Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shad hired you as the new General Manager of the Jaguars! Where do you start?

My take.

1. I understand there cannot be any more half measures.  It's time to hit the nuclear reset button and start with an entirely new slate.  You cannot build a new culture with crap left over from the old one.

-Clean House with the front office and coaches.  I'm like Donald Trump on a bad day of the show apprentice.  Scouts, position coaches, assistants, all have to go  It's going to be a mass exodus.  Few if any will survive the epic firings.

-Mass Cuts including long time jags need to be cut.  Linder can't stay healthy, Jack sucks in a 3-4, Cann has been mediocre for years, etc.    It's time to start fresh!

-I am hiring a coach with previous head coaching experience.  I want a real leader of men and do not care if he is offensive or defense minded.  Bellicheat is defensive minded and never had problems with offense.   I am looking at names like Jim Caldwell, Jim Harbaugh, Josh Mcdaniels,etc.  

-Whatever offensive coordinator I hire, I want Lawrence to sit in and evaluate the coach as well.  I want an OC that can build around Trevors Strengths instead of forcing him into a pro offense. 

-If I keep Cullen I want him to make a list of players available that he likes that can plug and play into this defense

-In free Agency I know I am facing an uphill battle.  With all the bad PR this team has gotten over the past few years, some are not going to want to come regardless of how much money we throw at them.  I would do my best to find players who really want to be here to build something instead of just collecting a check.

-In the draft it's pure best player available regardless of position.  I am doing my best to trade down into the first round.  This team needs a huge injection of talent. 

Going into this year I would understand this is a multi year rebuild process.  There is no delusion of a quick fix.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1. Hire Jim Caldwell or Doug Pederson as the headcoach as they have a proven track record of scheming, building, developing and winning at this level with a talented Quarterback.

2. I am targeting Terron Armstead, Chandler Jones, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Mike Williams & Orlando Brown Jr. in March as my tier I free agency targets. Mike Gesicki, Harold Landry, Duane Brown, Connor Williams, Will Fuller and Michael Gallup as my tier II free agency targets.

3. Draft wise it's all about improving at the premium positions and finding ways to make my coaching staff confident and my Quarterback comfortable. Wherever I failed or came up short in free agency is where my efforts are going towards this draft.

If I bolstered the offensive line but fell short at receiver? It's my job to gain value somehow in this draft there. If I bolstered the defensive line but maybe feel like I need an elite rusher still or if I got my 50/50 target at receiver but still want speed on the outside? I have to figure out a way to make the value fit.

4. Above all. Just make sure everybody is buying in. Over communicate with these guys. I want my staff to have a say at the table. I want my veterans on the team or designated captains that represent the team to have a say in this. Everyone has a stake in this. Where can we improve? Who do we want? Who do we need? Do we take a vote on this? It has to be a unified front.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Put the broom thru

(12-17-2021, 09:51 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My take.

1. I understand there cannot be any more half measures.  It's time to hit the nuclear reset button and start with an entirely new slate.  You cannot build a new culture with crap left over from the old one.

-Clean House with the front office and coaches.  I'm like Donald Trump on a bad day of the show apprentice.  Scouts, position coaches, assistants, all have to go  It's going to be a mass exodus.  Few if any will survive the epic firings.

-Mass Cuts including long time jags need to be cut.  Linder can't stay healthy, Jack sucks in a 3-4, Cann has been mediocre for years, etc.    It's time to start fresh!

-I am hiring a coach with previous head coaching experience.  I want a real leader of men and do not care if he is offensive or defense minded.  Bellicheat is defensive minded and never had problems with offense.   I am looking at names like Jim Caldwell, Jim Harbaugh, Josh Mcdaniels,etc.  

-Whatever offensive coordinator I hire, I want Lawrence to sit in and evaluate the coach as well.  I want an OC that can build around Trevors Strengths instead of forcing him into a pro offense. 

-If I keep Cullen I want him to make a list of players available that he likes that can plug and play into this defense

-In free Agency I know I am facing an uphill battle.  With all the bad PR this team has gotten over the past few years, some are not going to want to come regardless of how much money we throw at them.  I would do my best to find players who really want to be here to build something instead of just collecting a check.

-In the draft it's pure best player available regardless of position.  I am doing my best to trade down into the first round.  This team needs a huge injection of talent. 

Going into this year I would understand this is a multi year rebuild process.  There is no delusion of a quick fix.

Mass exodus but keeps Cullen. Scratchin my head

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 08:21 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 2 times in total.)

