Laviska Shenault, who not only drops a lot of passes, has developed a propensity to stop at the end of the route instead of running through the route.  The disparity is demoralizing.  Trevor deserves better.  So do we fans.

4.  I was buoyed by the sight of Brandon Linder starting at C amd Will Richardson starting at RT, thinking at last Linder has returned to health and maybe the coaching staff has lost patience with Jawaan Taylor.  However, like so many things Jaguars related, whatever, it was fleeting, illusory, and quickly extinguished as Taylor quickly returned to the starting lineup and Linder left the game with an injury.  Does anyone know why Richardson was in the game so early?

5.  I guess it's Roy Robertson-Harris' turn for the string of dumb penalties.

6.  Kick coverage stunk again, although Cook had a good day punting, with a couple of punts downed inside the 10.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-much of the same from him.  Some good throws, some throws off target.  No receivers who can let him really show him stuff.  An offensive line that grows leakier by the game.  Took a helmet to helmet shot that should have been flagged but wasn't.  The one good thing is that he seems to have developed a trust in Treadwell.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP.  On IR

C.  Tyson Campbell-played decently this week, though not as good as last week.  left the game with an abdominal injury, but returned.

D.  Walker Little-Did not see him.

E.  Andre Cisco-Saw him early in the game, but did not see him much after that.

F.  Jay Tufele-Saw him early in the game but did not see him much after that.  Good to see him back, even though I don't recall him making any impact.

G.  Jordan Smith-I did not see him.  I can only assume that he, once again, was a healthy scratch.

H.  Luke Farrell-Did not see him at all.

8.  One of the last things this team needs is for James Robinson to become a fumbler.  This is the second week he has fumbled and the second week he was benched briefly for doing so.  Again, I get it.  Fumbling has to be discouraged as much as possible.  But I wondered what would happen when Urban's pet (Carlos Hyde) fumbled.  To Urb's credit, Hyde got benched, too.

9.  For the first time in a long time, the team did not kill itself with a slew of stupid penalties.  From that perspective, it was a relaticely clean game, so I guess there's that.

10.  Bottom line-When we were anticipating Trevor Lawrence becoming a Jaguar, I knew there was a very good chance he would struggle in his rookie year.  It became inevitable when Etienne and Chark went out with injuries early on.  That said, I never thought there would be part of me that wants the season to end to preserve him both mentally and physically.  I can't get into his head, and based on what people are saying, confidence and psyche wise he seems fine.  He hasn't been injured yet.  Yes, he can use the reps.  But this season has been frustrating to watch on too many levels to delineate, and I am wanting to preserve him.  I don't know if this coaching staff has what it takes to develop him properly.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Ugly. Embarrassing. Pathetic.

It's a mess. It's all a big mess.

Announcers called out the Jags by one wondering how big of a win this was for the Rams and the other saying, "well, it's the Jags"

I don't see a receiver out there in this draft that can make the difference we need, it's free agency or trade market. I think we need to spend high picks on the Offensive Line; we need to protect Lawrence at all costs, he might be able to get something going if he weren't running for his life every play
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The best thing that can happen to this franchise is for Khan to board the Kismet, set sail for the Bermuda Triangle, and disappear into the void.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(12-05-2021, 08:39 PM)Firesky Wrote: I don't see a receiver out there in this draft that can make the difference we need, it's free agency or trade market. I think we need to spend high picks on the Offensive Line; we need to protect Lawrence at all costs, he might be able to get something going if he weren't running for his life every play

In FA I'm throwing whatever amount of $$ it takes to sign Godwin and Gallup. Then using that 2nd round pick on a WR as well. Our WR room would be much improved.

(12-05-2021, 08:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:39 PM)Firesky Wrote: I don't see a receiver out there in this draft that can make the difference we need, it's free agency or trade market. I think we need to spend high picks on the Offensive Line; we need to protect Lawrence at all costs, he might be able to get something going if he weren't running for his life every play

In FA I'm throwing whatever amount of $$ it takes to sign Godwin and Gallup. Then using that 2nd round pick on a WR as well. Our WR room would be much improved.
Godwin, Gallup and Dotson. I’m in.

Throw in Thibs or Hutchinson with the 1st rounder.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2021, 08:51 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

Jameson Williams, assuming he comes out, would make a huge difference, at least in terms of deep speed/vertical separation.  Whether he ultimately meets the dependability prong is another matter.

TOLM mentioned possibly trading for Tee Higgins.

If we are throwing out trade proposals, I think I would make an offer for Seattle's DK Metcalf.

It seems increasingly obvious Seattle will be in full rebuild mode, possibly with a new head coach and a new QB.  On top of that, they have had late first round picks after all the years of contention, and the last two years, they've had no first round picks thanks to the trade for Jamal Adams.  Despite the fact they trounced us, they are largely a tlent depleted team, and Metcalf would represent one of the few tradeable pieces they have.  Though Higgins has the history with Trevor Lawrence, I think a more viable target (though still firmly in the unlikely to happen category) is Metcalf.

If we're going solely by the draft to fix WR, I'd want to replicate what Denver did last year and double up on WR in the first two rounds-even targeting the same schools-with Jameson Williams and Jahan Dotson.

I hope they sign 2 big time WRs and draft 2 studs. Heck I would go get OBJ at this point.

I don’t know what in the world is going on with James Robinson’s lack of carries but this can’t happen next year. If it’s Meyer then he’s gotta go.

We don’t have any business wasting Trevor’s early years.

(12-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Welp, it seems everyone expected us to get rolled by the Rams, and we lived down to expectations.  It's uncanny how utterly and consistently inept this team is.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  It's sad that my first thought after the opening kikoff was returned for 65 yards was "Welp.  At least their opening drive won't be 18 plays like the 49ers."  But they did yet another variation of that game by turning it over two plays into the next drive, then going three and out.  There was a time when game day was marked with excitement, eager anticipation and hope.  Now, I had no positive expectations or hopes going into this game, and this malaise is growing increasingly common.

2.  For much of the year, we have talked about how improved the run defense has been.  But today, the overall impression I got from the run defense today was soft.  The Rams didn't have any crazy big running plays like Jonathan Taylor did in the first quarter a few weeks back, but it seemed like they were averaging 7-8 yards a pop running up the middle.

3.  Much of the early 2022 draft/offseason discussion has centered around the need for a receiver that can get separation.  I do not assert in any way that is not a need.  But as I watched Cooper Kupp today, it was apparent, if not reinforced, there are other abilities we need to add to our receiving corps:  reliability and dependability.  I see Cooper Kupp contorting his body all sorts of ways to catch balls oftern dramatically off target and still manage to make the catch, whether the pass is low or behind him.  I contrast it to our receivers like O'Shaughnessy who barely have to break stride to adjust to a slightly off target pass, only to drop it.  I contrast it to Laviska Shenault, who not only drops a lot of passes, has developed a propensity to stop at the end of the route instead of running through the route.  The disparity is demoralizing.  Trevor deserves better.  So do we fans.

4.  I was buoyed by the sight of Brandon Linder starting at C amd Will Richardson starting at RT, thinking at last Linder has returned to health and maybe the coaching staff has lost patience with Jawaan Taylor.  However, like so many things Jaguars related, whatever, it was fleeting, illusory, and quickly extinguished as Taylor quickly returned to the starting lineup and Linder left the game with an injury.  Does anyone know why Richardson was in the game so early?

6.  Kick coverage stunk again, although Cook had a good day punting, with a couple of punts downed inside the 10.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-much of the same from him.  Some good throws, some throws off target.  No receivers who can let him really show him stuff.  An offensive line that grows leakier by the game.  Took a helmet to helmet shot that should have been flagged but wasn't.  The one good thing is that he seems to have developed a trust in Treadwell.

C.  Tyson Campbell-played decently this week, though not as good as last week.  left the game with an abdominal injury, but returned.

F.  Jay Tufele-Saw him early in the game but did not see him much after that.  Good to see him back, even though I don't recall him making any impact.

