Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Rams Game

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 06:06 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-05-2021, 11:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Though you could argue that we don't have the guards to get outside on sweeps, and that at that stage of the game, we were in catch up mode, I actually like the larger point you are making.

We don't need any milquetoast players.

We need some nastiness.

I was not a huge fan of Dave Widell in terms of run blocking.  But he was a nasty (some would say dirty) player.

Boselli and Searcy were nasty players.  These were guys who had mean streaks.

The Steelers were known for this defensively.  Guys like Mean Joe Greene, Lambert, Blount, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter.

I'm not sure if players like that are allowed in the league now, but if they are, we need guys with that edge.

If you have a chance, check out the Center from Utah, Nick Ford. He has played every position on the Offensive Line. He's big and he has a mean streak. I was watching the Utah/Oregon game and the announcers even commented on how aggressive he is. If he had no one in front of him to block, he would go looking for someone to hit. He had a couple of good pancakes in that game where he absolutely buried the defender. I'd love to add him to our line.

Yes, he caught my eye.  He reminds me of Tampa's C, who was an absolute animal in the playoffs last year.  That was some of the nastiest, most aggressive C I've seen in a long time, possibly ever.

The C from Geprgia caught my eye with his size and power.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2021, 10:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 10:43 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Whoever we draft we need nasty players who will not be bullied. I am disappointed that after Ramsey shoulder checked our receiver 5 yards out of bounds our OC didn't call sweeps where a pulling guard mashed Ramsey driving him into the turf. Over and over until he crawled off the field.  Until we begin to play where even if we don't win the other team knows it has been in a football game we are lost.

Though you could argue that we don't have the guards to get outside on sweeps, and that at that stage of the game, we were in catch up mode, I actually like the larger point you are making.

We don't need any milquetoast players.

We need some nastiness.

I was not a huge fan of Dave Widell in terms of run blocking.  But he was a nasty (some would say dirty) player.

Boselli and Searcy were nasty players.  These were guys who had mean streaks.

The Steelers were known for this defensively.  Guys like Mean Joe Greene, Lambert, Blount, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter.

I'm not sure if players like that are allowed in the league now, but if they are, we need guys with that edge.

Exactly my point. I can live with us rebuilding this year with a rookie Coach, QB, and a Lions castoff OC but letting the other team get away with those things kinda snow balls and everyone will do it to us.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 12:56 AM by Rockman1966. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Welp, it seems everyone expected us to get rolled by the Rams, and we lived down to expectations.  It's uncanny how utterly and consistently inept this team is.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  It's sad that my first thought after the opening kikoff was returned for 65 yards was "Welp.  At least their opening drive won't be 18 plays like the 49ers."  But they did yet another variation of that game by turning it over two plays into the next drive, then going three and out.  There was a time when game day was marked with excitement, eager anticipation and hope.  Now, I had no positive expectations or hopes going into this game, and this malaise is growing increasingly common.

2.  For much of the year, we have talked about how improved the run defense has been.  But today, the overall impression I got from the run defense today was soft.  The Rams didn't have any crazy big running plays like Jonathan Taylor did in the first quarter a few weeks back, but it seemed like they were averaging 7-8 yards a pop running up the middle.

3.  Much of the early 2022 draft/offseason discussion has centered around the need for a receiver that can get separation.  I do not assert in any way that is not a need.  But as I watched Cooper Kupp today, it was apparent, if not reinforced, there are other abilities we need to add to our receiving corps:  reliability and dependability.  I see Cooper Kupp contorting his body all sorts of ways to catch balls oftern dramatically off target and still manage to make the catch, whether the pass is low or behind him.  I contrast it to our receivers like O'Shaughnessy who barely have to break stride to adjust to a slightly off target pass, only to drop it.  I contrast it to Laviska Shenault, who not only drops a lot of passes, has developed a propensity to stop at the end of the route instead of running through the route.  The disparity is demoralizing.  Trevor deserves better.  So do we fans.

4.  I was buoyed by the sight of Brandon Linder starting at C amd Will Richardson starting at RT, thinking at last Linder has returned to health and maybe the coaching staff has lost patience with Jawaan Taylor.  However, like so many things Jaguars related, whatever, it was fleeting, illusory, and quickly extinguished as Taylor quickly returned to the starting lineup and Linder left the game with an injury.  Does anyone know why Richardson was in the game so early?