I'd start by talking to Doug Pederson, maybe have a shrink talk to him, too. If I come away believing the problems in Philly weren't because of a deficiency in him then he'd be my guy, though I'd also talk to some of the other big names like, Josh McDaniel. What he's done in drafting an offense this season to make a limited QB like Jones look good can't be overstated, it's a big deal. He'd be the guy I'd put next to Pederson as coaches to hire.

I wouldn't fire the current coaching staff, I'd let the next coach decide if he wants to keep any of them. I'd lobby for keeping Cullen, but it would be the coach's choice.

For free agency I'd be looking to get better on both lines, but particularly the offensive line, to the greatest extent possible, and find a receiver with at least as much ability as Chark to complement him. I'd also try to sign Chark for something like 3 years $40 million with 20 guaranteed, as sort of a sweetened prove it deal, better than using the franchise tag on him, it would essentially be a two year deal that could be reworked in 2023. If the coach I bring in really likes him I might go higher.

In the draft it has to be bap. I'd score all the players according to positional value and ability then just always pick the highest player left on the stack or trade back. Never give up value in the draft to fill temporary roster holes.

Fire everyone but Cullen and his staff. Let the new coach decide if that scheme fits his vision.

I’m hiring a proven NFL guy that players will gravitate too. Doesn’t necessarily have to have head coach experience, but proven NFL experience. Leftwich is probably my pick.

Franchising or one year deal Chark as insurance and going hard after Godwin and Gallup. Robinson is a good target too, but I want two of the 4 on the roster.

I actually believe the rest of the roster to be serviceable. The rest of free agency I’m looking for young ascending players at any position (offensive line a focus) because while serviceable, not many positions can’t be upgraded.

BAP throughout the draft. Probably means Thib, Hutch or Hamilton with the first pick. I think that would bring us close to .500 next year.

Yacht time!

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 11:49 AM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 4 times in total.)

Unless Shad can somehow fire his own son, the GM search is moot. We will continue to have "GM by committee" because Tony stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

If I were GM, I'd never let a RB get to a 2nd contract and draft one every 2 years. I'd draft mainly defense because historically, offensive free agents are more likely to be productive than defensive free agents. I'd pay the prime OL free agents whatever they wanted to come here. I'd pay a prime WR whatever he wanted to come here. I'd prioritize drafting players from SEC schools.

I start with a coach. I come up with a certain profile i want. A leader of men but also a fresh approach. I want a McVay type.

Personell wise I start with the offensive line. It is a big mess with lots of question marks. Cutting good players bcs they are not great players is dumb. I keep a few around. I might keep Cann and Taylor. I cant fix it all
In one year. I might be temptes by Neal but I just picked Little. But that would be a big prio

(12-18-2021, 01:50 PM)Holger Wrote: I start with a coach. I come up with a certain profile i want. A leader of men but also a fresh approach. I want a McVay type.

Personell wise I start with the offensive line. It is a big mess with lots of question marks. Cutting good players bcs they are not great players is dumb. I keep a few around. I might keep Cann and Taylor. I cant fix it all
In one year. I might be temptes by Neal but I just picked Little. But that would be a big prio

That reminds me, I'd try to sign Cam to a long term deal that's reasonable, something like 5 years, 70 million with 40 of it guaranteed.

He's not a great left tackle, but he's a good enough lineman that he should be kept, even if he moves to another position in the line down the road, and legit left tackle get paid more than this contract.

I'd also try to get Norwell and Linder back for a few years at a low price, something like 3 years and 25 million with 15 of it guaranteed for each. They're good enough to be bridges to the future, but if they want to retire or go for big money I'd let them go.

I'd move Taylor in to right guard for the rest of this season and put Little in at right tackle to see what they both offer. If he can play guard well I keep him around and put him there, maybe even offer him an extension to keep playing guard here.

I'd let Cann go.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 02:12 PM by TheDogCatcher. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-18-2021, 08:19 AM)NoShoes Wrote: Fire everyone but Cullen and his staff. Let the new coach decide if that scheme fits his vision.

This is my blueprint as well. Any offensive-minded HC candidate will need a really good reason why Cullen shouldn't be retained, and there really isn't one. If it's simply, I've never worked with him or I want to bring in my boy Gus Bradley, I tell the interviewee to get lost.  

I’m hiring a proven NFL guy that players will gravitate too. Doesn’t necessarily have to have head coach experience, but proven NFL experience. Leftwich is probably my pick.