G.  Jordan Smith-I did not see him.  I can only assume that he, once again, was a healthy scratch.

8.  One of the last things this team needs is for James Robinson to become a fumbler.  This is the second week he has fumbled and the second week he was benched briefly for doing so.  Again, I get it.  Fumbling has to be discouraged as much as possible.  But I wondered what would happen when Urban's pet (Carlos Hyde) fumbled.  To Urb's credit, Hyde got benched, too.

9.  For the first time in a long time, the team did not kill itself with a slew of stupid penalties.  From that perspective, it was a relaticely clean game, so I guess there's that.

10.  Bottom line-When we were anticipating Trevor Lawrence becoming a Jaguar, I knew there was a very good chance he would struggle in his rookie year.  It became inevitable when Etienne and Chark went out with injuries early on.  That said, I never thought there would be part of me that wants the season to end to preserve him both mentally and physically.  I can't get into his head, and based on what people are saying, confidence and psyche wise he seems fine.  He hasn't been injured yet.  Yes, he can use the reps.  But this season has been frustrating to watch on too many levels to delineate, and I am wanting to preserve him.  I don't know if this coaching staff has what it takes to develop him properly.

1. Agreed. 

2. It has been obvious to a lot of us for a long time now that we need two new starting ILB's. One "thumper" who can stop the run and one athletic guy who can consistently cover receivers. Wilson is not good at all and Jack is only effective as a 4-3 OLB. We have to work on trading Jack in the offseason. He's useless in a 3-4 scheme. Get what we can for him and move on. 

3. We gotta double-dip in the draft when it comes to WR. Our cupboard is completely empty. I definitely select a speedy guy who can stretch the field ala Justin Jefferson and I also look for a great route runner with really good hands ala Cooper Kupp or Robert Woods. I also add a pass catching TE while I'm at it. Arnold was doing really good, but he got injured, so we're back to where we started on the TE issue. I'd like to have 2 reliable pass catching TE's going into next season and this is a deep TE class. 

4. Taylor is completely incompetent and he will never get any better with Warhop coaching him. Why in God's name aren't we starting Little at RT? He can't be any worse than Taylor and if he is, he's another wasted pick. I love Linder, but he's just not reliable and has only played a full 16 game season once in his entire career. He has one year left on his deal, so it's time to look for his replacement in the draft. Center is too important a position, not to address. It's time. 

The longer this crap goes on, the more I worry that we are ruining any chance for Trevor Lawrence to develop. Please, please, please, for the love of God, fire Darrell Bevell, Brian Schottenheimer, George Warhop and and Sanjay Lal. I want Urban Meyer gone too as much as anyone, but we all know Khan is not gonna do that. I wish we had an owner with enough intelligence to admit he was wrong and do what's best for the team, but we don't. This entire front office and offensive coaching staff needs to be scrapped. I can't believe how many high draft picks we have wasted on the crap product we are seeing, week after week. It feels like we hit rock bottom several weeks ago, but we keep falling further. This is about as depressed as I have ever been regarding this team. It's like we're stranded in an ocean of raw sewage and there is no land in sight.

(12-05-2021, 08:38 PM)WYBaugh Wrote: Announcers called out the Jags by one wondering how big of a win this was for the Rams and the other saying, "well, it's the Jags"

Shaking my head in dismay.

(12-05-2021, 08:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote: In FA I'm throwing whatever amount of $$ it takes to sign Godwin and Gallup. Then using that 2nd round pick on a WR as well. Our WR room would be much improved.
Godwin, Gallup and Dotson. I’m in.

Throw in Thibs or Hutchinson with the 1st rounder.

Sounds great to me.

(12-05-2021, 08:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Welp, it seems everyone expected us to get rolled by the Rams, and we lived down to expectations.  It's uncanny how utterly and consistently inept this team is.  My thoughts on the game...

7.  Rookie Watch:

2. It has been obvious to a lot of us for a long time now that we need two new starting ILB's. One "thumper" who can stop the run and one athletic guy who can consistently cover receivers. Wilson is not good at all and Jack is only effective as a 4-3 OLB. We have to work on trading Jack in the offseason. He's useless in a 3-4 scheme. Get what we can for him and move on. 