5.  I guess it's Roy Robertson-Harris' turn for the string of dumb penalties.

6.  Kick coverage stunk again, although Cook had a good day punting, with a couple of punts downed inside the 10.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-much of the same from him.  Some good throws, some throws off target.  No receivers who can let him really show him stuff.  An offensive line that grows leakier by the game.  Took a helmet to helmet shot that should have been flagged but wasn't.  The one good thing is that he seems to have developed a trust in Treadwell.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP.  On IR

C.  Tyson Campbell-played decently this week, though not as good as last week.  left the game with an abdominal injury, but returned.

D.  Walker Little-Did not see him.

E.  Andre Cisco-Saw him early in the game, but did not see him much after that.

F.  Jay Tufele-Saw him early in the game but did not see him much after that.  Good to see him back, even though I don't recall him making any impact.

G.  Jordan Smith-I did not see him.  I can only assume that he, once again, was a healthy scratch.

H.  Luke Farrell-Did not see him at all.

8.  One of the last things this team needs is for James Robinson to become a fumbler.  This is the second week he has fumbled and the second week he was benched briefly for doing so.  Again, I get it.  Fumbling has to be discouraged as much as possible.  But I wondered what would happen when Urban's pet (Carlos Hyde) fumbled.  To Urb's credit, Hyde got benched, too.

9.  For the first time in a long time, the team did not kill itself with a slew of stupid penalties.  From that perspective, it was a relaticely clean game, so I guess there's that.

10.  Bottom line-When we were anticipating Trevor Lawrence becoming a Jaguar, I knew there was a very good chance he would struggle in his rookie year.  It became inevitable when Etienne and Chark went out with injuries early on.  That said, I never thought there would be part of me that wants the season to end to preserve him both mentally and physically.  I can't get into his head, and based on what people are saying, confidence and psyche wise he seems fine.  He hasn't been injured yet.  Yes, he can use the reps.  But this season has been frustrating to watch on too many levels to delineate, and I am wanting to preserve him.  I don't know if this coaching staff has what it takes to develop him properly.

Like Allen Robinson, Jalen Ramsey, Ndoukwe (sorry) Robinson will bail as soon as he can.

GL signing decent FAs.  Nobody wants to play here and endure this dumpster fire.

Watched the Ravens-Steelers and saw creative formations that schemed mismatches that the the QBs could target.  Plus guys who can catch.

Great review as always mate

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 04:00 AM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

We do not have a physical team at all. We are trying to play college ball. Maybe we can trade Myles Jack for a decent pick. I don't know at this point. Obviously the Chark injury hurts us badly. I mean Jaguars football has become a meme, I don't see how anyone can actually get worked up, hyped up, or excited to see a Jags game when it's like this most of the time. I mean to be basically looking forward to the draft every Thanksgiving is kind of stupid.

You can probably copy and paste these by now and just find/replace opponent name.

The most impressive impression was the one Aaron Donald left in the turf in the perfect outline of James Robinson.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It is as hard to post as it is to watch. Thanks for the analysis.

By absolutely knee capping this draft we are once again Yeats away from mediocre play and locking into the post season. I don't understand why none of the drafted guys are seeing the field. You can't say it is best chance to win because that ship sailed week 1. The regression on offense is painful.

The coaching sucks. The reason they are compressing the routes is to keep Trevor from slinging it downfield and throwing picks. They are coaching him into a game manager and putting him in so many third and longs that it is impossible to put drives together.

They hate Robinson and have knee capped him. There is barely anything to watch. This franchise just keeps dismantling hope and optimism.

And sadly I know the team is going to screw up the off-season. Sure feels like rock bottom but I know this franchise has new ways to bottom out.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 09:57 AM by TheDuke007. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-06-2021, 09:10 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: It is as hard to post as it is to watch. Thanks for the analysis.

By absolutely knee capping this draft we are once again Yeats away from mediocre play and locking into the post season. I don't understand why none of the drafted guys are seeing the field. You can't say it is best chance to win because that ship sailed week 1. The regression on offense is painful.

The coaching sucks. The reason they are compressing the routes is to keep Trevor from slinging it downfield and throwing picks. They are coaching him into a game manager and putting him in so many third and longs that it is impossible to put drives together.

They hate Robinson and have knee capped him. There is barely anything to watch. This franchise just keeps dismantling hope and optimism.

And sadly I know the team is going to screw up the off-season. Sure feels like rock bottom but I know this franchise has new ways to bottom out.

