Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sports and streaming

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 02:31 PM by mikesez.)

As I look back on how I got into sports, as a kid, cable TV was a big part of it.  I can remember being middle school age and watching the 3rd place game of the World Cup, just because it was on, and there wasn't much else on.  I mean who cares about the 3rd place game of the world cup unless your country is in it? But I watched it.

My kids would never do that.  They'd be binge watching something instead.  They'd find something on Netflix or Amazon prime to amuse themselves before they ever thought of flipping over to live sports. They do have the option, but they have literally thousands of choices of cartoons and kids shows they can access just as easily.  When I was a kid, sports only had to beat out 2 channels, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.  If they were both playing something I wasn't into, I'd go to sports.

It makes me wonder if my kids' generation will ever care about televised sports as much as me and my generation did.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 04:00 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think if you’re into sports, you’re into sports.  As a kids all we did was play sports.  If no friends were around, I’d be outside playing/practicing alone.  Back in the days when rainy days suck!  But I was also not big into video games.  Today video games exploded in popularity due to the different consoles and PC along with the numerous options of games.  Factor in, like you said, having practically every show made at your fingertips,  kids aren’t outside nearly as much as they should. 

My daughter is starting to get like what you described with your kids.  Luckily she got my competitive genes so it’s pretty easy for me to get her to go outside and play a sport. 

Side note, speaking of streaming vs cable/sat,  I was asking an employee today why it was I that was “living in the Stone Age” when I got my television beamed from outer space and his streaming required underground cable or fiber.  We were just joking obviously.

In our house the TV was not on except right after school for an afternoon show we liked and at night for a couple of shows. Saturday was cartoon day for sure. But that was it. We just weren't allowed to sit in front of it for hours on end. The Olympics were the only sport on our television. My mom and step dad just weren't into sports.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022, 08:09 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Perhaps I’m different, but I look at TV as something to do as retiring for the night.  I may have a show DVR’d and it’s 6 in the evening, but I don’t even think about watching until after a shower and settling down in bed.  It’s really not my thing.  Unless im laying in bed, and if so, don’t you take my remote!  Prime example.  Wife had a work dinner tonight, Daugher is staying at grandmas.  I had the house to myself for a few hours tonight.  Tv hasn’t been on at all. Had a drink or two.  Ate dinner and I’ll shower in a bit.  I listened to musics the whole time my wife was gone.  She’ll be back in a minute.  And I will fight her to the death for the bedroom remote after my shower.

I can't have a television in the bedroom. I would never sleep. Ever. Before we got married my husband said he'd turn on a show and fall asleep to it. Me? I need silence (other than the low hum of the ceiling fan) and darkness to sleep. As soon as the sun starts peeking around the side of the blackout curtains and my early morning neighbors start their vehicles to go to work I am waking up and won't go back to sleep.

(01-04-2022, 10:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I can't have a television in the bedroom. I would never sleep. Ever. Before we got married my husband said he'd turn on a show and fall asleep to it. Me? I need silence (other than the low hum of the ceiling fan) and darkness to sleep. As soon as the sun starts peeking around the side of the blackout curtains and my early morning neighbors start their vehicles to go to work I am waking up and won't go back to sleep.

My stepdaughter leaves the TV on all night.  I don't get it.  For one, I need it as dark as possible.  I have trouble sleeping once it starts getting light.  A 'late' morning for me is 6:00...occasionally 6:30.  But I'm usually up at 5:00 to get in my 4 mile walk.

I've been sleeping with a pedestal oscillating fan on for more than 40 years.  I started doing it when I was on shift work and had to sleep during the day.  I'd put cardboard cutouts in the windows and a sleep therapist had told us to have some 'white noise'...like the fan.  I actually will have trouble sleeping when I'm out of town without my fan.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-04-2022, 11:03 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 10:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I can't have a television in the bedroom. I would never sleep. Ever. Before we got married my husband said he'd turn on a show and fall asleep to it. Me? I need silence (other than the low hum of the ceiling fan) and darkness to sleep. As soon as the sun starts peeking around the side of the blackout curtains and my early morning neighbors start their vehicles to go to work I am waking up and won't go back to sleep.

My stepdaughter leaves the TV on all night.  I don't get it.  For one, I need it as dark as possible.  I have trouble sleeping once it starts getting light.  A 'late' morning for me is 6:00...occasionally 6:30.  But I'm usually up at 5:00 to get in my 4 mile walk.

I've been sleeping with a pedestal oscillating fan on for more than 40 years.  I started doing it when I was on shift work and had to sleep during the day.  I'd put cardboard cutouts in the windows and a sleep therapist had told us to have some 'white noise'...like the fan.  I actually will have trouble sleeping when I'm out of town without my fan.

