Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My impressions from the Green Bay game

Disclaimer! I watched to whole game from the Bud Zone on Sunday, while that did give me a nice perspective on plays developing there was also a depth of view issue that I didn't overcome. Anyway, here's what I saw on Sunday.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">The Offense rolled out two Tight Ends a lot on Sunday. And they were usually on the same side. Someone who taped and rewatched the game can check on this for me, but it seemed like 80 and 89 were aligned to the same side the majority of the time, with some consideration given to Down and Distance of course. I'm not certain if they did this to grow their blocking surface or to have two receiving threats on one side, but I do like the versatility that gives the Offense.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Yeldon was a factor. Not a big one and really just a small one, but a factor nonetheless. Now, this is where my vantage point may be betraying me because I didn't immediately get to see the yardage he racked up. I think if a more reliable option would have been available as a backup, he might have been even more effective but we'll never know. I do know that I was rather surprised that he only had something like 40 yards rushing. While he never popped a long run, I felt like he kept the Defense honest. The team needs to do more to grow his impact, but the potential is there.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Rodgers had to, and did, make some incredible plays. That TD at the end of the First Half?! Are ya kidding me?!?!

<p style="margin-left:40px;">This team will have to fight all year against it's own youth and lack of respect. I'm not a big "blame the refs" guy, but a lot of those penalties would have gone both ways for a few other teams. The only way to get to that point is to win. They are faced with an uphill battle, but it's a battle they can win.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:<p style="margin-left:40px;">This team will have to fight all year against it's own youth and lack of respect. I'm not a big "blame the refs" guy, but a lot of those penalties would have gone both ways for a few other teams. The only way to get to that point is to win. They are faced with an uphill battle, but it's a battle they can win.

Good perspective, Deac.

On the part I quoted, one of my long-time clients/friends is a Bears fan in Chicago who caught our game and basically said this verbatim. We're expected to lose every game (even now) and until that changes, you can't bank on refs calling a fair game.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

I watched the entire game at a bar. I remember the calls being somewhat against us, but nothing crazy. Could anyone post some pics/vids of the plays where we should have had the call go our way?

Cypriens "penalty" on Cook at the end of first half was bogus. That's all I really remember.
Shock the world

The first pass to Robinson...dude hit him three feet before the ball arrived.  Of course I wasn't surprised that it was not called.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:The first pass to Robinson...dude hit him three feet before the ball arrived. Of course I wasn't surprised that it was not called.

Yeah that was awful also, but we did get the call right after that play
Shock the world

Yes, but it was a much shorter pass.

Have you seen my baseball?

I love the gif videos that are posted. I would love to see Lee's other drop. Keep asking but I guess nobody has it.

The incredible Rodgers pass should never have happened. The PI that set them up for it was complete garbage.

Quote:I love the gif videos that are posted. I would love to see Lee's other drop. Keep asking but I guess nobody has it.
It was a very run of the mill "run with the ball before you catch it" incident.  We've all seen it happen a kajillion times. This one was no different. 

Lee had the 'ol ants in his pants.  He'll settle down. 

Oh, and Deacon.....  ur dum.

Quote:<p style="margin-left:40px;">Yeldon was a factor. Not a big one and really just a small one, but a factor nonetheless. Now, this is where my vantage point may be betraying me because I didn't immediately get to see the yardage he racked up. I think if a more reliable option would have been available as a backup, he might have been even more effective but we'll never know. I do know that I was rather surprised that he only had something like 40 yards rushing. While he never popped a long run, I felt like he kept the Defense honest. The team needs to do more to grow his impact, but the potential is there.

I wasn't expecting to see a lot of his positive yardage come off the hip of Joeckel, either.  In addition to that, several runs he was able to scrape up 2-3 yards where there was nothing there.

Both he and the running game will be more effective when we get Ivory back.

But then, I'm sure they'll retool the game plan to help while Ivory is out as well.

He did what you expect from a team that ran against a stacked box, and were forced to the air situationally.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It was a very run of the mill "run with the ball before you catch it" incident.  We've all seen it happen a kajillion times. This one was no different. 

Lee had the 'ol ants in his pants.  He'll settle down. 

Oh, and Deacon.....  ur dum

Yeah, I write stuff like this from time to time to reinforce that idea.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2016, 09:35 PM by Project_2501.)