I'm directing someone three steps disconnected from me to approach Mike Tomlin's agent at a gas station for plausible tampering deniability. If there's a decent shot that Tomlin wants out of Pittsburgh, I will have him know the Brinks truck is waiting for him in Jax. If not, I'm moving on to offensive-minded coaches because Tomlin is the only proven commodity among the defensive-minded HC candidates this cycle -- they're all retreads like Bowles, and I don't want any defensive guy handcuffing Trevor with a ball-control offense. Therefore, I'm interviewing Pederson, McDaniels, and Leftwich, and that's it. I'm keeping an open-mind and giving them all a fair shot to impress me with their vision for how to get the most out of Trevor and coach up a well-rounded supporting cast.  

Franchising or one year deal Chark as insurance and going hard after Godwin and Gallup. Robinson is a good target too, but I want two of the 4 on the roster.

I agree here. Chark deserves a second chance, but I wouldn't view him as more than a one-year deep-threat rental. Robinson is my top target because his value has dipped. I'll sell him on it's a new day in Jacksonville with a chance to catch 100+ passes. He might run into Bortles at the beach, but he'll never see him on the field.  

I actually believe the rest of the roster to be serviceable. The rest of free agency I’m looking for young ascending players at any position (offensive line a focus) because while serviceable, not many positions can’t be upgraded.

I like how you think. To fix the O-line, I'm resigning Norwell, trying to resign Linder on a stay-on-the-field incentive contract, letting Robinson and Cann walk, signing a veteran interior lineman, and targeting Armstead with some big bucks. I'll let the draft fall to me, and hopefully that gives me another quality O-line starter prospect to mold with Little and Bartsch. Finally, Little will start at one of the tackle spots depending on what happens in the draft and free agency. That means Jawaan Taylor will play out his rookie contract either as a starting guard or on the bench. Warhop is gone, so I'm feeling like this can be a quality unit. 

BAP throughout the draft. Probably means Thib, Hutch or Hamilton with the first pick. I think that would bring us close to .500 next year.

Yes, BAP all the way. This means Thib/Hutch in the top 3, or trade down a few spots and still nab Neal/Stingley/Hamilton. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Trevor can't run a pro offense? Lol since when?!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-18-2021, 01:50 PM)Holger Wrote: I start with a coach. I come up with a certain profile i want. A leader of men but also a fresh approach. I want a McVay type.

The GM will have no choice but to sort out the O-Line.

Robinson, Norwell, Shatley, and Cann are all set to be unrestricted free agents. They need to sign or draft several linemen just to fill out the position group with bodies. 
A reputable O-Line coach would be a welcome change as well. 

regarding players you mentioned:
Taylor is under rookie contract, so keeping him and attempting to salvage him as a guard is cheap. He doesn't look like he'll ever cut it at tackle.
Cann is a terrible pass protector and decent run blocker. I wouldn't sign him to anything beyond back-up level money.

(12-18-2021, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Robinson, Norwell, Shatley, and Cann are all set to be unrestricted free agents. They need to sign or draft several linemen just to fill out the position group with bodies. 

Taylor is under rookie contract, so keeping him and attempting to salvage him as a guard is cheap. He doesn't look like he'll ever cut it at tackle.
Cann is a terrible pass protector and decent run blocker. I wouldn't sign him to anything beyond back-up level money.

Norwell and Shatley need to be resigned. Cann has got to go. Taylor can compete at guard. If he can't earn a starting spot, I'm doing my best to trade him for a 7th round pick. There's a sucker born every day.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

How many times do you want to clean house? Why start a rebuild in the middle of a current rebuild, we have tons of cap space and draft capital. Let's get a good young coach like Kellen Moore and a functional OC because that is the direction the NFL is heading towards now and build a playoff caliber team with a generational talent under center.

(12-18-2021, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Agreed. That was one of my key points initially. I am targeting Terron Armstead and Orlando Brown Jr. at tackle and Connor Williams at guard without question. 

They absolutely have to find a positional coach to get the most out of this group moving forward or Lawrence's future here will be doomed. Bartch seems like he's improved a bit. Little may be decent or not. None of us really know because the kid hasn't been able to play that much this year due to the injury concern and coaching decisions I assume. 

They just have so many damn holes to address in the off season that they may have to consider packaging up those 3rd round picks and/or a future pick to move up to solidify a starting position. I am personally not that high on Evan Neal. In fairness to him though. I don't watch a lot of Alabama games and I am biased because of how Cam Robinson panned out for the team. 

I can tell you that I would be thrilled if they landed Jarrett Patterson at Center at some point in this draft though from ND along with Jamaree Salyer from UGA at guard. Tyler Linderbaum also seems like he could be worth the draft capital to move up on draft night to replace Brandon Linder. Linder just can't stay healthy.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Awesome thread idea and a lot of good ideas here as well. If I was GM of the Jags I would first look in the mirror and if I saw Trent Balke I would quit the position.

