Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential Crazy Offseason - Rumor(s)

(12-06-2021, 03:16 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 03:12 PM)p_rushing Wrote: For the most part it won't matter that Tony is involved, it will be all Meyer with Tony providing some input or putting names forward that his analytics say to target. I think Meyer has final say.

If anything is going to improve, Meyer has to take responsibility for all the coaching and get coaches he can work with and agree with. He cannot just delegate to coaches that are terrible as they can't handle the additional leadership responsibilities.

He has the largest coaching staff and administration in the NFL - Meyer just sucks at this.

I agree but to improve it, he has to take ownership and find better coaches. It seems like he just threw together a coaching staff of available coaches instead of going and getting coaches he could work with. It's like someone else said go an hire these NFL experienced guys, even if they sucked previously. This is more on the offensive side as the defense has tried to improve and showing some promise of getting better.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-06-2021, 02:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:42 PM)Jags239 Wrote: I follow Dilla on Twitter a haven’t seen that. I may have missed. Was that recently?
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14631...48040?s=20

Wow. Get rid of balke

I'm willing to try anything as long as Baalke and Bevell are gone.

Don't we hear the same thing every year- that Tony is taking over as GM?

Baalke had such a bad reputation and a spotty track record at best. Keeping him on board never made any sense other than just having a figurehead to help Urban out who we all assumed was the real GM. But if what you are saying is true and Baalke has legitimate control over the roster, that's a major issue. And if he is already butting heads with Urban and the staff, I'm not sure what purpose he is serving.

Going by the lack of production from players of this past off season, Baalke should be shown the boot.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

He's supposed to be serving Khan and is reporting to Khan.

Well, if we're stuck with Meyer but Bevell is out. Can he hire Doug Pederson as the offensive coordinator so he can take his job in 2023?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-06-2021, 05:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Well, if we're stuck with Meyer but Bevell is out. Can he hire Doug Pederson as the offensive coordinator so he can take his job in 2023?

How will Meyer get fired if the OC does his job and improves the team?

(12-06-2021, 05:50 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 05:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Well, if we're stuck with Meyer but Bevell is out. Can he hire Doug Pederson as the offensive coordinator so he can take his job in 2023?

How will Meyer get fired if the OC does his job and improves the team?
They won't be a good team collectively next year again under Meyer but Lawrence will look like a legit QB under Pederson. Khan will see that and go the Doug Marrone route with him like they did after Gus Bradley.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Im hoping the Tony Khan rumours arent true but wouldnt be surprised to see Khan give him a shot. Sadly its not the experienced NFL brain that we need in that job so see us spinning wheels again for a few seasons.

With the keeping Meyer but letting Baalke and Bevell gone, i think of that line from Breaking Bad. 'You chose a half measure when you should have gone all the way'

But sadly thats Khans style. Have no idea how the guy is a billionaire running his businesses like this.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 06:14 PM by TheDogCatcher. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-06-2021, 02:13 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So, take what I am about to say with a grain of salt, as with any rumor.

From a source that I cannot disclose on, but that I think has a modicum of credibility, there WILL be changes in the offseason.

From what I can gather, there have been disagreements inside the building, especially as the losses pile up. This is nothing new; an example is that apparently Urban wanted to claim Reynolds off waivers, and Baalke said nah, he's JAG; other players Urban wanted, Baalke vetoed, despite Urban being GM in the shadows. Urban is not blameless ofc, we have seen that, but another rumored example is that Cullen wanted Judon on defense (tied for 3rd in league for sacks, was a FA) and again, vetoed by Baalke. 

So, what does this all mean (i.e. what are the rumors)?

• Urban, ofc, is staying. Sigh. I guess he gets a shot since he was "vetoed" by Baalke that would have perhaps led to better results this year.
  •  Baalke is gone 
  •  Bevell is gone
  •  Schotty and Warhop are 50/50
  • And finally, this one is strange: Tony Khan will assume a duo GM duty with Urban in the offseason and they will make drafting decisions together from there on out. 

Again, make sure take your salt with this helping. I do not make the claim that this is definitely happening, but I do smell some "smoke" to it.

Who's Reynolds?

Funny thing is Tony Khan, being an analytics guy, might be a better drafter than Baalke. You can be around the league or any profession for a long time and still be terrible at it. That's why the commonplace HR job descriptions of "5 years of nose picking required" are misguided. I can be a better nose picker with only one year experience than someone who's been at it a long time. I'm very thorough and no booger gets left behind.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I'm assuming Urban Meyer will stay. But I agree with everyone that Baalke and a lot of the coaching staff should get the boot.

(12-06-2021, 02:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:13 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So, take what I am about to say with a grain of salt, as with any rumor.

From a source that I cannot disclose on, but that I think has a modicum of credibility, there WILL be changes in the offseason.