Yeldon was a factor in that he turned a few -4 yard plays into -1/no loss plays. He did quite well with what he had but our run blocking was GOD AWFUL. 

Lee had bad hands in college and will continue to have bad hands. You give up a bobble that leads to an opposing TD and the next drive you drop another, even easier pass? He should be the guy we risk on special teams and move Greene to his position on the offense. 

We always have terrible refs since we are small market terrible team Jaguars, at least in this game we got a couple calls and they somewhat made up for one of the missed PI calls by throwing a pretty much needless flag on the next play. It was pretty clear we got the short end of the stick on PI in general though, as Robinson was getting mauled. Some pretty clear holding misses as well. I don't think it was as big a deal as people pointed out, this week, but it certainly would have been nice to have decent refs. Gotta get some more wins to get guys that know what they are doing.

My big takeaways were that Ramsey is going to be a serious player, we are actually contesting balls in the air on defense, and that we executed well enough to get out of bad positions. In the past when we were 2nd and 18 the drive was over. This is no longer the case and its one of the reasons you really want a good passing game - you don't have to play perfect.

People are complaining about the refs, I could easily blame the loss on Lee or whatever, but I think Robinson having an off day was the worst thing for us. He caught some balls we really needed to but if he caught a couple of the jump balls like he normally does I think we win the game.

O yea, and we had no timeouts at the end, some serious problems to shore up there. I dont know if it was Bortles taking too long to read defense or coaches taking to long to get call out or whatever but wow.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:I watched the entire game at a bar. I remember the calls being somewhat against us, but nothing crazy. Could anyone post some pics/vids of the plays where we should have had the call go our way?

Cypriens "penalty" on Cook at the end of first half was bogus. That's all I really remember.
I don't have a video but Joeckle was called for a hold that the announcers even said eeeehhh on when they watched the replay. Also worth noting that there was obvious hands to Joeckles face that the announcers even said should have been called but wasn't. I thought we were getting hosed but nothing too serious on the calls, ARob plays a physical WR so I expect a little leniance both ways, but I was angry at the Joeckle holding call, especially since he was drew a flag while he was basically looking at the sky since his head was up in the air and a fist was in his face mask. How can you pay that much attention to two guys and call a hold but miss the hands to the face. But as stated earlier, when you're Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady/Drew Breese/Luck, you're going to get more calls than the other team. Those are the big wigs of the NFL right now
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

I'm starting to hate play action while in the shotgun.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Here are my impressions:

1. Bortles does look like he is improving.  The one interception was not his fault.  He did convert 3 4th downs but that play on the last 4 and 1 was horrible.  The offense is looking better in the redzone

2. The offensive line looks better but still has some work to do.  I am not sure how good GB defense is and they got 2 sacks but the line was certainly not horrible but it wasn't great either

3. The secondary looked good.  Except for maybe Cyprien but they had him playing him back instead of closer to the line. 

4. The pass rush will be a work in progress.  It seemed like Rodgers had all day back there. There is a reason that Caldwell went so hard after Olivier Vernon.  I say right now a pass rushing linebacker is the #1 priority in the offseason

Something else that stuck out to me in review, the Packers were diving at guys knees a lot. On the Arob circus catch I'm surprised he didn't sustain a knee injury the way he got tackled.

I know power rankings don't mean anything, but ESPN now has the Packers at 1 and Jags at 23
Shock the world

And for a young team, we've been getting screwed with week 1 opponents.

Panthers last year, Packers this year.

Texans, on the other hand, get the Bears...

There are 16 games to a season, but it would have gave this team a ton of confidence starting 1-0
Shock the world

^ The Panthers were not expected to be such a terrific team last season prior to the schedule coming out.

They did not have an excellent year in '14, and their expected star WR Kelvin Benjamin was out for the season.

There was no "screwing" the Jags with a tough week 1 opponent last year. It just happened to be unfortunate luck with how it turned out.

Even so, the Panthers weren't all that great to start the season last year. They kept getting much, much better as the season went on.

Quote:I'm starting to hate play action while in the shotgun.

To be fair, it seems like it's more of a Read - Run / Pass Option rather than a Play Action, but I get your point. The play just doesn't seem that effective to me.