Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our owner is clueless!

Probably the root of the problem

But if you think about it, we hired all different types of coaches since Del Rio was fired and Khan took over. And only Marrone worked, for only one season! The rest were absolute busts.

Maybe the next type of coach is the young, offensive-minded guy

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-15-2021, 08:35 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Probably the root of the problem

But if you think about it, we hired all different types of coaches since Del Rio was fired and Khan took over. And only Marrone worked, for only one season! The rest were absolute busts.

The problem is that expectations have been unrealistic around here for a long time. Marrone was a perfectly acceptable NFL head coach, and if he were here with Cullen as his DC the Jaguars would probably have 2 or 3 more wins this season, starting with taking care of the Texans in week one. He was a few bad calls away from taking a team with Bortles at QB to the Superbowl.

Marrone's problem was he never had a legitimate NFL quarterback. The closest he had was Bortles, who had the mindset to win, but not the throwing ability. If the Jaguars had drafted Mahomes instead of Fournette Marrone would still be the coach right now, and the Jaguars would probably have won a Superbowl.

Khan needs to focus on finding a GM and let him run things, the coach as the GM thing rarely works. That was a really dumb move, especially a guy like Urban who had none of the prerequisites to do it at the NFL level.

The next GM needs to be a right hand man of one of the elite GMs in the league, and Khan needs to get out of his way. Caldwell almost worked, but he couldn't evaluate QB talent. The Jaguars now have a quarterback, so the hard part is done. Now to just get someone that won't keep flushing first rounders on running backs and tweeners.

(12-15-2021, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 08:35 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Probably the root of the problem

The problem is that expectations have been unrealistic around here for a long time. Marrone was a perfectly acceptable NFL head coach, and if he were here with Cullen as his DC the Jaguars would probably have 2 or 3 more wins this season, starting with taking care of the Texans in week one. He was a few bad calls away from taking a team with Bortles at QB to the Superbowl.

Marrone's problem was he never had a legitimate NFL quarterback. The closest he had was Bortles, who had the mindset to win, but not the throwing ability. If the Jaguars had drafted Mahomes instead of Fournette Marrone would still be the coach right now, and the Jaguars would probably have won a Superbowl.

Khan needs to focus on finding a GM and let him run things, the coach as the GM thing rarely works. That was a really dumb move, especially a guy like Urban who had none of the prerequisites to do it at the NFL level.

The next GM needs to be a right hand man of one of the elite GMs in the league, and Khan needs to get out of his way. Caldwell almost worked, but he couldn't evaluate QB talent. The Jaguars now have a quarterback, so the hard part is done. Now to just get someone that won't keep flushing first rounders on running backs and tweeners.

Khan has entrusted Lamping to run the business side of the Jags for years now. It's a mystery to me why he hasn't realized the same model will work for the football side. 

To me, were I a team owner, a very good GM would be regarded as the most important piece of building and maintaining a winning organization.

(12-15-2021, 09:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The problem is that expectations have been unrealistic around here for a long time. Marrone was a perfectly acceptable NFL head coach, and if he were here with Cullen as his DC the Jaguars would probably have 2 or 3 more wins this season, starting with taking care of the Texans in week one. He was a few bad calls away from taking a team with Bortles at QB to the Superbowl.

Khan has entrusted Lamping to run the business side of the Jags for years now. It's a mystery to me why he hasn't realized the same model will work for the football side. 

To me, were I a team owner, a very good GM would be regarded as the most important piece of building and maintaining a winning organization.
He tried but TC screwed it up. He tried trusting the GM, that didn't work, he tried trusting someone to oversee everything and that ended up costing the team big time. Now He is left with no one and keeps making bad decisions.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021, 09:53 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-15-2021, 09:49 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 09:37 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Khan has entrusted Lamping to run the business side of the Jags for years now. It's a mystery to me why he hasn't realized the same model will work for the football side. 

He tried but TC screwed it up. He tried trusting the GM, that didn't work, he tried trusting someone to oversee everything and that ended up costing the team big time. Now He is left with no one and keeps making bad decisions.

Because he didn't find a single good GM. What he should have done was fire Caldwell and bring in someone better qualified to manage the team. Instead, he did it piecemeal and created leadership conflicts.

acctuttly hes being paid extra to make sure jags keep loseing so the nfl can ave team moved to London.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(12-15-2021, 09:54 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: acctuttly hes being paid extra to make sure jags keep loseing so the nfl can ave team moved to London.

Acctuttly no, that's false, he simply sucks.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(12-15-2021, 09:54 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: acctuttly hes being paid extra to make sure jags keep loseing so the nfl can ave team moved to London.

I find it amazing that you have discovered this when none of the people that are paid to cover football have stumbled upon this conspiracy.  I look forward to your first column.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-14-2021, 07:26 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm just glad we are making the headlines.  Heck, even Jim Rome often has full segments to illustrate the disfunction of Urban Meyer.

When you make a hire to get headlines, be careful what you wish for.

(12-14-2021, 07:33 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m telling you guys...Khan flat out doesn’t care if the Jaguars win or lose. He literally gets paid millions either way.

Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys for $150 million and now they are worth Billions. I don’t know the numbers on Khan’s deal but the Jags are probably triple what he bought them for.

He doesn’t think like the casual fan or even us diehard fans. He stays out of the way and out of the tabloids bc he doesn’t have a burning passion for football. I bet the guy doesn’t know the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4. And if Khan don’t care about winning, then this franchise will suffer as long as he is the owner.

He just don’t know football man. He just sees this as a cash cow. That’s it.

I don't know that you can say that.