To make it worse, four of his eight carries came when the team was down by 30 points in the 4th quarter.  At that point, you might as well rest him in order to keep him healthy for the next game, particularly if he is nursing an injury.  This coaching staff has no idea what it is doing.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 10:09 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

My impressions of the Rams game-

Lawrence is still a great prospect and I like a lot of what I see out of him.  But damn, he doesn't get much support out of this offense at all.  Marvin Jones doesn't seem to get open, Chenault still can't run pass patterns and can't figure out when he's supposed to stop and when he's supposed to keep running, and the coaching staff can't seem to figure out a game plan that Trevor can execute under those circumstances.  And as for the Rams game, Trevor was running for his life out there to avoid getting killed. 

It's easy to say we should commit to the run more, but when you get 2 yards a carry, and the backs start fumbling, you're stuck with receivers that can't get open and an offensive line that can't keep Aaron Donald out of the backfield. 

And then to literally add insult to injury, Trevor got hit by a helmet right in the jaw and somehow, the refs didn't see it.  

I hope Trevor can hang in there mentally and physically, and just get to next season. 

That's it.  In spite of these games being unwatchable, I can't seem to stop watching.  I continue to root for this dumpster fire of a team.  I guess it's just 27 years of habit.

Poor Trevor.  I really feel sorry for him.

(12-06-2021, 10:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My impressions of the Rams game-

Lawrence is still a great prospect and I like a lot of what I see out of him.  But damn, he doesn't get much support out of this offense at all.  Marvin Jones doesn't seem to get open, Chenault still can't run pass patterns and can't figure out when he's supposed to stop and when he's supposed to keep running, and the coaching staff can't seem to figure out a game plan that Trevor can execute under those circumstances.  And as for the Rams game, Trevor was running for his life out there to avoid getting killed. 

It's easy to say we should commit to the run more, but when you get 2 yards a carry, and the backs start fumbling, you're stuck with receivers that can't get open and an offensive line that can't keep Aaron Donald out of the backfield. 

And then to literally add insult to injury, Trevor got hit by a helmet right in the jaw and somehow, the refs didn't see it.  

I hope Trevor can hang in there mentally and physically, and just get to next season. 

That's it.  In spite of these games being unwatchable, I can't seem to stop watching.  I continue to root for this dumpster fire of a team.  I guess it's just 27 years of habit.

Poor Trevor.  I really feel sorry for him.

He’ll be okay because he understands he was drafted by the worst team in the league. I’m sure he’s well aware of all the other first pick QBs that floundered their first year. I’m also very confident he is under no illusion this first year would be fulfilling. That doesn’t make it any easier, just expected.

I see this picture of him from yesterday and think of what advice Elon Musk gave to young struggling entrepreneurs: “When you’re chewing on glass and staring into the abyss, keep going.”

[Image: 2XD5KQKFUVFA3HGPHFN4IQ4SBM.jpg?_a=ATABlAA0]

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 11:54 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Watching this product is like constantly returning to a restaurant that serves bad food. We keep hoping every week that it's going to taste better, but it rarely does. Every week we suffer from heartburn and occasional retching, and yet we continue to consume the rotting product because its the only restaurant in town. The board of health never conducts inspections because the people have to eat, and besides, someone has to play the role of 'worst' restaurant, otherwise, we couldn't have a 'best' somewhere else. And the restaurant is making money, so why worry about running a quality establishment? Eventually, all the people either got sick or began going out of town for thier food, so the restauranteur finally sold it at a huge profit and it was relocated.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The damning stat of the day: outside of our touchdown, every drive in the first half was three plays or less.

The second half saw a few more longer than that, but we can't even amass garbage time stats. It's unbelievable how inept we are. It's no wonder the D is wilting as the season drags on.

(12-06-2021, 10:58 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Watching this product is like constantly returning to a restaurant that serves bad food. We keep hoping every week that it's going to taste better, but it rarely does. Every week we suffer from heartburn and occasional retching, and yet we continue  to consume the rotting product because its the only restaurant in town. The board of health never conducts inspections because the people have to eat, and besides, someone has to play the role of 'worst' restaurant, otherwise, we couldn't have a 'best' somewhere else. And the restaurant is making money, so why worry about running a quality establishment? Eventually, all the people either got sick or began going out of town for thier food, so the restauranteur finally sold it at a huge profit and it was relocated.

Good analogy.