Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential Crazy Offseason - Rumor(s)

(12-06-2021, 08:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 06:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm assuming Urban Meyer will stay.  But I agree with everyone that Baalke and a lot of the coaching staff should get the boot.

It's kind of weird how ppl just assume Tony would be terrible in a front office role.

Especially when he was the guy pushing to make James Robinson a priority UDFA signing.

I welcome him and Urban making the draft decisions. We have had many Baalke's over the last 10 years. We usually get a San Francisco cast off for that position.  This has put us where we are.   Besides it is his families team, also the bar really is not too high.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think a very large reason that Urban kept Baalke around in the first place was so that he would have someone to shove under the bus if his tenure started exactly like it has.

I would add that since I don't believe the coaches are as bad as it seems there must be something else going on behind the scenes.

Even though I think Tony should be an intern at one of the professional franchises to learn what it's like to be an owner, I can see why having the owner be the GM is a good thing. There will be no more passing the buck then. The guy responsible last year, this year and the next goes by the name of Khan. Putting Tony in the FO will make that obvious to even the most stupid board member.

The last thing this franchise needs is more Khan decision making. What is the common denominator for all these losing years? Khan ownership. What was the last good decision Khan made? The billboards? Hired the wrong people time after time. The fans did not want Baalke. Everyone could have seem this being a mess. And Meyer was a terrible hire. So was Bradley and Coughlin. What about Mularkey? Nobody thought that was a good decision at thr time - and it wasn’t! The fish smells at its head.

(12-06-2021, 02:13 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So, take what I am about to say with a grain of salt, as with any rumor.

From a source that I cannot disclose on, but that I think has a modicum of credibility, there WILL be changes in the offseason.

From what I can gather, there have been disagreements inside the building, especially as the losses pile up. This is nothing new; an example is that apparently Urban wanted to claim Reynolds off waivers, and Baalke said nah, he's JAG; other players Urban wanted, Baalke vetoed, despite Urban being GM in the shadows. Urban is not blameless ofc, we have seen that, but another rumored example is that Cullen wanted Judon on defense (tied for 3rd in league for sacks, was a FA) and again, vetoed by Baalke. 

So, what does this all mean (i.e. what are the rumors)?

• Urban, ofc, is staying. Sigh. I guess he gets a shot since he was "vetoed" by Baalke that would have perhaps led to better results this year.
  •  Baalke is gone 
  •  Bevell is gone
  •  Schotty and Warhop are 50/50
  • And finally, this one is strange: Tony Khan will assume a duo GM duty with Urban in the offseason and they will make drafting decisions together from there on out. 

Again, make sure take your salt with this helping. I do not make the claim that this is definitely happening, but I do smell some "smoke" to it.

If the bold is true, I can't do this anymore. The entire reason this franchise is so [BLEEP] is due to the Khan's and their complete lack of football knowledge/hires. Now they want that level of incompetence SELECTING PLAYERS? I'm good.

(12-06-2021, 09:24 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: It just sucks that Trevor is going to already have to learn a new offense. I guess that’s the Jaguar way.

So you're telling me that they actually run some sort of offense?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 09:48 AM by Mikey.)

(12-06-2021, 05:30 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Going by the lack of production from players of this past off season, Baalke should be shown the boot.

based on the way the org restructured with Urbz 1a and Baalke 1b in the FO, I don't see how you can separate the two. Urbz is every part responsible for what sees the field every Sunday as Baalke is. He made this bed, and now it's time to be put to rest.

(12-06-2021, 06:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm assuming Urban Meyer will stay.  But I agree with everyone that Baalke and a lot of the coaching staff should get the boot.

If all the undercoaches have to get the boot, what does that say about the guy who hired them?

Does round 2 give you any confidence that he'll do any better?

(12-07-2021, 02:23 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I would add that since I don't believe the coaches are as bad as it seems there must be something else going on behind the scenes.

Even though I think Tony should be an intern at one of the professional franchises to learn what it's like to be an owner, I can see why having the owner be the GM is a good thing. There will be no more passing the buck then. The guy responsible last year, this year and the next goes by the name of Khan. Putting Tony in the FO will make that obvious to even the most stupid board member.

Also, there will be no secrecy or misleading to the owner regarding what is going on in the war room over these personnel disputes.

Granted that the OP cited rumor, but I can't say I would fully trust the HC tossing the co-GM under the bus if I'm the owner and wondering why I don't just flush everything and start fresh. In that situation, the HC is gonna be motivated to save their own skin. With Tony inside that room, the story will be crystal clear whether the HC actually knows what they are doing or putting effort in to improve the franchise.

I'm all for it. Can't get worse.....can it?

(12-07-2021, 09:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 02:23 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I would add that since I don't believe the coaches are as bad as it seems there must be something else going on behind the scenes.

Also, there will be no secrecy or misleading to the owner regarding what is going on in the war room over these personnel disputes.

Granted that the OP cited rumor, but I can't say I would fully trust the HC tossing the co-GM under the bus if I'm the owner and wondering why I don't just flush everything and start fresh. In that situation, the HC is gonna be motivated to save their own skin. With Tony inside that room, the story will be crystal clear whether the HC actually knows what they are doing or putting effort in to improve the franchise.

I'm all for it. Can't get worse.....can it?

Now you did it...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 10:46 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Why can't we make in-season coaching moves? Other teams do it all the time. I realize it isn't going to change things. But it does send messages that they care.

(12-07-2021, 10:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why can't we make in-season coaching moves? Other teams do it all the time. I realize it isn't going to change things. But it does send messages that they care.

We can make in-season coaching moves, but the problem with doing it when a coach has been here for less than a full season is, it sends a message to coaching candidates that they won't have any job security in Jacksonville, and they could be fired after less than 1 season.  I think a lot of candidates would opt out and go somewhere else if they saw that extreme lack of patience here.

(12-07-2021, 11:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14682...42401?s=20

No just throw more money at them and it will work.  Nah this sucks. This franchise is radio active. There isn't enough money in the world to overcome the tragedy of this franchise right now.

We are stuck because we don't draft well, develop well or even retain anyone of value.

I kind of like this. Tony Khan seems much more fired up about the franchise than his dad. And having more hands on skin in the game is never a bad thing. Plus, he's inheriting this, he's the eventual future owner if he chooses to be, and has a chance to put his stamp on it, to take it farther than Dad could/would. What they're doing now isnt working, give it a shot.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-07-2021, 11:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14682...42401?s=20

90% of players go where the money is. The other 10% are 8n the tail end of their career chasing a ring. We don't want those guys.

Dilla is clearly butthurt over this Robinson situation and it is affecting his clear judgement. Also, I think he is 13 years old.

(12-07-2021, 01:33 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

90% of players go where the money is. The other 10% are 8n the tail end of their career chasing a ring. We don't want those guys.

Dilla is clearly butthurt over this Robinson situation and it is affecting his clear judgement. Also, I think he is 13 years old.

They just announced the cap is skyrocketing post covid season as expected. Every team is going to have cap space. The elite FA will get the big money plus get to choose a contender. We'll get stuck overpaying the 3rd tier FA like Jenkins and RRH again.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2021, 02:02 PM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-07-2021, 01:54 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 01:33 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 90% of players go where the money is. The other 10% are 8n the tail end of their career chasing a ring. We don't want those guys.

They just announced the cap is skyrocketing post covid season as expected. Every team is going to have cap space. The elite FA will get the big money plus get to choose a contender. We'll get stuck overpaying the 3rd tier FA like Jenkins and RRH again.

So this literally changes nothing for us compared to the past. For starters,  we need a GM who knows what the hell he is doing. No consistently good team counts on free agency to stay competitive.  

I'd focus ALL FA money on the offensive side of the ball to get TL the help he desperately needs and draft defense before TL turns into Gabbert.

(12-07-2021, 02:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 01:54 PM)Upper Wrote: They just announced the cap is skyrocketing post covid season as expected. Every team is going to have cap space. The elite FA will get the big money plus get to choose a contender. We'll get stuck overpaying the 3rd tier FA like Jenkins and RRH again.

So this literally changes nothing for us compared to the past. For starters,  we need a GM who knows what the hell he is doing. No consistently good team counts on free agency to stay competitive.  

I'd focus ALL FA money on the offensive side of the ball to get TL the help he desperately needs and draft defense before TL turns into Gabbert.
They should have done that in 2021 but they ended up with Marvin Jones, Hyde and Manhertz.

Every year they have TLaw, the main focus should be making sure the offense improves until it's actually a strength of the team.

(12-07-2021, 11:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 10:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why can't we make in-season coaching moves? Other teams do it all the time. I realize it isn't going to change things. But it does send messages that they care.

We can make in-season coaching moves, but the problem with doing it when a coach has been here for less than a full season is, it sends a message to coaching candidates that they won't have any job security in Jacksonville, and they could be fired after less than 1 season.  I think a lot of candidates would opt out and go somewhere else if they saw that extreme lack of patience here.

I think there is a vast difference between firing someone for "we expected a standard of preparedness or accountability at this stage in the season that is not being demonstrated" and "our record is bad and we aren't sure the right guys were hired in January."

Shad's track record if anything is one of excessive patience in the face of failure. Outside of Mularkey, everyone has been given time, if they were proving that they were up to the task. I think that's the difference between the current staff and ones in the past.

(12-07-2021, 03:18 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 11:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: We can make in-season coaching moves, but the problem with doing it when a coach has been here for less than a full season is, it sends a message to coaching candidates that they won't have any job security in Jacksonville, and they could be fired after less than 1 season.  I think a lot of candidates would opt out and go somewhere else if they saw that extreme lack of patience here.

I think there is a vast difference between firing someone for "we expected a standard of preparedness or accountability at this stage in the season that is not being demonstrated" and "our record is bad and we aren't sure the right guys were hired in January."

Shad's track record if anything is one of excessive patience in the face of failure. Outside of Mularkey, everyone has been given time, if they were proving that they were up to the task. I think that's the difference between the current staff and ones in the past.

Which is odd considering he goes through managers of his soccer team like a temp agency.