Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 Free Agency Wish List

(03-20-2022, 04:43 PM)Upper Wrote: The Bengals got Collins.

Take note. Katie Blackburn should be given NFL Executive of the Year. Anyone who says women should not be involved in football operations is an idiot. She has totally turned the Bengals around since taking over running the team from her father, Mike Brown. I am so impressed how she has gone out and gotten the players needed to get the Bengals right back into Superbowl contention. That O-Line should be very much improved. 

I talked to one of my friends today (he has Bengals season tickets) and he was telling me it looks like the team will draft a LT and move Jonah Williams inside to LG. Their lineup should look like this......

LT- Rookie
LG- Jonah Williams
C- Ted karras
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

That would be a huge upgrade from last season. That team is gonna be fun to watch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-20-2022, 07:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Take note. Katie Blackburn should be given NFL Executive of the Year. Anyone who says women should not be involved in football operations is an idiot. She has totally turned the Bengals around since taking over running the team from her father, Mike Brown. I am so impressed how she has gone out and gotten the players needed to get the Bengals right back into Superbowl contention. That O-Line should be very much improved. 

I talked to one of my friends today (he has Bengals season tickets) and he was telling me it looks like the team will draft a LT and move Jonah Williams inside to LG. Their lineup should look like this......

LT- Rookie
LG- Jonah Williams
C- Ted karras
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

That would be a huge upgrade from last season. That team is gonna be fun to watch.

We had this convo a while back.  I doubt they move their best lineman and put a rookie at LT

(03-20-2022, 07:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 07:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Take note. Katie Blackburn should be given NFL Executive of the Year. Anyone who says women should not be involved in football operations is an idiot. She has totally turned the Bengals around since taking over running the team from her father, Mike Brown. I am so impressed how she has gone out and gotten the players needed to get the Bengals right back into Superbowl contention. That O-Line should be very much improved. 

LT- Rookie
LG- Jonah Williams
C- Ted karras
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

We had this convo a while back.  I doubt they move their best lineman and put a rookie at LT

I live just outside Cincinnati and listen to local sports talk radio almost every day. Williams is not a good LT. He was never meant to be a starting LT. Cordy Glenn was supposed to be the starting LT when Williams was drafted, but Glenn got a concussion and he got into a dispute with the team about how the injury was being treated. Things got very ugly and Glenn was released, leaving Williams as their top option at LT. Moving Williams to either RT or inside to OG has been an almost daily discussion on the radio for at least 6 months. Williams allowed 8 sacks last season. That's not good. That's more than Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor combined.

(03-20-2022, 08:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 07:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We had this convo a while back.  I doubt they move their best lineman and put a rookie at LT

I live just outside Cincinnati and listen to local sports talk radio almost every day. Williams is not a good LT. He was never meant to be a starting LT. Cordy Glenn was supposed to be the starting LT when Williams was drafted, but Glenn got a concussion and he got into a dispute with the team about how the injury was being treated. Things got very ugly and Glenn was released, leaving Williams as their top option at LT. Moving Williams to either RT or inside to OG has been an almost daily discussion on the radio for at least 6 months. Williams allowed 8 sacks last season. That's not good. That's more than Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor combined.
I don't get into the sack number.  How many pressures did he give up vs Cams?

(03-20-2022, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 08:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I live just outside Cincinnati and listen to local sports talk radio almost every day. Williams is not a good LT. He was never meant to be a starting LT. Cordy Glenn was supposed to be the starting LT when Williams was drafted, but Glenn got a concussion and he got into a dispute with the team about how the injury was being treated. Things got very ugly and Glenn was released, leaving Williams as their top option at LT. Moving Williams to either RT or inside to OG has been an almost daily discussion on the radio for at least 6 months. Williams allowed 8 sacks last season. That's not good. That's more than Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor combined.
I don't get into the sack number.  How many pressures did he give up vs Cams?

Williams was 6th worst in the entire NFL in sacks allowed. He actually got significantly worse from the previous year. As far as pressures, I don't know. I don't even know where to find those stats unless you stumble upon them.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 10:14 AM by Mikey.)

(03-20-2022, 12:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 12:18 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: You do realise it’s very conceivable that these top wrs tell there teams not to trade them to Jacksonville , if there contracts staying the same it’s obvious they’re going to wanna play for a contender the rams may simply be granting his wishes. I dislike baalke as much as the next guy but saying he sucks for not securing woods is a bit of a stretch.

Baalke has failed to trade for Amari Cooper, he fails to trade for Robert Woods, he so far has not traded for either of the Seattle receivers who the Seahawks have said they will listen to offers for and he lets D.J. Chark walk, in favor of drastically overpaying an average slot receiver (Christian Kirk) and a guy who would probably be camp fodder on most teams, (Zay Jones.) As of now, I am not convinced we've upgraded the receiving unit at all. It seems as though it's all gonna depend on who we draft. We lack an X receiver who can stretch the field and a possession WR who can consistently move the chains.

We gon diez!!!1!

I don't know why we even bother playing the games.

(03-20-2022, 08:32 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Quite frankly, I don't see anything all that impressive about Woods.  He's a good receiver but nothing to get your panties twisted over.  But hey, everybody's entitled to their over-the-top opinion.

He's 30 (or will be this year) and his performance is trending downwards. Didn't the tacks try the same thing and fail last season?

I'm all for them failing yet again.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 10:24 AM by Mikey.)

(03-20-2022, 11:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 11:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Malcolm Brown is a free agent after this season and DaVon Hamilton is developing but his play was still pretty inconsistent.

The Jags also ranked 23rd in yards allowed on the ground last year. Upgrading run defense was indeed a need. The two best ways to do that are DT and ILB. They did both even though half of the ILB equation is yet unsolved. 
I can't imagine faulting the NT addition we made. Very wise free agent move IMO. 

Nothing personal, but every time the Jags make a move that doesn't fit some incredibly specific parameters you've set your heart on, you tend to lash out with some off-the-charts hyperbole. 
Respectfully - I don't think it's quite as bad as you're making it out to be. 

None of us are thrilled with the current state of the Jags receiving corps, but it's still mid-March. 
And the Jags have better hands available to Trevor Lawrence than he had in 2021 with another addition almost assuredly on the way.  

TBA Early Draft Pick + Kirk + Engram + Z.Jones is a solid upgrade for a 2nd year promising QB. 
If Lawrence's line protects marginally better than last season - these additions should help him produce respectfully in Pederson's offense. 

I never expected a team with this many blatant hurdles to overcome to hit a home run in free agency since so many players want to go to immediate contenders - but we may have actually cracked one awkwardly off the backstop for a stand up double.

Brown is a FA after this season, so I'd deal with it then. Right now, I like him and Hamilton. As far as ranking 23rd in rushing yards allowed, much of that had to do with the terrible play of both our ILB's. Jack and Wilson were putrid. Thank God we will be starting over at the position. Foye Oloukun is better than both those guys combined. I just think the money we spent on NT, would've been spent wiser by using it to trade for a good WR and possibly extending them. 

I just don't see a significant difference in the WR unit. How is Trevor supposed to grow as a QB when he has no decent targets? Unless we trade up into round 1, I just don't see a difference making WR falling to us at #33. With Green Bay now needing a WR, I see all of the top guys gone by pick #22 and after London, Williams, Olave, Wilson and Dotson, I see a huge dropoff at the position. I still think there is good receivers to be had, but I don't see much of a difference between the guys who fall to round 2 and the ones in round 6. They are pretty much all hit and miss. It's a deep WR draft, but they guys at the top are the cream of the crop. 

It depends on who the early round pick is. Kirk is an average slot receiver, Engram is good, but he has to prove he can stay healthy. He's only played a full season once out of the last 5 years and I'm not even sure Zay Jones is good enough to make the final roster. I just don't see much of a difference in the receivers, even with better protection. 

We definitely got better on defense. I'm not arguing that. I believe we got better at OG as well and if Engram stays healthy (which is a big "if",) we got better at TE, but this team cannot have an average slot receiver as it's top WR.

I think this is where you differ with a lot of the posters here. Kicking the can down the road isn't always the worst thing, but sometimes filling the hole before it swallows everything you built is better. Signing an NT before it's a glaring need, darfting a tackle before Cam's franchise year elapses are both ways to ensure that next year we are not in desperation to fill holes.

Go look at how desperate teams draft, or sign FA, and see how it works out. Not being desperate allows you flexibility. It prevents overspending.
You're right, a lot of these things we're doing today are not needs TODAY. But when tomorrow comes, we're in better shape than had we sat back and did nothing.

(03-20-2022, 12:26 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 11:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Crazy to think a slot WR putting up 982 yards is a average slot WR.  We need some more of these average players.  It's good to know that Kirk will also have a QB that can see over the line

982 yards in 17 games is just not that impressive dude.

...how's 556 in 9 games?
Wink

(03-20-2022, 12:54 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 12:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I disagree dude.  How many slot WRs had over that?

Kupp, Deebo, Tyreek, Lockett, Diontae, Keenan, Godwin, Ceedee, and Renfrow all played more than 50% of their snaps from the slot and all had over 1k yards. Many of those played less than 17 games too.

Kirk is a pretty good player, you don't have to blow him up into some elite anything just because he is now a Jaguar.

...do those stats provide how much of their yardage was gained from the slot?

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 02:39 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Matt Ryan to the Colts

(03-20-2022, 07:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

LT- Rookie
LG- Jonah Williams
C- Ted karras
RG- Alex Cappa
RT- La'el Collins

First, Katie Blackburn has done a helluva job rebuilding th Bengals' O-Line.

Even assuming they don't find the LT to move Jonah Williams inside, their OL is much better than it was last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Didn't take long for olinematters to go from bashing Cappa when I suggested he would be a decent add for us to saying he was a huge upgrade for Cincy.

(03-21-2022, 04:30 PM)Upper Wrote: Didn't take long for olinematters to go from bashing Cappa when I suggested he would be a decent add for us to saying he was a huge upgrade for Cincy.

Haha, I remember that

(03-21-2022, 04:30 PM)Upper Wrote: Didn't take long for olinematters to go from bashing Cappa when I suggested he would be a decent add for us to saying he was a huge upgrade for Cincy.

I still don't like Cappa, but when they added Ted Karras and La'el Collins, those were absolutely brilliant moves that made up for it.They now have a HUGE upgrade at RT and Center.

I don't know much about him, but PFF gave him a great 81 grade over a tiny 90 snap sample and several fans are upset that they aren't keeping him. I'd happily kick the tires on him.

https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/1506262080814469122

I would do this

https://twitter.com/Rob_Bradley/status/1...QdJxTxT94g

In a heartbeat.

Atlanta would be really stupid to do this, considering they ignored QB in a strong QB draft to take Pitts in the first place.

If they traded Pitts away as part of a move to get an inferior QB prospect to what they could have had last year would be mind numbingly stupid.

Of course, being a Jaguars fan, I would welcome such a move.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 07:43 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Armstead to the Dolphins, 5 year 75 mil.  A good price

That's less than what Baalke is gonna extend Cam for I bet.

Imagine if we had given Armstead that contract and gotten two of Connor, Daniels, Corbett, Glowinski, Allen that signed for the 7-9M range each. We'd be a WAY better oline right now for basically the same money.

(03-22-2022, 07:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Armstead to the Dolphins, 5 year 75 mil.  A good price

I'm glad he didn't go to Indy.

(03-22-2022, 08:09 PM)Upper Wrote: That's less than what Baalke is gonna extend Cam for I bet.

Imagine if we had given Armstead that contract and gotten two of Connor, Daniels, Corbett, Glowinski, Allen that signed for the 7-9M range each. We'd be a WAY better oline right now for basically the same money.

consider the following:
Quote:Imagine if we had given Armstead that contract and gotten two of RRH, Jenkins, MJJ, Agnew, Griffin that signed for the 7-9M range each. We'd be a WAY better oline right now for basically the same money.

cuz that's kinda what I hear.