Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The #1 pick nobody wants

There is most likely gonna be a QB who shoots up the boards and gets overdrafted in a weak crop. It happens fairly often.

That said even if we don’t see that, there are quality players to be had

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is Baalke like loser GM thinking. Always great to have the #1 overall pick, not to mention that you have the first pick in every round as well.

Getting upset over an unfounded assumption of draft strategy 4 months early seems like a sane tack to steer.

I'm sure the Browns and 49ers are hating life right now being they had to settle for Bosa and Garrett

(12-19-2021, 05:44 PM)Ronster Wrote: They should let the Jags have the first 53 picks, THEN maybe we can find a receiver that can catch a damn ball

Watching the Packers right now and Alan Lazard continues to ball out. Too bad we didn't need him when he was here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 06:12 PM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-19-2021, 06:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm sure the Browns and 49ers are hating life right now being they had to settle for Bosa and Garrett

I don't see either of those guys in this draft. I see a "who is better now vs who has a higher ceiling" choice which usually ends up being the wrong one.

(12-19-2021, 06:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Getting upset over an unfounded assumption of draft strategy 4 months early seems like a sane tack to steer.

Show me the math that makes this assumption unfounded.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 06:19 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Say what you want, but I don't view this completely as a bad thing. There are 2 truly elite players in the next draft (Hutchinson and Thibodeaux) and we are guaranteed one of them. Would it be nice to trade down and still get one of these two players? Sure, but nothing would have been guaranteed. In all likelihood, these guys are going #1 and #2 overall, so our trade options would have been extremely limited, if we wanted to select one of the two best players in the draft. After these two, it would've been a crap shoot. Personally, I have WR Jameson Williams as my #3 overall player and then I believe there is a huge dropoff, so i believe trading down too far would have led to a big difference in the quality of player we would've ended up with.

DE/OLB is one of the many needs of this team, so selecting Hutchinson or Thibodeaux will be one of the many building blocks we need to begin assembling a good team. Remember, this also means we will be picking very high in each round as well, so there's an advantage too. Is it disappointing that picking #1 overall basically means we are as bad or worse than we were last season? Of course. It kills me to know that once again, we wasted so many draft picks, but at this point, we as Jaguar fans, unfortunately we are used to this kind of heartbreak. We should be so much better than we actually are at this point, but poor choice after poor choice has been made and here we are. All we can do is look forward. I'm normally a "half glass empty" kind of person, but at almost 51 years old, I'm choosing to look at the bright side this time. An elite player will be selected by our team and at least one major need will be filled. That's what I'm gonna focus on.

(12-19-2021, 06:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 06:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm sure the Browns and 49ers are hating life right now being they had to settle for Bosa and Garrett

I don't see either of those guys in this draft. I see a "who is better now vs who has a higher ceiling" choice which usually ends up being the wrong one.

(12-19-2021, 06:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Getting upset over an unfounded assumption of draft strategy 4 months early seems like a sane tack to steer.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

(12-19-2021, 06:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

It's December 

But prematurely getting upset over something that's not even a bad thing is very on-brand for you

(12-19-2021, 06:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 06:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I don't see either of those guys in this draft. I see a "who is better now vs who has a higher ceiling" choice which usually ends up being the wrong one.

It's December 

But prematurely getting upset over something that's not even a bad thing is very on-brand for you

You have awful football instincts. Your top priority is re-signing someone who went for 75 yards against the 30th ranked rush defense.

First, we need a competent GM.... that can actually draft.
Then a real NFL coach and not some OC or DC coach wannabe.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(12-19-2021, 06:42 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: First, we need a competent GM.... that can actually draft.

We need to get that guy from "Draft Day."  He'd be a step up from what we've had, right?

(12-19-2021, 06:42 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: First, we need a competent GM.... that can actually draft.

This is true. 

A single GM who owns full accountability for the pick and doesn't split the blame 3 ways when things go south.

(12-19-2021, 06:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 06:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's December 

You have awful football instincts. Your top priority is re-signing someone who went for 75 yards against the 30th ranked rush defense.

Stop putting words in my mouth [BLEEP] wad. 

I’ve never stated my off-season priorities. You don’t know them. 

My “instincts” tell me the same thing they did at this time last season. Which I was vocal about. 

Trevor will need protection.
That’s more than likely going to be my top priority but I haven’t had time to evaluate all of the needs in context of ranking them. There’s so many, it gets a little tricky to order them correctly. 

I can tell you what I’m not worried about:
Trade partners for the first overall pick.

I like free agency for o-line. These guys are not usually opposed to playing for the highest bidders

Having this pick could be the difference between having an elite pass rusher Vs. good pass rusher.

Could also be the difference between a favorable trade at the end of opening night or beginning of the second night.

The key is, is the next general manager and coach capable of fixing this [BLEEP] show and hitting on these picks?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-19-2021, 06:49 PM)Newton Wrote: I like free agency for o-line. These guys are not usually opposed to playing for the highest bidders

They need so many spots filled, they’ll have no choice but to utilize FA and draft IMO. 
They are losing 3 starters and two primary backups. 
I’d like to see them sew up two spots in FA right away though. 

(Obviously - Little may figure to be a replacement for one of those 3 starters.)

(12-19-2021, 06:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 05:44 PM)Ronster Wrote: They should let the Jags have the first 53 picks, THEN maybe we can find a receiver that can catch a damn ball

Watching the Packers right now and Alan Lazard continues to ball out. Too bad we didn't need him when he was here.

Ya, boggles the mind.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(12-19-2021, 07:19 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 06:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Watching the Packers right now and Alan Lazard continues to ball out. Too bad we didn't need him when he was here.

Ya, boggles the mind.

2 catches for 23 yards is balling out?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-19-2021, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 06:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You have awful football instincts. Your top priority is re-signing someone who went for 75 yards against the 30th ranked rush defense.

Stop putting words in my mouth [BLEEP] wad. 

I’ve never stated my off-season priorities. You don’t know them. 

My “instincts” tell me the same thing they did at this time last season. Which I was vocal about. 

Trevor will need protection.
That’s more than likely going to be my top priority but I haven’t had time to evaluate all of the needs in context of ranking them. There’s so many, it gets a little tricky to order them correctly. 

I can tell you what I’m not worried about:
Trade partners for the first overall pick.
Protecting Trevor should definitely be number 1 priority.  Thats why i still think Neal has a chance to improve his draft stock and its already top 3 imo just from watching him play, his size, being able to play 4 spots on the oline, and his athletic ability.  His still possibly has 2 games left against 3 of the best pass rushers in college.  Neal is the best LT Alabama has had imo

(12-19-2021, 08:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 07:19 PM)Ronster Wrote: Ya, boggles the mind.

2 catches for 23 yards is balling out?

Yes, on a team with 5 other legit options and as a part timer the guy makes plays. He's got 300 yards and 4 TDs this year, how nice would that be as our 3rd option the last few seasons?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato