Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lowest Point In Jags History?

(01-03-2022, 10:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 10:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Curious. I am sure a moderator can provide the details. Why did the team website ultimately shut down the fan forum?

I know it's been quite a few years now. However, I can recall a time where interaction between players and fans and even ownership occured on there.

Understanding of the presence on social media between FaceBook, InstaGram, Twitter and SnapChat. However, that's mostly limited to a younger audience.

Also, elder millienials, generation X and boomers are plenty capable of using such platforms. However, it's limited text/character wise. So, great fans with great thoughts are thus limited and cut off from voicing said concerns.

I am sure I understand the reasoning behind it. To an extent. Probably couldn't take the heat anymore. But, thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You answered your own question.  The TEAM elected to shut down the message board on Jaguars.com and focus on other forms of social media.

As much as people whine about this board and the mods, these guys kept this up and running on their own.
Yeah. Figured as much. Real shame though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It is indeed. Every day baalke is here more damage is incurred and what little goodwill among the fans that’s left is eroded

This is a good question. Following a 50-10 shellacking from the Patriots and a combined 3 wins over the past 2 seasons, my initial answer would be "yes." Having the 1st pick in consecutive years is an embarrassment and places us alongside the Browns, Lions and Jets as worst franchises in modern NFL history.

As an eternal optimist regarding the Jaguars, I can make a case that all hope is not lost based on the following:

1. A new general manager must be hired following this season. This team has failed due to its inability to draft the best players, especially in round 1. Regardless of how good the quarterback is, if he doesn't have a good supporting cast the team cannot win. Khan needs to listen to his fanbase and not show the patience with Baalke that he did with Caldwell. Hiring a competent general manager is at the top of my list.

2. Khan and the new general manager must pick the right guy as head coach. Hopefully the G.M. will be hired first and be part of this process. There are several very good candidates who would likely be interested. My main criteria is that they have adequate experience and strong leadership ability. If Peterson interviews well, he would be an excellent choice. If there are significant concerns regarding his departure from Philly, there are other good candidates who have been mentioned since Meyer was fired.

3. Trevor Lawrence has the potential to be an elite NFL quarterback. Those who have already called him a "bust" are not being reasonable. He has had very little help from his receivers this season and the offensive line got progressively worse. Add in the fact that rookie quarterbacks typically struggle and I have ZERO concerns that he can be a great quarterback. He has the physical tools and leadership ability to thrive in the NFL, but he still will need an adequate supporting cast.

4. No doubt, the 2021 Jaguars had the least talent of any team in the NFL. It will take at least 2 good draft classes and free agent acquisitions to challenge the Titans and Colts for the AFC South title. That being said, there are some current players I believe are capable of being part of the foundation of this team moving forwards. Cam Robinson played much better this season and should be franchised again and Walker Little is likely to take over at right tackle. Dan Arnold was the best receiving tight end we have seen in a Jaguars uniform in a long time. If James Robinson and Etienne both recover sufficiently, their running back position can be a strength. The draft and free agency must focus on revamping the interior of the offensive line and adding at least 2 receivers- one of which has the speed our current group lacks. On defense, Hamilton, Brown, Smoot, Jack, Griffin and Campbell, along with a healthy Josh Allen, have all shown enough to remain part of the 2022 team. Cisco also has the physical tools and should also be part of this defense alongside Jenkins at safety. Adding Thibodeaux or Hutchinson would give this defense a huge boost.

5. It goes without saying that Shad Khan has done a terrible job. However, I give him credit for firing Meyer, a guy he so badly wanted to hire. I believe he'll also fire Baalke following the wrath our fans have shown about the possibility of him being retained. Khan is also willing to spend a lot of money on free agents, more than any other owners during his time here.

These 5 factors allow me to still have hope that this franchise can be turned around. However, if Khan does retain Baalke, my hope will be gone and I will most likely no longer be a season ticket-holder. We will know the answer to this question no later than 24 hours after the season finale against the Colts.

(01-03-2022, 10:47 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is a good question. Following a 50-10 shellacking from the Patriots and a combined 3 wins over the past 2 seasons, my initial answer would be "yes."  Having the 1st pick in consecutive years is an embarrassment and places us alongside the Browns, Lions and Jets as worst franchises in modern NFL history.

As an eternal optimist regarding the Jaguars, I can make a case that all hope is not lost based on the following:

1. A new general manager must be hired following this season. This team has failed due to its inability to draft the best players, especially in round 1. Regardless of how good the quarterback is, if he doesn't have a good supporting cast the team cannot win. Khan needs to listen to his fanbase and not show the patience with Baalke that he did with Caldwell. Hiring a competent general manager is at the top of my list.

