Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Emerald Trail

Have I got this right?  $132 million to created a walking trail through Jacksonville's worst neighborhoods.  Does that seem like a good idea? 

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local...YDZBH4BG4/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I guess for the people that live in that area it might be a good idea. I don't see people from outside that area being all of sudden stricken with the desire to walk through themselves. I mean, lets face it, that area while some of it really pretty is sketchy. Even during the day its sketchy.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021, 03:24 PM by KingIngram052787.)

Is the thought that this will continue to help bring more people downtown?

I live next to a bike trail that was completed about 15 years ago. They are a very, very good thing. They attract small retailers and small apartments and help revitalize downtown areas.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-15-2021, 06:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: I live next to a bike trail that was completed about 15 years ago.  They are a very, very good thing.  They attract small retailers and small apartments and help revitalize downtown areas.

The area they are putting this in, a lot of people are scared to drive through, much less walk around in. I can’t seeing it getting a whole lot of usage, unless people like being accosted by the homeless people hanging out around there all day waiting for the shelters to open.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(12-15-2021, 07:57 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 06:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: I live next to a bike trail that was completed about 15 years ago.  They are a very, very good thing.  They attract small retailers and small apartments and help revitalize downtown areas.

The area they are putting this in, a lot of people are scared to drive through, much less walk around in. I can’t seeing it getting a whole lot of usage, unless people like being accosted by the homeless people hanging out around there all day waiting for the shelters to open.

I am well aware of what that area is like. Back when I lived in jacksonville, I had friends who lived in that area. It needs new investment and redevelopment, and bike trails are the type of thing that can be a catalyst, especially if they connect city parks and charming historic buildings.

(12-15-2021, 08:26 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 07:57 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: The area they are putting this in, a lot of people are scared to drive through, much less walk around in. I can’t seeing it getting a whole lot of usage, unless people like being accosted by the homeless people hanging out around there all day waiting for the shelters to open.

I am well aware of what that area is like. Back when I lived in jacksonville, I had friends who lived in that area. It needs new investment and redevelopment, and bike trails are the type of thing that can be a catalyst, especially if they connect city parks and charming historic buildings.

Unless, of course, they steal your bike. Then where's the catalyst?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

No one is going to use those trails. At least not for the purpose these folks think. This is a city not the Appalachian Trail or the PCT or the CDT.

(12-15-2021, 11:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: No one is going to use those trails. At least not for the purpose these folks think. This is a city not the Appalachian Trail or the PCT or the CDT.
I knew they would mention the beltway in Atlanta. Guess what happened there? All the bad got moved out because they couldn't afford it as the land became valuable and the owners either sold or rebuilt.

The liberals that want all this stuff never care about all the damage their gentrification does.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(12-16-2021, 02:51 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 11:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: No one is going to use those trails. At least not for the purpose these folks think. This is a city not the Appalachian Trail or the PCT or the CDT.
I knew they would mention the beltway in Atlanta. Guess what happened there? All the bad got moved out because they couldn't afford it as the land became valuable and the owners either sold or rebuilt.

The liberals that want all this stuff never care about all the damage their gentrification does.

But they're helping the less fortunate by making things pretty! 
/sarcasm

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2021, 11:12 PM by mikesez.)

(12-15-2021, 11:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: No one is going to use those trails. At least not for the purpose these folks think. This is a city not the Appalachian Trail or the PCT or the CDT.

It's not the end of the world when people move.  Gentrification is good.  Crime goes down, everyone wins. Affordable housing can be built elsewhere.

At least this isn't some snot fetish.

Damage? Who do you think is supposed to move out so that nice white liberals can move in? Don't say it loud though...

Look at the demographics of Seattle or San Francisco the last few years for the clue.

(12-17-2021, 06:43 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 02:51 AM)p_rushing Wrote: I knew they would mention the beltway in Atlanta. Guess what happened there? All the bad got moved out because they couldn't afford it as the land became valuable and the owners either sold or rebuilt.

Damage? Who do you think is supposed to move out so that nice white liberals can move in? Don't say it loud though...

Look at the demographics of Seattle or San Francisco the last few years for the clue.

5 Points to Springfield. Springfield to Arlington. The beat goes on.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-17-2021, 08:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-17-2021, 06:43 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Damage? Who do you think is supposed to move out so that nice white liberals can move in? Don't say it loud though...

5 Points to Springfield. Springfield to Arlington. The beat goes on.

And the Westside.

(12-16-2021, 11:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 02:51 AM)p_rushing Wrote: I knew they would mention the beltway in Atlanta. Guess what happened there? All the bad got moved out because they couldn't afford it as the land became valuable and the owners either sold or rebuilt.

It's not the end of the world when people move.  Gentrification is good.  Crime goes down elsewhere, everyone wins. Affordable housing can be built elsewhere.

Moving certain people out of a neighborhood can change the character of the area.  Relocating those people to a new neighborhood, does not change the character of the people.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-17-2021, 10:20 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 11:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's not the end of the world when people move.  Gentrification is good.  Crime goes down elsewhere, everyone wins. Affordable housing can be built elsewhere.

Moving certain people out of a neighborhood can change the character of the area.  Relocating those people to a new neighborhood, does not change the character of the people.

God's honest truth.

(12-17-2021, 10:20 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 11:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's not the end of the world when people move.  Gentrification is good.  Crime goes down elsewhere, everyone wins. Affordable housing can be built elsewhere.

If we really thought that human behavior depends only on intrinsic character and not on environment, we would put zero effort into making schools nicer, workplaces safer, and all jail sentences would be for life.

(12-17-2021, 10:44 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-17-2021, 10:20 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Moving certain people out of a neighborhood can change the character of the area.  Relocating those people to a new neighborhood, does not change the character of the people.

If we really thought that human behavior depends only on intrinsic character and not on environment, we would put zero effort into making schools nicer, workplaces safer, and all jail sentences would be for life.

Good point. I look forward to your petition to add subsidized housing to your neighborhood.

(12-17-2021, 06:43 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:

And every bourough in NYC
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption