Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I got some good news from a former NFL player - Trevor will be good

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2021, 10:09 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

I had the opportunity to meet Wilbur Grooms today.

He was drafted in the 16th round in 1973, by the Kansas City Chiefs. He played LB at Tampa University.

The Chiefs drafted OT Paul Krause that same year, along with TE Gary Butler. 

In short, I met him because he ordered our services and I went to his house. As I was working, he was standing outside making small talk, so I just randomly asked him if he watches the Jaguars. He immediately laughed and said yes.

He started talking about Khan and the entire organization, but I was more focused on my work and I was picking up a word or 2 here and there. Then he said “I played in the NFL, so I know how all that works.”

At that point he had my undivided attention. I asked who he played for and he said Kansas City, I played Linebacker. 

My first question was, man,,,is Trevor Lawrence good? He said yes, very good. He won in high school, college, and now he going through some learning curve stuff, but yes he’s a very good QB. He said he followed Lawrence in college and now in the pros, and he going through a ‘humbling process’

He then said the coaches, along with the owner is not helping him at all. He said the team needs a coach that has been around the game, and is willing to do whatever it takes to help Lawrence do what he does best. He went on to say the owner is not doing a good job because he is allowing this stuff to happen. He called it ownership, and said he doesn’t seem to care one way or another.

We talked about the old days vs the new days in pro football. But then he had to run an errand. Mr. Grooms is a class act. He even thanked me for talking football with him. I didn’t know who he was, and I had to look him up. 

Thought I would share you guys. 

Bottom line is he thinks Trevor Lawrence is a ‘very good’ QB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I live in Chicago, but i've talked with former Jaguars player John Jurkovic (he lives near me) quite a few times in the past few months. He kind of echoed that Wilbur Grooms said.

Lawrence has all the tools to be great, but the management is doing him zero favors. He told me he thinks Trevor is mature and strong minded enough to not let 1 horrible season bother him. But it's ruined many QB's in the past.

Trevor is going to be fine.

Every good QB analyst has spoken about process and not product. Trevor is processing everything at a high level already (from Nate Tice) but the product isn’t there due to various reasons many of us have outlined.

(12-22-2021, 09:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He then said the coaches, along with the owner is not helping him at all. 

I can't imagine what else Khan could have done. He hired Myer & every one thought he won the entire offseason. Who knew?

I think TLaw has everything it takes to be a successful QB in the NFL, except heart. & were not going to know if he's got the heart of an NFL QB for at least another year. 

& that's no insult to Lawrence, the NFL chews up & Spitz out smart/talented athletes all the time. 

I'm rooting for the kid, but he's not a good QB until he is. I'm only now coming around to thinking Hebert is going to make it.
ImATexan

TLaw with the Jags is like putting Lewis Hamilton in a Williams or Haas Formula One car.

(12-22-2021, 09:40 PM)Thunderkyss Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 09:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He then said the coaches, along with the owner is not helping him at all. 

I can't imagine what else Khan could have done. He hired Myer & every one thought he won the entire offseason. Who knew?

I think TLaw has everything it takes to be a successful QB in the NFL, except heart. & were not going to know if he's got the heart of an NFL QB for at least another year. 

& that's no insult to Lawrence, the NFL chews up & Spitz out smart/talented athletes all the time. 

I'm rooting for the kid, but he's not a good QB until he is. I'm only now coming around to thinking Hebert is going to make it.

Jerry Jones wouldn’t let James Robinson sit on the sidelines.

(12-22-2021, 09:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I had the opportunity to meet Wilbur Grooms today.

He was drafted in the 16th round in 1973, by the Kansas City Chiefs. He played LB at Tampa University.

In short, I met him because he ordered our services and I went to his house. As I was working, he was standing outside making small talk, so I just randomly asked him if he watches the Jaguars. He immediately laughed and said yes.

He started talking about Khan and the entire organization, but I was more focused on my work and I was picking up a word or 2 here and there. Then he said “I played in the NFL, so I know how all that works.”

At that point he had my undivided attention. I asked who he played for and he said Kansas City, I played Linebacker. 

My first question was, man,,,is Trevor Lawrence good? He said yes, very good. He won in high school, college, and now he going through some learning curve stuff, but yes he’s a very good QB. He said he followed Lawrence in college and now in the pros, and he going through a ‘humbling process’

He then said the coaches, along with the owner is not helping him at all. He said the team needs a coach that has been around the game, and is willing to do whatever it takes to help Lawrence do what he does best. He went on to say the owner is not doing a good job because he is allowing this stuff to happen. He called it ownership, and said he doesn’t seem to care one way or another.

We talked about the old days vs the new days in pro football. But then he had to run an errand. Mr. Grooms is a class act. He even thanked me for talking football with him. I didn’t know who he was, and I had to look him up. 

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully the people ownership is talking to is telling him the same thing. we need an experienced HC. No more OJT for the HC.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(12-22-2021, 09:40 PM)Thunderkyss Wrote:

What?  The majority of people thought the Urban hire was a terrible call.  Where were you?

(12-22-2021, 09:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: TLaw with the Jags is like putting Lewis Hamilton in a Williams or Haas Formula One car.

Queue my blank Homer Simpson stare.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Was he 91% sure this thing was going to start turning around soon?
s
;

;

(12-23-2021, 02:52 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: Was he 91% sure this thing was going to start turning around soon?

What do you mean ?

Well ultimately, it's just another person's opinion. It may be coming from someone who played at one time but those guys are up and down the ranks of coaching and personnel staffs throughout the NFL and they're not infallible. I hope Lawrence starts to develop with proper coaching. I have no reason to expect him not to but high draft choices do fail from time to time.

It would be very Jaguaresque for this one to go south.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-23-2021, 08:35 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Well ultimately, it's just another person's opinion. It may be coming from someone who played at one time but those guys are up and down the ranks of coaching and personnel staffs throughout the NFL and they're not infallible. I hope Lawrence starts to develop with proper coaching. I have no reason to expect him not to but high draft choices do fail from time to time.

It would be very Jaguaresque for this one to go south.

True Jaguars flare would be losing out in a trade where he goes on to destroy the competition somewhere else. And 25 percent of the board says good riddance he was a bad locker room guy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-22-2021, 09:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I had the opportunity to meet Wilbur Grooms today.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

According to some old LB? yeah ok

Simeon Rice said Rod Marinelli was gonna be the best coach in the league also so....
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Wilbur Grooms apparently was with the Chiefs for only a few months. In that relatively short period of time, he had first hand exposure to an organization that had great success. Including, a HOF owner ( Lamar Hunt ), HOF Head Coach ( Hank Stram ), and HOF QB ( Len Dawson ). At the very least, Grooms saw up close components of one of the best Pro Football organizations of the early Super Bowl years.

(12-23-2021, 05:30 PM)D6 Wrote: Wilbur Grooms apparently was with the Chiefs for only a few months.  In that relatively short period of time, he had first hand exposure to an organization that had great success. Including, a HOF owner ( Lamar Hunt ), HOF Head Coach ( Hank Stram ), and HOF QB ( Len Dawson ).  At the very least, Grooms saw up close components of one of the best Pro Football organizations of the early Super Bowl years.

Very good point.

With 16 games in the books Lawrence has:

3,418 yds 10 TDs 17 ints

Only 1 game with multiple TD passes which was week 1 vs Texans.

He has 5 games in which he threw 2 or more picks.

3 games in which he threw 3 or more picks.

69.6 RTG

Sacked 31 times (average)

Career Long Pass - 58 yards

I hope Mr. Grooms is right, but I don’t know boys...

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM by D6. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-24-2021, 07:14 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 05:30 PM)D6 Wrote: Wilbur Grooms apparently was with the Chiefs for only a few months.  In that relatively short period of time, he had first hand exposure to an organization that had great success. Including, a HOF owner ( Lamar Hunt ), HOF Head Coach ( Hank Stram ), and HOF QB ( Len Dawson ).  At the very least, Grooms saw up close components of one of the best Pro Football organizations of the early Super Bowl years.

Very good point.

Thank You.

If you have the opportunity to speak to Wilbur Grooms again, please mention to him that his input on the Message Board/ Forum would certainly be welcomed.  I definitely believe that his additional insight would be very interesting and helpful.

The first games were bad for Trevor, but then came the middle part of the season were he cut back on INTs and things looked like they might go somewhere, but the last games has been two steps back.

(01-03-2022, 11:40 PM)Norseman Wrote: The first games were bad for Trevor, but then came the middle part of the season were he cut back on INTs and things looked like they might go somewhere, but the last games has been two steps back.

I think that's more a sign that they are letting him throw. He should have been making these throws and mistakes early in the season. The fear of failure induced a paralysis in our passing game mid-season and did no favors to his development.

I think he's also trying to do too much himself, forcing passes he knows are high risk in the hopes that some spark occurs. As long as the picks aren't crushing his psyche, I don't see much harm in them at this stage of the season. It just sucks that we robbed him of nearly a full season of chances to grow due to over-conservative playcalls and coaching.