3. We gotta double-dip in the draft when it comes to WR. Our cupboard is completely empty. I definitely select a speedy guy who can stretch the field ala Justin Jefferson and I also look for a great route runner with really good hands ala Cooper Kupp or Robert Woods. I also add a pass catching TE while I'm at it. Arnold was doing really good, but he got injured, so we're back to where we started on the TE issue. I'd like to have 2 reliable pass catching TE's going into next season and this is a deep TE class. 

4. Taylor is completely incompetent and he will never get any better with Warhop coaching him. Why in God's name aren't we starting Little at RT? He can't be any worse than Taylor and if he is, he's another wasted pick. I love Linder, but he's just not reliable and has only played a full 16 game season once in his entire career. He has one year left on his deal, so it's time to look for his replacement in the draft. Center is too important a position, not to address. It's time. 

The longer this crap goes on, the more I worry that we are ruining any chance for Trevor Lawrence to develop. Please, please, please, for the love of God, fire Darrell Bevell, Brian Schottenheimer, George Warhop and and Sanjay Lal. I want Urban Meyer gone too as much as anyone, but we all know Khan is not gonna do that. I wish we had an owner with enough intelligence to admit he was wrong and do what's best for the team, but we don't. This entire front office and offensive coaching staff needs to be scrapped. I can't believe how many high draft picks we have wasted on the crap product we are seeing, week after week. It feels like we hit rock bottom several weeks ago, but we keep falling further. This is about as depressed as I have ever been regarding this team. It's like we're stranded in an ocean of raw sewage and there is no land in sight.

2.  It appeared Wilson was flat out embarrassed early in the game when they hit that long pass on the second possession.  If I'm wrong and that TE was someone else's responsibility, I will gladly retract this, but without knowing the assignments and judging solely upon what I saw on TV, he looked like he was absolutely torched.  He isb't very good in coverage in my estimation, but that was bad even by his standards.

3.  The thing is, we have so any needs, it's hard to adopt any one strategy.  We could easily double dip at WR.  But we could also stand to double dip along the OL, LB, and secondary, though with Campbell's development and the defense's improvement from last year to this year, I could live with bypassing defense this draft as long as we got the right guys on offense to enable Trevor Lawrence to thrive.

7.  Rookie Watch:

1. Agreed. 

You mention JJ as a speed guy and others as a great route runner.  JJ is an elite route runner

(12-05-2021, 09:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

2.  It appeared Wilson was flat out embarrassed early in the game when they hit that long pass on the second possession.  If I'm wrong and that TE was someone else's responsibility, I will gladly retract this, but without knowing the assignments and judging solely upon what I saw on TV, he looked like he was absolutely torched.  He isb't very good in coverage in my estimation, but that was bad even by his standards.

3.  The thing is, we have so any needs, it's hard to adopt any one strategy.  We could easily double dip at WR.  But we could also stand to double dip along the OL, LB, and secondary, though with Campbell's development and the defense's improvement from last year to this year, I could live with bypassing defense this draft as long as we got the right guys on offense to enable Trevor Lawrence to thrive.

The good news is, we have enough draft picks that I believe it would be wise to double dip at WR, ILB, O-Line and OLB. We gotta dig ourselves out of this hole via the draft, because we're such an embarrassment to the entire NFL, that it's gonna be next to impossible to get quality free agents to sign here.

(12-05-2021, 09:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 1. Agreed. 

You mention JJ as a speed guy and others as a great route runner.  JJ is an elite route runner

He's most known for his ability to separate and make big plays. I could have easily used an example like CeeDee Lamb instead. Just someone who can create separation.

(12-05-2021, 10:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 09:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 2.  It appeared Wilson was flat out embarrassed early in the game when they hit that long pass on the second possession.  If I'm wrong and that TE was someone else's responsibility, I will gladly retract this, but without knowing the assignments and judging solely upon what I saw on TV, he looked like he was absolutely torched.  He isb't very good in coverage in my estimation, but that was bad even by his standards.

The good news is, we have enough draft picks that I believe it would be wise to double dip at WR, ILB, O-Line and OLB. We gotta dig ourselves out of this hole via the draft, because we're such an embarrassment to the entire NFL, that it's gonna be next to impossible to get quality free agents to sign here.
Whoever we draft we need nasty players who will not be bullied. I am disappointed that after Ramsey shoulder checked our receiver 5 yards out of bounds our OC didn't call sweeps where a pulling guard mashed Ramsey driving him into the turf. Over and over until he crawled off the field.  Until we begin to play where even if we don't win the other team knows it has been in a football game we are lost.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(12-05-2021, 10:43 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The good news is, we have enough draft picks that I believe it would be wise to double dip at WR, ILB, O-Line and OLB. We gotta dig ourselves out of this hole via the draft, because we're such an embarrassment to the entire NFL, that it's gonna be next to impossible to get quality free agents to sign here.
Whoever we draft we need nasty players who will not be bullied. I am disappointed that after Ramsey shoulder checked our receiver 5 yards out of bounds our OC didn't call sweeps where a pulling guard mashed Ramsey driving him into the turf. Over and over until he crawled off the field.  Until we begin to play where even if we don't win the other team knows it has been in a football game we are lost.

Though you could argue that we don't have the guards to get outside on sweeps, and that at that stage of the game, we were in catch up mode, I actually like the larger point you are making.

We don't need any milquetoast players.

We need some nastiness.

I was not a huge fan of Dave Widell in terms of run blocking.  But he was a nasty (some would say dirty) player.

Boselli and Searcy were nasty players.  These were guys who had mean streaks.

The Steelers were known for this defensively.  Guys like Mean Joe Greene, Lambert, Blount, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter.

I'm not sure if players like that are allowed in the league now, but if they are, we need guys with that edge.

(12-05-2021, 10:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:43 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Whoever we draft we need nasty players who will not be bullied. I am disappointed that after Ramsey shoulder checked our receiver 5 yards out of bounds our OC didn't call sweeps where a pulling guard mashed Ramsey driving him into the turf. Over and over until he crawled off the field.  Until we begin to play where even if we don't win the other team knows it has been in a football game we are lost.

Though you could argue that we don't have the guards to get outside on sweeps, and that at that stage of the game, we were in catch up mode, I actually like the larger point you are making.

We don't need any milquetoast players.

We need some nastiness.

I was not a huge fan of Dave Widell in terms of run blocking.  But he was a nasty (some would say dirty) player.

Boselli and Searcy were nasty players.  These were guys who had mean streaks.

The Steelers were known for this defensively.  Guys like Mean Joe Greene, Lambert, Blount, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter.

I'm not sure if players like that are allowed in the league now, but if they are, we need guys with that edge.

If you have a chance, check out the Center from Utah, Nick Ford. He has played every position on the Offensive Line. He's big and he has a mean streak. I was watching the Utah/Oregon game and the announcers even commented on how aggressive he is. If he had no one in front of him to block, he would go looking for someone to hit. He had a couple of good pancakes in that game where he absolutely buried the defender. I'd love to add him to our line.

Horrific game. Told myself I was done for the year but happened to find myself in front of the TV this afternoon so of course I watched. This team desperately misses Chark and Etienne. No one with any home run ability to scare defenders. And an OC too afraid to spread defenses out. Even if we don't have any outside speed, you still need to send WRs deep. Defense has to send someone to cover which means the rest of the field is now 10v10. Send two guys deep its 9v9. Oehser always talks about a compressed field but we are compressing it ourselves.

As far as the draft, I'd be okay with it being almost entirely offense. This defense needs help and talent but what it needs more than anything is an offense that doesnt go 3 and out 75% of the time. Give this defense a supporting offense and they'll be middle of the pack in the league. Fire all the offensive coaches, acquire two big free agents, and draft heavy offense. First 4 picks need to be offense.