2. Khan and the new general manager must pick the right guy as head coach. Hopefully the G.M. will be hired first and be part of this process. There are several very good candidates who would likely be interested. My main criteria is that they have adequate experience and strong leadership ability. If Peterson interviews well, he would be an excellent choice. If there are significant concerns regarding his departure from Philly, there are other good candidates who have been mentioned since Meyer was fired.

3. Trevor Lawrence has the potential to be an elite NFL quarterback. Those who have already called him a "bust" are not being reasonable. He has had very little help from his receivers this season and the offensive line got progressively worse. Add in the fact that rookie quarterbacks typically struggle and I have ZERO concerns that he can be a great quarterback. He has the physical tools and leadership ability to thrive in the NFL, but he still will need an adequate supporting cast.

4. No doubt, the 2021 Jaguars had the least talent of any team in the NFL. It will take at least 2 good draft classes and free agent acquisitions to challenge the Titans and Colts for the AFC South title. That being said, there are some current players I believe are capable of being part of the foundation of this team moving forwards. Cam Robinson played much better this season and should be franchised again and Walker Little is likely to take over at right tackle. Dan Arnold was the best receiving tight end we have seen in a Jaguars uniform in a long time. If James Robinson and Etienne both recover sufficiently, their running back position can be a strength. The draft and free agency must focus on revamping the interior of the offensive line and adding at least 2 receivers- one of which has the speed our current group lacks. On defense, Hamilton, Brown, Smoot, Jack, Griffin and Campbell, along with a healthy Josh Allen, have all shown enough to remain part of the 2022 team. Cisco also has the physical tools and should also be part of this defense alongside Jenkins at safety. Adding Thibodeaux or Hutchinson would give this defense a huge boost.

5. It goes without saying that Shad Khan has done a terrible job. However, I give him credit for firing Meyer, a guy he so badly wanted to hire. I believe he'll also fire Baalke following the wrath our fans have shown about the possibility of him being retained. Khan is also willing to spend a lot of money on free agents, more than any other owners during his time here.

These 5 factors allow me to still have hope that this franchise can be turned around. However, if Khan does retain Baalke, my hope will be gone and I will most likely no longer be a season ticket-holder. We will know the answer to this question no later than 24 hours after the season finale against the Colts.

And therein lies the largest source of angst in point #2. Khan should be doing that RIGHT NOW. Instead, he still has Baalke on the payroll potentially keeping away quality HC hires. There's been lots of rumor concerning the future of Baalke with no definite proclamation from Khan. This is what drives this madness. He does everything in half measures.

(01-03-2022, 10:21 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Glad I’m not the only one it seems.

If it truly is the lowest point, there’s no where to go but up I guess. Just sucks that this team consistently wins 2-5 games every year when other teams can consistently win 6+ No matter what.

You probably shouldn't say that...
This is most likely true but 3 wins in 2 years?!
It legit has to be better….. right?

Shoot. Maybe not….

Caldrac, you said all that needs to be said

(01-03-2022, 10:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 10:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Glad I’m not the only one it seems.

If it truly is the lowest point, there’s no where to go but up I guess. Just sucks that this team consistently wins 2-5 games every year when other teams can consistently win 6+ No matter what.

Nowhere to go but up?  No.  It's the lowest point so far.  But as we have seen time and time again, it can always get worse.

[Image: 93f3eb0ba2f6aaf6f7f1b7a7b77c8291.jpg]

(01-03-2022, 10:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 10:47 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is a good question. Following a 50-10 shellacking from the Patriots and a combined 3 wins over the past 2 seasons, my initial answer would be "yes."  Having the 1st pick in consecutive years is an embarrassment and places us alongside the Browns, Lions and Jets as worst franchises in modern NFL history.

And therein lies the largest source of angst in point #2. Khan should be doing that RIGHT NOW. Instead, he still has Baalke on the payroll potentially keeping away quality HC hires. There's been lots of rumor concerning the future of Baalke with no definite proclamation from Khan. This is what drives this madness. He does everything in half measures.

Agree with you that Baalke should already be gone.

(01-03-2022, 10:32 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I think we've consistently proven we don't know what rock-bottom is.

So true.  Years ago, I left the stadium when we were losing 24-0 to the hapless Bears.  I thought that was rock bottom.  Little did I now we weren't even close to hitting rock bottom at that time.

After realizing Meyer literally wasted a year of this franchise's time

(01-03-2022, 11:40 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 10:32 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I think we've consistently proven we don't know what rock-bottom is.

So true.  Years ago, I left the stadium when we were losing 24-0 to the hapless Bears.  I thought that was rock bottom.  Little did I now we weren't even close to hitting rock bottom at that time.

No. We were just breaking the topsoil.

The low point was the day we realized that Meyer and Baalke were going to be in charge. All of what's happened since then was predicted on that day.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-03-2022, 12:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The low point was the day we realized that Meyer and Baalke were going to be in charge. All of what's happened since then was predicted on that day.

Jags fans are pretty much equivalent to the Nazi Resistance.  We could both see total destruction in the near future after the formation of new leadership.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2022, 12:39 PM by Newton.)

Urban Meyer was the worst choice at the worst time. Now we need to hit on a coach who can make things right. I’m cautiously optimistic, given so the names we are seeing, but I’m worried if we do not ask relatively quickly, we will lose them to other teams.

Given we are at rock-bottom, hopefully from here is up.

I get the sentiment about feeling like this is rock bottom given the clown show that was put on this year, but I'd argue that there is much more to be optimistic about regarding our situation than there was in 2012/2013. There is talent on this roster. Do not forget that key assets that were expected to contribute significantly this year were injured early on (Etienne, Chark). Also, despite a disappointing rookie campaign for Trevor, my faith in him being "the guy" is unwavering at this time. He stands tall in the pocket and goes through his progressions which is what is required for a QB to have a long successful career. He's not elite yet. He's not able to throw guys open yet. He just doesn't have anything of note around him yet to help. He will be better next year and he'll have weapons next year. Those two things combined should mean a huge leap for him.

We also likely have the number 1 pick again and 1st pick in each round which means either a windfall of picks in a trade back scenario or another hopefully very good player at 1. We also have extra picks next year. We also have plenty of cap space. This is an attractive situation for a GM and a coach. Our owner is generally patient. His hand was forced this year because of the circumstances and frequency of instances, but his generally patient nature is attractive to GM and Head Coach candidates. Conversely, at the end of the Gene Smith era, we had very little talent. Guys that started for us would not start on other rosters with very few exceptions. Despite that, the number 1 pick eluded us and even though we often had a top 5 or top 10 pick, in retrospect the pick was often awful due to poor scouting or poor GM analysis/board building or both. This was not an attractive situation at the time versus other vacancies (i.e. Kansas City).

I think the level of optimism that still exists for me makes this not a rock bottom situation. If you feel like you have your QB, and I still strongly do, it can't be rock bottom. Rock bottom would be never picking high enough to get your guy while wallowing at the bottom of the league for years, then finally getting your "guy" at 3 and committing to him way longer than you should have when it was plain as day he wasn't an NFL starting caliber quarterback (he was left handed, but threw with his right? And you knew this? GTFOOH) and then missing out on Mahomes, Watson (even with his off the field issues), Jackson and probably others that you did have the opportunity to draft. Rock bottom from here would be Trevor sustaining a career threatening injury or wanting out.

In short, the Jaguars GM/HC vacancies are attractive and probably the most attractive in the league this offseason. We can't screw it up this time. I'm presuming Baalke is gone at the end of the year, but keeping him would very likely be screwing it up. I think Trevor realizes he has enough clout to request to be involved in the process which is what I'm presuming his request to meet with Khan 1 on 1 is about. I think there are still more positives for our current situation than there were at the end of 2012 which makes 2012 closer to rock bottom than where we are now. Barring catastrophic injury to Trevor, significantly brighter days for Jaguar fans are coming next year, I promise you.

Definitely feels like a low point, probably because we don’t have e false illusion of some hero in the draft saving us. We’re not coming to terms with it’s an ownership/gm problem we can change the gm but with the same ownership will it matter? Can’t change the owner we’re stuck with him this clown.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I think the real question is. Can it get worse?

Yes, I remember when we beat the clots in a meaningless game so they could lock up the Luck pick just after the Manning era and we were still looking for that generational guy. Last year after we locked up Lawrence I thought that was us, but they look totally out played every game. Here’s to hoping we just have the worst coaching staff in history and make a drastic improvement next year. If not we’re probably set back another 4-5 years at least

(01-03-2022, 02:30 PM)Jagson Wrote: I think the real question is. Can it get worse?

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=7374248]

Definitely seems the lowest we've been to me.

The next hires Khan makes will determine whether i renew STs or not.