From what I can gather, there have been disagreements inside the building, especially as the losses pile up. This is nothing new; an example is that apparently Urban wanted to claim Reynolds off waivers, and Baalke said nah, he's JAG; other players Urban wanted, Baalke vetoed, despite Urban being GM in the shadows. Urban is not blameless ofc, we have seen that, but another rumored example is that Cullen wanted Judon on defense (tied for 3rd in league for sacks, was a FA) and again, vetoed by Baalke. 

• Urban, ofc, is staying. Sigh. I guess he gets a shot since he was "vetoed" by Baalke that would have perhaps led to better results this year.
  •  Baalke is gone 
  •  Bevell is gone
  • And finally, this one is strange: Tony Khan will assume a duo GM duty with Urban in the offseason and they will make drafting decisions together from there on out. 

Again, make sure take your salt with this helping. I do not make the claim that this is definitely happening, but I do smell some "smoke" to it.
Dilla (who is also well connected) confirmed the bolded as well.

Reynolds is JAG but the Jags don't even have that hahaha

Warhop needs the boot as well as Lal. I can see a lot of those things happening.
I don't know how true these rumors are, but getting Rid of Baalke would be an improvement I think.

I would have concerns about Urban having personnel control as well as coaching duties, but I know Baalke does not inspire confidence.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-06-2021, 02:24 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dilla (who is also well connected) confirmed the bolded as well.

Warhop needs the boot as well as Lal. I can see a lot of those things happening.

Every time someone says it can't be worse... Wallbash

Tony taking over GM duties could be really bad news, because if he fails there's not going to be anyone to fire him.

I agree.  He will have the job for life even if he's terrible.  Also, hasn't he been doing analytics for this team sine Khan took over?  How has that worked out for us?  When you are this bad, you don't promote from within.  We need a clean slate with a GM who has been successful in the NFL.

BTW, I don't put much into these rumors.  I think they are just speculation and guesswork.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 06:58 PM by SamusAranX. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-06-2021, 06:50 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:24 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Every time someone says it can't be worse... Wallbash

Tony taking over GM duties could be really bad news, because if he fails there's not going to be anyone to fire him.

I agree.  He will have the job for life even if he's terrible.  Also, hasn't he been doing analytics for this team sine Khan took over?  How has that worked out for us?  When you are this bad, you don't promote from within.  We need a clean slate with a GM who has been successful in the NFL.

BTW, I don't put much into these rumors.  I think they are just speculation and guesswork.

If the rumors are true; tony could have been analyzing until his eyes bled, but baalke has vetoed a lot. So between that and Caldwell actually drafting some decent players using khans analytics the in second round and below, I have tepid optimism.

(12-06-2021, 06:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dilla (who is also well connected) confirmed the bolded as well.

I don't know how true these rumors are, but getting Rid of Baalke would be an improvement I think.

I would have concerns about Urban having personnel control as well as coaching duties, but I know Baalke does not inspire confidence.

Per the source Tony Khan would have dual Gm powers so Urban won’t have complete control. I personally think he [Urban] has it now but the sources claim Baalke does. The way it’s presented, it’s basically been a Baalke vs Urban power struggle. Sources also indicate friction between bevell and urban but that’s been all but confirmed. My question is this; if urban hates what bevell is doing why doesn’t he step in? Is he that ignorant, or is someone above e.g. Baalke stopping him? Who knows

(12-06-2021, 06:12 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

•  Baalke is gone 
  •  Bevell is gone

Who's Reynolds?

Funny thing is Tony Khan, being an analytics guy, might be a better drafter than Baalke. You can be around the league or any profession for a long time and still be terrible at it. That's why the commonplace HR job descriptions of "5 years of nose picking required" are misguided. I can be a better nose picker with only one year experience than someone who's been at it a long time. I'm very thorough and no booger gets left behind.

Reynolds was the WR the Rams cut for OBJ. I’m not claiming it’s true but to his credit urban apparently wanted him but was overruled. I don’t think Reynolds would drastically improve the offense but it at least shows of pulse of effort from Urban who has been mostly a zombie in press conferences.

(12-06-2021, 06:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm assuming Urban Meyer will stay.  But I agree with everyone that Baalke and a lot of the coaching staff should get the boot.

It's kind of weird how ppl just assume Tony would be terrible in a front office role.

Especially when he was the guy pushing to make James Robinson a priority UDFA signing.

It just sucks that Trevor is going to already have to learn a new offense. I guess that’s the Jaguar way.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021, 09:35 PM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-06-2021, 09:24 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: It just sucks that Trevor is going to already have to learn a new offense. I guess that’s the Jaguar way.

I think the most important thing for him is learning to quickly identify what defense he's facing, what routes the receivers should be taking, and which ones he should expect to come open and when. 

A new offense mostly just means new terminology, but hopefully also some plays that can get a mediocre receiver or two open in the sort of way I see guys getting open against us.