If still GM I would....

1. Hire Doug Pedersen. If unable to do that i would look at maybe Daboll or Leftwich.
2. At free agency I would target WR above all else and try to grab two starters. I'd also try to get a TE.
3. At draft I'd take BPA at top 5 pick, then offenseive playmakers as often as I could find them the rest of the way (without reaching). Fill holes if no offensive playmakers available. The only way I'd trade out of top 5 pick is if it was down no more than 5-8 spots and I'd get a major haul in return. Would not trade down for good picks next year, help is needed ASAP.

As with 2021, o-line is the first priority, and the second priority is way behind.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

1. Make myself footbal czar like Coughlin was and hire Eliot Wolf and Josh McDaniels. There is a lot of evidence that second time head coaches that didn't spend time away from the sport inbetween do very well their second time around. I also want the GM/HC pairing that have an established rapport working together.

2. Spend big on the staff and scouting. Shad has infinite money, but there is a finite amount he can spend on the players. Go crazy with the personnel there is no cap on that.

3. Spend big on quality over quantity in FA. Even if that means we only get 3-4 players, make them impact players. I know we won't get the elite of the elite FA with the stigma Jax has right now, so guy in that second tier like Gallup or Mike Williams (FA WR is priority #1), Marcus Williams, Laken Tomlinson, Connor Williams, etc. 1 WR and 1 starting caliber OT are musts.

4. Draft one of the two big pass rushers and then draft WR with the early 2nd. It's a good and deep IOL class so coming away with two of them in the mid rounds is the goal.

5. The main goals from a player upgrade standpoint whether it's FA or draft are a beast pass rusher across from Allen, two upgrades at WR, and at least one starting OT and one starting IOL.

That still leaves plenty to do in the back 7 defensively, but I think that's a good year 1 offseason blueprint.

If I were GM.....

- I would fire all of the offensive and special teams coaches and assistant head coach Charlie Strong.  I would maintain the defensive coaches.  I would let the new head coach make the call on the defensive coaches but would need to explain their reasoning during the interview process.

- If Tomlin is available, he's our new head coach.  The guy has literally never had a losing season and he's in his 15th year as a head coach.  Although I prefer someone on the offensive side of the ball, he is the one candidate being mentioned that I would be willing to make an exception.  He's that good and would give instant credibility and stability to the team.  He would be able to attract a good staff as well.  If he's not available, I would interview the offensive candidates that have commonly been mentioned.  I haven't settled on a favorite yet among them.  

- I disagree with mass cuts.  We have enough holes on this team without creating new ones.  Only cut someone if you are confident that you will obtain someone better.  

- It is a balancing act, but I would emphasize quality over quantity in free agency.  You can always find "just a guy" type players.  

- Assuming we are still picking #2 overall, I don't trade down unless someone offers a king's ransom.  I would take either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux.  Not only is this BAP, but I'm a fan big of pass rushers.  If you can put pressure on a team's quarterback, the offense will fall apart.  Our defense has not played bad this year and I think Hutch/Thibs would make them significantly better.  With the exception of this pick, I would emphasize offense in the off season and put most of my resources towards it.  I would try to find an upgrade to Damien Wilson.  I would also let Tre Herndon walk in free agency and try to find an upgrade.  I don't like Wingard as a starting safety, but I likely use our resources elsewhere and see what we have with Cisco in 2022.  If he sucks, the position goes on the wish list in 2023.

- I would emphasize offense in the off-season.  For wide receiver, I re-sign Chark, get the best wide receiver possible in free agency and use a draft pick at the position, most likely my second round pick.  For offensive line, if Armstead is available, I make a big push for him.  If not, I re-sign Cam and then move either Cam or Little to right tackle. I'd have Taylor compete at right guard, and if he doesn't win it, he's offensive line depth.  Norwell is a free agent.  While I don't oppose re-signing him, I would see if I could upgrade him in free agency.  For center, Linder is under contract for one more year.  I keep him but use a draft pick (probably one of our third round picks) on a center.  The player can be depth for a year and assuming he looks good, can take over for Linder in 2023.  Besides, Linder is hurt so often, the rookie will likely be playing.

- I would use one of our sixth round picks on a kicker.  I like our current punter and our return specialist.

- I would discourage people from saying "you can't turn it around in one year."  That's a loser mentality.  Some teams have made major turn arounds in one year.  Our goal is to do the same.  You prioritize your needs and then use your resources the best way you can to solve the problems that are preventing you from winning.