If he doesn't care, why does he spend money on the facilities? Why not just pull a Major League and cut every expense possible, if the bottom line is the only thing that makes him smile? If he doesn't care, why did he fire Marrone and pay someone else exponentially more to get the same (if not worse) result  for his dollar spent? If he doesn't care, why not trade away all the top picks each darft for a glut of later, more affordable picks?

I think he cares. I think he also doesn't know how to fix the problem. I think he is deeply concerned with being liked, by his staff, the city, his players, and the team's fans.

I've been in public-facing positions before, and no matter how ugly things are in the back room, you make a point to bring the positive to the front. You don't focus on the crumbling walls. You remain optimistic and committed to the product. Doesn't mean you don't spend many sleepless nights agonizing over why it isn't working, or what you could do differently to make it better.

(12-15-2021, 09:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 09:49 AM)p_rushing Wrote: He tried but TC screwed it up. He tried trusting the GM, that didn't work, he tried trusting someone to oversee everything and that ended up costing the team big time. Now He is left with no one and keeps making bad decisions.

Because he didn't find a single good GM. What he should have done was fire Caldwell and bring in someone better qualified to manage the team. Instead, he did it piecemeal and created leadership conflicts.
There is the problem that you stated, he can't trust the GM because he doesn't know football but the people he trusts screw up and are forced to be fired.

He definitely needs to find someone to run the team but it's obvious he is bad at making hiring decisions. He probably needs to just hire a firm to do the GM & coach search.

(12-15-2021, 08:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If our owner is clueless, then we're pretty much screwed, right?  No hope?

Sadly we are about there. I may have over fandomed at various points but my bar and expectations are really low and we can't even trend positive.

The patience with Caldwell is baffling and has burned the franchise badly. He was good at acquiring picks but didn't do anything with them. The animosity with the players is a lasting scar that i hoped Trevor would bridge to new success but Meyer is an anchor.

Disclaimer
Cullen has exceeded my expectations. It is really hard to move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 because of the differences in player types and what it takes to acquire the players. Considering the shaky state of the backfield, he really is a bright spot. It is a shame that we couldn't get any support out of offensive development. Meyer is a dang side show.

Personally, I'm betting if UM doesn't quit "for health reasons" he gets the boot at the season's end.
Read between the lines guys, Khan knows he has made a mistake again and will sort this out.
Too much bad publicity like he and the franchise has ever seen.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(12-15-2021, 10:17 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 09:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Because he didn't find a single good GM. What he should have done was fire Caldwell and bring in someone better qualified to manage the team. Instead, he did it piecemeal and created leadership conflicts.
There is the problem that you stated, he can't trust the GM because he doesn't know football but the people he trusts screw up and are forced to be fired.

He definitely needs to find someone to run the team but it's obvious he is bad at making hiring decisions. He probably needs to just hire a firm to do the GM & coach search.

Completely agree. He should give Korn Ferry a call.

(12-14-2021, 10:34 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Im starting to think the Jags are just some kind of money laundering operation for Khan at the moment.

Never known an owner so happy to be last all the time.

The problem is that these owners make huge money whether they win or lose.  Some of them don't care about football and couldn't care less whether they lose forever as long as the profits are flowing in.
[Image: pqk1i5F.jpg]

(12-14-2021, 07:53 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-14-2021, 07:33 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m telling you guys...Khan flat out doesn’t care if the Jaguars win or lose. He literally gets paid millions either way.

Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys for $150 million and now they are worth Billions. I don’t know the numbers on Khan’s deal but the Jags are probably triple what he bought them for.

He doesn’t think like the casual fan or even us diehard fans. He stays out of the way and out of the tabloids bc he doesn’t have a burning passion for football. I bet the guy doesn’t know the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4. And if Khan don’t care about winning, then this franchise will suffer as long as he is the owner.

He just don’t know football man. He just sees this as a cash cow. That’s it.
To Jerry Jones’ credit, he does have a big hand in drafting and had won 3 Super Bowls.  May not be the best analogy

The SBs came when Jimmy J was handling all that. Jerry took the reins after Parcells left, they started to stink, and he was man enough to let his son start handling some of the decisions. That's when they started building the lines (like Jimmy did!) and got much better.

I don't think Khan does a lot as far as forcing hands in the darft. I think this past offseason with TLaw on the board might be the closest he came to pushing for a player.

(12-15-2021, 08:19 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If our owner is clueless, then we're pretty much screwed, right?  No hope?

The hope is that the blind squirrel eventually stumbles upon a nut.

Or, the hope is that we were in fact wrong that he's completely clueless and he learns from past mistakes.

The only thing that might save us is The fact that he is so enamored with Trevor that he will boot his man Urbs to the curb for the sake of Tlaw. I mean once other owners and ppl he may confide in say Urbs is ruining Tlaw that may be the motivation to move on from the idiot. #FireUrbanMeyer!!!

Ask Vic:

Dinkus from Piney Woods, FL
While Shad Khan reflects and avoids being impulsive or acting helter skelter, Jacksonville burns.

The situation is so bad and appears to be so unsupervised and rudderless, yet, tolerated, I'm beginning to think there's some kind of genius strategy or sinister agenda that's beyond my innocent grasp. They can't possibly be that incompetent, right?

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021, 12:21 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-15-2021, 11:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Ask Vic:

Dinkus from Piney Woods, FL
While Shad Khan reflects and avoids being impulsive or acting helter skelter, Jacksonville burns.

The situation is so bad and appears to be so unsupervised and rudderless, yet, tolerated, I'm beginning to think there's some kind of genius strategy or sinister agenda that's beyond my innocent grasp. They can't possibly be that incompetent, right?

Ouch!  

It hurts to read that because it's true.