I feel you on that. The other is my husband has 2x4s to raise the head of the bed a couple of inches to help with his acid reflux that he no longer has due to change of diet. We're so used to the 2" difference that we don't sleep well without it so we keep it that way. When I go stay with my parents for a weekend I want to bring a couple of 2x4s to put under the feet of the head of the bed frame. Lol. 

We're staying at an Airbnb in the mountains for a week in a couple of months and I'm taking some 2x4s. Hopefully we can set the bed up with no problem.

(01-04-2022, 11:03 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

Same. I have to have my fan. Can't stand light at all. Actually removed the TV from our bedroom. We sleep with our door open now though incase our son wakes up but I had to put pieces of electrical tape over the power light indicators on the electronics in the living room.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-04-2022, 11:23 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 11:03 PM)RicoTx Wrote: My stepdaughter leaves the TV on all night.  I don't get it.  For one, I need it as dark as possible.  I have trouble sleeping once it starts getting light.  A 'late' morning for me is 6:00...occasionally 6:30.  But I'm usually up at 5:00 to get in my 4 mile walk.

Same. I have to have my fan. Can't stand light at all. Actually removed the TV from our bedroom. We sleep with our door open now though incase our son wakes up but I had to put pieces of electrical tape over the power light indicators on the electronics in the living room.

YES! Why does every dang thing have lights? Even my humidifiers have lights that I have to cover with black electrical tape. What is the purpose? It drives me bonkers.

It’s funny what you learn to sleep through. On an aircraft carrier I could sleep through an F-14 throttling up its 5 stage afterburner 20 feet above my head along with the catapult stroke and the two ton steam piston slamming into the water brake and stopping in 15 feet from over a hundred miles an hour. It shook the whole ship. But if someone rattled their keys getting into a locker close by, it woke me.

I think with the prevalence of live sports betting and fantasy sports, that's what will keep kids into these days, at a certain age of course.

Off topic but related to a few posts. Have my white noise electronic device along with electrical tape over all those annoying lights. Without that, my mind wonders off into either day to day planning or some weird [BLEEP] rabbit whole [BLEEP].

(01-05-2022, 06:02 PM)Jags Wrote: Off topic but related to a few posts.  Have my white noise electronic device along with electrical tape over all those annoying lights.  Without that, my mind wonders off into either day to day planning or some weird [BLEEP] rabbit whole [BLEEP].

You live in the rabbit hole dude.  Big Grin

(01-04-2022, 11:23 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Same. I have to have my fan. Can't stand light at all. Actually removed the TV from our bedroom. We sleep with our door open now though incase our son wakes up but I had to put pieces of electrical tape over the power light indicators on the electronics in the living room.

You could also try closing your eyes.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I can sleep just fine with the tv on, fall asleep like that most nights tbh. But put me in a dark room with one electronic light shining…it’s like trying to sleep in the light of a 1000 suns!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 09:07 PM by Jags.)

(01-05-2022, 08:27 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 06:02 PM)Jags Wrote: Off topic but related to a few posts.  Have my white noise electronic device along with electrical tape over all those annoying lights.  Without that, my mind wonders off into either day to day planning or some weird [BLEEP] rabbit whole [BLEEP].

You live in the rabbit hole dude.  Big Grin

Not gonna argue too much on that.

(01-05-2022, 08:55 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I can sleep just fine with the tv on, fall asleep like that most nights tbh. But put me in a dark room with one electronic light shining…it’s like trying to sleep in the light of a 1000 suns!

Truth

(01-05-2022, 08:55 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I can sleep just fine with the tv on, fall asleep like that most nights tbh. But put me in a dark room with one electronic light shining…it’s like trying to sleep in the light of a 1000 suns!

That's how we go to sleep every night. The timer turns the TV off.

(01-05-2022, 04:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s funny what you learn to sleep through. On an aircraft carrier I could sleep through an F-14 throttling up its 5 stage afterburner 20 feet above my head along with the catapult stroke and the two ton steam piston slamming into the water brake and stopping in 15 feet from over a hundred miles an hour. It shook the whole ship. But if someone rattled their keys getting into a locker close by, it woke me.

Same here.  Our berthing was on the O3 level as far forward as you could go on the ship (right between the water brakes).  I could sleep all day during flight ops, yet if there was a GQ or Man Overboard alarm I would immediately wake up.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm the type that I cannot fall asleep if I just lay down in a dark, quiet room. I need some background noise, whether it's tv, youtube, or some music.

If I lay down with no other noise, my mind races trying to find a noise to focus on, tossing, turning, the whole routine.

light doesn't bother me, we have several lights in the bedroom, bath and hallways to avoid tripping over stupid cats and their toys, and ensuring that kids rising from slumber don't do the same.